It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: CARTER--BUM--LOTTERY
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:48 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Year 2 of watching no games.....if this draft excites you then enjoy the hell out of your 2018-19 Chicago Bulls :(

I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:53 am 

30 seconds into the analysis of the pick Bilas or whoever says "he's not the most explosive player"

Cool.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:03 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
rogers park bryan wrote:
30 seconds into the analysis of the pick Bilas or whoever says "he's not the most explosive player"

Cool.

Whatever argument that LTG wants to have (that I do not have time for) aside I just do not get the NBA and their draft. In almost every year you get past the first five in the first round and then no one has any faith they will get a good player.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:09 am 

pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Cool.

Whatever argument that LTG wants to have (that I do not have time for) aside I just do not get the NBA and their draft. In almost every year you get past the first five in the first round and then no one has any faith they will get a good player.

Again false. Bulls drafted Lauri 7th and Donovan Mitchell was drafted 13th. Dennis Smith was drafted 8th. This was last year alone. Kuzma was drafted 27th.

Its not about arguing but factually incorrect statements need to be challenged.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
I've actually done some research and dont even like him as a player. Lots of bad marks against him. He disappears in big games.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:26 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
America wrote:
I've actually done some research and dont even like him as a player. Lots of bad marks against him. He disappears in big games.

Yes. He looks like a bum slayer regular season player who will get exposed in the playoffs. He went to Duke though. Has a nice family. Good character. Hard worker.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:29 am 

long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Cool.

Again false. Bulls drafted Lauri 7th and Donovan Mitchell was drafted 13th. Dennis Smith was drafted 8th. This was last year alone. Kuzma was drafted 27th.

No it is true. The guys you name were considered crap shoots. Even Curry was not thought to be a sure fire star as he is now. You have to admit that outside of the first few there are no sure fire player choices like in the NFL. Sure there will be busts there but it is common thought that an NFL first round pick is expected to be a player on Sundays at a starting level.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:30 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
America wrote:

Yes. He looks like a bum slayer regular season player who will get exposed in the playoffs. He went to Duke though. Has a nice family. Good character. Hard worker.

does have a bit of a complex to him. compared the NCAA to slavery then got named specifically in the FBI report about programs giving kickbacks to players families. does not sound like slavery to me!

Last edited by America on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I haven't watched the NBA in years...but isn't picking Duke players still a bad idea?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:32 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
I haven't watched the NBA in years...but isn't picking Duke players still a bad idea?

Bagley was so good last year I dont know if he wasn't better than Ayton all along.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:32 am 

America wrote:
America wrote:

does have a bit of a complex to him. compared the NCAA to slavery then got named specifically in the FBI report about programs giving kickbacks to players families. does not sound like slavery to me!

Nothing sounds like slavery to you, even actually slavery itself.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:36 am 

pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Cool.

No it is true. The guys you name were considered crap shoots. Even Curry was not thought to be a sure fire star as he is now. You have to admit that outside of the first few there are no sure fire player choices like in the NFL. Sure there will be busts there but it is common thought that an NFL first round pick is expected to be a player on Sundays at a starting level.

I'm not following your point but the NFL drafts MANY more players and has MANY more players on its roster than the NBA.

It is also easier to be good or even servicable in the NFL since it is a "niche" sport played by guys that only have to do one thing.

To be really good in the NBA requires being able to do more than one thing.

Most of the guys drafted last year are already starters.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:37 am 

pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Cool.

Right, the NFL draft has seven rounds. So you're expecting 1/7th of the picks to be difference makers right away.

Same in the NBA. The top 14 should be decent right away.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:38 am 

long time guy wrote:
America wrote:
America wrote:

Nothing sounds like slavery to you, even actually slavery itself.

Ignore your feelings on the subject. What would you think of someone who pretends to be the "victim" of something publicly while secretly receiving benefits afforded only a handful of other people in your situation get? He clearly wants to be seen on the cross.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Cool.

Anyone who thinks a late first round NFL pick is a surefire thing to be a starting caliber player is crazy and wrong. All drafts have lots of busts

LTG is right here.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:41 am 

also dude was in foul trouble all game every game. played 22 minutes against Kansas in the tournament and did absolutely nothing, basically got run out of the gym. UNC wang whipped him too, never played more than 30 minutes against them and he looked mediocre each time. This guy isn't good, he fooled people by being smart and hard working. That's great, I'm sure he'll have a wonderful career doing something else, but in the NBA you gotta be really good at basketball.

Last edited by America on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:43 am 

pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Cool.

You are understating the situation. NFL first round picks must be Day 1 starters in almost all cases not to be thought of as a bust. Round 2-3 players must start fairly quickly (by year 3). Even round 4 is expected to be fringe level starter.

I don't really like the comparisons though as the average turnover in the NFL is so much greater requiring constant replenishment of grist for the mill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:44 am 

FavreFan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Cool.

Anyone who thinks a late first round NFL pick is a surefire thing to be a starting caliber player is crazy and wrong. All drafts have lots of busts

LTG is right here.

Yep. If we were to look at the last 10 Bear drafts and the last 10 Bull drafts which would contain more "busts"?

Mind you the Bears have drafted in the top 10 far more than the Bulls during the pd in question.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:46 am 

FavreFan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Cool.

LTG is right here.

but a late first round NBA pick is barely EXPECTED to contribute. There is not a single NFL first rounder who isn't projected to be a starter at some point soon in his career.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:48 am 

good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Cool.

LTG is right here.

but a late first round NBA pick is barely EXPECTED to contribute. There is not a single NFL first rounder who isn't projected to be a starter at some point soon in his career.

Well that's obviously because of the roster size of each respective sport. Has nothing to do with the quality of players in each draft.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 am 

FavreFan wrote:
[Well that's obviously because of the roster size of each respective sport. Has nothing to do with the quality of players in each draft.

No. If Lamar Jackson (5th player taken at his position) is not a starting QB at or before year 4, that is a wasted pick and the GM will take heat. If Omari Spellman never starts a game in his career, no one will care.

It also ignores my previous post about expectations all the way through the 4th round.

Last edited by good dolphin on Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
America wrote:
also dude was in foul trouble all game every game. played 22 minutes against Kansas in the tournament and did absolutely nothing, basically got run out of the gym. UNC wang whipped him too, never played more than 30 minutes against them and he looked mediocre each time. This guy isn't good, he fooled people by being smart and hard working. That's great, I'm sure he'll have a wonderful career doing something else, but in the NBA you gotta be really good at basketball.

Yeah. The more that you look at it the worse the pick looks. I think he's a 10 and 10 guy at best.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:54 am 

good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
[Well that's obviously because of the roster size of each respective sport. Has nothing to do with the quality of players in each draft.

No. If Lamar Jackson (5th player taken at his position) is not a starting QB at or before year 4, that is a wasted pick and the GM will take heat. If Omari Spellman never starts a game in his career, no one will care.

That’s wrong too.

Kizer just got traded for peanuts after one failed rookie year and nobody in Cleveland seems to give a shit or put heat on their GM.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:04 am 

FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
pittmike wrote:
long time guy wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Cool.

LTG is right here.

Well that's obviously because of the roster size of each respective sport. Has nothing to do with the quality of players in each draft.[/quote]

Yep. NFL team starts 24 (offense/Defense punter kicker) guys a game and the NBA starts five. That isn't including the special teams guys. No comparison. Likelihood of an NFL player starting is much greater.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:08 am 

America wrote:

Yeah. The more that you look at it the worse the pick looks. I think he's a 10 and 10 guy at best.

You are luck if the 7th pick in the draft is friggin Taj.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:13 am 

FavreFan wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

That’s wrong too.

Kizer just got traded for peanuts after one failed rookie year and nobody in Cleveland seems to give a shit or put heat on their GM.

John Dorsey did not draft Kizer

Kizer was a starter in year 1 as a second round pick and was considered a bust after that short of a time. That shows you the expectation level of an NFL pick.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:16 am 

pittmike wrote:
America wrote:

Comps i have read have already stated that he is better. Much better.

After last year's Lauri bashing i thought MANY would give GarPax the benefit of the doubt. Guess not.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:18 am 

pittmike wrote:
America wrote:

ok so then why did the Bulls dawdle around at 1.7 when the price to move up to 1.3 (and grab Doncic) was so low?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:21 am 

pittmike wrote:
America wrote:

Or Steph Curry.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:24 am 

long time guy wrote:
[
Yep. NFL team starts 24 (offense/Defense punter kicker) guys a game and the NBA starts five. That isn't including the special teams guys. No comparison. Likelihood of an NFL player starting is much greater.

The fifth best QB in the draft (actually it goes farther down than that) must start or be considered a bust. The fifth best PG will be lucky to be in the G league

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next