It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Ricobene's
IkeSouth wrote:
Y'all say Donnie misused him by keeping him a shooter then you say he's a great shooter

A shooter who never got a,chance to shoot.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
The Doctor Of Style wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Excuses. Plain and simple. A stud would show it regardless, whether it's spurts in games, in practice (where every teammate would know and talk about it) or at least in training camp. It's also silly to think that the head coach wouldn't recognize his skills or would purposely hide them. PAW just doesn't have that dog in him.
What basketball have you been watching? His teammates and team announcers have talked about his talent since he entered the league. And the coach does determine how he is going to be used. Or if he is going to be used at all. And if Donovan were doing such a bang-up job of coaching, then why did Vuc meet with him about he's used on 2 separate occasions before resigning? And why did it take Lavine being injured before the offense changed?

And whether the Paw becomes a,star or not is besides the point. He's hardly a bum. Which is what you and quite a few others here were Screaming over the past couple of seasons. He shot over 40% from 3 last season and also was one of the toughest guys in the league to score on. That's hardly spells "bust" does it?

I never said the coach doesn’t determine how a player is used, nor did I say Billy-D is doing a bang-up job. The team has underperformed and that is on him and AK more than anyone. The point is if PAW were showing some great skill in practice I don’t believe for a second that Donavon wouldn’t recognize it or refuse to use it. Given where he was drafted, PAW has been a disappointment. Defense is nice but nobody would use a high pick on that skill alone (maybe if he were 7’+ tall).

The "great skill" that he has been showing has actually been done in games. He is trending towards being a "great" shooter. 40% from 3 is nothing to sneeze at. And even Stacy King has discussed how Billy D has misused the kid since he's been here.

Again you are ignoring the bigger point. Let’s just agree that Billy-D is misusing him. Fine. A truly good player would still show his skills in flashes during games. His are few and far between. As for the 3 pt percentage, he is only putting up 3.3 shots per game. So he only takes them when he is open and comfortable. Again - to be clear - I want badly for him to succeed. He just hasn’t so far and it’s on him to prove otherwise. It’s nobody else’s fault.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:49 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Excuses. Plain and simple. A stud would show it regardless, whether it's spurts in games, in practice (where every teammate would know and talk about it) or at least in training camp. It's also silly to think that the head coach wouldn't recognize his skills or would purposely hide them. PAW just doesn't have that dog in him.
What basketball have you been watching? His teammates and team announcers have talked about his talent since he entered the league. And the coach does determine how he is going to be used. Or if he is going to be used at all. And if Donovan were doing such a bang-up job of coaching, then why did Vuc meet with him about he's used on 2 separate occasions before resigning? And why did it take Lavine being injured before the offense changed?

And whether the Paw becomes a,star or not is besides the point. He's hardly a bum. Which is what you and quite a few others here were Screaming over the past couple of seasons. He shot over 40% from 3 last season and also was one of the toughest guys in the league to score on. That's hardly spells "bust" does it?

I never said the coach doesn’t determine how a player is used, nor did I say Billy-D is doing a bang-up job. The team has underperformed and that is on him and AK more than anyone. The point is if PAW were showing some great skill in practice I don’t believe for a second that Donavon wouldn’t recognize it or refuse to use it. Given where he was drafted, PAW has been a disappointment. Defense is nice but nobody would use a high pick on that skill alone (maybe if he were 7’+ tall).

The "great skill" that he has been showing has actually been done in games. He is trending towards being a "great" shooter. 40% from 3 is nothing to sneeze at. And even Stacy King has discussed how Billy D has misused the kid since he's been here.

Again you are ignoring the bigger point. Let’s just agree that Billy-D is misusing him. Fine. A truly good player would still show his skills in flashes during games. His are few and far between. As for the 3 pt percentage, he is only putting up 3.3 shots per game. So he only takes them when he is open and comfortable. Again - to be clear - I want badly for him to succeed. He just hasn’t so far and it’s on him to prove otherwise. It’s nobody else’s fault.

It is on the coach to run plays for him though and tell guys to get him the ball. Which they never did til recently. Very few people have ever questioned the kid's talent so it has little to do with "showing" something. He has. Unfortunately he plays for a coach who decided early on to ride guys that were more interested in playing for their next contract than they were in playing to win.
Last 8 games he has average 15 per game and about 5-6 boards per game, while shooting over 50% and playing good defense. He is far from a bust. Which is what MANY here were yelling over the past couple of years.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

It is on the coach to run plays for him though and tell guys to get him the ball. Which they never did til recently. Very few people have ever questioned the kid's talent so it has little to do with "showing" something. He has. Unfortunately he plays for a coach who decided early on to ride guys that were more interested in playing for their next contract than they were in playing to win.
Last 8 games he has average 15 per game and about 5-6 boards per game, while shooting over 50% and playing good defense. He is far from a bust. Which is what MANY here were yelling over the past couple of years.

If that’s all he does he’s a bust when his draft position is considered. And to be clear, you are citing his last 8 games. You would be all over Caller Bob if he did that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:05 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
If that’s all he does he’s a bust when his draft position is considered. And to be clear, you are citing his last 8 games. You would be all over Caller Bob if he did that.

Those are not bust stats. And his draft position is immaterial if the coach has never used him as a #4 pick is supposed to be used. He's never been "featured" as a player. Which given his talent and skill level, he should. Donovan allowed Lavine and Derozan to do whatever they wanted (including freezing the kid out) at the expense of the team. That isn't on the Paw. That's on Donovan. As the coach he should have held them accountable for being selfish players. He never has. And now we see the results.

As far as Caller Bob goes, he gets bashed because he doesn't watch games and merely hunts stats all the time .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:19 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Nardi wrote:
IkeSouth wrote:
This the the longest stretch by far that we have seen PAW play to his potential.

14 and 5 over the last 10? I mean, it's better. Maybe even good. But his potential is is supposed to be all star. I'm glad he's only 22.

I agree. In order to be All Star level the numbers have to improve. However he's hardly a "bust". Which is what MANY around here (including you) were proclaiming around thus time last year.

It's possible I proclaimed him a bust but I doubt it. Highly critical of his lack of aggressiveness? Most assuredly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 606 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21