It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:35 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
I never said anything about when Grant left.

I beg to differ
veganfan21 wrote:
Grant was replaced by Rodman for the 95-96 season.

veganfan21 wrote:
I said Rodman was brought in to replace him. I believe the way you'd put it is that Jordan himself traded Purdue for Rodman then took over his body during games to will the Bulls to victory. He also took over the bodies of Kukoc, Brown, Williams, Kerr, Harper, and Pippen. In his free time, he saved babies from raging fires by dropping them from high-rise buildings into the waiting arms of himself. Reportedly, he also gave birth to himself.

Now you're trolling because you can't admit that you had it wrong. It happens to the best of us (and in your case worst of us) champ.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
veganfan21 wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
The special should of been called "Michael Jordan". Reinsdorf, Krause, Phil, other players owe all their success in that period to MJ. Psycho Krause would be a labeled a huge nothing failure without MJ.

Michael would have been another Ewing or Barkley without Krause at worst (great player, no rings), and maybe a Hakeem at best (one or two rings). Had Michael been in charge of personnel he would have traded the picks used to draft Pippen and Grant for Rod Higgins and then signed Charles Oakley to a 25 year extension.

Don't forget the key to the first championship- Walter Davis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 12:45 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
The special should of been called "Michael Jordan". Reinsdorf, Krause, Phil, other players owe all their success in that period to MJ. Psycho Krause would be a labeled a huge nothing failure without MJ.

Michael would have been another Ewing or Barkley without Krause at worst (great player, no rings), and maybe a Hakeem at best (one or two rings). Had Michael been in charge of personnel he would have traded the picks used to draft Pippen and Grant for Rod Higgins and then signed Charles Oakley to a 25 year extension.

Vegan has never seen Walter Davis play. . Never heard of him either. He's a Johnny come lately masquerading as a "long time guy"
For the record Walter Davis was a baller. Jordan wasn't wrong for wanting to add him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:00 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Vegan has never seen Walter Davis play. . Never heard of him either. He's a Johnny come lately masquerading as a "long time guy"
For the record Walter Davis was a baller. Jordan wasn't wrong for wanting to add him.

Oh I know he was a baller. Jordan was pissed that they didn't trade for him during the 90-91 season; he went to Portland instead. You have to remember Jordan always wanted North Carolina players on the team and he idolized Davis as a youth. I think the Bulls did just fine without Davis.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:35 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Oh I know he was a baller. Jordan was pissed that they didn't trade for him during the 90-91 season; he went to Portland instead. You have to remember Jordan always wanted North Carolina players on the team and he idolized Davis as a youth. I think the Bulls did just fine without Davis.

Remember when Krause thought about drafting Joe Wolf? Couldn't tell if that was more Krause or Jordan on that one. That may have been the only time they agreed on something. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its just strange that Walter Davis gets bashed now as if he was a bum.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
long time guy wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Remember when Krause thought about drafting Joe Wolf? Couldn't tell if that was more Krause or Jordan on that one. That may have been the only time they agreed on something. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah he wasn't a bum.

Maybe it would've worked out here.

Who knows.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 6:44 am 

pizza_Place: Obbies
The Candyman a bum :lol: 6 time All-Star and the Suns All-Time Leading Scorer!

I'm out.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:48 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Bulls title years/payroll rank
1- 22nd
2- 3rd
3- 4th
4- 15th
5- 1st
6- 1st
Next year rebuild - 28th
2nd rebuild year- 28th
3rd year rebuild- 28th
4th year rebuild- 27th

House that Jordan built was still packed. Huge media, merchandise revenue. Plus no way Floyd made Phil's 6 million a year.Reinsdorf made a fortune tearing the team down. The two wise men had a plan.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:50 am 

Another stellar move by Krause.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html
Quote:
The saga of Dennis Hopson, the player who was supposed to end the Bulls`

bench scoring problems, but who merely found himself at the end of the bench, finally came to an end Monday when he was traded to the Sacramento Kings.

In return, the Bulls obtained Bobby Hansen, noted mostly for his defense and inability to score, and a second-round draft choice in 1992. And Hopson receives a new life in the National Basketball Association.

''I guess they really did me a favor,'' said Hopson, 26, whom the Bulls acquired in 1990 from the New Jersey Nets for a first-round draft choice and two second-rounders
''It was great to be on a championship team, and I`ll miss being with a winner, but I just want to play. The Kings are a young team, so I should get some

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 5:55 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
long time guy wrote:

Quote:

bench scoring problems, but who merely found himself at the end of the bench, finally came to an end Monday when he was traded to the Sacramento Kings.

In return, the Bulls obtained Bobby Hansen, noted mostly for his defense and inability to score, and a second-round draft choice in 1992. And Hopson receives a new life in the National Basketball Association.

''I guess they really did me a favor,'' said Hopson, 26, whom the Bulls acquired in 1990 from the New Jersey Nets for a first-round draft choice and two second-rounders
''It was great to be on a championship team, and I`ll miss being with a winner, but I just want to play. The Kings are a young team, so I should get some

Not a Krause fan. But he gave up a low 1990 1st rd pick for Hopson. NJ took stiff Tate George in slim pickins. In that year's 2nd rd. he took Toni Kukoc with a pick he got from Orlando for cardboard cutout Dave Corzine.

In that 1991 article Sam Smith says with indifferent play thus far from Will Perdue and Stacey King. Two of Krause's biggest high 1st rd. busts. Smith just this past couple of weeks now praised Krause's drafts.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:29 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Quote:

Not a Krause fan. But he gave up a low 1990 1st rd pick for Hopson. NJ took stiff Tate George in slim pickins. In that year's 2nd rd. he took Toni Kukoc with a pick he got from Orlando for cardboard cutout Dave Corzine.

In that 1991 article Sam Smith says with indifferent play thus far from Will Perdue and Stacey King. Two of Krause's biggest high 1st rd. busts. Smith just this past couple of weeks now praised Krause's drafts.

Yeah but Elden Campbell was also picked later. Elden Campbell was better than any Center that the Bulls had during their title run. That includes Cartwright. Not as a rookie but as a pro. The Lakers drafted 2 Centers in successive years that were better than any Center the Bulls had on their roster.

As far as Busts go there were more than just King and Perdue. Brad Sellers was a bust. Jeff Sanders was a flop too.

Michael Jordan believed that Krause was a terrible talent evaluator and said as much. Doug Collins and everyone from Reinsdorf on down had to get him to take Ho Grant. He was hellbent on drafting Joe Wolf.

Pippen was a Marty Blake discovery more than anything.

They won but they were damn lucky to have Jordan in place before Krause started all of his sleuthing.

Last edited by long time guy on Wed May 06, 2020 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:55 am 

Have never believed that the breakup of the Bulls was primarily on Krause however. Don't think that was entirely or even mostly his fault. From 16 years ago.

https://www.espn.com/nba/columns/story? ... id=1936782
Quote:
Perhaps he may not remember it that way, but both after that posed winning shot against the Utah Jazz in 1998 -- and there was a reason for that pose -- Jordan was telling confidants he would never play again.

Yes, it's why he did pose. He knew that was the last shot, and that's the way people talked about it then.

He couldn't stand playing with Scottie Pippen anymore. He was furious at Pippen for again missing a final game of the playoffs, as with the migrane episode of 1990. He was sick of all the injuries, still upset Pippen elected to have surgery just as training camp was to begin and wouldn't rejoin the team until midseason, sticking Jordan with Dennis Rodman. He was sick of Luc Longley and all the dropped passes

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

Jerry Krause was a great GM. Bottom line. He made a lot of great moves.

Was he an ass hole? Yes.

But Michael Jordan was an ass hole. Phil Jackson was an ass hole. Scottie Pippen was an ass hole. Jerry Reinsdorf is an ass hole.

This dynasty was created by a bunch of ass holes. So what? We got a dynasty out of the ass holes.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:03 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Jerry Krause was a great GM. Bottom line. He made a lot of great moves.

Was he an ass hole? Yes.

But Michael Jordan was an ass hole. Phil Jackson was an ass hole. Scottie Pippen was an ass hole. Jerry Reinsdorf is an ass hole.

This dynasty was created by a bunch of ass holes. So what? We got a dynasty out of the ass holes.

His personality was of little concern. What were all of these "great moves"? He was on the job 18 years and there were plenty of guys better than him at his job scattered around the league.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:34 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
He was good at trades and bad at drafts when the Bulls were good, then when he had no assets left to trade and had to rely on the draft, he was exposed. Does that about sum it up?

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:40 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Few had faith Krause could build a champion from scratch. The MANY were correct. It was with glee that I watched him fail. And fail spectacularly.

LTG has outlined well Krause's "genius". That 87 draft for instance. The one that made Krause's career. The one that forgives all his shit picks. Say he wasn't laser focused on Pippen, also available besides Horace were Reggie Miller, Kenny Smith, Kevin Johnson, and Mark Jackson. The thing you have to remember is that Pippen came into the league raw. His rookie year WAS NOT GOOD. Michael developed him. Krause picked him but Michael made him a HOFer. Basically from scratch.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:55 pm 
1000 CLUB

The Pippen draft, I know it was technically a trade but it was done on draft day. Drafted Grant. Traded Oakley for Cartreight, then the Rodman trade, for only fuckin Will Purdue, who replaced Grant. A steal.

He drafted Toni Kucok in the 2nd round in 1990. Another steal. Didn't get him to the Bulls until the 2nd 3-peat. But Toni doesn't get enough credit. He was a good player. And important to the 2nd 3-peat.

Jerry Krause was a good GM.

People who say he wasn't are wrong.

He always had the 3 point guys. Paxon, Hodges and Kerr. Krause guys.

He was good.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Beardown wrote:
The Pippen draft, I know it was technically a trade but it was done on draft day. Drafted Grant. Traded Oakley for Cartreight, then the Rodman trade, for only fuckin Will Purdue, who replaced Grant. A steal.

He drafted Toni Kucok in the 2nd round in 1990. Another steal. Didn't get him to the Bulls until the 2nd 3-peat. But Toni doesn't get enough credit. He was a good player. And important to the 2nd 3-peat.

He was good.

Yep. And the NBA basically changed for the worse once Jordan quit and the Bulls dynasty was done. The rules changed afterward. Players started running the league to the league's detriment. Under the rules in which Krause lived within he was good. When Jordan, Pippin, and Jackson went out and sowed the seed of hate against the Bulls, free agents didn't want to go to Chicago because of the vile bullshit that they put out there.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

I think that theory is bullshit. But people like to say it cuz the Bulls didn't get the top line free agents. It's not like the Knicks got the top line free agents either.

They did what they wanted to do. Nothing to do with Krause after the dynasty.

Basically, in the NBA, you gotta get a top 2 pick in the draft when their are studs. That's it. Once you get that guy you're great. If you don't, you suck or are average. It's that simple.

Baseball and Football are more than that. You need a lot. Not the NBA.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:00 pm 

Beardown wrote:

He was good.

It wasn't hard when you had the greatest player in the history of the game on your roster to start out with.

His staff convinced him to take Grant. He wanted Joe Wolf.

His Assistant GM convinced him to trade for Rodman whixh should have been a no brainer.

Cartwright wasn't a great get. He was mediocre as hell by the time the Bulls traded for him.

Drafted Sellers. Bust

Drafted Perdue Bust.

Drafted Stacey King. Bust.

Jeff Sanders Bust.

Drafted Oakley over Karl Malone even though Malone was easily the better college player and pro prospect.

Traded a First Rd pick for a guy that rarely played and traded a year later.

Kukoc was a good get. Pippen was a great pickup.

The Bulls supporting cast mostly sucked during those title years. That's on Krause.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:32 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Wow. "Masquerading as a LONG TIME GUY"? What a pompous ass you are once again. Vegan has absolutely the right to his opinion and for you to insult him is just once again the mark of an egotistical ass. You hate Krause and it has absolutely all to do with your massive ego so when anyone disputes your opinion you insult him. He didn't insult you , asshole. He disputed your assessment and it was well founded.

There are a number of people on this board who I would trust with an insight or opinion. The last person I would trust is you. Even Frank knows a bit about baseball. You do not know shit about anything.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:36 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

I don't think he is being bashed. He was a good player. But Jordan wasn't the GM and never has put a championship team together as one or as an owner. Krause did it six times I think.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:40 pm 

vitoscotti wrote:
Bulls title years/payroll rank
1- 22nd
2- 3rd
3- 4th
4- 15th
5- 1st
6- 1st
Next year rebuild - 28th
2nd rebuild year- 28th
3rd year rebuild- 28th
4th year rebuild- 27th

House that Jordan built was still packed. Huge media, merchandise revenue. Plus no way Floyd made Phil's 6 million a year.Reinsdorf made a fortune tearing the team down. The two wise men had a plan.

I don't think that was Krause. Krause had his own ego and wanted to win. I believe this was all on Reinny and Krause was his fall guy. Bottom line I hate Reinny mainly for his shit job with the White Sox. I really hate Reinny double for his double-crossing Thibs and failing to fire Paxson and Gar very early on.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:05 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Quote:

And Krause got Hansen, who hit a couple of key shots in that Gm 6 comeback against the Blazers.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:49 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
He was good at trades and bad at drafts when the Bulls were good, then when he had no assets left to trade and had to rely on the draft, he was exposed. Does that about sum it up?

Yes.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/jerry-krause-explains-why-bulls-dynasty-unraveled-his-words
Jerry Krause explains why the Bulls’ dynasty unraveled, in his words
By K.C. Johnson May 17, 2020 6:00 PM
In this final excerpt from Jerry Krause's unfinished and unpublished memoir, the Bulls' general manager pulls back the curtain on the end of the dynasty.

“There’s Jerry Krause, the guy who broke up the championship dynasty.”

“There’s Jerry Krause, the guy with the huge ego who wanted to build a championship team without Michael Jordan and Phil Jackson, the guy who thought he was more important than the players and coaches.”

If I’ve heard or seen those quotes a thousand times in different publications and venues throughout America, you can be sure there were thousands of them said to which I wasn’t privy.

Up until now, as you read this, nobody outside of Jerry Reinsdorf, myself and a few select people in the Bulls organization really knows what happened in the aftermath of winning our sixth world championship in eight years.

Did we break up the winning team so that we could satisfy our own egos and win without those players and coaches? Do you really think that people who worked for so many years to win and then win again and again would be dumb enough to let egos get in the way of trying to win again?

Do you think that an organization built with one single purpose, from its chairman on down through the lowest-ranking member of the front office — to win championships — would easily give up that thought?

During the last championship run in 1998, cracks in the foundation of the teams we’d built began to alarmingly show up at inopportune times. To the adoring public, the age that was showing on Dennis Rodman, the lack of movement by Luc Longley, the slowdown in efficiency after playing over 100 games per year in two of the previous three seasons, was not apparent. The lack of recovery time in the summer, where beaten-up legs could have enough time on (strength and conditioning coach) Al Vermeil’s summer program to gain back the strength they’d lost in playing far longer than any other team in the league, never struck the fans or the media. The fact that winning titles meant drafting last each year in what at the time were poor draft crops meant nothing. We’d gotten lucky in 1990 in that most NBA people did not think that Toni Kukoc would even come to the NBA, and he’d fallen to early in the second round where we had a pick.

But to the fans and media, we had Michael Jordan and he could overcome anything. He could play without a center and a power forward for a capped team with little or no flexibility and still win by himself. Or Scottie Pippen, with two operations in the previous two years, could rise to the occasion and win with Michael and a declining supporting cast.

We had the finest coach in the game in Phil Jackson, whom the public did not know didn’t want to coach a rebuilding team and who’d informed us before the season that he wanted to ride off to Montana and take at least a year off.

I’m now going to take you to a place no Bulls outsider has ever been, a meeting in early July 1998. It was attended by Jerry Reinsdorf, myself, (assistant general manager) Jim Stack, Al Vermeil, the team doctors and surgeons, (VP of finance) Irwin Mandel and (assistant to the GM) Karen Stack. Vermeil knew more about the condition of the players’ bodies than even the medical people. He had continually tested them in and out of season during the entire championship run. We had asked then-trainer Chip Schaefer to submit a written report on the team’s health. Phil had made his decision (to leave) eight months before the meeting.

The first question I asked was how much did people think we could get out of Luc Longley, a free-agent-to-be who we’d had to rest periodically over the last few years because of unstable ankles. Al and the doctors thought he would break down quickly.

Next question: Rodman? Each person in the room was concerned that Dennis’ off-court meanderings had caught up with him, that he was playing on fumes at the end of the season.

OK. No center, no power forward, very little (cap space) to sign anybody of any quality to replace them. Who defends in the middle if Jordan and Pippen do come back? Who rebounds?

We go to Pippen. He’s had two major surgeries in two years, one of them late in the summer to purposely defy our instructions to do it earlier and not miss regular-season time. He wants to rightfully be paid superstar dollars. Is he worth the risk, especially if we can’t find a center and a power forward, and he and Michael have to carry the load for a new coach? I seriously doubt it.

Can Michael continue his greatness without a center, power forward and possibly Pippen? Could Bill Russell, the greatest team player ever, have won without great players around him? No. Michael has said publicly that he will not play for a coach other than Phil. Phil has told us he’s gone. What does Michael do?

The important role players like Steve Kerr and Jud Buechler are free agents who can get more money from other teams than we can give them under the cap rules.

Could we get Phil to coach without a proven center, power forward, probably Pippen, a basically new bench and crazy expectations that “in Michael we trust” can win without help? Not a chance.

Put yourself in our shoes as we walk out of that room. What would you do? Did we break up a dynasty or was the dynasty breaking up of age, natural attrition of NBA players with little time to recuperate and the salary-cap rules that govern the game?

One thing we did do was make sure no information got out of that meeting that could hurt any player’s chances of getting a quality contract. Phoenix gave Longley lifetime security in the form of a five-year deal at huge dollars. Three years later, having been dumped by Phoenix on an unsuspecting Knicks team, Longley was retired in his native country.

Rodman played 35 more games, never able to regain his previous form.

As the summer wore on and players were locked out of the training facilities by the league — that would mean the NBA season would not start until late January — things got even worse. Michael sliced a finger on a cigar cutter that would’ve prevented him from playing an entire season. To his credit, he could have stiffed us and signed a huge contract. But he was honest and we were well informed what the condition of the hand was. He didn’t want to play on a rebuilding team, and he stuck to his word.

In January, when the league was about to resume and free agents could be signed, Pippen’s agents asked us to do Scottie a favor. By doing a sign-and-trade with Houston, Scottie could get more than $20 million more than he could by just signing a straight-out contract. Jerry and I gave him his going-away present. I called Steve and Jud and told them the situation and to take the first good contract they could because we were not going to bid for them. They deserved it.

There you have it, the truth.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:07 pm 

No reference to his "Phil could go 82-0 and he won't come back next year" comment.

Worthless column.

Not out of the ordinary for KC Johnson.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Terry's Peeps wrote:
No reference to his "Phil could go 82-0 and he won't come back next year" comment.

Worthless column.

To be fair, KC didn’t really write that, Krause did. Re-read the first sentences.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:11 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Worthless column.

To be fair, KC didn’t really write that, Krause did. Re-read the first sentences.

I know.

But I like taking shots at KC.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 6:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
FrankDrebin wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

No defense and he was 31

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next