It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
The more I look at his stats and watch him, the more excited I am about him. I think he could be a pretty good 3rd scoring option if all pans out. That's not a knock. That's a hell of a player in the NBA. Thibs will find a way to hide his defense.

All that said, the Bulls obviously still have work to do in free agency or it doesn't matter.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:35 pm 

Nas wrote:
MattInTheCrown wrote:

It's a great shot but I only think it works with someone his height. He'll need to get a little more air under it for taller defenders.

Well, it depends on who's defending you. Dirk is defended by 4's & 5's typically, whereas Doug will be defended mostly by 3's, I'd expect. He'll shoot that over them. Thing is, it's just one part of his arsenal. He has so many tricks, he'll generally be able to find one to get his shot. I just think it's cool how well he has that particular move down. More than anyone else I'm aware of.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L
A Personal Relationship with Jesus?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:36 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
FavreFan wrote:
Interesting on how split everyone is on this guy.

I think it is interesting that everyone craps on this guy because he is white. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:38 pm 

pittmike wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I think it is interesting that everyone craps on this guy because he is white. :shock:

Who has done that?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:46 pm 

Sorry I was not impugning anyone here but awaiting the B&B white guy angle.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:46 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
The more I look at his stats and watch him, the more excited I am about him. I think he could be a pretty good 3rd scoring option if all pans out. That's not a knock. That's a hell of a player in the NBA. Thibs will find a way to hide his defense.

All that said, the Bulls obviously still have work to do in free agency or it doesn't matter.

I think even if they "strike out," they're still in a pretty good position. My target would be Lance. He brings the on-ball play they lack, and he has a ceiling of a star in the league. Next year would probably be a wash, but you're working D Rose in anyways. Going forward, I think Bairstow brings much of what Boozer brings. I really like him. He was an incredible mid-range shooter last year. And he's tough. So, if Doug works out, and Mirotic works out, you have a Spurs-like roster, of non-superstars, but tons of shooting and options. Lance can be your Ginobili, Rose can be your Parker, Doug can be for offense what Kahwi is for defense, Taj can come close to old-man-Duncan production, and Noah can be Splitter. Mirotic and Bairstow provide great mid-range off the bench, Jimmy can come in to defend wings when needed. It's intriguing.

Edit: Plus, this move makes the Pacers worse, which I love. And there's talk he could be had for $8-9M. I'd do that every damn day.

The landowner effectively owns part shares in millions of part-time slaves called, "taxpayers." -Roy L

Last edited by MattInTheCrown on Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:48 pm 

Good points MITC, but why are you calling him "Doug"? Do you know him? :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:49 pm 

RFDC wrote:
pittmike wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Who has done that?

Not necessarily here, but it's been common. So many comparisons to Korver. He's not Korver. Not at all. He might shoot nearly as well as Korver, but his offensive arsenal is far and away better. He may defend as poorly, though, which has to be taken into consideration.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:50 pm 

He is BAD at basketball.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:51 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:

It's just easier. 4 letters. His last-name is a bitch, and I'm lazy. Especially when I'm comparing him with "Dirk." I try to post efficiently, like Doug.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
pittmike wrote:

Not gonna happen. Dan likes him and Terry is drooling over him.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:52 pm 

MattInTheCrown wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

It's just easier. 4 letters. His last-name is a bitch, and I'm lazy. Especially when I'm comparing him with "Dirk." I try to post efficiently, like Doug.

Ahhhh... fair enough. I did legitimately start to wonder if you knew him.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
leashyourkids wrote:

He's not a good individual defender but he plays great team defense and he's usually in the right spot. Everyone may not care about the Big East but what he did every night being the only scoring option was amazing and I don't believe saying he could be somewhere between Wally Szczerbiak and Paul Pierce is a stretch. I love what he will be able to provide the Bulls.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:12 pm 

Nas wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

He's not a good individual defender but he plays great team defense and he's usually in the right spot. Everyone may not care about the Big East but what he did every night being the only scoring option was amazing and I don't believe saying he could be somewhere between Wally Szczerbiak and Paul Pierce is a stretch. I love what he will be able to provide the Bulls.

Yeah. Likely, I think he'll be a pretty shitty defender. But the Bulls made Korver work. I see no reason he won't be at least as good as Korver, and at least possess some optimism he'll be better.

I see Korver as his floor. Maybe he won't shoot quite as well (Kover's near GOAT shooters), but he's more dynamic offensively. Defensively, they should be pretty close. So, the question is, if you traded 16 & 19 for a 23 year old Korver on a rookie contract, is that bad? It's close, but it's not horrible. Again, I think that's his floor. So, to me, this draft pick makes a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:17 pm 

Does not really matter. If he plays well the B&B show will be we only like him because he is white.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
pittmike wrote:
Does not really matter. If he plays well the B&B show will be we only like him because he is white.

Perfect distillation, Pittmike.

Bad show.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:30 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
MattInTheCrown wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Ahhhh... fair enough. I did legitimately start to wonder if you knew him.

I'm legitimately starting to wonder if he IS Doug McDermott.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Not gonna happen. Dan likes him and Terry is drooling over him.

I don't think that's really true though. They're both on the record stating time after time how they hate "white basketball". So when Terry adopts McDermott as "his guy" it rings hollow or comes off as a bit. It's a no lose for B&b. If he is good, then Terry was a prescient basketball genius. Remember, he was also the first guy who recognized Jordan was Jordan. But if he busts out it's a treasure trove of jokes about "white basketball".

Also, if dan takes the position that McDermott was a lousy choice, then the trading of the two picks for one shitty guy might be construed as evidence that Jerry Reinsdorf is indeed dangerously cheap. And dan is part of the Reinsdorf PR apparatus, apparently so much so that he has converted to a belief in "white basketball".

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:36 pm 

Yeah I mean I have no clue their motivations behind it. A lot of that is true. I will say in Terry's defense that he was saying it before the draft and I think with Boers unlike Dan you can tell when he's being genuine. He sounded sincere in his praise to me.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:40 pm 

Quote:
By Adam Fluck | 06.30.2014

As the son of a basketball coach, Doug McDermott has been around the game his entire life.

When his father, Greg, coached at Iowa State, he regularly attended practice. And while Doug, who attended Ames High School at the time, would have loved to play for the Cyclones, he didn’t get a lot of attention from Division I schools.

“I was kind of a late bloomer,” admits Doug. “I wasn’t getting recruited a lot.”

So the younger McDermott committed to attend the University of Northern Iowa. But when Greg left the Big 12 for Omaha, Nebraska, things changed.

“When he got the job at Creighton, I was fortunate enough to join him,” said Doug. “We had a great four years. I got a lot better under him and his staff.”

The entire McDermott family—parents Greg and Theresa, along with Doug’s siblings, Sidney and Nick—was on hand at the Berto Center Monday as the Bulls introduced their 2014 draft picks.

As he did on draft night, General Manager Gar Forman stated that the Bulls had targeted McDermott, someone who the team had been watching closely since his freshman year at Creighton. Chicago traded up to acquire him, sending the 16th and 19th picks and a 2015 second round pick to Denver for his rights and forward Anthony Randolph.

Forman sees McDermott as a great fit, bringing an uncanny ability to shoot the ball along with a versatile game, the ability to play inside or out, and a high basketball IQ.

For McDermott, it’s a level that few could have seen him reaching as recently as a few years ago.

“He developed quickly but Doug has put the time in,” said Greg. “It’s a unique story because he was a sixth man on his high school team as a junior. Six years later, he’s a lottery pick and that doesn’t happen very often.”

Doug credits high school teammate Harrison Barnes—then regarded as one of the country’s top prep player and now with the Golden State Warriors—for pushing him in all those competitive practices. It was Barnes’ work ethic that rubbed off on McDermott and ultimately made him a better player.
Still, though, the NBA was not something Doug or Greg thought possible—until after his freshman year of college.

That’s when Doug was one of 12 players selected to represent USA Basketball at the U19 FIBA World Championships in Riga, Latvia. A good showing there—Doug averaged 11.3 points and 6.1 rebounds—fueled his confidence. He also put on an additional 15-20 pounds of muscle which allowed him to finish through contact as well as extend his shooting range.

As a sophomore, Doug saw a significant increase in his production across the board. The NBA began to take notice. By the time he closed out his college career, the accolades and accomplishments had piled up: National Player of the Year. First Team-All American. Fifth in NCAA history with 3,150 career points, having passed the likes of Larry Bird and Oscar Robertson.

And through it all, there was Greg, Doug’s father and coach, who stayed on him to be his best, though it wasn’t always easy or enjoyable for either of them.

“There were definitely some tough days in practice,” said Doug. “Since I was his kid, he had to be a lot harder on me to set an example for the team. At first, that was hard to get used to. But by the time I was a senior, I really got used to it.”

The elder McDermott agreed: “It was a challenge at first. For 18 years, my voice was his father’s voice and overnight it became his coach’s voice.”

As both Greg and Doug looked back on the adjustment period and surely recalled some of the highest highs and lowest lows in their minds, both agree that it was an extremely rewarding experience at the end of the day.

Now, as McDermott joins the Bulls, it’s no longer Greg who will be working with him in practice or drawing up plays in the huddle. Still…

“He’ll always be my coach and my biggest critic,” said Doug with a smile. “I’ll have to deal with that the rest of my career. But it is what it is and we’ve had a lot of fun together. I’m excited to play for a new coach.”

That being said, Doug doesn’t expect playing for Chicago’s Tom Thibodeau to be any easier.

“It could be harder. I’ve heard some things from my dad that maybe Thibs won’t say to me,” laughed McDermott before turning serious. “I’ve got some pretty high expectations. I’m going in with an open mind. I know it’s going to be hard and I think it’s going to start today actually. I’m planning on getting a workout in this afternoon so we’ll see.”

As Greg watched his son enter the NBA world on Monday, the coach in him couldn’t help but envision Doug on the floor with the likes of Derrick Rose.

“Doug didn’t get many open shots in college,” stated Greg. “He had to work for everything he got and a lot of his three-point shots he had to catch and they’d be gone because he didn’t have much space. Derrick’s ability to create things off the dribble for himself and his teammates is going to allow Doug to get some open shots. And when he gets open shots, more than not he’s going to knock them down.”

“It’s pretty crazy,” said Doug. “I’m just excited to meet him right now. I’ll be like a little kid meeting him. I couldn’t ask for a better point guard. He draws so much attention and is so explosive. I feel like I can really play off a guy like that.”

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

Sounds like a great kid.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:01 pm 

Nas wrote:
Sounds like a great kid.

Yeah can't wait for sini's next piece .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:46 am 

So the consensus on this pick seems to be he will be somewhere in between a 3 minutes per game player to a 20 points per game scorer?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Is McDermott's best case scenario Gordon Hayward? I'd be happy with 16/5/5 per game.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

Paul Pierce is best case scenario.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Is his drive anything special? I don't recall it from the tournament and looking at career highlights he doesn't to seem to have many moves except 'hope I beat the defender off the first step.' Or relies on screens.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:20 pm 
100000 CLUB

immessedup17 wrote:
Is his drive anything special? I don't recall it from the tournament and looking at career highlights he doesn't to seem to have many moves except 'hope I beat the defender off the first step.' Or relies on screens.

He's crafty off the dribble and can get his shot off. He's confident too.

The evening after being acquired by the Chicago, Doug McDermott attended a wedding that also included another former Bulls player on the guest list.

"I actually sat down with Kyle Korver, who was at the same wedding," he said Thursday on the Dan Patrick Show. "So I got to sit down with him for a good 20-30 minutes just to talk about what to expect from the Bulls."

So Patrick asked the question Chicago fans wanted answered: Was McDermott the best shooter at the wedding?

"I was, I definitely was," he said.

"...It'd be a really good match (against Korver). I feel like I'm right up there, too."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:14 pm 

31 pts today in summer league win vs. Denver

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:18 pm 

RFDC wrote:

On only 12 shots. Efficiency.

Snell has had a couple good games too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:57 pm 
100000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:

He didn't shoot well yesterday but he filled up the stat sheet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 354 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next