It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Is this correct?

Reinsdorf gets no credit for "inheriting Jordan" and the guy who drafted Jordan gets no credit because he didn't think Jordan would be the greatest of all time?

If Thorn traded for the third pick to specifically draft Jordan or something similar then I'd be more charitable. But drafting Jordan because the teams ahead of you took the better prospects is really not that difficult. He just took the next guy available and was really fortunate that he blossomed into the GOAT. Not sure what you mean by Reinsdorf - I think you mean Krause. Krase inherited the centerpiece of the six title teams but it took talent on Krause's part to build those teams around Jordan.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:12 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Is this correct?

Reinsdorf gets no credit for "inheriting Jordan" and the guy who drafted Jordan gets no credit because he didn't think Jordan would be the greatest of all time?

If Thorn traded for the third pick to specifically draft Jordan or something similar then I'd be more charitable. But drafting Jordan because the teams ahead of you took the better prospects is really not that difficult. He just took the next guy available and was really fortunate that he blossomed into the GOAT. Not sure what you mean by Reinsdorf - I think you mean Krause. Krase inherited the centerpiece of the six title teams but it took talent on Krause's part to build those teams around Jordan.
There have been many times I've said "7 rings" with Jerry and the answer always is "He got lucky by inheriting Jordan". I just want to know who gets credit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Rick wants to know which old white guy should get credit for Michael Jordan being great at basketball

To rock my soul

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Is this correct?

There have been many times I've said "7 rings" with Jerry and the answer always is "He got lucky by inheriting Jordan". I just want to know who gets credit.

Krause and PJ along with, obviously, the team. I don't downgrade Krause' contributions simply because he didn't luck into Jordan. He inherited Jordan but he didn't inherit a championship team.

2013 CSFMB ROY

FavreFan wrote:
Rick wants to know which old white guy should get credit for Michael Jordan being great at basketball
Old white guys win championships.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:15 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Is this correct?

Krause and PJ along with, obviously, the team. I don't downgrade Krause' contributions simply because he didn't luck into Jordan. He inherited Jordan but he didn't inherit a championship team.
I agree with you. You are a smart sports fan unlike others.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:18 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Drafting is a crapshoot and smart GMs pick busts just as much as bad GMs luck into stars.

That's not true. You're literally saying that there is nothing that seperates good scouts from bad scouts. That's a ridiculous opinion.

What would you say about the skills of scouts who placed Olajuwon, Bowie, and maybe a few others ahead of MJ? i wish I had predraft rankings in front of me so I could speak with certainty, but I have to assume the majority of scouts had Olajuwon and maybe even Bowie ahead of MJ. Even if they did, I don't blame them for not realizing MJ would be eligible for GOAT consideration after 7-8 years in the league.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I think you answered your own question.

Lady Luck, NBA Executive of the year 1984.

Last edited by shakes on Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:20 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Drafting is a crapshoot and smart GMs pick busts just as much as bad GMs luck into stars.

That's not true. You're literally saying that there is nothing that seperates good scouts from bad scouts. That's a ridiculous opinion.

What would you say about the skills of scouts who placed Olajuwon, Bowie, and maybe a few others ahead of MJ? i wish I had predraft rankings in front of me so I could speak with certainty, but I have to assume the majority of scouts had Olajuwon and maybe even Bowie ahead of MJ. Even if they did, I don't blame them for not realizing MJ would be eligible for GOAT consideration after 7-8 years in the league.

Of course scouts can be wrong. What you were saying in the part of your post I quoted is that good scouts and bad scouts are the exact same. That's ridiculous.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:22 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Of course scouts can be wrong. What you were saying in the part of your post I quoted is that good scouts and bad scouts are the exact same. That's ridiculous.

So you're the Houston GM and let's say, pre-draft 1984, a scout comes up to you and says you should go with Olajuwon or Bowie with the no. 1 pick. Are you going to say he's wrong?

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:26 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

So you're the Houston GM and let's say, pre-draft 1984, a scout comes up to you and says you should go with Olajuwon or Bowie with the no. 1 pick. Are you going to say he's wrong?

No, probably not. Who the fuck knows though?

I don't understand what point you're making here. I never said even the best scouts are always right. There's an element of luck with drafting players but it's not only luck that distinguishes good GMs from bad GMs, which is what you're saying.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:28 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Is this correct?

I agree with you. You are a smart sports fan unlike others.

You could extend the same logic to PJ. Everyone says PJ is overrated because he always had the best players, but those players didn't win anything before PJ came along. He fashioned teams into dynasties and then everyone applies that dynasty backwards in time, as if LA was a dynasty in 2000 when they embarked on their first journey to a championship under PJ. They weren't a dynasty or whatever that season - they became one over time, in large part due to PJ's stewardship. Same thing with Chicago. MJ and Scottie hadn't even been to the finals before PJ came along as a rookie coach. In PJ's second or third year he won a ring, and now people want to downgrade that accomplishment as if he inherited a team that had already been to multiple finals, etc.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:38 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

No, probably not. Who the fuck knows though?

I don't understand what point you're making here. I never said even the best scouts are always right. There's an element of luck with drafting players but it's not only luck that distinguishes good GMs from bad GMs, which is what you're saying.

I provided that scenario because I understood you as saying anyone who said you should draft Bowie or Olajuwon over MJ in 1984 was an idiot. I do think luck plays a massive role in drafting, but that doesn't take away from a scout's talent. Two scouts come up to you and say these two forwards they're scouting are going to be the next big thing. All the things you'd look for are there: quickness, athleticism, height, arm span, etc. They're not finished products obviously but the tools are there. The forwards end up being Dirk and Tyrus Thomas. Is the scout who sold me on Thomas of less quality than the one who scouted Dirk? Why? How could he forecast that Thomas didn't have the heart for the game, and all the other intangible stuff? As for the one who scouted Dirk - he did his job, just like the one who scouted Thomas, but he got lucky Dirk had heart, drive, will, etc., to get better.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:42 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
I provided that scenario because I understood you as saying anyone who said you should draft Bowie or Olajuwon over MJ in 1984 was an idiot.

:lol:

Where did I say anything close to that?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:44 pm 

Akeem Olajuwon was the overwhelming choice for 1 and had Ewing decided to come out early he'd have gone ahead of all of them. Jordan would have been 4 and history would forever have been altered.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:46 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
I provided that scenario because I understood you as saying anyone who said you should draft Bowie or Olajuwon over MJ in 1984 was an idiot.

My interpretation, but your point of view makes you come close to saying that. What are your thoughts on the scouts who said Bowie is a top 2 pick? I don't have anything bad to say about then, assuming they included footnotes about Bowie's injury(ies).

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:47 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

My interpretation, but your point of view makes you come close to saying that. What are your thoughts on the scouts who said Bowie is a top 2 pick? I don't have anything bad to say about then, assuming they included footnotes about Bowie's injury(ies).

I don't judge scouts and GMs based on one player evaluation. I'd have to know what the guy's other body of work says. Obviously that's a negative mark on the resume.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Is this correct?

Theo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:58 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Is this correct?

Theo
^^^Cubs fan whose opinions don't count.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:00 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Is this correct?

Theo
^^^Cubs fan whose opinions don't count.

Random idiot?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:08 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

I don't judge scouts and GMs based on one player evaluation. I'd have to know what the guy's other body of work says. Obviously that's a negative mark on the resume.

That's where we differ. Bowie was an acclaimed seven foot college player who was universally regarded as a top prospect for that draft. As long as my scout informed me of Bowie's injury history then I don't fault him at all for recommending picking him in 1984 right before the draft. He wouldn't be alone.

Now that we're the same subject, what if a scout recommended picking Draymond Green 5th overall in 2012? I think GMs would have fired any scout who said draft Draymond Green fifth overall in 2012, including the Warriors' GM. But now they're "geniuses" for drafting him in the second round. It's all luck/chance.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:16 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
Now that we're the same subject, what if a scout recommended picking Draymond Green 5th overall in 2012? I think GMs would have fired any scout who said draft Draymond Green fifth overall in 2012, including the Warriors' GM. But now they're "geniuses" for drafting him in the second round. It's all luck/chance.

No scout would have suggested that so it's an absurd hypothetical to entertain.

Your last sentence is wrong and as I said before, it's a ridiculous opinion. If it's all luck/chance than you're saying you/I/Walt/Ltg could draft as well as RC Buford and Sam Presti.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:17 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Akeem Olajuwon was the overwhelming choice for 1 and had Ewing decided to come out early he'd have gone ahead of all of them. Jordan would have been 4 and history would forever have been altered.

In the article, Thorn says he would've drafted Jordan over Bowie so Jordan still goes to Bulls in that scenario.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:18 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Your last sentence is wrong and as I said before, it's a ridiculous opinion. If it's all luck/chance than you're saying you/I/Walt/Ltg could draft as well as RC Buford and Sam Presti.

It doesn't take much skill to draft Kevin Durant once Greg Oden is off the board.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:21 pm 

shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:

In the article, Thorn says he would've drafted Jordan over Bowie so Jordan still goes to Bulls in that scenario.

I know I could. I don't know about the other 2 guys :lol:

Seriously there are some really good Gms and "talent" guys out there. West used to be really good. Presti and Buford good too. It's not all luck. Riley is good too but he has to own the Beasley pick. I remember McHale being a helluva talent evaluator too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:22 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

It doesn't take much skill to draft Kevin Durant once Greg Oden is off the board.

It does to take Harden and Westbrook though. Also Serge and Adams too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:26 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

OK, but this is why I keep telling you it's silly to try to judge someone based on one draft.

It does take skill to draft Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, James Harden, and Serge Ibaka in a three year span, followed by drafting Bledsoe 18th, Reggie Jackson 24th, and Stephen Adams 12th. According to you, it was all luck and you or I could have done it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:28 pm 

long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

What skill did it take to draft Harden, the #2 rated prospect in the draft, at #3? And Westbrook was rated #4 and drafted #4. Not exactly Mensa level thinking to come up with those picks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:31 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

OK, but this is why I keep telling you it's silly to try to judge someone based on one draft.

It does take skill to draft Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, James Harden, and Serge Ibaka in a three year span, followed by drafting Bledsoe 18th, Reggie Jackson 24th, and Stephen Adams 12th. According to you, it was all luck and you or I could have done it.

It is luck. Here's why: if one of the teams before Presti drafts Westbrook (totally plausible), is Presti less smart now? What if Portland shocked the world in 2007 and took Durant over Oden. Is Presti less smart now because he picked the consensus no 1 pick that fell into his lap that year?

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:31 pm 

shakes wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

What skill did it take to draft Harden, the #2 rated prospect in the draft, at #3? And Westbrook was rated #4 and drafted #4. Not exactly Mensa level thinking to come up with those picks.

IIRC the Westbrook pick was criticized at the time because he wasn't supposed to go that high.

To rock my soul