It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mirotic trade
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
does omer's massive contract fuck them cap wise? doesnt it eat in to their ability to do FA work in 2019 FA?

edit: nm, i thought i saw a bigger number, it's only $12M witha $3m buyout as others below this mention

Last edited by billypootons on Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:08 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
ZephMarshack wrote:
I really don't see why the Bulls didn't just guarantee Mirotic's option instead of giving up a 2nd. Wait, yes I do, and the reason is Reinsdorf.

? I'm confused...the 2nd was the incentive for the Pelicans to take on his salary next year.

billypootons wrote:
does omer's massive contract fuck them cap wise? doesnt it eat in to their ability to do FA work in 2019 FA?

3 million buyout in 2019.

billypootons wrote:

They can buy him out for $3 million after the 2018-2019 season.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
time to start playing omer 35 min a game, feature him instead of Lauri in a pick and pop game with jerian grant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Caller Bob wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
I really don't see why the Bulls didn't just guarantee Mirotic's option instead of giving up a 2nd. Wait, yes I do, and the reason is Reinsdorf.

? I'm confused...the 2nd was the incentive for the Pelicans to take on his salary next year.

And the Bulls could have just taken on that salary themselves, but didn't for the same reason they sold Jordan Bell for cash.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:17 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

And the Bulls could have just taken on that salary themselves, but didn't for the same reason they sold Jordan Bell for cash.

He's due $12.5 million next season. That's a little different than selling off a 2nd round pick (which I would agree was incredibly stupid).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:19 pm 

Yeah 12 million is a bit different than 3.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:19 pm 

billypootons wrote:
time to start playing omer 35 min a game, feature him instead of Lauri in a pick and pop game with jerian grant

What the hell happened to Asik? He showed so much potential when he was here, but his career has just been a disaster since after his first year in Houston.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:20 pm 

Also I don't really get why so many on the last page are acting like Mirotic was desperate to get out of Chicago. He had no issues reintegrating into the team and even said he didn't have problems with Portis. This trade is for the Bulls' benefit, not Mirotic's.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
ZephMarshack wrote:
Also I don't really get why so many on the last page are acting like Mirotic was desperate to get out of Chicago. He had no issues reintegrating into the team and even said he didn't have problems with Portis. This trade is for the Bulls' benefit, not Mirotic's.

that is not what "the experts" are saying. supposedly he was only playing nice to get traded.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Hatchetman wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

that is not what "the experts" are saying. supposedly he was only playing nice to get traded.

It's perfectly plausible for that to be true.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:29 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

He's due $12.5 million next season. That's a little different than selling off a 2nd round pick (which I would agree was incredibly stupid).

But the Bulls aren't going to doing anything next season with that salary anyway. The same logic that suggests it's not too bad of a deal to take on the Asik salary for a pointless season would apply to Mirotic as well. I don't really get prioritizing cap flexibility over chances to hit in the draft when everyone agrees the bulk of the rebuild is going to come through the draft rather than free agency and the only player you'll be looking to re-sign is Nwaba.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:31 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

It's perfectly plausible for that to be true.

It's plausible but again, the primary reasons he got trade were the logjam at the 4 and to facilitate the tank. Some fear about him eventually possibly becoming a diva due to not being traded is quite far back from those two.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:33 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

But the Bulls aren't going to doing anything next season with that salary anyway. The same logic that suggests it's not too bad of a deal to take on the Asik salary for a pointless season would apply to Mirotic as well. I don't really get prioritizing cap flexibility over chances to hit in the draft when everyone agrees the bulk of the rebuild is going to come through the draft rather than free agency and the only player you'll be looking to re-sign is Nwaba.

They essentially bought one of the best 1st round draft picks in this draft they possibly could with this trade.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:47 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
They essentially bought one of the best 1st round draft picks in this draft they possibly could with this trade.

And I wasn't bashing that part of the return. I was questioning the need to give up a second round pick to complete it, particularly when the Bulls could have just picked up Mirotic's option instead. I've already seen national guys compare this to when the Bulls gave up their own first round pick as part of the Butler trade. Both moves seemed unnecessary to get these respective deals done, and in this case there was a clear alternative.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:51 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
He's Montenegrin.

Montenegro, please!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:52 pm 

2nd round picks are worthless. For all the moaning, Jordan Bell is averaging what, 5 points a game? Not to say that Bulls selling the pick thing wasn't stupid it was. Just bizarre. What fucking dent in any budget will 3 million make? It's like some finance guy on the team needed 3 million that week to hit a quarterly bonus..but I digress.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Caller Bob wrote:
2nd round picks are worthless. For all the moaning, Jordan Bell is averaging what, 5 points a game? Not to say that Bulls selling the pick thing wasn't stupid it was. Just bizarre. What fucking dent in any budget will 3 million make? It's like some finance guy on the team needed 3 million that week to hit a quarterly bonus..but I digress.

On the Golden State Warriors, he isn't asked to score.

But if you do want to look at that, look at the fact that he is shooting 66.4%. He also gets 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block and 1 steal per 14 minutes played.

Just double those numbers if he was playing starting minutes, then reduce his FG% by a little bit just by having a larger workload.

He could be an 8 rebound, 4 assist, 2 block and 2 steal that could get just about 10 PPG and defend multiple positions. And if he develops more of an offensive game, you're looking at a better Draymond Green.

There are some maybes there. But for Jordan Bell, many projected him as a late first rounder, and MANY had him as the no doubt best selection of the second round on draft night.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:00 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
2nd round picks are worthless. .

I agree but why does everyone seem so hot to have them but the Bulls?

The best strategy for a second rounder usually is a developmental guy playing in Europe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:01 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

And I wasn't bashing that part of the return. I was questioning the need to give up a second round pick to complete it, particularly when the Bulls could have just picked up Mirotic's option instead. I've already seen national guys compare this to when the Bulls gave up their own first round pick as part of the Butler trade. Both moves seemed unnecessary to get these respective deals done, and in this case there was a clear alternative.

You presume that it wasn't necessary. There is no way of knowing that for sure.

Each time Paxson makes a move you counter by conjuring up a better move. Sometimes things are what they are.

If Anyone would have told me that Niko Mirotic could be flipped for a top half of the first round draft pick i'd have told them they were stupid.

You don't cancel this deal over a 2nd round pick. Most 2nd round picks never turn out to be anything more than rotation guys at best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:04 pm 

IMU wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

But if you do want to look at that, look at the fact that he is shooting 66.4%. He also gets 4 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 block and 1 steal per 14 minutes played.

Just double those numbers if he was playing starting minutes, then reduce his FG% by a little bit just by having a larger workload.

He could be an 8 rebound, 4 assist, 2 block and 2 steal that could get just about 10 PPG and defend multiple positions. And if he develops more of an offensive game, you're looking at a better Draymond Green.

There are some maybes there. But for Jordan Bell, many projected him as a late first rounder, and MANY had him as the no doubt best selection of the second round on draft night.

Would the Bulls have drafted him if they didn't sell the pick? Or did the Warriors instruct them to draft him? I guess a lot of teams missed on Bell. And yeah the Bulls are idiots selling the pick over 3 million, but my point still stands...2nd round picks, history says, are shitty.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:05 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
2nd round picks are worthless. .

I agree but why does everyone seem so hot to have them but the Bulls?

The best strategy for a second rounder usually is a developmental guy playing in Europe.

They did that with Asik.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:07 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
IMU wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Would the Bulls have drafted him if they didn't sell the pick? Or did the Warriors instruct them to draft him? I guess a lot of teams missed on Bell. And yeah the Bulls are idiots selling the pick over 3 million, but my point still stands...2nd round picks, history says, are shitty.

Jordan Bell isn't that good. Limited offensively and undersized defensively. Can't do anything other than dunk. He looks better with G.S. because they don't ask him to do anything other than play with "energy". If you stretch his minutes out all of his limitations are highlighted.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:11 pm 

Bell is a decent player. And if you re-did the draft he is certainly a 1st rounder. I'm just tide of the side narrative that 2nd round picks are gold and the Bulls are bad because they don't value them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:14 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Bell is a decent player. And if you re-did the draft he is certainly a 1st rounder. I'm just tide of the side narrative that 2nd round picks are gold and the Bulls are bad because they don't value them.

I don't know if he'd be a no doubt 1st rounder. Guys like Jordan Bell are littered throughout the NBA. You can find guys with his ability in the Summer League.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
long time guy wrote:
[Guys like Jordan Bell are littered throughout the NBA. You can find guys with his ability in the Summer League.

Just not on the Bulls roster.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:18 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

I don't know if he'd be a no doubt 1st rounder. Guys like Jordan Bell are littered throughout the NBA. You can find guys with his ability in the Summer League.

Easily. He cracked the roster and his contributing on a championship team. Usually a large portion of late 1sts early 2nds wash out of the league in a year or so.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:20 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
long time guy wrote:
[Guys like Jordan Bell are littered throughout the NBA. You can find guys with his ability in the Summer League.

I'd take David NWaba in a heartbeat over Jordan Bell.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:23 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:
long time guy wrote:

I'd take David NWaba in a heartbeat over Jordan Bell.

Good to see another early buyer of the David Nwaba stock.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next