It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rose vs. Beasley
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:12 pm 

Beasley will put up better numbers, and narrowly beat out Rose for rookie of the year. Wade and Beasley will be a deadly combination with Wade finishing in the top 3 in MVP voting.

However, it will become apparent through the season that the future is brighter for Rose. Beasley shows signs that he is going to be an off the court distraction as he has through his whole career, including the rookie symposium. He will also show that he is a classic tweener. He will have trouble defending classic small forwards or power forwards. He'll be a very good player that can be taken advantage of by smart coaches and players for the flaws he will have at either small or power forward.

It will be interesting to see what happens, but I don't see how he can possibly matchup with players like Tim Duncan or even Elton Brand. I think he's going to have to be a small forward. It will be interesting to see how well he can defend on the perimeter. I think he'll be able to score with just about anyone. I could see him developing into a Carmelo Anthony-like player, who is great, but won't really lead your team anywhere.

Rose will take time to figure out the NBA game and to get chemistry with his teammates. You will see signs of Tyrus Thomas having a pulse simply because Rose is great at distributing the ball. Rose will struggle with his fg %, as he may for his whole career, but he's quick enough to get better shooters open shots. Comparisons between him and Chris Paul will be made, but it will be too early to give him that kind of potential. I will say that I think Paul was no better than Rose at the time he was drafted.

I predict the Bulls make a few moves during the season, moving some of the players that were good but not great besides Deng in an effort to build for the future and clear salary cap space for some of the great free agents that will be available in the next couple of years. They will realize that a team can in fact be built around Rose, and will plan accordingly.

Unfortunately, I could see OJ Mayo being the best player in this class in the long run, but he's also got the best chance to be a bust. I'll take my chances with Rose.

Post subject: Re: Rose vs. Beasley
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I understand why Beasley might be great...I just don't see it happening beyond a good rookie year. As long as Wade is alongside, he will look better than he is. As for Mayo, fuggetaboutit...I don't think he's going to have an NBA body...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
I think the stats between these two will be very similar, but I believe that the rookie who gets his team to the playoffs might win the "Rookie of the Year" honors. Right now, I have to lean towards Derrick Rose by a slight margin. It'll be one of the individual stories to watch all season, and Bulls' fans are in for a real treat watching one of the most confident rookies I've seen in a long time.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:26 pm 

SHARK wrote:
I think the stats between these two will be very similar, but I believe that the rookie who gets his team to the playoffs might win the "Rookie of the Year" honors. Right now, I have to lean towards Derrick Rose by a slight margin. It'll be one of the individual stories to watch all season, and Bulls' fans are in for a real treat watching one of the most confident rookies I've seen in a long time.

What? If the edge goes to the rookie who makes the playoffs, then Beasley has it locked up. Wade is finally healthy. I'll be shocked if Miami isn't a top 4 team in the Eastern conference.

The Bulls may make the playoffs. They Heat will make the playoffs by a wide margin unless Wade gets knocked out early.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:33 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
SHARK wrote:

What? If the edge goes to the rookie who makes the playoffs, then Beasley has it locked up. Wade is finally healthy. I'll be shocked if Miami isn't a top 4 team in the Eastern conference.

The Bulls may make the playoffs. They Heat will make the playoffs by a wide margin unless Wade gets knocked out early.

Rick, I'm not so sure the Heat are a Top 4 team. How quickly we forget! The Celtics, Pistons, Raptors, Cavaliers & Magic are the Top 5 teams in the East, and I think the Bulls & Heat are among the teams fighting for one of the last playoff spots in the conference. Even if the Bulls & Heat qualify for the postseason, that's where I draw the line. I don't think either team would last beyond Round 1.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:15 pm 

:lol: :lol: I thought the topic looked familiar!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:19 pm 

Nas wrote:

Your post was a summer league discussion. This is the one for regular season discussion. :)

Also, this post will be a "no spin zone". Beasley is going to become your new Grossman this year when he puts up good numbers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

5 assists and 6 turnovers for Rose. Welcome to the NBA rook.

The name's Rockmore. Beef Rockmore

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:18 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Beef Rockmore wrote:
5 assists and 6 turnovers for Rose. Welcome to the NBA rook.

So?

It was the first pre-season game. I didn't see the entire game but a lot of it looked like just not being in sync with each other. That's what the pre-season is for, to work through that. I'm not terribly concerned about the turnovers. I liked what I saw. He was able to finish at the rim a couple times and setup a few wide open shots.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:40 am 

Is it too early to revisit this discussion?

So far, Rose seems to have been the better choice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:46 am 

It is not even close IMO.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:03 am 

I haven't seen so much as one second of Beasley in meaningful action, but I'm quite content with the selection of Derrick Rose. 8)

Oh, and Rick: Boiler up, motherfucker.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:09 am 

MattInTheCrown wrote:
Oh, and Rick: Boiler up, motherfucker.

You got that right! An IU win would make this season slightly more bearable.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:14 pm 

Mayo has been the best rookie this side of Oden, and will be the rookie from this draft class who will have the most impact.

It was I who said to trade down and take Mayo, alot of holes could have been filled.

This team, as it stands wont make the playoffs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:18 pm 

I haven't had much of a chance to see Michael Beasley and the Miami Heat play, let alone O.J. Mayo, but Derrick Rose has been very consistent so far with the Bulls, and has scored in double digits in every game. He was one assist shy of a double-double last night in a losing effort vs. Kobe & the Lakers...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:16 pm 

Mayo is on a team with no other scoring options. His 20PPG number is slightly inflated due to that. Rose isn't too shabby with his fillingthe stat sheet numbers of 19/6 dimes and 5 board a game. He needs to work on his turnovers. oden doesn't look like superman yet.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:42 pm 

thepoofer wrote:
Mayo has been the best rookie this side of Oden, and will be the rookie from this draft class who will have the most impact.

It was I who said to trade down and take Mayo, alot of holes could have been filled.

This team, as it stands wont make the playoffs

if you think Mayo is better than Rose, Terry Boers has a thought for you:

you are basketball _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
(fill in the blank)
they won't make the playoffs, but the Bulls picked the right guy at #1.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:02 pm 

Nas wrote:
Rose is 10X's better than he was his last game in college.

It's not that he's 10X's better. It's that his game was better suited to succeed in the NBA than college. Just like Tyler Hansbrough, who will probably go down as a top 5 all time college player if North Carolina wins the title, is going to be much less effective in the NBA.

I will say though, he has exceeded even my high expectations for him. He may be a top 15 NBA player by the end of the season.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:13 pm 

It's funny, watching the Bulls, how this kid is clearly their best player. I'll make an effort to watch every game, and Rose is the only reason.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:16 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Nas wrote:
Rose is 10X's better than he was his last game in college.

It's not that he's 10X's better. It's that his game was better suited to succeed in the NBA than college. Just like Tyler Hansbrough, who will probably go down as a top 5 all time college player if North Carolina wins the title, is going to be much less effective in the NBA.

I will say though, he has exceeded even my high expectations for him. He may be a top 15 NBA player by the end of the season.

the team that drafts him (Hansbrough) in the first round is also:
NBA _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:17 pm 

Nas wrote:
It's never too early. So far it looks like I was off by a couple years. Rose is 10X's better than he was his last game in college. He is just unbelievable and he is going to get even better. It seems like he gets better every game. I'm thrilled to be completely wrong about him.

Well, I'm glad you're happy. You're the bastage that gave me cold feet over a Rose selection in the weeks leading up to the draft and the months following it. :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:31 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Just like Tyler Hansbrough, who will probably go down as a top 5 all time college player if North Carolina wins the title, is going to be much less effective in the NBA.

I agree with Bernsie's theory that white guys have no business being drafted in the first round. If someone takes Hansbrough with their first pick, they will be extremely sorry. If you go back through the past ten drafts, can anyone name a non-foreign-white first rounder that was any good? I cant find any.

The thing that sucks about Hansbrough coming back to UNC this year, is the daily ass-licking I have to hear about him from ESPN, and CBS sports. Last year it was unbearable, it is sure to be worse this year. Jay Bilas needs to tone down the man-crush just a bit.

Last edited by Douchebag on Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I'm just happy to see Nas admitting that he's wrong about something. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:48 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
I agree with Bernsie's theory that white guys have no business being drafted in the first round. If someone takes Hansbrough with their first pick, they will be extremely sorry. If you go back through the past ten drafts, can anyone name a non-foreign-white first rounder that was any good? I cant find any.

I'd take Chris Kaman right now.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:51 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Isnt he German?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:52 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

eh....Clips have never gone anywhere with him...besides, he's from Planet Zorb...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:53 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Isnt he German?

He's from Michigan, but because he has German ancestry he played for the German national team after getting citizenship there specifically to play for them.

I agree with your point though as I'm pretty sure he's the only one I would want on my team.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:55 pm 

City of Fools wrote:
eh....Clips have never gone anywhere with him...besides, he's from Planet Zorb...

Since when did we start holding players accountable for the Clippers not going anywhere?

For 20 years the Clippers have gone nowhere.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:55 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Isnt he German?

He's from Michigan, but because he has German ancestry he played for the German national team after getting citizenship there specifically to play for them.

I agree with your point though as I'm pretty sure he's the only one I would want on my team.

he's a guy that has been better in the pros than in college. Coming out of Central, I thought he'd go nowhere. He's made himself into a much better player from the one that destroyed NIU on a regular basis...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:56 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Yeah, I know that. He wasnt good enough to make the U.S. team so he jumped ship. It's not really my point though about drafting white guys. Ive heard Bernsie mention it a number of times, and I just happen to agree with him.