It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:05 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Furious Styles wrote:
Young Furious watched Stormin' honked down some big rails in a private bar area when he was the coach of the Rockford Lighting.

A guy I know used to sell him blow.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Douchebag wrote:

We only got Bill Wennington at my school, and he basically just answered questions about how awesome Michael Jordan was at basketball.

Remember that time we were at a game and Wennington was sitting in whatever that bar area was on the lower level all by himself :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:30 pm 

Bagels wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

We only got Bill Wennington at my school, and he basically just answered questions about how awesome Michael Jordan was at basketball.

Remember that time we were at a game and Wennington was sitting in whatever that bar area was on the lower level all by himself :lol:

:lol: :lol:

Yep. It was like he was begging people to come over and talk to him.

Reminded me of this:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
Circa 2000 or so, I worked with Norm at what was then the Fox iteration of the local RSN, working on pre- and post- game shows. He was himself off camera as well as on. I ran to Subway once to grab a sandwich and asked him if he wanted something...back then it was like 3 bucks...he offered to pay and I said no (cause it was 3 bucks)...he seemed to be really taken a back by that insignificant gesture. He always treated the crew with kindness and dignity. I always sensed a bit of sadness in him despite his fame/fortune. I think he was trying to deal with his demons at that point. Our paths crossed again years later and he was always a joy to work with, at least in my experience.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:09 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
At an ESPN outing, he was literally hugging and tonguing the ear of one of the female interns at dinner.

I felt bad for the girl. She was laughing about it but it was a different time.

My wife saw him do that several times after he hit on her once. She asked me what he did to become famous.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Heisenberg wrote:
I thought it was clear that he sadly took his own life.

Based on what?

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:32 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I mean I had a shot with the guy on the 18th tee box. He was a joy all day long as we waited to tee off with him in the group behind us. We were golfing with Ronnie Bull.

I'd never heard of Ronnie Bull but my older brother was very impressed and Norm and Ronnie were apparently pretty good friends based on their conversations on the tee box.

I should have brought that up in my Mac podcast. It was his golf outing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Furious Styles wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

Based on what?

Just recalling the news at the time. He was relatively young and there was no obvious cause of death (accident, cancer, etc.). Typically that means a suicide, but is downplayed in deference to the family. I’m pretty sure the Score discussed it in those terms as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:40 pm 

Heisenberg wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

Based on what?

Just recalling the news at the time. He was relatively young and there was no obvious cause of death (accident, cancer, etc.). Typically that means a suicide, but is downplayed in deference to the family. I’m pretty sure the Score discussed it in those terms as well.

He died at 61, and probably partied harder than most people on this board could ever dream of. It's not like he retired from hoops and just dropped dead.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:49 pm 

i used to know all his one liners but all i can remember now is 48 minutes of intensity. he convinced me there is no such thing as "tired" in the nba.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Douchebag wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

Based on what?

He died at 61, and probably partied harder than most people on this board could ever dream of. It's not like he retired from hoops and just dropped dead.

He was also a professional athlete, not overweight, and didn’t smoke when I met him. I don’t really care either way, but it is unusual for a seemingly healthy 61 year old to just drop dead.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Heisenberg wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

Based on what?

Comcast colleague Mark Schanowski said Van Lier had "different health issues the last few years that sapped him of his energy," but a change in medication seemed to have perked him up.

"He was turning the corner health-wise, getting his energy back -- he said it was the best he'd felt in a long time," Schanowski said.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:26 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Sounds more like too many drugs for too long and his heart gave out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:36 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Me and Norm used to run into each other at the same shop. We both knew this great barber from the old hood who set up a new place trying to rejuvenate 63rd and Wood. Wasn’t a bad hood about 82. You would get a cut then roll down Wood south from 63rd. When they saw a white guy roll the window down they knew what you wanted. 15 kids walked up offering competing dime bags.

Anyway Norm was cool and I’d go to El Gallo de Or for a streak torta on the way home.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:47 am 

pizza_Place: The Hut
Douchebag wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

Based on what?

Didn't Norm die on the same day as Johnny "Red" Kerr?

Election 2020-The Largest Fraud in the History of Mankind.

*If you believe that Biden won, you also believe that Epstein killed himself*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:49 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
They did. What a week of Score programming that was. Norm stories, the Joe from Evanston call, and George misplacing a modifier and burying Red Kerr's children alive.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:40 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Curious Hair wrote:
Sounds more like too many drugs for too long and his heart gave out.

This is where I was going....whether it's blow or even prescription drugs or a combination of both....the heart eventually says enough.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:39 am 

I remember listening to a radio show with Norm and some guy....cannot remember his name. Dude loved video games and was always talking about cheat codes and such. It wasn't on the Score. Anyone remember who I am talking about?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Douchebag wrote:
I always loved Norm during that horrendous Bulls run during the early 2000's. He could make the telecast somewhat enjoyable. Wish he were alive today to torch this shit show currently on the court.

This period is when I first started watching basketball as a kid. Damon Andrews hardly talked. It was mostly Norm talking shit to everybody except Jalen Rose.