It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ben Gordon in Europe?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
So far, Bulls fans, it seems to be a quiet offseason following the hiring of new head coach Vinny Del Negro, the drafting of Derrick Rose with the #1 overall pick, and what appears to be not much progress regarding the future of Luol Deng in a Bulls' uniform beyond next season. Now, in the wake of Josh Childress signing a three year deal to play basketball overseas in Europe, ESPN Radio is reporting today that restricted free agent Ben Gordon is said to be pondering playing basketball himself on the other side of the Atlantic. From everything that I have heard, the sluggish U.S. economy is one of the reasons why NBA players are considering playing basketball in Europe. That may explain why Josh just left the Atlanta Hawks for a three year deal, I believe, in Greece. Simply put, is Gordon pondering playing ball in Europe next season nothing more than a negotiating ploy or is #7 that serious about leaving Chicago?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Shark, you're a goofy bastard. Why are your posts constructed in such a strange manner?

It's the exchange rate, stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:51 pm 

I'm just trying to be a fan of reason. Anyway, I first heard the Josh Childress story about him going to Europe last week, and that our economy is so bad, that several other NBA players have actually considered playing basketball next year on the other side of the Atlantic. As for Gordon & Luol Deng, there are NO OFFERS for either of the Bulls' restricted free agents, according to ESPN Radio 1000's Carmen DeFalco, and I first learned about #7 possibly considered playing overseas in a report late this afternoon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

SHARK wrote:
I'm just trying to be a fan of reason. Anyway, I first heard the Josh Childress story about him going to Europe last week, and that our economy is so bad, that several other NBA players have actually considered playing basketball next year on the other side of the Atlantic. As for Gordon & Luol Deng, there are NO OFFERS for either of the Bulls' restricted free agents, according to ESPN Radio 1000's Carmen DeFalco, and I first learned about #7 possibly considered playing overseas in a report late this afternoon.

Our economy is struggling right now, but actually still growing despite being "so bad". Anyways, it's not like Gordon or Deng are being offered peanuts by the Bulls. Both sides just have a disagreement over value.

Perspective, my friend, perspective.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:46 pm 

For the record, Josh Childress signed a 3 year, $20 million deal to play basketball in Greece and leave the Atlanta Hawks in the rearview mirror. As for Gordon, he doesn't necessarily want to play ball in Europe, and clarified his stance yesterday at the Bulls/Sox Training Academy in Lisle where he was holding court at a kids' basketball camp. He wants to stay right here in the U.S., and preferably with the Bulls. I think this talk about Europe is nothing more than a negotiating ploy. Whether or not #7 stays with the Bulls is a different matter entirely.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

SHARK wrote:
For the record, Josh Childress signed a 3 year, $20 million deal to play basketball in Greece and leave the Atlanta Hawks in the rearview mirror. As for Gordon, he doesn't necessarily want to play ball in Europe, and clarified his stance yesterday at the Bulls/Sox Training Academy in Lisle where he was holding court at a kids' basketball camp. He wants to stay right here in the U.S., and preferably with the Bulls. I think this talk about Europe is nothing more than a negotiating ploy. Whether or not #7 stays with the Bulls is a different matter entirely.

He'll probably end up signing a 1 year deal with the Bulls since they appear to be so far apart on money.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:54 pm 

BD wrote:
SHARK wrote:

He'll probably end up signing a 1 year deal with the Bulls since they appear to be so far apart on money.
BD, that's what it appears to be for both Gordon & Luol Deng. I think the two sides are far apart to a point where Uncle Jerry does NOT want to pay the luxury tax. That explains why the Lakers got Pau Gasol from Memphis for next to nothing! Memphis Grizzlies team president Michael Heisley ratted on Reinsdorf for not making the Gasol deal because of the luxury tax...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Baracco's
SHARK wrote:
Josh Childress signed a 3 year, $20 million deal to play basketball in Greece

This is absolutely insane. I would be shoked if someone shows me an economic justification of this contract. When washed up MLB stars go to make a buck in Japanese leagues, I see a method behind madness. Japan has a solid baseball fan base crazy about MLB. Are there hoops fans in Greece? I imagine this is a vanity move by the ownership to sign an american player akin to that of LA soccer club signing Bekham.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:07 pm 

My Coach Vinny wrote:
SHARK wrote:
Josh Childress signed a 3 year, $20 million deal to play basketball in Greece

This is absolutely insane. I would be shoked if someone shows me an economic justification of this contract. When washed up MLB stars go to make a buck in Japanese leagues, I see a method behind madness. Japan has a solid baseball fan base crazy about MLB. Are there hoops fans in Greece? I imagine this is a vanity move by the ownership to sign an american player akin to that of LA soccer club signing Bekham.
Vinny, the NBA has become a global league...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Baracco's
SHARK wrote:

You are missing the point. What I am curious to know is whether the club that signed him generates an operating profit that would justify the terms of the deal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:25 pm 

My Coach Vinny wrote:
SHARK wrote:

You are missing the point. What I am curious to know is whether the club that signed him generates an operating profit that would justify the terms of the deal.
I'm not 100% sure to be honest. Ben said something at the his basketball camp yesterday about the "Euro being strong". I'm no economist by any means...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:14 pm 
1000 CLUB

SHARK wrote:
My Coach Vinny wrote:
SHARK wrote:

I'm not 100% sure to be honest. Ben said something at the his basketball camp yesterday about the "Euro being strong". I'm no economist by any means...

Ben is trying to sound as if he has other options besides the Bulls. Unless he's interested in playing overseas, he'll sign a 1 year deal because, in Gordon's case, there appears to be a sizable gap in his perceived value.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:42 pm 

BD wrote:
Ben is trying to sound as if he has other options besides the Bulls. Unless he's interested in playing overseas, he'll sign a 1 year deal because, in Gordon's case, there appears to be a sizable gap in his perceived value.

Chris Broussard said today on SportsCenter that he's heard that Gordon would now be willing to take the $50M. I have to believe that's off the table.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Since this thread was bumped, I've also seen where Josh Childress isn't happy in Greece and since the Hawks still own his rights as a restricted free-agent, it's possible he could be making a stateside return in time for a playoff push...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Bagels wrote:
Since this thread was bumped, I've also seen where Josh Childress isn't happy in Greece and since the Hawks still own his rights as a restricted free-agent, it's possible he could be making a stateside return in time for a playoff push...

Sounds like some wishful thinking. But that would be kind of cool...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:56 pm 

Krazy Ivan wrote:
Bagels wrote:

Sounds like some wishful thinking. But that would be kind of cool...

Yeah, of course it's wishful thinking. Especially since he's in the US to rehab an injury that will keep him out for some time. Still, I could see it. I read some articles about his move there, and he said it's absolutely insane how serious people take their sports over there- to extremes like he he's worried about being seen out in public after a loss. Plus he was never close to being a superstar or even a star- just a very solid/slightly above average role player but with his big salary there he is expected to be a lot more than he is.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:04 pm 

Josh Childress' best dunk?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNZV3aGW ... re=related

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:22 pm 

One has to think that Ben has the most market value for GM John Paxson to trade before the February 19th NBA trade deadline. After all, he's an unrestricted free agent agent this summer...I've got to think that teams around the NBA would rather be more interested in someone who's actually playing in Gordon compared to someone in Larry Hughes who isn't, and has voiced his displeasure to a point where the rumored deal to New Jersey may fall through instead.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

SHARK wrote:
One has to think that Ben has the most market value for GM John Paxson to trade before the February 19th NBA trade deadline. After all, he's an unrestricted free agent agent this summer...I've got to think that teams around the NBA would rather be more interested in someone who's actually playing in Gordon compared to someone in Larry Hughes who isn't, and has voiced his displeasure to a point where the rumored deal to New Jersey may fall through instead.

Gordon would have to agree to it since he would lose his Bird Rights.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Benny's on 26th in Berwyn
Quote:
Gordon would have to agree to it since he would lose his Bird Rights

..with all the SHITTY advice (an/or decision-making) that this guy has screwed himself with so far, I'd have to believe that he'd agree to absolutely anything

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

hackwilson's ribbies wrote:
Quote:
Gordon would have to agree to it since he would lose his Bird Rights

..with all the SHITTY advice (an/or decision-making) that this guy has screwed himself with so far, I'd have to believe that he'd agree to absolutely anything

Not if he has to "settle" for a deal that makes half of what he wants.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Benny's on 26th in Berwyn
I dunno, he's settled for losing millions so far...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:09 pm 

Quote:
F Marvin Williams and former Atlanta Hawks teammate Josh Childress remain the closest of friends despite all the thousands of miles that separate them. And while they've kept in regular contact via email and text, they'd spoken on the phone only a couple times since Childress left for Greece. That's how Williams knew something was going on when he missed a call from Childress before the Hawks' knocked off Chicago Tuesday night at United Center. "I knew something had to be up if he was calling," Williams. That something was breaking news from much closer to home than Williams imagined. Childress had sports hernia surgery Tuesday in Philadelphia and will be out for six to eight weeks, providing an early return stateside, even if it is just for a month or so. "I'll be doing rehab in Los Angeles for about a month," Childress said via text Tuesday afternoon. "It was a small tear in my lower abdomen. But I'm good." He joins a growing list of injured Hawks, former and present. Williams (concussion) and Al Horford (knee) are day-to-day, while reserve guard Acie Law IV is out seven-to-10 days with a right quadriceps contusion."It was good to hear from Chil," Williams said, "but I wish the news was better. But he said it's not something major, so I'm sure he'll be fine." Whether or not the Hawks hear from Childress before the playoffs remains one of the more intriguing potential story lines of this season. While he remains under contract with Greek power Olympiacos, there will be rampant speculation with him in the states rehabbing that he's a candidate to rejoin the Hawks in time for a playoff run. After all, the Hawks retain his rights as a restricted free agent. And with other defectors for Europe already back in the NBA fold, Childress could make a similar jump were things to get more complicated than they are right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

hackwilson's ribbies wrote:
I dunno, he's settled for losing millions so far...

That's only for 1 year though - this year, he's making around 6 million.

If he were to be traded, and loses his Bird Right's, he'd likely have to settle for a mid-level deal. With the Bulls (or with a sign and trade this off-season), he can still make $10 million plus on a long-term deal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Nas wrote:
I got a friend that is playing over in Germany and he loves it. I guess if you are a star in one of those leagues it might be different.

Tywon Triplett?

Damion Dantzler?

Michael Hermon?

(I'm tryna think about city prep stars from the mid to late 90's...)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:53 pm 

Ronnie Fields?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Bagels wrote:
Ronnie Fields?

nah I dont think he's ever did the overseas thing...he was always a CBA lifer...

funny story about Ronnie Fields (maybe this should go in the brush with fame section)

He played for the Rockford Lightning circa 1999, and at the time I was living up there with my pops and going to school and working at Walmart. Well one day, Fields came in and I noticed who he was right away and started having small talk, whatever.

Anyway, as I leave to go out on cart patrol, his car pulls up (a Chrysler LHS) and he stops to roll the window down and says "Hey you know that light skinned chick thats the cashier? Give her my room number, I'm at this hotel over here and tell her to call me"...and he gives me a card.

The light skinned chick was not interested and threw the card away.