It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 7:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Jerry's book was pretty short.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:33 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
No reference to his "Phil could go 82-0 and he won't come back next year" comment.

Worthless column.

Not out of the ordinary for KC Johnson.

KC Johnson witnessed all of this, he just decided to let Woj write about it instead.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
billypootons wrote:
Jerry's book was pretty short.
Reading is a skill.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Douchebag wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
No reference to his "Phil could go 82-0 and he won't come back next year" comment.

Worthless column.

Not out of the ordinary for KC Johnson.

KC Johnson witnessed all of this, he just decided to let Woj write about it instead.

I don’t have a problem with criticizing K.C. but he wasn’t really a full time Bulls beat guy until after their championship run.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 9:47 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
this going to be not PC but after watching the doc it felt like Jerry Krause's dream team would be a building a team of all white players.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
HawaiiYou wrote:
this going to be not PC but after watching the doc it felt like Jerry Krause's dream team would be a building a team of all white players.

You are really posting a lot of stupid things.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:14 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
HawaiiYou wrote:

No, Krause was as infatuated with Natural Athletes as any grizzled old scout, but he definitely did want to round out the bench with low-key white guys who would stay out of trouble. "Our Kind Of People," right?

I should admit here that I'm cheating and paraphrasing an old, old Ben Joravsky piece on Krause that I read last night. I'll pull it back up in a sec but basically, Krause hit Reinsdorf with some three-point plan of guys with long arms, tenacious rebounders, and guys who wouldn't have drug problems, and Reinsdorf was so impressed that he walked down the hall and fired Rod Thorn.

EDIT: https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/n ... oid=875564

Quote:
"I was down in spring training to scout the free agents when Jerry called one day," says Krause. 'He said, "I need you in the office at eight in the morning.' I said, 'You got something going with the Sox?' He said, 'No, I want you to run the Bulls.'"

So they sat down and Reinsdorf asked Krause what he would do if he could control the Bulls. And Krause started in with his plan, which was not much different from the one he had unveiled almost ten years before.

First, he would clean house of the old, jaded players. "The way I figured it we had a whole bunch of Fords making Cadillac pay," says Krause. "It was selfish. Everyone was playing for themselves."

Second, he would build from the draft. No more free agents. After all, he was a scout--the draft was his strength. The first thing he wanted was a banger--some guy who could go in and grab a lot of rebounds and rough people up. Then he would look for some fast guys with long arms--Krause has always loved long arms--and good jump shots to take advantage of all the double-teaming that Michael Jordan was facing. And Krause would draft only solid, law-abiding citizens. He didn't want anyone who had the slightest tinge of drug or alcohol abuse.

Finally, Krause would abide no more decision by committee. He would answer to Reinsdorf, but no one else.

Reinsdorf says he decided to hire him on the spot.

The next day Reinsdorf called Rod Thorn into his office to let him go. "I waited downstairs," says Krause. "When I saw Jerry afterwards his face was ashen. He said, 'In all the years in business I only had to fire one guy. This ain't easy.' I thought to myself, 'Well, that's a good sign to me.'"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7