It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
According to ChicagoSports.com, the Bulls have settled on former San Antonio Spurs & Phoenix Suns' guard Vinny Del Negro as the team's new head coach. Del Negro has no experience as both an assistant and an NBA head coach, but was Assistant General Manager in Phoenix prior to getting the job. He'll reportedly be introduced as soon as tomorrow at the Berto Center in Deerfield. Quite frankly, when I first read about this name watching "SportsCenter", I didn't quite understand Del Negro, especially given his position out in Phoenix. I'm not sure what an Assistant General Manager does in comparison to an Assistant Coach. The only thing I know for sure is that Del Negro will likely work cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Hut
I predict:

We will look back on Tim Floyd's tenure with fondness compared to what's about to go down. This will be the offseason that ends up costing Pax his job.

Kid Cairo: 2013 March Madness Tournament Winner!

"Cowabunga? Cowa fucking piece of dog shit! This game is diarrhea coming out of my dick!"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:36 pm 

John Paxson won't get fired as Bulls' General Manager, but will tender his resignation after next season if the Del Negro experiment doesn't get immediate results and a ticket back to the NBA Playoffs in his first season. I think Paxson is absolutely furious that Mike D'Antoni & Doug Collins were his choices to replace Scott Skiles, and Jerry Reinsdorf vetoed both before settling on Vinny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:02 pm 

Chicago has been very desirous to have a negro head basketball coach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
good dolphin wrote:
Chicago has been very desirous to have a negro head basketball coach.

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:14 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
ChicagoSports.com wrote:
Del Negro interviewed for the Suns' coaching job that Terry Porter landed on Saturday, but failed to make Kerr's list of four finalists.

:roll: Ugh. He couldn't even make the final four for the team that is actually affilliated with?

But, he impressed the Bulls so much in 3 days to be their choice. Ugh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
ChicagoSports.com wrote:
Del Negro interviewed for the Suns' coaching job that Terry Porter landed on Saturday, but failed to make Kerr's list of four finalists.

:roll: Ugh. He couldn't even make the final four for the team that is actually affilliated with?

Yeah, but on the plus side, Kerr appears to be a bigger idiot than Pax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

I also read that Kerr absolutely wanted someone with head coaching experience, so del Negro couldn't qualify by that criteria.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:10 pm 

Reinsdorf does the same thing with the Sox, Nas. He hates to pay out money, but realizes that he must for on field talent. He refuses to do it for management.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Tall Midget wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
ChicagoSports.com wrote:

Yeah, but on the plus side, Kerr appears to be a bigger idiot than Pax.

How so? Because of the Shaq trade or the Porter hiring? I'd agree with the latter, not necessarily the former.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:35 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
A poll from the Bright One...

Quote:
Is Vinny Del Negro the best choice for the Bulls?

Yes 14% 182 votes
No 85% 1061 votes

Total Votes: 1243

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:38 pm 

Bad hire. Jerry needs to sell, Paxson needs to move on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:57 pm 

I am willing to give Del Negro a shot here.

I would rather have him than Casey.

Person would not have excited me. Really none of the other candidates excited me.

So why not give this guy a shot? He worked with D'Antoni, maybe he can utilize our young guys and make a difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
It doesn't matter who the coach is, we have the #1 pick! :cheers: Am I right, guys... guys... [crickets chirping]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:40 pm 

RFDC wrote:

He worked with D'Antoni, maybe he can utilize our young guys and make a difference.

From an office, not on the bench. I can't believe they hired a guy who hasn't even been an assistant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:44 pm 

i get what you are saying, but what guy left out there would you consider to be really better?

I don't see anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:50 pm 

RFDC wrote:
i get what you are saying, but what guy left out there would you consider to be really better?

I don't see anyone.

Once you didn't get Collins I don't see why not wait until Thibedeau(sp). If that fails then get Del Negro, he was going nowhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:23 pm 

This franchise, and it's ownership, is a living joke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
So let me get this straight...we've had six months to find a head coach and the best we can do is hire Vinnie Del Negro? That's complete garbage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:31 pm 

Just to clarify something, 670 "The SCORE" & the Sun-Times' Brian Hanley is now reporting that a press conference to introduce Vinny Del Negro as the Bulls' new head coach will be introduced at a press conference Wednesday. While terms have not been released, I bet Vinny's first coaching contract will be about a fraction of what Scott Skiles was going to make here in Chicago, even before he took the job in Milwaukee. I won't be shocked if Del Negro's first contract is a bargain well under $2 million a season, even lower than Terry Porter's new deal in Phoenix. Deep down, while Jerry Reinsdorf has taken a P.R. beating on sports talk radio, the owner is less than thrilled about paying his former head coach $4 million, let alone coaching a team within his own division! I really think Reinsdorf does NOT want to take a financial bath if the Del Negro experiment bellyflops. I also think that even if Del Negro's first season lands the Bulls back in the NBA Playoffs, GM John Paxson might not be around beyond next year if this power struggle with Reinsdorf prevents from making the necessary moves to put this 33 win season in the rearview mirror.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:12 pm 

Nas wrote:
Why is Mac So Angry? wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I don't see anyone.

Once you didn't get Collins I don't see why not wait until Thibedeau(sp). If that fails then get Del Negro, he was going nowhere.

I agree. Waiting another week wouldn't hurt anything. Will Del Negro back out? Who would give a shit if he did. My guess is Thibodeau is going to the Pistons.

Michael Curry signed for three years with the Pistons. Incredibly, I dont think there are any vacancies left. Im very shocked that Thibodeau didnt get a chance with anyone. I've been wanting them to get him since the day Boylan got fired.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:15 pm 
1000 CLUB

There must have been a shitload of teams beating down del Negro's door :lol: . I can't believe Paxson wouldn't wait a week to interview some assistants from the Lakers and Celtics. Thibodeaux would have been an interesting choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:15 pm 

Nas wrote:
When did that happen? This is what happens when I'm not really keeping up with sports.

Quote:
DETROIT -- Michael Curry will be the Detroit Pistons' head coach next season after only one year as an assistant.

A former teammate is not surprised.

Curry is set to be introduced as Detroit's new coach at a news conference Tuesday, Pistons president of basketball operations Joe Dumars told The Associated Press.

ESPN's Stephen A. Smith first reported Curry's pending hire.

Dallas Mavericks guard Jerry Stackhouse, who played with Curry in Detroit, said Curry was like a player-coach during his career on the court.

"It was just a matter of time," Stackhouse said in a telephone interview with the AP on Monday. "Everybody who knew Michael from his playing days knew this is where he would end up.

"He's going to do great for Detroit because he already has great rapport with those players, who will give him a different kind of respect because he played in the league."

Curry was an assistant last season in Detroit under Flip Saunders, who was fired last week.

The Pistons and Curry agreed on a three-year deal worth $2.5 million a season. The team holds an option for a fourth season.

Quote:
PHOENIX -- It didn't take Terry Porter long to understand the expectations facing him as he takes over the Phoenix Suns.

One of the first questions at Porter's introductory news conference on Monday came from Phil Gordon, a Suns fan who also happens to be the mayor of Phoenix.

"Coach, are we going to have a world champion team this year?" Gordon asked.

As many in the US Airways Center practice court laughed, general manager Steve Kerr turned to Porter and said, "The chair's hot already, isn't it?"

Gordon's question has dogged the Suns throughout their 40-year history. Though they have been among the NBA's most successful franchises -- the Suns' .558 winning percentage ranks fourth in the league -- the Suns have not won a title.

After failing to bring home a trophy with Mike D'Antoni's up-tempo style, the Suns hope the 45-year-old Porter will provide a new approach, combining a fastbreak offense with a stronger emphasis on defense.

After reaching the Western Conference finals in 2005 and 2006, Phoenix was eliminated in the second round in 2007 and made a first-round exit this spring. But Porter embraced the high expectations.

"I think it is a championship-caliber team," said Porter, who reportedly agreed to a three-year contract worth about $7 million. "I think they have some pieces in place that have obviously competed at that level over the last four years."

Quote:
The Chicago Bulls' coaching saga appears to be over.

Phoenix Suns assistant general manager Vinny Del Negro was offered the position and accepted on Monday, multiple sources told ESPN.com's Ric Bucher.

Terms of the deal were not immediately available.

The Chicago Tribune and The Associated Press first reported that the hiring was imminent.

Del Negro has no previous coaching experience, but the Tribune reports that a news conference to officially announce the deal is expected this week.

I think thats the whole lot of em.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:24 pm 

Nas wrote:
So this happened today? I guess I didn't miss a lot. I knew Porter got hired.

Yeah. Curry was thought to sign, but didnt till today. Im hoping that since Negro hasnt signed yet it could end up like the Collins situation and fall through, though I doubt it. I guess the silver lining is they didnt hire Casey or Avery.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

I'd take Avery over del Negro...

I think I'd rather go back to the Bill Cartwright era.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:19 am 

This is false advertising. I just found out del Negro isn't even a negro. What a bunch of bullshit. Shameless, trying to take advantage of affirmative action like that. :x

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:21 am 

MattInTheCrown wrote:
This is false advertising. I just found out del Negro isn't even a negro. What a bunch of bullshit. Shameless, trying to take advantage of affirmative action like that. :x

I felt the same type of letdown during Reggie White's introductory press conference with the Packers.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:46 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
this is awful. i love how phoenix didn't want him as head coach and yet we have to get this guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:47 am 

Woodridge Ryan wrote:
this is awful. i love how phoenix didn't want him as head coach and yet we have to get this guy.

Well to be fair they hired Terry Porter. Im not overly impressed with their coaching search either.

Im surprised noone waited for Thibodeau. He's been a hot name since the All Star break.

To rock my soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:52 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
Im surprised noone waited for Thibodeau. He's been a hot name since the All Star break.

Completely agree. How the hell do they not wait another week after waiting months to get this figured out by interviewing probably the most qualified candidate left?