It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:06 pm 
1000 CLUB

SHARK wrote:
If the trade becomes a reality, the Bulls won't be any closer to a playoff spot in the pisspoor Eastern Conference, and I'm not so sure there's any salary cap relief. The Bulls will have one less guard on their uneven roster. The potential deal now takes on added importance, albeit short term with Drew Gooden's nagging ankle & groin injury that kept him in street clothes last night vs. Atlanta, and Tyrus Thomas still inconsistent at best at power forward. If the deal becomes a reality, can Pax pull the trigger on a Kirk Hinrich deal next?

Trading Larry Hughes wouldn't the answer to that problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
This isn't about getting closer to a play-off spot (this year anyway)...it's about getting rid of a player who would almost certainly become a malcontent as the season wears on. Hughes has no trade value given his salary, so it's an addition by subtraction move ala Ben Wallace. My sense is Del Negro is settling on an 8-9 man rotation which will include Noah & Thomas through the end of the season to see where they stand. Paxson will fill the end of the bench with players who will be happy to collect a pay-check while playing limited minutes. That means at least one more player goes by the deadline.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
This isn't about getting closer to a play-off spot (this year anyway)...it's about getting rid of a player who would almost certainly become a malcontent as the season wears on. Hughes has no trade value given his salary, so it's an addition by subtraction move ala Ben Wallace. My sense is Del Negro is settling on an 8-9 man rotation which will include Noah & Thomas through the end of the season to see where they stand. Paxson will fill the end of the bench with players who will be happy to collect a pay-check while playing limited minutes. That means at least one more player goes by the deadline.

Right, that's my feelings on it as well. Skill wise and salary wise, Hughes & Simmons might be a wash, but if Hughes continues to rack up DNP-CD's, he's going to cause unnecessary distractions (as if he hasn't already). I think you're correct in that Simmons would probably have no issue playing 12 minutes a game during mop up duty as long as he's cashing a check. I think one has to be extra cautious with someone young and impressionable like Rose being the center of your franchise, you don't need any clubhouse cancers steering him in the wrong direction.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I just thought about it....don't we already have a Simmons on the team that's in the same mold?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
The mold of not playing?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
spmack wrote:
I just thought about it....don't we already have a Simmons on the team that's in the same mold?

Yeah, the Bulls already have a Simmons on the roster, the rarely played Cedric Simmons... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:33 pm 

SHARK wrote:
spmack wrote:

Yeah, the Bulls already have a Simmons on the roster, the rarely played Cedric Simmons... :lol:

Who does he look like?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:36 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
SHARK wrote:
spmack wrote:

Who does he look like?

He rarely plays...Can't help you with that one. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:18 pm 

The New York Post reports that the recently-discussed trade of Bobby Simmons and Maurice Ager from the Nets to the Bulls will "probably not" happen.

The Nets reportedly have some concerns about Hughes being "surly," in the words of one source, while Simmons is a strong presence in the team's locker room. A trade would help rescue Hughes' fantasy value, but at this point it looks to be far from guaranteed.
Source: New York Post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hughes has played on 5, hopefully soon to be 6 teams in 10 years or so. He complained twice about playing time, by christmas. Has anyone in the history of the NBA ever complained about playing time twice by christmas? If you can cut salary and get rid of him it's a good move regardless of who you can get in return.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Simmons is a good kid, who has shown he can improve. Not sure what has happened in the last few years, but he could resign here for less when the contract is up and be able to fill a role as a shooter. If not he is gone, in the meantime he wont be an asshole

Q
Bobby
McPherson
Hunter
4 NBA Players and Lance Williams

And nothing in the NCAA??????????????? Pat Kennedy Oh my!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:53 pm 

When the Bulls made that deal with the Cavaliers & Sonics, now the Thunder, at the trade deadline last year, I heard Larry Hughes was bitchin' & moanin' about playing with LeBron James upon his arrival in Chicago. Are you kidding me? If GM John Paxson can't pull the trigger on this deal with the Nets or any team for that matter for Hughes, send this S.O.B. home, keep paying him and tell him to go see another malcontent, the Knicks' Stephon Marbury...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
3 if they sign your boy Calvin Brock. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:53 am 

Feeling the need for a small forward better than Bobby Simmons and the urge to break up their backcourt so Vince Carter and Devin Harris stop competing against each other for points, the Nets actively pursued Larry Hughes as reports claimed; Carter would've moved to the frontcourt. However, the key to signing off on such a deal - unmentioned in everything I read - was Jersey's insistence either Tyrus Thomas or Joakim Noah be included.

From what I'm told, Kirk Hinrich is not available, as numerous outlets continually speculate. The Bulls are a better team now that he's back in the mix, a forward observer underlines.

"He is the closest thing to a leader we have. His tough play along with Andres Nocioni brings out the best in the others who are certifiably soft."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:03 pm 

Does this mean more DNP-CDs for Larry Hughes if this deal falls through? :?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:22 pm 

For those hoping to see Larry Hughes' sorry ass out of Chicago and in New Jersey instead, you might be disappointed in what I found here and on newyorkpost.com with NBA columnist Peter Vecsey:
http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumo ... nets-trade