It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:59 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
No one runs plays for Gobert. If the metric favors guys that simply dunk then there's a problem with the metric.

Except dunking is the highest-percentage "shot" in basketball, shouldn't a metric reward players that can do it well?

Quote:
I see you left off a lot of guys from the top 20 also.

You said:

Quote:
If look at they guys that comprise the top 20 in the offensive rating there isn't one that you'd run a play for.

I listed 10 marquee names in the top-20 with proper minutes requirements. If you up the minutes requirement to 25+, the names on that list will be better and better. Tell me, when shifting goalposts doesn't work, what do you have left?

I will go back and look at it again but I didn't go as deep in the weeds with it as you but if you up the minutes limit obviously you get different list of names. Fact remains that any rating that lists Gobert at the top in both offense and defense is a bad rating. I haven't really had the time but While you are at it explain to me how Klay Thompson and Paul George are nowhere to be found on any of these top lists? Per doesn't have either in the top 50 players.

You are making a ton of excuses as to why the list is flawed also. I really haven't moved the goalpost you have. I simply provided example. I misstated and exaggerated the one thing. I wasn't really paying attention as I typed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:03 pm 

IMU wrote:
Cousins, as a center, this season is shooting .449 If we're going to talk about bad shooting and scoring solely based on "shot attempts," why do you rip on Butler but not Cousins (or Carmelo?)

Furthermore...if we're talking about isoball...Butler has more assists than Cousins has. Last season, Cousins was #1 overall in Usage Pct and this year is #2 overall.

Cousins is isoball.

Here is the thing with "Isoball". Isoball isn't necessarily a bad thing all the time. It also isn't a bad thing when you have a dynamic offensive player. Butler isn't that. The eyetest strongly suggests that. Your great offensive players tend to be great iso guys too. Butler isn't a great offensive player. He is a average to good offensive player that has the ball in his hands quite a bit.

James and Irving won a championship playing iso ball but they are both great offensive players. Kobe Bryant won playing iso ball and so did Jordan. It can work when you have great offensive players.

Last edited by long time guy on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Why are his statistics better than Cousins'?

He scores on a higher percentage of his shots. He finds teammates for successful baskets more often than Cousins. He steals the ball more. He turns the ball over less. He gets to the line more and converts more free throws.

Cousins gets more rebounds. That's about it. If Butler was 4" taller and played under the basket defensively...he'd be winning that category as well.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:33 pm 

IMU wrote:
Why are his statistics better than Cousins'?

He scores on a higher percentage of his shots. He finds teammates for successful baskets more often than Cousins. He steals the ball more. He turns the ball over less. He gets to the line more and converts more free throws.

Cousins gets more rebounds. That's about it. If Butler was 4" taller and played under the basket defensively...he'd be winning that category as well.

Cousins is simply a more skilled player. Butler draws fouls. That is probably his best trait. I will crunch the numbers you'd be hard pressed to find many that think that Butler is the better player. As far as assists totals there probably isn't much of a discrepancy for their career and Butler is a guard. Cousins has a better skill set than Butler and he is 4 inches taller.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:37 pm 

He is more skilled and yet nothing backs that up?

That seems difficult to accomplish.

Could I be a more skilled NBA player than some current NBA players even if I wouldn't be as successful?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:38 pm 

IMU wrote:
He is more skilled and yet nothing backs that up?

Watching both play strongly supports it. Which person is the better post player? Cousins is also a better passer than Butler.

As far as shooters their career 3 point% is about the same. I'm pretty certain and I haven't even looked at the numbers. Rebounding is a no brainer. As far as one on one player Cousins is a nightmare on the box. Butler isn't a good one on one player either. Do you want to look at career scoring avgs? Cousins murders him there too. I don't even have to look at numbers.

Last edited by long time guy on Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
long time guy wrote:
I haven't really had the time but While you are at it explain to me how Klay Thompson and Paul George are nowhere to be found on any of these top lists? Per doesn't have either in the top 50 players.

Well, Thompson has fallen off from what he was last year. His 3P% is down almost 40 points, but his USG% is still up over 25%. So, his scoring ability has fallen off a bit but he's being used about as much as he was last year, rate-wise, so his inefficiency is going to drop. He's also now playing third fiddle with Kevin Durant on the team. Of note is that his corner-3 game has fallen off precipitously from 41% last year to 33% this year.

George is fairing pretty well this year, but he's not barnstorming by any stretch. One curious thing I saw is that he is playing the 3 almost exclusively this year, as opposed to last year where almost 40% of his minutes were at the 4. He's taking and making more mid-range shots and shooting fewer 3's (and as a result making more of them). This has come at the cost of high-percentage shots close to the basket, as well as fewer trips to the charity stripe, and facing generally more athletic opponents, now needing to rely on teammates to help get him open as opposed to last year when he could blow by bigger, slower 4's. He's not doing many of the things that made him a top-10 forward in the league last year.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:48 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
I haven't really had the time but While you are at it explain to me how Klay Thompson and Paul George are nowhere to be found on any of these top lists? Per doesn't have either in the top 50 players.

Well, Thompson has fallen off from what he was last year. His 3P% is down almost 40 points, but his USG% is still up over 25%. So, his scoring ability has fallen off a bit but he's being used about as much as he was last year, rate-wise, so his inefficiency is going to drop. He's also now playing third fiddle with Kevin Durant on the team. Of note is that his corner-3 game has fallen off precipitously from 41% last year to 33% this year.

George is fairing pretty well this year, but he's not barnstorming by any stretch. One curious thing I saw is that he is playing the 3 almost exclusively this year, as opposed to last year where almost 40% of his minutes were at the 4. He's taking and making more mid-range shots and shooting fewer 3's (and as a result making more of them). This has come at the cost of high-percentage shots close to the basket, as well as fewer trips to the charity stripe, and facing generally more athletic opponents, now needing to rely on teammates to help get him open as opposed to last year when he could blow by bigger, slower 4's. He's not doing many of the things that made him a top-10 forward in the league last year.

They both should be higher in the rankings in theory though. My issue is that an overreiance on it can become problematic. That is why I keep harping on Curry/Kyrie. Curry offensively stacks up with some of the greats all time if you simply go off advanced stats. The way he performed against OKC and particularly Cleveland strongly dispels that though. He didn't do anything in the previous years finals either.

It is apparent that there are holes in his game offensively and Cleveland exploited it. He couldn't get around Thompson or Love on those switches and he shot a number of airballs. No greatest all time shooter should do that. It wasn't just that he missed. He missed badly. Can't guard his lunch and decision making is atrocious.

It is apparent that he is product of that offense and a beneficiary of having playmaking bigs Bogut/Green.

When I look at Butler I see much the same thing. Curry is a much better offensive player than Butler though. He doesn't do anything special offensively. Not quick off the bounce. Just an average shooter. Doesn't pass particularly well. Doesn't get great separation from his defender. Can't blow by guys. Does go strong to the bucket however. That is his best asset.

You have to do more than that to be an elite player.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:07 pm 

Cousins numbers are better. Career Avg. Avg per game. 3 point% this season is 2 points higher. Their assist totals for the past 3 seasons are eerily similar and even this season Butler is only .6 higher and he plays a great deal of point guard.

I am comfortable saying he has a greater skill set than Butler. The assist totals are woeful for a guy that runs as much point as Butler runs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:12 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Watching both play strongly supports it. Which person is the better post player? Cousins is also a better passer than Butler.

If you were the coach, would you center your offense around a 6-7 swingman posting up?

Butler dribbles better. You haven't seen me bring that up. Of course a wing dribbles better than a 6-11 center.

How can Cousins be the better passer if he has fewer assists and more turnovers?

You're bringing up career averages? Do you realize how dumb that sounds when we're talking about best players in the NBA currently?

Let me rephrase that question.

Do you realize how dumb you sound?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:17 pm 

IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:

If you were the coach, would you center your offense around a 6-7 swingman posting up?

Butler dribbles better. You haven't seen me bring that up. Of course a wing dribbles better than a 6-11 center.

How can Cousins be the better passer if he has fewer assists and more turnovers?

Because I watch him play. He makes better passes. When was the last time you've seen Butler drop a dime? Their career numbers are exactly the same. Butler really doesn't have much of a handle. Slightly better handle. Cousins shoots a higher percentage on 3's than Butler. their Efg% is about the same. Butler should have more assists given the fact that he initiates a tremendous amount of their offense. This is also the first season that Butler can be considered an elite scorer also. Cousins has been that for the past 4 seasons at least.

Cousins has holes no doubt. Tremendously undisciplined as a player. I have doubts about him being that guy either but I would still rank him over Butler. Butler is in the Paul George/ Derozan range as a player. I actually might rank those guys above him because they have been better career wise than he offensively. Butler will still have to show that he can keep this up over an entire season. The others have done that in their career.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:

You're bringing up career averages? Do you realize how dumb that sounds when we're talking about best players in the NBA currently?

Yea LTG you need to get out of here with career averages in this discussion. Since emerging as a starter Butler has averaged around 4.5 assists which is where you expect an all star SF to be with his skill set. In fact that's probably above average.

Hey LTG are Kobe and Duncan elite scorers in your book? If so why did Duncan only average 19 and Kobe only 25? Pretty unimpressive if you ask me.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies

No Mas

I'm out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:23 pm 

IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:

You are talking about a guy that is have one very good season. You have to look at consistency. For what it is worth we haven't even reached the half way point and his avg has probably been bumped up a couple of points the past couple of weeks. You do realize there is an equilibrium to this and once his avg dips don't go back to the tried and true of bashing Hoi berg for the way Butler is being used. I know that is coming.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:24 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Yea LTG you need to get out of here with career averages in this discussion. Since emerging as a starter Butler has averaged around 4.5 assists which is where you expect an all star SF to be with his skill set. In fact that's probably above average.

Hey LTG are Kobe and Duncan elite scorers in your book? If so why did Duncan only average 19 and Kobe only 25? Pretty unimpressive if you ask me.

25 is elite and Butler has yet to come close to avg that over an entire season. Duncan was an elite scorer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:35 pm 
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:
No one agrees with your list. Stop posting it.

The fact that you have Demarcus Cousins on there completely negates it. What a joke.

There isn't an NBA guy on the planet that believes Jimmy Butler is a better basketball player than Demarcus Cousins. Not one.

Speak for yourself. Don't presume to know what the board's consensus happens to be.

I agree with your list. I'm not sure if that helps you or hurts you though. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:38 pm 

Thanks so does Kaplan. He just said there are 10 he'd easily take and Butler is top 15. Don't know if that helps either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:

You are talking about a guy that is have one very good season. You have to look at consistency. For what it is worth we haven't even reached the half way point and his avg has probably been bumped up a couple of points the past couple of weeks. You do realize there is an equilibrium to this and once his avg dips don't go back to the tried and true of bashing Hoi berg for the way Butler is being used. I know that is coming.

We're talking about this year though, not trying to hand out lifetime achievement awards just yet. Oh, and Hoiberg bashing is here to stay, and deservedly so. :lol: Marc Trestman reincarnate.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:47 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:

We're talking about this year though, not trying to hand out lifetime achievement awards just yet. Oh, and Hoiberg bashing is here to stay, and deservedly so. :lol: Marc Trestman reincarnate.

This year has only been 37 games though. Not even a half of season. He has played well but elite? This is definitely one to be revisited at the end of the year. If he lasts til then

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:20 am 

What is this stat Similarity Scores? Does it mean anything??????

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Walt Williams Neck wrote:

EXIT VELOCITY !!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:55 am 

Walt Williams Neck wrote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8aLtGwHqX8M

http://www.espn.com.au/nba/boxscore?gameId=400899990

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:53 pm 

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/couside01.html

Boogies win comparisons are shall we say horseshit :D

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:00 pm 

Let's add some fuel.

http://www.espn.com/fantasy/basketball/ ... y-rankings

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:43 pm 

IMU wrote:

:wink:

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Jimmy to the Celtics has resurfaced. Nick Friedell said it on 1000 yesterday afternoon, KC wrote it last night, and everybody else is running with it.

From KC:

"There are rival executives who believe the Bulls and Celtics will rekindle trade talks centered on Jimmy Butler before the Feb. 23 deadline. The teams held serious talks in June, and the Celtics own the same assets — Jae Crowder, Marcus Smart, the Nets' first-round picks in 2017 and 2018 — the teams discussed then."

If they could pull off getting both Brooklyn #1 picks in 2017 and 2018, I'd be a very happy guy. Don't really care about players coming back, but Marcus Smart or Jaylen Brown would be nice. If they do this trade, the Bulls will probably have 2 top ten picks in a very deep 2017 draft.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:19 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:
Jimmy to the Celtics has resurfaced. Nick Friedell said it on 1000 yesterday afternoon, KC wrote it last night, and everybody else is running with it.

From KC:

"There are rival executives who believe the Bulls and Celtics will rekindle trade talks centered on Jimmy Butler before the Feb. 23 deadline. The teams held serious talks in June, and the Celtics own the same assets — Jae Crowder, Marcus Smart, the Nets' first-round picks in 2017 and 2018 — the teams discussed then."

If they could pull off getting both Brooklyn #1 picks in 2017 and 2018, I'd be a very happy guy. Don't really care about players coming back, but Marcus Smart or Jaylen Brown would be nice. If they do this trade, the Bulls will probably have 2 top ten picks in a very deep 2017 draft.

Very Deep...let's hear your 2 picks in the top ten say 3 and 8

I'm out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
The draft is so deep, I'd be happy with a lot of players in the lottery. I forgot the Bulls have Sacramento's 1st round pick this summer if it is outside of the top 10. Unless the Bulls know they're signing Chris Paul and Chris Bosh this summer, they need to blow this thing up right damn now.

They'd need a PG. Markelle Fultz and Dennis Smith are both fun to watch. How about Malik Monk too? All that dude does is score. Johnathan Isaac too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:00 pm 

Ron Wolfley wrote:

From KC:

I may be wrong but I don't think 1st round picks can be dealt for consecutive years. If so then you make this trade in a heartbeat. This is a lot to give up for Butler but if Ainge is willing to do it cool. Let's roll

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
long time guy wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:

From KC:

I may be wrong but I don't think 1st round picks can be dealt for consecutive years. If so then you make this trade in a heartbeat. This is a lot to give up for Butler but if Ainge is willing to do it cool. Let's roll

There's a swap protection on the 2017 pick, but that option lies with the Celtics (which I believe would transfer to the Bulls), I think that protection is what allowed Brooklyn to trade 2017 and 2018 first round picks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 656 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next