It is currently Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

I read the same thing this morning. The Atlanta Hawks have also promised Sheldon Williams they’d take him at 5. Though the Bulls taking Thomas at 2 makes a lot more sense to me than taking Williams at 5, but what the hell do I know. In the end, I expect Pax to go with Thomas or Roy. LaMarcus is a better fit for their needs, but I think Pax & Skiles find him to be a bit flakey. On top of that, his combine workout was terrible. If he gets by the Bulls, he may slide surprisingly far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:04 pm 

If Jordon likes Roy stay away from him.

I think it will be Thomas but I would prefer Aldridge. I still want Brewer at 16.

If Pax is really smart, he is sending out the Thomas message in the hopes of getting a trade. I would have no problem at all if the traded to the second half of the top 10, took Brewer and then got a project at center like Armstrong or O'Bryant at 16.

If the Bulls somehow swing a second lottery pick in next year's draft Pax will be a genius.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

Well Boers said his Bull "guy" tells him it's a lock they're taking Thomas.

I hope they don't. I see him as the next Stromile Swift.

Let's do it for Johnny!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:08 pm 
1000 CLUB

Getting both Aldridge & Roy would be tough. You'd either have to give up your Knicks pick in '07 or one of your young studs. Not worth it in my opinion. A combination of Aldridge & Brewer is a possibility though, by getting Portland to move up for Morrison. In addition to the #4, the Blazers have the last pick of round 1 and the first pick of round 2. If the Bulls could get the 4 and the 30 for the second pick, you might be in business. Aldridge may very well slip to 4, and you could package #16 & #30 to move up a few spots and likely land Brewer (possibly Carney if Brewer goes ahead of him).

Any combo of Aldridge/Thomas and Brewer/Carney to me is far more valuable than Brandon Roy and Hilton Armstrong (don't think there's any chance of O'Bryant getting by New Orleans).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

I won't be kicking & screaming if they pick Roy. They could be SOL on a GF if they take a big at #2. Carney & Brewer will both be gone by 16 and the options in FA are scarce. Drafting Roy does work better in the big picture of the offseason. Then you can set your sight on guys like Harrington, Gooden, Nene, Pryzbilla, Mohammed, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

Dallas Winston wrote:
Well Boers said his Bull "guy" tells him it's a lock they're taking Thomas.

I hope they don't. I see him as the next Stromile Swift.

Gotta be Hanley or Shuster.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nastradamus wrote:
Everything that I have read has the Raptors taking Andrea Bargnani. That means the Bulls made a promise to Tyrus Thomas. I have faith in Paxson doing the right thing but Thomas is another Tyson Chandler. If you are going to draft a big with the first pick it has to be Aldridge because he can score with his back to the basket as well as facing it. I personally feel they should draft Roy and pick up another big later in the draft. Roy will be the Rookie of the Year.

I think ROY of the year is going to be Roy or Morrison.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nastradamus wrote:
Aldridge seems like he could end up being a Marcus Fizer type player and that scares me. However, if they have to select a big man with their first pick, he would be my guy. Every big is this draft won't be able to contribute a lot for their first couple of years. That is why I would take Roy and then take my chances on developing a guy like Josh Boone or maybe picking up Alexander Johnson and letting Chandler play center. I really feel Roy will be the star of this draft and you shouldn't pass on a player like that to fill a need.

What's interesting about Thomas is that his camp is projecting him to be a SF.....I wonder if the Bulls view him as a freaky/athletic PF however.

I'm with you though - I would take Roy. There are some decent free agent options. With the money the Bulls have, they could land 2 decent PF/C types to go with Chander, and then have the Hinrich/Gordon/Roy guard combo.

IF they do go with Thomas, I really hope Paxson/Skiles make a comittment to the Hinrich/Gordon backcourt though as their future. I really don't want to hear they are looking to sign a mediocre swingman/shooting guard all summer, which will probably happen if they pass on Roy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

Something's not quite right here. I smell a trade. Thomas may have received a promise for the #2 selection, but it's possible the team drafting him there will not be the Bulls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Nastradamus wrote:
Aldridge seems like he could end up being a Marcus Fizer type player and that scares me.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I really don't want Thomas either Nas. I'm worrie this draft could end up being a bust. Ayone else getting those feelings?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

I hope not. I would gladly give the #16 for Odom, but not the #2. I'd rather just keep it and take Roy/Thomas/Aldridge.

Keep an eye on the Warriors. I'm pretty sure Pax is interested in Troy Murphy, and I know he wants out of Golden State. I wouldn't give the #2 for him either, but I'd offer the #16 straight up or the #2 for Murphy and the #9.

In any case, a trade makes a lot of sense if they're looking for a post scorer. Rookie bigs take a while to develop, and most of the free agent bigs are post defenders, not scorers. You could make an argument for Harrington, but I don't really consider him to be a big. To me, he is Antoine Walker with a pair of testicles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:43 am 
1000 CLUB

Murphy is better than that, Nas. He's not a world beater, but he's a decent player.

And at #9, I'd be looking towards Ronnie Brewer or Rodney Carney.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:16 am 
1000 CLUB

And for the record, I'm speculating on what may go down, not what I want to happen. I've been clear from the start that what I'd do is take Aldridge at 2, and trade up from 16 to land Brewer or Carney. Since I don't expect that to happen, I'm throwing out whatever else I can think of. Here's another possibility. Feel free to piss on it...

#16 for Cleveland's #25 plus Drew Gooden in a sign & trade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:39 am 

All this talk about Roy when Brewer is the better fit for the Bulls. Brewer can play and defend three positions. Most importantly he is a legitimate point guard. At 6-6, that gives the Bulls all kinds of versatility both with trading and keeping their existing backcourt players.

The Bulls will no longer be stuck in the traditional PG, SG, SF, PF, C paradigm (I know its a douchebag term). They will return to the days were multiple players have the ability to bring the ball up the court. Brewer would give the flexibility of making every player on the team expendable while also making those who remain better.

I want Brewer over Roy so if trading down results in getting Brewer, I am all for it.

My orgasmic draft would be Brewer and Aldridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:52 am 
1000 CLUB

Nas,

You’re my guy and I hate to sound like Buddy Ryan, but you are the king of stat manipulation. Here’s a few right back at you: D. Nowitzki – 48%, T. Duncan – 46%, R. Wallace – 43%, C. Webber – 43%.

And my personal favorite:

T. Chandler – a whopping 56%!

Also, when a player is in the league for only 5 years, and barely played his rookie year and had limited minutes in another year due to injury, his career averages are not the most accurate numbers to use when projecting his 2006-07 performance. He is a 15 & 10 guy. You may not like him, and I’m not asking you to anyway, but he is better than you’re giving him credit for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:51 am 
1000 CLUB

That’s fine, Nas. We’ll have to agree to disagree. I don’t want this to turn into the pizza argument between Dolphin & Midget. Two final thoughts and I’m done with this: 1) Claiming Murphy as a 15 & 10 guy is not spinning numbers. That’s what he is and what he should continue to be. He’s no KG, but he makes you a better team. 2) If Brewer is not on the board at 9, it means somebody significant has slipped. I’d roll the dice on that. He is a great fit for what the Bulls need, but I don’t expect him to be that high on everyone else’s board because his offensive game is not that impressive. I think the 10th pick is a safe range to target him. Between 11 & 15, 4 of those 5 picks will be a definite possibility for a SG (Orlando, New Orleans, Utah, New Orleans again). Getting in front of those teams puts you in good position to land him. You might even be able to get him as low as 13, swapping with Philly, but that’s obviously taking more of a risk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:58 am 
1000 CLUB

GS may actually be willing to deal Murphy for cheaper than you'd expect, meaning maybe the #16, and a player like Duhon (assuming he's healthy)....GS has some cap problems apparently, and some of their best young players are big men, meaning that they would like to get them on the floor.

What is Murphy's salary ? That would be the stumbling block if we're talking huge money here for Murphy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

Actually, his salary isn’t bad at all. He’ll make about $8 mil next season. In any case, if the Bulls were to pull off a trade of any significance, that deal would represent the majority of their cap space. They can’t go after Kevin Garnett or Jermaine O’Neal and then sign Al Harrington on top of that. Basically, they have room for 1 big signing & 2 draft picks or 2 decent signings & 2 draft picks.

There are a ton of options on the table, and I’m sure Pax is considering all of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:40 pm 

Nastradamus wrote:
two of the biggest sports guys on the board .

Save that for who you crappin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nastradamus wrote:
I wouldn't mind having Murphy but I just don't want to trade away the 2nd pick for a 13.7 and 10 guy. I was also talking about spinning my numbers because you I was the "king of stat manipulation". Brewer could easily end up in Boston or Houston. All that would mean is Sheldon Williams and Redick fell. I don't think the Bulls would be interested in either of them.

I think it's a good thing for two of the biggest sports guys on the board to disagree every now and then.

I wouldn't mind Williams, but obviously he isn't going to the Bulls with the 16...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Quote:
I don’t want this to turn into the pizza argument between Dolphin & Midget.

Dear Miss Manners:

Do you find it difficult to ride side saddle on that high horse of yours?

Just wondering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:09 pm 
1000 CLUB

It was a joke. Lighten up, Francis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Quote:
two of the biggest sports guys

There's something more than vaguely homoerotic about this phrasing... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:23 pm 

"we're happy for ya!"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:55 pm 

pizza_Place: any kind without pork and red meat on it
Good bump. Interesting read. I know I always wanted the Bulls to draft Gay in that draft(Gay/Tyrus/Aldridge was my preference) but knew Pax wouldn't take the risk, and we had Gordon, Nocioni and Deng at the time.

The Timberwolves really got to be kicking themselves for trading Roy for Foye.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I also thought it was a good read looking back...The Bobcats have to be kicking themselves for taking Morrison...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:05 pm 

good dolphin wanted Brewer over Roy? :lol: That's great.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:13 pm 

spmack wrote:
I also thought it was a good read looking back...The Bobcats have to be kicking themselves for taking Morrison...

can't remember who said it but i remember when they drafted him someone said, "Are the Bobcats trying to have the first all small forward starting five?"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:08 pm 

Since I hadn't joined the board when this thread was started, I am going to weigh in.

Yes, I think the Bulls will draft Tyrus Thomas.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:26 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Since I hadn't joined the board when this thread was started, I am going to weigh in.

Yes, I think the Bulls will draft Tyrus Thomas.

Where's Not Boilermaker Rick when you need him.