It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fire Fred Hoiberg
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
I for one don't think anyone should take what a selfish malcontent like Wade says seriously. He's never accomplished anything of note in the league and he got in the way of the true leader of the team, Rajon Rondo.

Also, wasn't the entire justification for Hoiberg that he's a win now coach? Wasn't that one of the main reasons to lock him into a 5 year deal despite not conducting any kind of real coaching search and having no competition for his coaching talent from other teams? Why are we now excusing his performance as a result of his being young and learning on the job?

There are only 2 players playing for the Bulls when Thibs was the coach and one of them isn't shit. The assessment on Hoiberg should have changed the second the personnel changed. It didn't.

You hated the Thibs guys they had last season too and used that as an excuse for Hoiberg's failure to make the postseason as well. The guy you're now claiming isn't shit was exactly one of the players expected to flourish under the genius offensive coaching and player development of The Mayor.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:50 am 

ZephMarshack wrote:
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
I for one don't think anyone should take what a selfish malcontent like Wade says seriously. He's never accomplished anything of note in the league and he got in the way of the true leader of the team, Rajon Rondo.

Also, wasn't the entire justification for Hoiberg that he's a win now coach? Wasn't that one of the main reasons to lock him into a 5 year deal despite not conducting any kind of real coaching search and having no competition for his coaching talent from other teams? Why are we now excusing his performance as a result of his being young and learning on the job?

There are only 2 players playing for the Bulls when Thibs was the coach and one of them isn't shit. The assessment on Hoiberg should have changed the second the personnel changed. It didn't.

You hated the Thibs guys they had last season too and used that as an excuse for Hoiberg's failure to make the postseason as well. The guy you're now claiming isn't shit was exactly one of the players expected to flourish under the genius offensive coaching and player development of The Mayor.

Damn for the sake of repititious use of a word. This is revisionist and no one will call you on it unless I do it. That is why I'm going to do it. The Bulls had injuries last season. That was the primary reason that I believed that they underachieved. I provided statistics on the number of games lost to injuries (twice that of Thibs the previous season by the way). There are guys i didn't like (Moore Taj) but overall I thought they were a talented team.

I even provided evidence for it and the record of the Bulls once Noah went out.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:53 am 

IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:
As you pick interesting times to disagree :roll: I really posted this because it seems that Vegan only gives credence to opinions when they are provided by players.

Hoiberg is a terrible coach, and he might have gotten worse at the end of the season.

Great players don't necessarily identify talent in others when it comes to basketball. See: Jordan, Michael.

You sure do pick a fine time to disagree with the relative positions of Bulls players.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:
As you pick interesting times to disagree :roll: I really posted this because it seems that Vegan only gives credence to opinions when they are provided by players.

Hoiberg is a terrible coach, and he might have gotten worse at the end of the season.

Great players don't necessarily identify talent in others when it comes to basketball. See: Jordan, Michael.

You sure do pick a fine time to disagree with the relative positions of Bulls players.

NBA players aren't the sharpest. I won't base my opinions on their opinions. Aren't you the biggest fan of the eye test? Does Hoiberg pass yours?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:03 am 

long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

Damn for the sake of repititious use of a word. This is revisionist and no one will call you on it unless I do it. That is why I'm going to do it. The Bulls had injuries last season. That was the primary reason that I believed that they underachieved. I provided statistics on the number of games lost to injuries (twice that of Thibs the previous season by the way). There are guys i didn't like (Moore Taj) but overall I thought they were a talented team.

And as I've pointed out again and again, the guys they had injured last season weren't top of the line players. Noah had already been relegated to the bench by Coach Fred, which of course he also lied about (just like he did this year with Rondo, great leadership right?). Don't sit here and try to tell me that the guy Hoiberg determined wasn't good enough to start was somehow a crucial missing piece.

I would also point out that Thibs had no issue making the playoffs when the Bulls lost 188 games due injuries in 2012-2013. Now here's the part where you claim that's disingenuous because Rose accounted for a sizable portion of those games lost, but I'm gonna go ahead and make the most audacious claim that the Bulls losing Rose that season was far more significant than Hoiberg not having benchwarmer status Joakim Noah and a Mike Dunleavy who was scarcely better than his replacements available for significant portions of 2015-2016.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:04 am 

IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:
IMU wrote:
long time guy wrote:

NBA players aren't the sharpest. I won't base my opinions on their opinions. Aren't you the biggest fan of the eye test? Does Hoiberg pass yours?

I have reservations about Hoiberg but I don't think that He is anywhere near the albatross that some have portrayed him to be. If he were then they should be able to state how a better coach would have drastically improved the team. They rarely if ever do. Its standard meatball stuff about "he stinks" he's terrible ya ya ya. At least when I bashed Thibs I could point to specific stuff. Gets old after awhile.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:06 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
And just so everyone is clear, lying to the media about communication with players, not communicating to Rondo why he was benched, not figuring out a consistent rotation, avoiding communicating with players about sensitive issues, and not holding players accountable is not specific stuff.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:07 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
And just so everyone is clear, lying to the media about communication with players, not communicating to Rondo why he was benched, not figuring out a consistent rotation, avoiding communicating with players about sensitive issues, and not holding players accountable is not specific stuff.

The Bulls "met expectations" this year which clearly means Fred Hoiberg is at least competent, even though I cannot be bothered to articulate a single thing he does well.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:10 am 

ZephMarshack wrote:
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
long time guy wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:

And as I've pointed out again and again, the guys they had injured last season weren't top of the line players. Noah had already been relegated to the bench by Coach Fred, which of course he also lied about (just like he did this year with Rondo, great leadership right?). Don't sit here and try to tell me that the guy Hoiberg determined wasn't good enough to start was somehow a crucial missing piece.

I would also point out that Thibs had no issue making the playoffs when the Bulls lost 188 games due injuries in 2012-2013. Now here's the part where you claim that's disingenuous because Rose accounted for a sizable portion of those games lost, but I'm gonna go ahead and make the most audacious claim that the Bulls losing Rose that season was far more significant than Hoiberg not having benchwarmer status Joakim Noah and a Mike Dunleavy who was scarcely better than his replacements available for significant portions of 2015-2016.

When Noah was injured the Bulls record was 23-15 and he'd really started to play well. Hoiberg never lied about Rondo being benched he simply benched him and didn't provide an explanation. Another revisionism. Maybe Hoiberg benched Rondo because he wasn't meshing with Wade and Butler. As far as demonstrating whether he was a crucial piece obviously he was as evidence by the team going 2-0 during the playoffs with him and 4-0 without him.

Thibs got a revival year out of Gasol and a Bustout year with Butler and Rose still playing at a high level and still couldn't do shit.

Gasol had already begun to slow down last season and I stated that the Bulls were doomed as soon as saw Taj getting the Bulk of the minutes.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:15 am 

veganfan21 wrote:

The Bulls have about 10 players on their roster that are unproven. How is anyone going to find a consistent rotation from that? As far as finding a consistent rotation the vast majority of people on here that bash him for not having it don't really agree on what it should be either. ONe minute its play Canaan the next its MCW the Next its Portis. At other times its why isn't he playing Valentine.

We have one poster that applauded Hoiberg for benching Rondo then bashed him later for playing him.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:17 am 

ZephMarshack wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

The Bulls "met expectations" this year which clearly means Fred Hoiberg is at least competent, even though I cannot be bothered to articulate a single thing he does well.

When he has a legit PG "Hoiball" has been shown to work well. He also took a stand against playing Payne though surprisingly no one has ever mentioned it here.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
long time guy wrote:
I have reservations about Hoiberg but I don't think that He is anywhere near the albatross that some have portrayed him to be. If he were then they should be able to state how a better coach would have drastically improved the team. They rarely if ever do. Its standard meatball stuff about "he stinks" he's terrible ya ya ya. At least when I bashed Thibs I could point to specific stuff. Gets old after awhile.

A better coach (pretty much any other coach) would have been able to run an offense and defense that can correctly use the team's personnel. The team, even despite the flaws many players exhibit, should have been a five or a six seed in the East. Hoiberg has no idea how to use one of the Top 10 players in the NBA. He benched Rajon Rondo in order to start three point guards that probably shouldn't be playing any minutes. How has he helped develop Valentine and Payne? Why does he sit Robin Lopez each time he starts to win the matchup with opposing teams?

edit: I'm not done. Mirotic and McDermott were main reasons why Hoiberg was brought to Chicago. They are the type of players that should flourish with him. They've been brutal.

When is he required to answer to any of the above? This isn't one or two failures being weighed against his successes. He has no successes. There is not one thing he can hang his hat on.

Vinny Del Negro had more success as a Bulls head coach than Fred Hoiberg. Vinny del Fucking Negro.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:31 am 

long time guy wrote:
When Noah was injured the Bulls record was 23-15 and he'd really started to play well. Hoiberg never lied about Rondo being benched he simply benched him and didn't provide an explanation. Another revisionism. Maybe Hoiberg benched Rondo because he wasn't meshing with Wade and Butler. As far as demonstrating whether he was a crucial piece obviously he was as evidence by the team going 2-0 during the playoffs with him and 4-0 without him.
Rondo definitely accused Hoiberg of lying to him in the offseason though since he claimed he was assured he'd be given the opportunity to call plays on the offensive end of the ball. But fine, if you really to score points, the Noah and Rondo situations weren't exact parallels. Rather than lying to the media about what a player said to him, Hoiberg merely "miscommunicated." This shows great on the job growth by Hoiberg. Our Fred is learning!

The 6 game winning streak the Bulls had around New Year took place with Noah already sitting with his initial injury. Please stop pretending that his injury was some kind of significant blow to the coach that benched him.
Quote:
Thibs got a revival year out of Gasol and a Bustout year with Butler and Rose still playing at a high level and still couldn't do shit.

Gasol had already begun to slow down last season and I stated that the Bulls were doomed as soon as saw Taj getting the Bulk of the minutes.

Hoiberg had more total games played by Gasol, Rose, and Butler than the team that should've defeated Lebron did. Gasol's numbers did not exactly fall off a cliff between the two seasons. Try again.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:38 am 

ZephMarshack wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Rondo definitely accused Hoiberg of lying to him in the offseason though since he claimed he was assured he'd be given the opportunity to call plays on the offensive end of the ball. But fine, if you really to score points, the Noah and Rondo situations weren't exact parallels. Rather than lying to the media about what a player said to him, Hoiberg merely "miscommunicated." This shows great on the job growth by Hoiberg. Our Fred is learning!

The 6 game winning streak the Bulls had around New Year took place with Noah already sitting with his initial injury. Please stop pretending that his injury was some kind of significant blow to the coach that benched him.
Quote:

Hoiberg had more total games played by Gasol, Rose, and Butler than the team that should've defeated Lebron did. Gasol's numbers did not exactly fall off a cliff between the two seasons. Try again.

Rose also played the first 6-8 weeks with a damn mask on which obviously affected his play. You and others consistently failed to sight that and as far as Noah goes the Bulls were 8 games better with him and -6 with him out. They were 8 games better with him out and Rose playing like shit due to the mask. Noah was avg 10 boards a game and about 4 or 5 assists and had begun to put double doubles while playing about 22 minutes a game. Continue on with the "he wasn't really a factor if you like"

Another thing if Thibs was such the guy then why in the hell have the last 2 teams that he has coached been underachievers?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:04 pm 

long time guy wrote:
Rose also played the first 6-8 weeks with a damn mask on which obviously affected his play. You and others consistently failed to sight that and as far as Noah goes the Bulls were 8 games better with him and -6 with him out. They were 8 games better with him out and Rose playing like shit due to the mask. Noah was avg 10 boards a game and about 4 or 5 assists and had begun to put double doubles while playing about 22 minutes a game. Continue on with the "he wasn't really a factor if you like"

Another thing if Thibs was such the guy then why in the hell have the last 2 teams that he has coached been underachievers?

But the Rose Thibs had in 2014-2015 entered the year as fit as could be? Why aren't you mentioning the fact that it was his first full season back after going down yet again the preceding year?

Again, your statistics for Noah are rubbish. The Bulls were 8-2 in the games without Noah before they pulled the plug on him for the season. He scored double digits on exactly two occasions that season, so it's a bit difficult to see how he was starting to get double doubles. Taj Gibson averaged 7 more points and 5 fewer rebounds per 36 minutes this season compared to Noah that year so perhaps he too was a crucial missing piece after he was traded away?

Finally, you're about the only person who still regards Thibs' last year with the Bulls as a matter of underachieving. Your entire expectations framework remains illogical, since one of the primary reasons Thibodeau has such high expectations in Minnesota is because of his previous success, and one of the reasons for the low expectations for this year's Bulls team is what Hoiberg had displayed as a coach his first season (very little).

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:23 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
long time guy wrote:

But the Rose Thibs had in 2014-2015 entered the year as fit as could be? Why aren't you mentioning the fact that it was his first full season back after going down yet again the preceding year?

Again, your statistics for Noah are rubbish. The Bulls were 8-2 in the games without Noah before they pulled the plug on him for the season. He scored double digits on exactly two occasions that season, so it's a bit difficult to see how he was starting to get double doubles. Taj Gibson averaged 7 more points and 5 fewer rebounds per 36 minutes this season compared to Noah that year so perhaps he too was a crucial missing piece after he was traded away?

Finally, you're about the only person who still regards Thibs' last year with the Bulls as a matter of underachieving. Your entire expectations framework remains illogical, since one of the primary reasons Thibodeau has such high expectations in Minnesota is because of his previous success, and one of the reasons for the low expectations for this year's Bulls team is what Hoiberg had displayed as a coach his first season (very little).

Did Thibs underachieve with Minnesota this year yeah or nay? I will address the other parts later but I want to know your thoughts on that?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Bulls under Thibbs were not underachievers...you bring up Rose playing with a mask for Hoiberg yet fail to mention the year and half he missed under Thibbs

I'm out.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:24 pm 

Walt Williams Neck wrote:
Bulls under Thibbs were not underachievers...you bring up Rose playing with a mask for Hoiberg yet fail to mention the year and half he missed under Thibbs

I will be clear about Thibs bashing. First four years I give him a pass. That last year I saw chinks in the Thibs armor.

I find it very interesting that the Thibs supporters give him a pass for losing to Philly but diss the hell out of Hoiberg for losing to Boston. Talk about hypocrisy.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:25 pm 

Did Thibs underachieve with Minnesota this year yeah or nay?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:26 pm 

I regrettably also gave Thibs a pass for winning over 60 games his first two seasons. Should have seen the red flags all over the place.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
:lol: :lol:

Of course Wade wants the Bulls to bring Hoiberg back. He's gonna be in Cleveland next year.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:30 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
:lol: :lol:

Of course Wade wants the Bulls to bring Hoiberg back. He's gonna be in Cleveland next year.

:lol: Sad but prob true and prob what is best for the Bulls.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:30 pm 

veganfan21 wrote:
I regrettably also gave Thibs a pass for winning over 60 games his first two seasons. Should have seen the red flags all over the place.

Bad choice of words.

You surely give him a pass for losing to Philly despite having superior talent yet you bash Hoiberg for losing to Boston with inferior talent. Somehow the incongruity eludes you.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:31 pm 

long time guy wrote:

I will be clear about Thibs bashing. First four years I give him a pass. That last year I saw chinks in the Thibs armor.

I find it very interesting that the Thibs supporters give him a pass for losing to Philly but diss the hell out of Hoiberg for losing to Boston. Talk about hypocrisy.

The Bulls lost their best player (Rose) before the series started and lost their 2nd best player (Noah) during the series. It would be like Boston playing us without Thomas and Horford.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:32 pm 

long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Bad choice of words.

You surely give him a pass for losing to Philly despite having superior talent yet you bash Hoiberg for losing to Boston with inferior talent. Somehow the incongruity eludes you.

Once Rose and Noah were gone for the series they no longer had superior talent to Philly. You're acting like they lost to an 8 seed for no reason.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:42 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Bad choice of words.

Once Rose and Noah were gone for the series they no longer had superior talent to Philly. You're acting like they lost to an 8 seed for no reason.

That 8th seed was 38-44. You can't diss Hoiberg for losing to Boston without Rondo yet Give Thibs a pass for losing to Philly. Boston is better than the Bulls at full strength. Rondo is their 2nd best player and his loss was a death knell yet Hoiberg is to blame somehow. I bring up Thibs as a means of highlighting the inconsistency in the argument. It can be acceptable for one and not the other. And "bite me" to quote the great Walt with the Thibs gets a pass because of what he has accomplished stuff. He has taken the team to one conf finals and loss 4 straight after being the Number 1 seed.

The highlight of his playoff coaching career was defeating a dysfunctional underachieving N.J. team already on its 2nd coach that season. If Thibs was the coach everyone suggests he should have been able to beat a beatable Philly team.

David Blatt coached circles around him without the benefit of two all stars.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:44 pm 

long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Bad choice of words.

That 8th seed was 38-44. You can't diss Hoiberg for losing to Boston without Rondo yet Give Thibs a pass for losing to Philly. Boston is better than the Bulls at full strength. Rondo is their 2nd best player and his loss was a death knell yet Hoiberg is to blame somehow. I bring up Thibs as a means of highlighting the inconsistency in the argument. It can be acceptable for one and not the other. And "bite me" to quote the great Walt with the Thibs gets a pass because of what he has accomplished stuff. He has taken the team to one conf finals and loss 4 straight after being the Number 1 seed.

The highlight of his playoff coaching career was defeating a dysfunctional underachieving N.J. team already on its 2nd coach that season. If Thibs was the coach everyone suggests he should have been able to beat a beatable Philly team.

:lol:

Almost none of this is true.

And yeah, Rondo is probably the 2nd best player on the team. So why are you defending a coach who benched him for half the season for no reason? If Rondo plays all year the Bulls get 44-46 wins and are probably in the 2nd round right now.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:46 pm 

I don't think anyone is bashing Freddie Shine Box for losing to Boston. I personally bash Hoiberg because he's not HC material. Maybe offensive coordinator, but not HC.

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
long time guy wrote:

Did Thibs underachieve with Minnesota this year yeah or nay?

The players did

I'm out.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 1:53 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
long time guy wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:

Bad choice of words.

:lol:

Almost none of this is true.

And yeah, Rondo is probably the 2nd best player on the team. So why are you defending a coach who benched him for half the season for no reason? If Rondo plays all year the Bulls get 44-46 wins and are probably in the 2nd round right now.

:lol: The legend of Rondo's benching grows by the day. He wasn't bench for half a season. He was benched for 5 games and brought in with the 2nd unit for about 15-20. I think he benched Rondo because of an inability to mesh with Wade and Butler. I thought it at the time and I'm convinced of it now. Wade and Butler were dominating the ball and Rondo was being iced out. Benching him also helped him because it allowed him to get comfortable with the 2nd unit. When he came back Butler felt comfortable playing off him.

I know this doesn't apply to you because you are the biggest Rondo guy on the board. Don't you find it amusing the amount of outrage directed at Hoiberg for benching Rondo? I don't recall any of this at the time that he was actually benched.

Last edited by long time guy on Mon May 01, 2017 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 335 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next