It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SERGE Ibaka?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Taj is getting traded to a contender very soon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Fortunes can change in an instant in the NBA. Maybe you trade for Ibaka, keep Butler, and sign another good FA this offseason and have a 50 win team next year and build on that. I agree Gar and Hoiberg have to go, and maybe Pax too, but that doesn't prevent me from wanting this deal to happen if the price is right.

You do that then this team becomes a win now team since ibaka and Butler are in their late twenties. I doubt any free agent is coming here so not sure what else you can do to add to the core other than sell it for younger pieces. Probably can't trade ibaka for some time once you acquire him but I see selling your best pieces as a more viable path to future success then rolling the dice with Butler and ibaka as your top two guys.

It's pretty clear you're just excessively negative on the Bulls and have been for awhile. I don't blame you. I'm the same way with the White Sox and this Bulls team has been depressing the last couple years. But you're basically saying you don't want a proven asset in Ibaka just because "fuck the Bulls"

He's going to be wasted. I'll put it a different way: if you're a young star heading into the prime of your career, and you're looking for a team that you can lead to rings, are the Bulls as presently constructed at the top of your list? We're the laughingstock of the league after Hoiberg was exposed as a lightweight, and Forman as a scheming careerist who values his job security above the fate of the team. We're directionless, talentless, coachless, etc. So not only would ibaka probably not feel comfortable here, I also don't think we're at a point where we can leverage whatever talent we have into playoff success. If Durant wants to come here then that's a different story. But we're just going to waste ibaka if we keep the current management and coaching structure in place.

This is what I'm talking about with you being unable to view the Bulls objectively. In the worst of times, and this would be close, it's still a top 3 market with a top 3-4 legacy as a franchise in the NBA. I'm sure Boston fans thought shit was hopeless and they were going nowhere in 2007. Then look what happened a year later. Obviously that's almost certainly not gonna happen here, but any smart GM in any sport is going to try to improve assets in a trade whenever possible. A mid round first and Valentine for Ibaka qualifies.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
312player wrote:
Taj is getting traded to a contender very soon.

The Bulls don't trade for Ibaka if they trade away Taj. At least not during the season.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I don't think the Bulls have a chance at Ibaka, he's going to a contender for more than a mid first round pick and a D leaguer.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:11 am 

312player wrote:
I don't think the Bulls have a chance at Ibaka, he's going to a contender for more than a mid first round pick and a D leaguer.

Valentine isn't close to a d leaguer, at least not right now. I agree that doesn't seem like enough though.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:16 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Fortunes can change in an instant in the NBA. Maybe you trade for Ibaka, keep Butler, and sign another good FA this offseason and have a 50 win team next year and build on that. I agree Gar and Hoiberg have to go, and maybe Pax too, but that doesn't prevent me from wanting this deal to happen if the price is right.

You do that then this team becomes a win now team since ibaka and Butler are in their late twenties. I doubt any free agent is coming here so not sure what else you can do to add to the core other than sell it for younger pieces. Probably can't trade ibaka for some time once you acquire him but I see selling your best pieces as a more viable path to future success then rolling the dice with Butler and ibaka as your top two guys.

It's pretty clear you're just excessively negative on the Bulls and have been for awhile. I don't blame you. I'm the same way with the White Sox and this Bulls team has been depressing the last couple years. But you're basically saying you don't want a proven asset in Ibaka just because "fuck the Bulls"

He's going to be wasted. I'll put it a different way: if you're a young star heading into the prime of your career, and you're looking for a team that you can lead to rings, are the Bulls as presently constructed at the top of your list? We're the laughingstock of the league after Hoiberg was exposed as a lightweight, and Forman as a scheming careerist who values his job security above the fate of the team. We're directionless, talentless, coachless, etc. So not only would ibaka probably not feel comfortable here, I also don't think we're at a point where we can leverage whatever talent we have into playoff success. If Durant wants to come here then that's a different story. But we're just going to waste ibaka if we keep the current management and coaching structure in place.

You aren't going to get Durant and you don't fold the tent simply because you can't. I don't think that we get Ibaka but if you can without giving up a shit load you do it.

As far as the Bulls go they aren't the laughingstock of the league and your evaluation is off and contradictory. You first compared him to a bunch of guys on the downside of their careers (Wade) (Carter) :lol: (Chandler) :lol: (Rondo); Then you state that he'd simply be wasted due to the ineptitude of the management. The management thing is a copout designed to deflect from real analysis.

The Bulls could do better at drafting but there are other franchises that are in worst shape. Hoiberg hasn't really demonstrated that he isn't anything more than a middle of the road coach at this stage. Not great Not terrible.

You and others bash them for Wade and Rondo but Wade has played better than expected and Rondo looks really good with the 2nd unit. If they don't acquire those two you and others that consistently bash the org. would no doubt be bashing them for not "doing anything during the off season". It is easy to say keep Dunleavy and Calderon until actually keep Dunleavy and Calderon.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:22 am 

Also, Ibaka is 27. Not 24 or 25.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:45 am 

IMU wrote:

You should have felt compelled to correct the guy that compared him to one 40 year old, a 35 year old, and a guy 35 or 36 years old. Your bias is showing yet again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
312player wrote:

exactly. /thread

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:55 am 

312player wrote:

What about Mirotic or Taj?/ Valentine or Grant?/ and a mid first rounder?

I have it on the word of IMU that Taj has immense value around the league.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:56 am 

long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:

You should have felt compelled to correct the guy that compared him to one 40 year old, a 35 year old, and a guy 35 or 36 years old. Your bias is showing yet again.

Didn't I correct everyone in one fell swoop? Stop acting like a perpetual victim.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:18 pm 

IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:

Didn't I correct everyone in one fell swoop? Stop acting like a perpetual victim.

Apparently you missed the fact that I was the only person to provide an age. Victimization is not an attribute of mine though I have no problem calling you on your B.S.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:21 pm 

long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:

Apparently you missed the fact that I was the only person to provide an age. Victimization is not an attribute of mine though I have no problem calling you on your B.S.

If I stated Ibaka was 27, that would also mean I stated that he was not 40 or 35.

Also, to be clear, I don't memorize who made each and every post when I read an entire thread and then comment. When I made my original post, I wanted to edit in the age correction but CFMB's slow pace + work did not allow it. So I posted it when able. Again, if you didn't feel like a victim constantly you would not assume I was just adding in a shot at you.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
FavreFan wrote:

Please some examples of fortunes changing in an instant :roll:

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:52 pm 

Walt Williams Neck wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:01 pm 

The Celtics traded a ton of assets for Garnett and Allen.

Assets the Bulls do not have currently on the roster...nor are they projected to have lottery picks.

I'm not disagreeing with your general statement...but I'm not sure those Celtic teams are the examples you're looking for.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:03 pm 

IMU wrote:
The Celtics traded a ton of assets for Garnett and Allen.

Assets the Bulls do not have currently on the roster...nor are they projected to have lottery picks.

I'm not disagreeing with your general statement...but I'm not sure those Celtic teams are the examples you're looking for.

I agree it is unlikely the Bulls will win the title next year. Just showing how silly it is to roll eyes at the statement Walt was mocking.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:10 pm 

IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:

If I stated Ibaka was 27, that would also mean I stated that he was not 40 or 35.

Also, to be clear, I don't memorize who made each and every post when I read an entire thread and then comment. When I made my original post, I wanted to edit in the age correction but CFMB's slow pace + work did not allow it. So I posted it when able. Again, if you didn't feel like a victim constantly you would not assume I was just adding in a shot at you.

Its not victimization as much as you tend to disagree merely for the sake of disagreeing. This wasn't one of the situations (according to you) but it is not beyond reason for me to think it was me since "24 or 25" was the ages I provided. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. We will disagree and I actually as previously stated, appreciate the banter. You are one of the guys that likes talking basketball even if it is in the John Dewan mode of talking hoops.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:15 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

Spurs drafting Tim Duncan.

Bulls drafting Jordan

Golden State naming Kerr coach

Lakers signing Shaq

Clippers trading for Chris Paul

Bulls Drafting Derrick Rose

To name but a few.

Left Lebron out and should have done the same for Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Bulls drafting Jordan

Lakers signing Shaq

To name but a few.

Clippers,Hornets,Pelicans never played in the Championship.Wizards 1979,Portland & Knicks 2000,Bucks & Sixers 2001,Kings 2002 :roll: Fortunes can change in an istant

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:37 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Bulls drafting Jordan

Lakers signing Shaq

To name but a few.

Clippers,Hornets,Pelicans never played in the Championship.Wizards 1979,Portland & Knicks 2000,Bucks & Sixers 2001,Kings 2002 :roll: Fortunes can change in an istant

Very Bernsteinesque. Fortunes changing isn't always championships. Moribound franchises that turned around overnight qualifies in my book. You can become a contender. That qualifies as a change of fortune. Steve Ballmer doesn't purchase the Clippers for 2 mil without a "change of fortune" occurring first.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
This is what I'm talking about with you being unable to view the Bulls objectively. In the worst of times, and this would be close, it's still a top 3 market with a top 3-4 legacy as a franchise in the NBA. I'm sure Boston fans thought shit was hopeless and they were going nowhere in 2007. Then look what happened a year later. Obviously that's almost certainly not gonna happen here, but any smart GM in any sport is going to try to improve assets in a trade whenever possible. A mid round first and Valentine for Ibaka qualifies.

I may not have always been objective in this thread but I think the post to which you replied was definitely objective. You say we're a "top 3-4 legacy" franchise in a "top 3 market," all of which is true, but would you also be open to admitting that our legacy and market has led to jack shit in the free agent market? Utter failures in 2000, 2010, and everything in between and afterward. We may exist in a large market but that hasn't meant anything when it comes to premier free agents.

long time guy wrote:

You aren't going to get Durant and you don't fold the tent simply because you can't. I don't think that we get Ibaka but if you can without giving up a shit load you do it.

As far as the Bulls go they aren't the laughingstock of the league and your evaluation is off and contradictory. You first compared him to a bunch of guys on the downside of their careers (Wade) (Carter) :lol: (Chandler) :lol: (Rondo); Then you state that he'd simply be wasted due to the ineptitude of the management. The management thing is a copout designed to deflect from real analysis.

The Bulls could do better at drafting but there are other franchises that are in worst shape. Hoiberg hasn't really demonstrated that he isn't anything more than a middle of the road coach at this stage. Not great Not terrible.

You and others bash them for Wade and Rondo but Wade has played better than expected and Rondo looks really good with the 2nd unit. If they don't acquire those two you and others that consistently bash the org. would no doubt be bashing them for not "doing anything during the off season". It is easy to say keep Dunleavy and Calderon until actually keep Dunleavy and Calderon.

I brought up Chandler and Carter to suggest a lack of strategy, not to compare them to Ibaka. I don't think your analysis in general takes strategy into account. It certainly doesn't take workplace environment and culture into account, as we've discussed. You come with the perspective of a scout who watches nothing but the ten players in front of him going at it, completely oblivious to everything else. That's fine when you want to talk about someone's game vs someone else's game, but not when it comes to big picture things like the direction of a franchise.

I bash the Wade and Rondo signings for reasons that your tunnel vision doesn't allow you to see. I don't give a shit about Wade playing better than expected or Rondo "looking really good with the 2nd unit" ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ). I bash the signings because they were haphazard ways to fill a roster and generate cheap preseason buzz. The signings clearly do not reflect a long-term strategy to win championships, which is the objective of most front offices. Sometimes not signing anyone during the off-season is strategic. Signing two over the hill players for no reason whatsoever certainly isn't strategic, and that's what's most objectionable.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:09 pm 

We've been over the free agent thing multiple times but I think it's hugely overblown. Boozer took less money to come here in 2010 than the Nets offered him. LeBron, Wade, and Bosh were never an option, so after them he was the 2nd best FA next to Amare available. Outside of 2000 and 2010 you can't really name any other examples. That being the case, I'm not drawing conclusions based on two offseasons, one of which was 17 years and a different regime ago.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:15 pm 

Celtics fans could say the same thing about free agents. Almost every fanbase outside of Miami and LA could make the same complaint. There's no validity to "free agents avoid the Bulls"

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
Celtics fans could say the same thing about free agents. Almost every fanbase outside of Miami and LA could make the same complaint. There's no validity to "free agents avoid the Bulls"

I didn't say they avoid the Bulls, I said your point about the Bulls being a legacy franchise in a top three market is meaningless because, in part, it has played no discernible role when it comes to attracting top talent to the city. In other words, it's not something to invoke during tough times because it doesn't do anything for us.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:28 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Its not victimization as much as you tend to disagree merely for the sake of disagreeing.

I'm primarily right and you are primarily wrong. It is simple as that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:38 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I may not have always been objective in this thread but I think the post to which you replied was definitely objective. You say we're a "top 3-4 legacy" franchise in a "top 3 market," all of which is true, but would you also be open to admitting that our legacy and market has led to jack shit in the free agent market? Utter failures in 2000, 2010, and everything in between and afterward. We may exist in a large market but that hasn't meant anything when it comes to premier free agents.

long time guy wrote:

I brought up Chandler and Carter to suggest a lack of strategy, not to compare them to Ibaka. I don't think your analysis in general takes strategy into account. It certainly doesn't take workplace environment and culture into account, as we've discussed. You come with the perspective of a scout who watches nothing but the ten players in front of him going at it, completely oblivious to everything else. That's fine when you want to talk about someone's game vs someone else's game, but not when it comes to big picture things like the direction of a franchise.

I bash the Wade and Rondo signings for reasons that your tunnel vision doesn't allow you to see. I don't give a shit about Wade playing better than expected or Rondo "looking really good with the 2nd unit" ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ). I bash the signings because they were haphazard ways to fill a roster and generate cheap preseason buzz. The signings clearly do not reflect a long-term strategy to win championships, which is the objective of most front offices. Sometimes not signing anyone during the off-season is strategic. Signing two over the hill players for no reason whatsoever certainly isn't strategic, and that's what's most objectionable.

How does signing either of those two kill long term hopes? Regardless of the motives they improved the team. ONce again if you are not going to trade Butler (which most on here don't) then you have to improve the team. There weren't many moves that could have been done last off season which would have made the Bulls instant contenders. It is asanine to constantly focus on that. The Bulls gave up nothing to acquire either and aside for a few draft slots what was really lost.

I think that you would have preferred that they not sign them so that your Anti Hoiberg stance could have been further solidified.

A shitty Butler complaining about his lack of supporting cast isn't something that i looked forward to.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:40 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
We've been over the free agent thing multiple times but I think it's hugely overblown. Boozer took less money to come here in 2010 than the Nets offered him. LeBron, Wade, and Bosh were never an option, so after them he was the 2nd best FA next to Amare available. Outside of 2000 and 2010 you can't really name any other examples. That being the case, I'm not drawing conclusions based on two offseasons, one of which was 17 years and a different regime ago.

Agreed. The top Free agent avoiding the Bulls narrative doesn't hold water when you consider that Gasol also took less money and Anthony signs with the Bulls if Phil doesn't throw an extra 40 mil at him.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:52 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Anthony signs with the Bulls if Phil doesn't throw an extra 40 mil at him.

Phil has been very good to Chicago. Thanks Phil.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:52 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I didn't say they avoid the Bulls, I said your point about the Bulls being a legacy franchise in a top three market is meaningless because, in part, it has played no discernible role when it comes to attracting top talent to the city. In other words, it's not something to invoke during tough times because it doesn't do anything for us.

But what you're saying is equally meaningless. "Top talent" doesn't usually become available. Before this year Golden State never attracted a top FA. The Knicks haven't for 20 years outside of Amare. Same with Celtics and Horford. Etc.

To rock my soul