It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:25 pm 

Or so says some guy from the Ringer. Makes a compelling case for the modern era and its game.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2020/5/18 ... -evolution
https://youtu.be/tHcc6mv2KLc

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
long time guy wrote:
Or so says some guy from the Ringer. Makes a compelling case for the modern era and its game.

The article is just stupid. The game is different now is not some revelation. If you took a time machine and transported the team to now they could not compete argument is recency bias. And saying Lebron could not be hurt if they hit him with hard fouls is just as dumb.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
This is a common trope. as if this era of chucking and abusing the rules is some revalation.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
It’d really be a shame to have Jordan and Pippen and guys like Malone and Ewing trying to shoot and perfect three’s. Imagine missing Jordan and Pippen consistently going hard to the rim or Jordan and that sweet turnaround. Malone and that pick n roll mid range jumper to Ewing on the baseline.

How would Shaq have played? David Robinson.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
denisdman wrote:
It’d really be a shame to have Jordan and Pippen and guys like Malone and Ewing trying to shoot and perfect three’s. Imagine missing Jordan and Pippen consistently going hard to the rim or Jordan and that sweet turnaround. Malone and that pick n roll mid range jumper to Ewing on the baseline.

Jordan wouldn't abandon the mid range game in today's game. Kawhi won a title last year built around the mid range game. He would shoot more 3's but I don't see that as a problem.

Of course Jordan would dominate in today's game. Any other take is overthinking it.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:52 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
long time guy wrote:

The article is just stupid. The game is different now is not some revelation. If you took a time machine and transported the team to now they could not compete argument is recency bias. And saying Lebron could not be hurt if they hit him with hard fouls is just as dumb.

So other than disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing you have nothing. Shocking!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:54 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Jordan wouldn't abandon the mid range game in today's game. Kawhi won a title last year built around the mid range game. He would shoot more 3's but I don't see that as a problem.

Of course Jordan would dominate in today's game. Any other take is overthinking it.

I wonder if the Bulls would be able to score enough for the modern day game. You aren't winning anything scoring 80 -90 points in today's game

Last edited by long time guy on Mon May 18, 2020 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:56 pm 

Jordan would do whatever it took in any era to win. Is this not abundantly clear after this documentary?

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:58 pm 

It's funny people act like Jordan couldn't have been an elite 3 point shooter if he needed to be but James Harden could figure it out.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:01 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
FavreFan wrote:
I figure most sane people know that Jordan and perhaps Babe Ruth are the only two guys in the history of team sports that you could transport into any era and their career numbers would still be remarkably similar.

I guess maybe Jordan wouldn't have had quite as many career points if he played before the 3 point shot, but thats it.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Last edited by Frank Coztansa on Mon May 18, 2020 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:01 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It's funny people act like Jordan couldn't have been an elite 3 point shooter if he needed to be but James Harden could figure it out.

Like Favre said he would not have had to be. There are elite players that don't shoot a lot of 3's in today's game.

With the inability to hand check he would have been even more of a nightmare to guard too.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:05 pm 

His more compelling argument was regarding the Bulls as a team's ability to win in today's game.
Quote:
That difference would be a huge problem for the Bulls in any hypothetical matchup with a modern champion. The 2017-18 Warriors would pack the paint, send multiple defenders at Jordan and Scottie Pippen, and dare players like Ron Harper (28.9 percent from 3 on 1.8 attempts per game) and Dennis Rodman (23.1 percent on 0.4 attempts) to beat them from the perimeter. If Chicago responded by bringing shooters like Steve Kerr and Toni Kukoc off the bench, Golden State would spread the floor to prevent the Bulls from helping them out and then put them in pick-and-rolls against Steph Curry and Kevin Durant. (Imagining how Kerr, the Warriors coach, would strategize against Kerr, the Bulls player, is one of the more mind-bending aspects of these made-up scenarios.)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:10 pm 

This is so stupid. The Bulls built around Jordan/Pippen to fit the needs of the time. If they were building this team in 2015 they wouldn't have signed someone like Rodman.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:18 pm 

Antarctica wrote:
This is so stupid. The Bulls built around Jordan/Pippen to fit the needs of the time. If they were building this team in 2015 they wouldn't have signed someone like Rodman.

The argument is relative to the teams as they were constructed at the time.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:22 pm 

long time guy wrote:
His more compelling argument was regarding the Bulls as a team's ability to win in today's game.
Quote:
That difference would be a huge problem for the Bulls in any hypothetical matchup with a modern champion. The 2017-18 Warriors would pack the paint, send multiple defenders at Jordan and Scottie Pippen, and dare players like Ron Harper (28.9 percent from 3 on 1.8 attempts per game) and Dennis Rodman (23.1 percent on 0.4 attempts) to beat them from the perimeter. If Chicago responded by bringing shooters like Steve Kerr and Toni Kukoc off the bench, Golden State would spread the floor to prevent the Bulls from helping them out and then put them in pick-and-rolls against Steph Curry and Kevin Durant. (Imagining how Kerr, the Warriors coach, would strategize against Kerr, the Bulls player, is one of the more mind-bending aspects of these made-up scenarios.)

Why is this guy even mentioning Rodman's three point stats? He only took them in garbage time, and they were mostly just because the crowd was goading him in to chucking them up. The guy couldn't hit anything outside of 5 feet from the basket, and his game never needed it.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:34 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
I think Jordan translates easily to today’s 3 point game.

He shot .333 on threes for his career while hitting 84% free throws.
Lebron has shot .350 from 3 while hitting 75% from the free throw line.

The importance of free throws didn’t really change for star players between eras. Both went to the line a decent amount of times. Had there been an emphasis on three point shooting I think this shows he would be able to improve from there.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
The only thing compelling is I didn't realize how much I miss the old style of play.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:09 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
long time guy wrote:

I wonder if the Bulls would be able to score enough for the modern day game. You aren't winning anything scoring 80 -90 points in today's game

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:43 am 

MJ would have just stayed in the gym for sixteen hours a day practicing three pointers until he was the best at it. Does anyone doubt his athletic ability to be the greatest shooter ever

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 8:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Salamone's
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

The Bulls first two championship teams averaged 110 per game. Averaged 105 the 3rd title year.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:33 am 

JP1111 wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

The Bulls first two championship teams averaged 110 per game. Averaged 105 the 3rd title year.

Those last two teams were on fumes offensively

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:41 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Even a 'vette on fumes can still go 120mph for a while.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Jordan would be averaging like 45 pts a game.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:34 am 

People probably thought the same thing about 5 years before the Bulls started dominating the era.

The Bulls changed the way basketball was being played at the time. I assume they would have a similar impact on the style of any era.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Frank Coztansa wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I figure most sane people know that Jordan and perhaps Babe Ruth are the only two guys in the history of team sports that you could transport into any era and their career numbers would still be remarkably similar.

I guess maybe Jordan wouldn't have had quite as many career points if he played before the 3 point shot, but thats it.

I'd say that in basketball has some other terrific cases of players who would be able to dominate in later decades especially because of several rule changes along the way. I think, for example, that Jerry West and Oscar would have had better stats in their career than they did in their era. Imagine, for example, how many threes that West would have had and Oscar's assist and point totals would have been increased also. The other guy clearly would be Wilt. There would be no one in the NBA who could stop Wilt and with the ticky tack fouls that they call now, even his terrible free throw shooting would still add more points at the foul line.

In baseball also, the greats of the game would also be great in the modern day. For sure, Ruth would dominate but there are also many others. Ted Williams was the best hitter that I ever saw and next to Ruth the best hitter of all time. Imagine him as a DH. He probably could have DHed into his 50s. Mays, Aaron, Rose, Bob Gibson, Warren Spahn, and others would still be great today. And don't forget the Negro Leagues. Imagine Josh Gibson, Cool Papa Bell, Satchel and the like playing today.

In football its different to a degree. Some like Bill George, Doug Adkins and Butkus would still be great but if you go earlier I don't know. Probably there would be some running backs and defensive backs that would do well but linemen and lbs would have, I think, a harder time handling the size of the personnel now and their speed.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:41 am 

long time guy wrote:
Quote:

Where I think the Bulls would dominate would be defensively Rodman and Pippen are pretty much on ball defenders in history and Jordan is elite also. Ron Harper was a very good defender also. The Bulls would own the boards and would shut down the Warriors perimeter game.

The guy who would thrive in today's game and any match-up with the Warriors would be Toni Kukoc. His ball skills were terrific and in an up tempo game he would average over 20 per game easily with today's rules and how the game gets officiated.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:29 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Quote:

The guy that wrote this garbage was an idiot. Who in the hell was going to "pack the paint" for the Warriors? Who is going to guard Jordan? Who is going to keep Pippen from scoring as well as Kukoc? It would be the Warriors who would have a really tough time scoring against the Bulls, not the other way around. In Pippin, Rodman, Harper, and Jordan, the Bulls had four of the best one ball defenders in the NBA and Kukoc played the passing lanes well. In a seven game series the Bulls would win in six.