It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:57 pm 

What is the salary cap position of the Bulls?

For instance, in 2010 when Lebron/Wade/Bosh/Melo are available how much money will we have to compete?
What about this off-season without making any moves?

When is Larry Hughes in the last year of his contract and therefore valuable as an "expiring contract"?

Basically, what position are the Bulls in to be a player in free agency next year or the year after?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 1:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
What is the salary cap position of the Bulls?

For instance, in 2010 when Lebron/Wade/Bosh/Melo are available how much money will we have to compete?
What about this off-season without making any moves?

When is Larry Hughes in the last year of his contract and therefore valuable as an "expiring contract"?

Basically, what position are the Bulls in to be a player in free agency next year or the year after?

Larry Hughes' contract expires in 2010 so that will come off the books.

I believe they can compete for these guys if they renouce the rights to Noah, Sefolosha and Thomas as well before that off-season kicks off - I believe each of these guys are in option years on their rookie contracts.

I think they need to make another move or two like getting rid of Nocioni's contract, but we should know the direction they take by the types of moves that they make (or don't make) by the trading deadline.

They can put themselves into position though by making some moves, it's just a matter of whether Paxson wants to wait that long and/or he decides to strike earlier (for example, make a move for Carlos Boozer, who has most likely worn out his welcome with Utah).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:42 pm 

So wouldn't Larry Hughes' expiring contract be incredibly valuable next year since it gives you more money to spend in the Lebron lottery?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
So wouldn't Larry Hughes' expiring contract be incredibly valuable next year since it gives you more money to spend in the Lebron lottery?

It could be if the Bulls suddenly decide that they won't be able to land any of the guys they want, and instead were to trade an expiring contract (like Hughes) for a proven player who is still under contract from a team that wants to enter the hunt.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nas wrote:
This will likely have to be a sign and trade deal. It's unlikely that the Cavs or another team would try to work out a sign and trade if one of the studs decide they want to leave.

I personally believe LeBron will stay in Cleveland, but I wouldn't bet my house on it. If he were to leave for NY, while I wouldn't be surprised if he took the NY max offer, he would make more in a sign and trade deal so I don't think that could be ruled out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:47 am 

Will they be bringing Benny The Bull to the airport to greet these guys?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:34 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
thepoofer wrote:
Will they be bringing Benny The Bull to the airport to greet these guys?

I fear that he will run into some birds, lose both engines, and be forced to crash land in the Chicago River.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:50 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
BD wrote:
Nas wrote:
This will likely have to be a sign and trade deal. It's unlikely that the Cavs or another team would try to work out a sign and trade if one of the studs decide they want to leave.

I personally believe LeBron will stay in Cleveland

Jerry Angelo wrote:
no...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:11 am 

Drew Gooden and Ben Gordon have the big deals coming off the books this year. I think they're both in the $7M range. If they decide that they are going to try and lure one of the big dogs in 2010, they should trade Gooden's expiring deal for a bad contract that expires in 2010. Then they would have about $19M coming off the books in 2010 (with Hughes) which would be enough to sign somebody to a max deal. I would target Bosh, because they're not gonna get Lebron, Wade will probably stay in Miami, and I'm just not a big Melo fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
I think they should try and make a play for Bosh right now. I don't think it would take half the team to get it done.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

Bagels wrote:
I think they should try and make a play for Bosh right now. I don't think it would take half the team to get it done.

Sam Smith mentioned that possibility, but didn't think he was available right now.

If he was available, they can have anybody on the roster not named Derrick Rose.