It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fire Fred Hoiberg
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:54 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
long time guy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
long time guy, what do you want the Bulls to be? You don't like their best coach since Jackson. You don't like the best performer on the team. What exactly do you want to work with here?

Coaches since Phil Jackson

Tim Floyd

Bill Cartwright

Vinny Del Negro.

Scott Skiles. Not really a stellar list. Thibs was a good coach. Thibs wasn't a great coach. I had a problem with his refusal to play young players and his offensive system.

The NBA is going away from the style of play that he is promotes. It's a much more free flowing game these days.

In Butlers case I think he hurts the offense but I'm not an advocate of him being traded. I think he is perfectly suited to be a 2nd or 3rd option. I don't think that he is receptive to that. I think that Butler views himself as an elite NBA player and not an All Star. By elite I'm talking top 5 to 7 guy.

Sam Smith reported about Butler blowing off a team bonding session earlier this season so that he could hangout with some of his guys. Is that an example of being a good leader?

Butler is one of the only Bulls players that consistently shoes up to charity events.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Kitchen
Fred Hoiberg is a great American and great coach who plays ball.

Tom Thibodeau is a malcontent who does not appreciate his bosses.

#Truth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
long time guy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
long time guy, what do you want the Bulls to be? You don't like their best coach since Jackson. You don't like the best performer on the team. What exactly do you want to work with here?

Coaches since Phil Jackson

Tim Floyd

Bill Cartwright

Vinny Del Negro.

Scott Skiles. Not really a stellar list. Thibs was a good coach. Thibs wasn't a great coach. I had a problem with his refusal to play young players and his offensive system.

The NBA is going away from the style of play that he is promotes. It's a much more free flowing game these days.

In Butlers case I think he hurts the offense but I'm not an advocate of him being traded. I think he is perfectly suited to be a 2nd or 3rd option. I don't think that he is receptive to that. I think that Butler views himself as an elite NBA player and not an All Star. By elite I'm talking top 5 to 7 guy.

Sam Smith reported about Butler blowing off a team bonding session earlier this season so that he could hangout with some of his guys. Is that an example of being a good leader?

loved VDN got them from point C to point B

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:31 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

If the Bulls are going to win anything of note, then the have to find a better "best player". If it's not Rose and it appears it's not, then they have to find someone else. If it's Butler then the Bulls aren't going to be more than a 45 win team. I remember the Jalen Rose as best player model. That model was not going to win many games. Butler is better than Rose, but Butler is also surrounded by better players than Jalen Rose had when he was here. It can't be that the Bulls will go only as far as Butler can take them. If that's the case then it won't be very far.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:33 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I mean, I agree with your premise, but you seem to just shit all over the guy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
veganfan21 wrote:
Bit hyperbolic/silly at the very end (closing sentence) but otherwise valid I think arguments regarding the direction of the team under Hoiberg vs Thibs.

Quote:
The more Bulls lose, the greater Tom Thibodeau looks

The great thing about sports debates as opposed to, say, political debates is that arguments are often validated and won with statistical evidence not blathering rhetoric.

For example …

Phil Jackson coached 20 seasons in the NBA and never missed making the playoffs. His teams won 11 NBA titles, more than any other coach, and he is the only coach in history—five-plus seasons—who has won more than 70 percent of his games. If he’s not considered the NBA’s greatest coach, the Zenmaster is in the discussion.

For all of Jackson’s greatness, though, he never coached a season without Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Kobe Bryant or Shaquille O’Neal on his roster. Each are easily NBA Top 50 all-time players. In 12 of his 20 years, he had the Jordan-Pippen or Kobe-Shaq tandem and won almost three-quarters (.741) of his games. In the eight seasons Jackson coached without either dynamic duo, his win percentage slipped to .647. Remember that number.

Gregg Popovich is also a name tossed around in the greatest-coach debate. (Let’s eliminate Red Auerbach and K.C. Jones from the discussion because even Fred Hoiberg could have won with those loaded Celtics teams.) Popovich has a .691 win percentage, trailing only Jackson and Billy Cunningham (.698) among coaches with five-plus years.

Like Phil, Pops has also been endowed with great players. All 20 of his Spurs rosters have included either David Robinson or Tim Duncan or both. But, Popovich’s rookie season, Robinson went down with an injury six games into the season. The Will Perdue-led Spurs finished 20-62. It was the only time Popovich missed the playoffs.

Which brings us to Tom Thibodeau, who took the Bulls to the playoffs in each of his five seasons.

With Derrick Rose in the lineup, Thibs’ Bulls were 132-49 (.729), 25 percentage points better than Jackson’s lifetime mark. Without the 2011 MVP, Thibs’ record dropped to 123-90 (.577). Rose will likely never be an NBA Top 50 all-time player, nor will Joakim Noah, Luol Deng, Jimmy Butler or any of Thibs’ other Bulls. Gasol might be close, but he arrived in Chicago at age 34.

Point is, through five seasons of on-again-off-again Rose, Thibs posted a combined .647 win percentage.

Bingo!

So, with or without his one “great” player, Thibs won as often as Phil Jackson did in his Pippen-minus-MJ and Kobe-minus-Shaq seasons.

Enter Fred Hoiberg.

Inheriting Thibs’ same players plus a solid rookie in Bobby Portis, Hoiberg’s Bulls are .519 coming out of the All-Star break. With games Thursday and Friday against the Cavs and Raptors, the Bulls could be .500 by the weekend.

We were led to believe this was a championship roster. Thibs was passing the baton to a coach whose offensive mind would take them from Point A to Point C. Problem is, opponents are getting 100-plus points every night of that journey.

Other than the injury to Mike Dunleavy, the Bulls started the season as healthy as they have been in years. There was no reason for this team to lapse, but they have.

Some might argue that Thibs would win the regular season and limp out of the playoffs. Before Rose went down with the first knee injury against the 76ers in 2012 playoffs, Thibodeau was 10-7 in the playoffs.

Interestingly, Thibs, who is constantly accused of wearing down his stars, played Rose a little more than 40 minutes per game in their first playoffs together. In the two previous seasons, Vinny Del Negro used Rose 44.7 and a league-high 42.4 in 2010.

Thibs had a “healthy” Rose for just a dozen more playoff games during his final three seasons, and the lame-duck coach still managed to finish 6-6 in last season’s playoffs despite all the dysfunction.

Jackson went 11-9 the two seasons after Jordan’s first retirement and was 4-8 with the Lakers after Shaq’s departure.

The way the Bulls are going right now, we might not ever know if Hoiberg’s laid-back approach leads to playoff success. In fact, if the Bulls continue down this path, they just might make the case for Thibs being the greatest coach in NBA history.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/basketball/ ... ba-history

Dan Bernstine wrote:
Could be a very good advanced scout.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:35 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I mean, I agree with your premise, but you seem to just shit all over the guy.

It didn't start until this year. I think he is good player. I just started looking at some of his statements and it made me sour on the guy a little bit.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Quote:

Report: Despite turmoil, Bulls pretty much stuck with Fred Hoiberg
By Matt Moore / NBA writer
April 02, 2016 12:03 PM ET

Yahoo Sports reports that the Bulls are unlikely to fire Fred Hoiberg despite the Bulls being in danger of missing the playoffs with a roster largely unchanged from last season and despite comments from Jimmy Butler and Pau Gasol challenging Hoiberg's coaching style.

In a Vertical video, Adrian Wojnarowski reports that because of the money left on the contracts of both Tom Thibodeau and Hoiberg, Chicago is largely stuck with Hoiberg, and that management is essentially "tied" to his success or failure.

"Chicago's front office of John Paxton and Gar Forman couldn't wait to hire Fred Hoiberg from Iowa State last summer," Wojnarowski says. "So much so that both the front office and Hoiberg knew for months prior that Thibodeau would be fired and Hoiberg hired as coach. Hoiberg is management's guy now, and they are on the line for his success. Management can't fire Tom Thibodeau with $9 million left on his deal, then fire Hoiberg, with an additional $20 million remaining over four years on his contract.

"Paxton and Forman have to reshape the roster and support Hoiberg, which is new for them. Usually Bulls management is used to blaming and undermining its coaches. But now they have to understand that their own job security is likely tied to Hoiberg's success or failure."

That sound you hear somewhere is Thibodeau laughing his face off.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-ba ... ed-hoiberg

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:21 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
What member of Reinsdorf management is tied to a manager's or coach's success? What a load of shit. Gar will be the fall guy and Paxson will choose his next lackey.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:51 pm 
100000 CLUB

Hoiberg should thank Steve Kerr every day

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Fred is better than Kidd :shock:

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:40 pm 

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:10 pm 

Just wanted to make sure this was still here. It is, so all is well. Fire Hoiberg.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:13 pm 

ok well theres no reason to talk in acid land

hoiberg is our #1 coach. he will be here next year

will the players be though? sure, in person they will be. in spirit? in money? as in, will they just play better because they are seeking new contracts? will they play better because this offseason will lean on guys who are boarderling d league and will try hard for any asshole like hoiberg?

dan bernstein said before this season started- "just be patient. you will see an offense you havent seen before. you wont understand it"

yes, you were right once again bernstie... so right and so wrong at the same time

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:29 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
dan bernstein said before this season started- "just be patient. you will see an offense you havent seen before. you wont understand it"

:lol: :lol:

Add that one to Dan's list of things he was wrong about.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:43 pm 

IkeSouth wrote:
ok well theres no reason to talk in acid land

hoiberg is our #1 coach. he will be here next year

will the players be though? sure, in person they will be. in spirit? in money? as in, will they just play better because they are seeking new contracts? will they play better because this offseason will lean on guys who are boarderling d league and will try hard for any asshole like hoiberg?

yes, you were right once again bernstie... so right and so wrong at the same time

I don't understand anything in this post except for the Bernstein quip. Otherwise I think you said Hoiberg will be here next year and the players might be too. ?

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:33 pm 

because they will be here next year. the nba is a business. hoiberg and most of these guys are under contract.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:10 pm 

So it's come down to mixing clips from Dumb and Dumber into game tape in order to motivate the guys to win out the season. If it weren't for the piss poor, uninspiring job Hoiberg has done from the start, he probably wouldn't have to lower the Bulls' respectability any lower than it is at the moment. This guy can't get fired soon enough.

Quote:
First-year coach Fred Hoiberg is trying to keep his team loose, saying he spliced in a movie clip to the team's film session.

"We watched film. We watched the clip of 'Dumb and Dumber' where Jim Carrey says, 'So you're telling me there's a chance,'" Hoiberg said. "You just got to go out there and fight. We're still in it. That's got to be our mindset, come out with great urgency, great energy, and hopefully we do that. We're going to have to if we want a chance to be in it at the end of the game."

Hoiberg, who spliced in a clip from "Animal House" to a film session earlier in the season, acknowledged that his players were much more familiar with "Dumb and Dumber" than the '70s classic.

The 43-year-old coach said he believes he has a stronger relationship with his players than the outside world believes as his team struggles to the finish line.

"I've got very good relationships with these guys," Hoiberg said. "I've met with several of them this morning. I meet with them regularly. My relationship with Pau is -- Pau and I went to dinner after the Indiana game and talked about a lot of things. You meet with these guys to try to have those relationships to where you need them, and I think we've done a solid job with that this year to have those relationships. You've got to continue to build them, and it's going to be a big thing we do this summer."

The quotes about "relationships" are as empty as the platitudes that come out of Trump or Carson's mouth about...anything, really.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15170 ... cago-bulls

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:37 pm 

This team is fucked.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:45 pm 
100000 CLUB

Either he makes a major improvement next year or you fire him and Gar.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:21 pm 

Gar will be gone. I can't imagine the Chairman eating 3 years of Hoiberg's deal.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:29 am 

Apparently Wade disagrees.

chicagotribune.com
https://www.google.com/amp/www.chicagot ... y,amp.html

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:44 am 

Fred's parents disagree too, maybe it's time we rethink this. http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... 308085001/

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
long time guy wrote:

chicagotribune.com

You pick interesting times to support what Dwyane Wade says publicly.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:03 am 

IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:

chicagotribune.com

You pick interesting times to support what Dwyane Wade says publicly.

As you pick interesting times to disagree :roll: I really posted this because it seems that Vegan only gives credence to opinions when they are provided by players.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:31 am 

Wade backs present coach in newspaper: good
Wade trashes present coach in newspaper: bad

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I for one don't think anyone should take what a selfish malcontent like Wade says seriously. He's never accomplished anything of note in the league and he got in the way of the true leader of the team, Rajon Rondo.

Also, wasn't the entire justification for Hoiberg that he's a win now coach? Wasn't that one of the main reasons to lock him into a 5 year deal despite not conducting any kind of real coaching search and having no competition for his coaching talent from other teams? Why are we now excusing his performance as a result of his being young and learning on the job?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:34 am 

ZephMarshack wrote:
I for one don't think anyone should take what a selfish malcontent like Wade says seriously. He's never accomplished anything of note in the league and he got in the way of the true leader of the team, Rajon Rondo.

Also, wasn't the entire justification for Hoiberg that he's a win now coach? Wasn't that one of the main reasons to lock him into a 5 year deal despite not conducting any kind of real coaching search and having no competition for his coaching talent from other teams? Why are we now excusing his performance as a result of his being young and learning on the job?

There are only 2 players playing for the Bulls from when Thibs was the coach and one of them isn't shit. The assessment on Hoiberg should have changed the second the personnel changed. It didn't.

Last edited by long time guy on Mon May 01, 2017 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:36 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
Wade backs present coach in newspaper: good
Wade trashes present coach in newspaper: bad

I'm not saying whether I agree or disagree though he did hit on a number of points that I'd addressed previously. His views will only be given credence by you when he provides things that you agree with. That is obvious.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
long time guy wrote:
As you pick interesting times to disagree :roll: I really posted this because it seems that Vegan only gives credence to opinions when they are provided by players.

Hoiberg is a terrible coach, and he might have gotten worse at the end of the season.

Great players don't necessarily identify talent in others when it comes to basketball. See: Jordan, Michael.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next