It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:13 am 
1000 CLUB

I guess this answers why the Bulls can't make a trade with anybody - they refuse to pay the luxery tax (which I can understand), but refuse to offer up anybody in a trade off of this underachieving team.

"We negotiated as hard as we could for quality players and (the Bulls) refused to give up anybody in their core group. What they offered us were guys who play on the second and third team, so we turned them
down."

The Bulls thought they had a deal a few weeks ago to obtain Gasol in exchange for Andres Nocioni and other pieces, but the Grizzlies insisted the Bulls take another bad contract, most likely Brian Cardinal, in return.
In order to make that deal, or acquire Gasol for expiring contracts, the Bulls' payroll would have risen beyond the luxury-tax threshold next season.

"There is no mystery to it," Heisley said. "I'm not dumb enough to think we got quality for quality for Pau. What we did was try to open up flexibility. We had to reconstruct and start building a team like Portland did and like what Minnesota is trying to do."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
This is from today's Yahoo Sports...

One source with knowledge of the process said the Bulls had made the most credible offer. For Gasol and Memphis’ Hakim Warrick, the Bulls were willing to part with Andres Nocioni, Tyrus Thomas, Joakim Noah, Thabo Sefolosha, possibly Adrian Griffin and draft picks.

The article deals with the horrible trade Memphis ended up making with the Lakers & how the owner now seems to believe they should have asked for more (Duh!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:32 pm 

Not that I care about the Grizz - but they are fucked for a long time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:33 pm 

If that report is true, then the NBA should investigate the Grizzlies. There are at least three players the Bulls were offering that were better than the best thing Memphis got(Kwame Brown).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
**cough**Jerry West**cough**

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
To me, the NBA Finals that start tonight between the Lakers & Celtics isn't just the renewal of a classic rivalry, but it stings to a certain extent because there were certain players such as Pau Gasol & Kevin Garnett the Bulls could've had. Unfortunately, GM John Paxson didn't pull the trigger when they were available. While the whole Kobe Bryant trade rumors seemed to be controlled by Kobe himself, Pax was NOT proactive enough in offering more for Garnett before he went to Boston and Gasol before the Lakers traded Kwame Brown to Memphis before the trade deadline. Would've...Could've...Should've...As for after the Finals, I read an online report at FOXSports.com today in which Ben Gordon could be Portland-bound in a possible sign & trade...I'm not sure what the Bulls could get from them in return if it happened.