It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blackhawks vs Jets 7pm
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
First game of the circus trip. I'll leave the particulars of the matchup to CH as this is one of his favorite cities and rosters to rundown. I know they have some kid with a lot of points.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:50 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Well, star defenseman Jacob Trouba held out of camp because he demanded a trade, then gave in and signed for two years with the Jets anyway. Bitch.

Patrik Laine has 11 and 5 in 17 games, including two hat tricks. Damn, dude. #1 center Mark Scheifele is at 10 and 10. Ehlers and Wheeler are producing as well, but production drops off a cliff after those four. Kyle Connor was supposed to be a breakout star alongside Laine but has stalled out, and Bryan Little was severely injured in the first game of the year, giving them a huge hole at #2C. They'd be doing better at full strength but all told they're not doing that poorly.

In goal, they finally demoted Pavelec to the AHL, but Connor Hellebuyck has been struggling at 2.70 and .908, which is about where you want your backup to be these days, but non-satisfactory for a #1.

The Jets' undoing under Paul Maurice had been putting themselves shorthanded and that appears to be an issue this year as well, being 7th in the league with 68 minors and 8th in the league with 11:03 infraction minutes per game. As I was looking into Subban's penalty numbers last week, I noticed that one of the other big offenders is none other than Dustin Byfuglien, already at 19 in 17 and perennially a league leader among defensemen. Dude couldn't stay out of the box if you lined it with kale.

This feels like one of those games where the Hawks' heads won't be entirely in the right place to start and they get pounced on early. With the Jets' goaltending being shaky, the Hawks could still come back, but I think you're going to see Laine or Ehlers undress someone. The Jets are playing "Jump" by Van Halen after goals again, which is awesome, because if any town on the circuit should be stuck in the marriage of hockey and '80s rock, it has to be Winnipeg!

Winnipeg's finest songwriter John K. Samson has a new album out called Winter Wheat and it's challenging Radiohead for my favorite album of the year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7b3Mrt ... FUoLdynMEk

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I'm still disappointed that Curious Hair doesn't do the song-inspired threads anymore. This would have been a perfect time for a BTO Takin Care of Business or You Aint Seen Nothing Yet.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Does Winnipeg still feature the odd camera angle and/or ice? Or was that Cal Gary?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:59 pm 

redskingreg wrote:
Does Winnipeg still feature the odd camera angle and/or ice? Or was that Cal Gary?

That was Edmonton, and no, they do not. Their new arena features normally lit ice and camera on the penalty-box side of the ice.

spmack wrote:
I'm still disappointed that Curious Hair doesn't do the song-inspired threads anymore. This would have been a perfect time for a BTO Takin Care of Business or You Aint Seen Nothing Yet.

It just would have been Weakerthans/John K. Samson, one of my favorite bands. On the heels of the new album and the Horror, I'd have had to go with "We know this world is good enough because it has to be."

I think the 72-96 Jets used "Takin' Care of Business" as their goal song at some point. Also, Winnipeg's equivalent of the Chicago Theatre is the Burton Cummings Theatre. I wish that were a joke.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Curious Hair wrote:
Well, star defenseman Jacob Trouba held out of camp because he demanded a trade, then gave in and signed for two years with the Jets anyway. Bitch.

Patrik Laine has 11 and 5 in 17 games, including two hat tricks. Damn, dude. #1 center Mark Scheifele is at 10 and 10. Ehlers and Wheeler are producing as well, but production drops off a cliff after those four. Kyle Connor was supposed to be a breakout star alongside Laine but has stalled out, and Bryan Little was severely injured in the first game of the year, giving them a huge hole at #2C. They'd be doing better at full strength but all told they're not doing that poorly.

In goal, they finally demoted Pavelec to the AHL, but Connor Hellebuyck has been struggling at 2.70 and .908, which is about where you want your backup to be these days, but non-satisfactory for a #1.

The Jets' undoing under Paul Maurice had been putting themselves shorthanded and that appears to be an issue this year as well, being 7th in the league with 68 minors and 8th in the league with 11:03 infraction minutes per game. As I was looking into Subban's penalty numbers last week, I noticed that one of the other big offenders is none other than Dustin Byfuglien, already at 19 in 17 and perennially a league leader among defensemen. Dude couldn't stay out of the box if you lined it with kale.

This feels like one of those games where the Hawks' heads won't be entirely in the right place to start and they get pounced on early. With the Jets' goaltending being shaky, the Hawks could still come back, but I think you're going to see Laine or Ehlers undress someone. The Jets are playing "Jump" by Van Halen after goals again, which is awesome, because if any town on the circuit should be stuck in the marriage of hockey and '80s rock, it has to be Winnipeg!

Winnipeg's finest songwriter John K. Samson has a new album out called Winter Wheat and it's challenging Radiohead for my favorite album of the year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7b3Mrt ... FUoLdynMEk

Nice write up, but please make the following 2 changes:

1. Never refer to Jacob Trouba as a star
2. Conner was just placed on IR with an upper body

That means no Michigan reunion tonight between former linemates Motte and Conner unless that reunion happens in a doctor's waiting room. The other member of the best line in college hockey last year, Northbrook native Compher, is probably in the AHL right now, not sure what team even owns him now..want to say Colorado?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:30 pm 

Heeeey what's your beef with Trouba? He's been really good for the Jets the last couple years, probably one of the best players out of his draft class behind Forsberg and Galchenyuk. Though to be fair, 2012 was a lousy class. Good thing all the Hawks' picks were a year prior.

And yeah, Compher is playing for San Antonio in the Avs' system.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Did I hear that correctly the other day...The Hawks are the only team in the league to score 2 or more goals in every game so far this season?

(of course, now they'll probably get shut out)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:20 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Heeeey what's your beef with Trouba? He's been really good for the Jets the last couple years, probably one of the best players out of his draft class behind Forsberg and Galchenyuk. Though to be fair, 2012 was a lousy class. Good thing all the Hawks' picks were a year prior.

And yeah, Compher is playing for San Antonio in the Avs' system.

Trouba is still living off his draft year hype. He's been pretty bad defensively and not as good offensively as he showed in the World Juniors. He's so bad he demanded a trade this summer cause the Jets have better players ahead of him on the depth chart and they want him to play his opposite side...so he demanded a trade instead.

Also, you missed alot of players better than him from that 2012 draft class. IN fact, you missed the best player in that draft, d man Lindholm. Other players better than Trouba include Murray and Riley on defense, possibly Dumba too at this point. Up front you got the 2 you mentioned plus Hertl. I'd also throw Vasilevskiy in that group that's better than Trouba.

But you are right, 2012 draft was pretty brutal.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:27 pm 

One of Sam Fels's emotionally fragile ladyfriends wrote the Not Committed Indian preview today and it's nothing but screeching about how the Winnipeg Jets don't observe the history of the Atlanta Thrashers. Also appears to have once tweeted this:

Quote:
Krista
‏@lechatsavant
.@BigLots Speaking as a mentally ill person, your Christmas commercial with the line "I went crazy but in a good way" is really offensive

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:32 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
One of Sam Fels's emotionally fragile ladyfriends wrote the Not Committed Indian preview today and it's nothing but screeching about how the Winnipeg Jets don't observe the history of the Atlanta Thrashers. Also appears to have once tweeted this:

Quote:
Krista
‏@lechatsavant
.@BigLots Speaking as a mentally ill person, your Christmas commercial with the line "I went crazy but in a good way" is really offensive

:facepalm:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Curious Hair wrote:

Quote:
Krista
‏@lechatsavant

You know what? Fuck. Fuck this "everything is offensive" bullshit. Fels and Stink are as bad as Cocksucker Bernstain and that bitch DiCaro. Fuck. I've fucking had it with this soft bullshit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:34 pm 

The Avs reinstated the Nordiques' retired numbers from day one and no one sheds a tear. This whole "Canadian teams are Actually Bad" movement needs to die.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:37 pm 

Wow...just skimmed through her rant...no, she's not bitter...

She fits right in with McClure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:37 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
Wow...just skimmed through her rant...no, she's not bitter...

She fits right in with McClure.

Yep

Completely braindead.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:41 pm 

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Americas ... akes-stock

Quote:
Last year, Winnipeg got slapped with a moniker it most definitely did not want: Canada’s most racist city.

According to the influential Maclean’s magazine, the “Chicago of the North” badly neglected and abused its aboriginal population, who were constantly on the receiving end not only of slurs and taunts but also of poor policing and appallingly inferior public services.

WTF?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:51 pm 

The NHL should have handled this close to the way the NFL did the Browns: say the Winnipeg Jets went dormant in 1996, the Phoenix Coyotes are a new organization, the Atlanta Thrashers went dormant in 2011, and the Winnipeg Jets went active again in 2011. History and old-timers games and throwbacks are for the fans -- your customers. Legally speaking, the NHL half-did this: the Jets own all the old Jets logos and sweater designs, the Coyotes do not, but the Jets don't own any of that for the Thrashers, which was retained by the Atlanta ownership to do who-knows-what with. The Jets' on-ice records, however, belong to the Coyotes. But no one in Phoenix gives a shit about Teemu Selanne or Dale Hawerchuk or Thomas Steen. No one in Winnipeg gives a shit about Dany Heatley or Ilya Kovalchuk. Ownership didn't move with the Thrashers. That may as well have been a team that just plain went out of business and then TNSE bought up their old roster to fill theirs out instead of an expansion draft.

If you go around bothering Winnipeg hockey fans about how they can't fondly remember Teemu Selanne, a thing they've all been doing up there for twenty fucking years, and tell them they actually have to fondly remember Garnet fucking Exelby, then you really are as mentally ill as you tell an excess-merchandise retailer you are.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:54 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Quote:
Krista
‏@lechatsavant

You know what? Fuck. Fuck this "everything is offensive" bullshit. Fels and Stink are as bad as Cocksucker Bernstain and that bitch DiCaro. Fuck. I've fucking had it with this soft bullshit.

Say hello to our white knight in shining armor, President Trump! He's gonna take the PC movement and set it back to the sticks and stones days. Gonna be an awesome 4 years!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:00 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
The NHL should have handled this close to the way the NFL did the Browns: say the Winnipeg Jets went dormant in 1996, the Phoenix Coyotes are a new organization, the Atlanta Thrashers went dormant in 2011, and the Winnipeg Jets went active again in 2011. History and old-timers games and throwbacks are for the fans -- your customers. Legally speaking, the NHL half-did this: the Jets own all the old Jets logos and sweater designs, the Coyotes do not, but the Jets don't own any of that for the Thrashers, which was retained by the Atlanta ownership to do who-knows-what with. The Jets' on-ice records, however, belong to the Coyotes. But no one in Phoenix gives a shit about Teemu Selanne or Dale Hawerchuk or Thomas Steen. No one in Winnipeg gives a shit about Dany Heatley or Ilya Kovalchuk. Ownership didn't move with the Thrashers. That may as well have been a team that just plain went out of business and then TNSE bought up their old roster to fill theirs out instead of an expansion draft.

If you go around bothering Winnipeg hockey fans about how they can't fondly remember Teemu Selanne, a thing they've all been doing up there for twenty fucking years, and tell them they actually have to fondly remember Garnet fucking Exelby, then you really are as mentally ill as you tell an excess-merchandise retailer you are.

Agree 100%.

When a team leaves a city they should change names and start anew with all new records etc. When a city that lost a team gets a new team it should be their option to change the name of that team to the name of the old team they lost and they should be allowed to count those old records as part of their new team's history. The Jets were smart. The Minnesota Wild were idiots. They should've called that team the North Stars from the get go. I have a friend from Wisconsin who was NOrthStars fan. Now he's a Dallas fan, not a Wild fan. I asked him if the Wild came in as the North Stars instead of the Wild would've he have switched allegiences from Dallas back to Minny and he said he would have.

In the NBA, they corrected a mistake when they took the Hornets name away from New Orleans and gave it back to Charlotte.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:02 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Americas/2016/0212/Canada-s-most-racist-city-A-year-later-Winnipeg-takes-stock

Quote:
Last year, Winnipeg got slapped with a moniker it most definitely did not want: Canada’s most racist city.

According to the influential Maclean’s magazine, the “Chicago of the North” badly neglected and abused its aboriginal population, who were constantly on the receiving end not only of slurs and taunts but also of poor policing and appallingly inferior public services.

WTF?

Winnipeg was at one point equivalent to Chicago in the sense of being a major trade center for the West and railroad hub. Culturally, Manitoba has the most in common with Minnesota, obviously, but if Winnipeg is the anywhere of the north, it's Rockford: small, insular, post-industrial, its best days long gone. Most similarly, it's the kind of place where everyone hates it and wants to get out but they'll defend it to the death if anyone from outside says the same things they say inside.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Quote:
Krista
‏@lechatsavant

You've amped up your disdain for the politically correct world in which we find ourselves in. And it suits you well. Keep up the fine posting as your vitriol fuels the CFMB the way cocaine and bottle service keeps a young investment banker working 100+ hour weeks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:14 pm 

denisdman wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Quote:
Krista
‏@lechatsavant

You've amped up your disdain for the politically correct world in which we find ourselves in. And it suits you well. Keep up the fine posting as your vitriol fuels the CFMB the way cocaine and bottle service keeps a young investment banker working 100+ hour weeks.

I'm just fucking sick of this social justice warrior bullshit. I don't hate. But, honestly, I can't stand these fucking people and their ilk. I have family who post this same shit on Facebook. Unfortunately, there is no room in this world for a moderate, so I'm making my own by shitting on the extremes of both sides.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
You want me to send you that social emotional learning calm down exercise again?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:19 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
You want me to send you that social emotional learning calm down exercise again?

That won't help.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Spaulding wrote:

Send booze. And frankly I want Boyd fired up like this early and often. He is dead on and knocking them mother fuckers out of the park left and right.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
That's not what the gov is teaching our kids they should do.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:38 pm 

Boyd needs a cookie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:48 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
denisdman wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Quote:
Krista
‏@lechatsavant

I'm just fucking sick of this social justice warrior bullshit. I don't hate. But, honestly, I can't stand these fucking people and their ilk. I have family who post this same shit on Facebook. Unfortunately, there is no room in this world for a moderate, so I'm making my own by shitting on the extremes of both sides.

You swear too much

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:14 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
That's not what the gov is teaching our kids they should do.

And that's half the problem right fucking there. These soft, candy ass liberals get in there and everyone works on their feelings. Fuck. No fucking accountability. Everyone gets a participation ribbon and a nut free, gluten free, taste free snack.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:17 pm 

And the other half waive their fucking bible in my face and yell Jesus this, and god that, and fuck them too