It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Coach Q Gone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
denisdman wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
No one wants to use the "R" word but this team is entering a rebuild. It would be better if they just admitted it and started moving guys like Crow (who would actually bring back value)

We will see what happens in the middle of February. If Crawford is healthy and the team is obviously out of it, I would expect to see him get moved. They can give Delia a shot if they think he's ready and that the defense won't get him killed, or else they can make Cam Ward stand back there.

I'm not sure what other decent deadline pieces they have. It's not like anybody's going to take 7, and they'll never trade 2, 19 or 88.

The current roster can only work if Schmaltz the Cat and the rest of the young guys takes leaps in their development. Kane remains great, while Toews, Keith, and Seabrook are in managed decline.

I am not sure they can overcome these bad contracts. Crow has, I think 1 more year. By then you have to find another goalie and pay Debrincat.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:05 pm 

Today shows why I'm a Golden Knights fan now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

They are actually off to a worse start than the Hawks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:18 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
denisdman wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
on the bright side, at least Forsling will be free from the hell Q has put him through the last 2 years.

Yes exactly. That is really why Q is gone. He just wouldn't play guys that need consistent ice time to see what we have. If all these young guys suck, then we are losing anyway.

Jokiharju has led defensemen in ice time.

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

So you're saying William Karlsson can't shoot 40% forever.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Fucking Lispy would have 0 rings without Dale Tallon. That is the real architect of the dynasty, not the fucking member of the lucky sperm club.

There was no one architect. Even Mike Smith had a role in this.

True, #2 and #7 are his

#50 is his as well.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:34 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
No one wants to use the "R" word but this team is entering a rebuild. It would be better if they just admitted it and started moving guys like Crow (who would actually bring back value)

Yep. If Crawford shows no signs of relapse, trade for an expiring contract of similar value and draft picks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:38 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

We will see what happens in the middle of February. If Crawford is healthy and the team is obviously out of it, I would expect to see him get moved. They can give Delia a shot if they think he's ready and that the defense won't get him killed, or else they can make Cam Ward stand back there.

I'm not sure what other decent deadline pieces they have. It's not like anybody's going to take 7, and they'll never trade 2, 19 or 88.

Anisimov for anything.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:45 pm 

At this point...no one is untouchable. I don’t want the Hawks go through what Detroit has been going through. Accelerate the suckage.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:50 pm 

koach klaus wrote:
At this point...no one is untouchable. I don’t want the Hawks go through what Detroit has been going through. Accelerate the suckage.

Good point on the Detroit parallel.
Kane would be the only one I would hold on to unless I'm offered a knockout deal. He has the type of game that makes everyone around him better and the savvy to create opportunities.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I think there is some thought that they need to take some time to actually see what they do have without Q.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:52 pm 

pittmike wrote:
I think there is some thought that they need to take some time to actually see what they do have without Q.

First moves are healthy scratching Kunitz and Manning for the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:20 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Are we going to win the Stanley Championship?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:04 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
The reality is that this is one of the few, easy moves the Hawks could make that has an impact on this season. The team could receive a jump start just by hearing a new voice in the room and some changes to team philosophy. It puts players on edge and lets others out of the doghouse. Players who were not "Q guys" can get a fresh start as well.

It goes without saying that Q was a very good coach that led the team through its most successful stretch in history but let's not forget that all 3 Cup winners had absolutely loaded, elite talent and deep rosters overall. He had 3 HOFers in their prime and Hossa who was close to his prime. Add in a top 10 goaler for the last 2 Cups and it wasn't as if Quennvile led the Hawks on any improbable Cup runs. I'll always give more credit to the players for the Cup wins and contend that a number of NHL coaches would have gotten the same results with the Hawks roster. But make no mistake, Q is a HOF coach who has accumulated historic win totals but he also directed the Hawks to four first round exits including the historic sweep of the #1 seeded Hawks by the #8 seeded Preds.

Is a new coach the answer? Probably not. This team's defense is dreadful and the overall depth is lacking to the point that they'd need a Vezina-quality performance from Crawford to make the playoffs. Yes, Bowman should be fired as well but doing that now does very little to change the season's outlook compared to what changing the coach could do. There are all sorts of examples of coaching changes leading to team surges. Not sure about a GM change triggering a major winning streak.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:56 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
You know what...I don't like this. I don't like this one bit!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Quote:
Before signing with the Blackhawks, Marian Hossa knew of Joel Quenneville like most players know of coaches around the NHL.

Hossa had played against Quenneville’s teams and knew of him from what he had heard around the league. Outside of that, Hossa didn’t have any connection to Quenneville. Even when Hossa was negotiating a 12-year contract with the Blackhawks during the 2009 offseason, his decision was based more on the conversations he had with the organization’s management and where Hossa saw the team going than the coach.

And then Hossa finally met Quenneville.

“I remember the one thing when I signed, the summer when I came to Chicago to sign the contract and we met with Joel, I think it was our first convention,” Hossa said by phone from Slovakia on Thursday. “He told me, ‘Hoss, we’re going to have lots of fun in here, so enjoy it.’ That’s how he was.”

From there, Quenneville differentiated himself from every coach Hossa had ever played for. Hossa spent eight of his 19 NHL seasons with the Blackhawks — the stretch of his career he’ll always consider his favorite, not only because of the three Stanley Cups, but also because of Quenneville.

“I definitely had a few coaches during my career, and I can say Joel was the best,” Hossa said. “I liked him the most from the coaching. I like his style, I like how he treated the players with respect. I like his style of his coaching. Obviously it helped when we won three championships together. Lots of great memories with Joel, and he was my best coach.”

Like many, Hossa was surprised by the news Tuesday that Quenneville had been fired by the Blackhawks. At the same time, Hossa has been around long enough to realize anything can happen.

“In this business, you prepare for everything,” Hossa said. “You expect everything. Everybody knew nobody lasts forever. Obviously Joel was a huge part of the winning culture in Chicago, so you were like everybody, shocked that this happened to the second-best coach in the National Hockey League. That’s the hard part of the business.”

Following the business portion of Hossa’s arrival to the Blackhawks in 2009, it didn’t take long for him and Quenneville to get on the same page. Hossa played the game from end to end exactly how Quenneville dreamed all of his players would play. After Hossa announced he was going to sit out the 2017-18 season due to a skin condition, Quenneville described losing “17 minutes of playing the right way.”

For Hossa, Quenneville’s confidence in him went a long way.

“I think he trusted me,” Hossa said. “I believe he knew he could use me in any different situation. He knew I was prepared for every game. I think he trusted me with lots of different situations.”

The one time Hossa questioned that trust was during the 2013 Stanley Cup Final. Hossa sat out Game 3 of the series against the Boston Bruins due to a back injury. Hossa was bothered by the injury the rest of the series and was especially struggling during Game 6.

Hossa wasn’t sure if he was actually helping the Blackhawks by being on the ice. But he also didn’t want to let anyone down. If Quenneville was going to call his name, he was going to jump over the boards.

“I couldn’t play one of the games because I had a really bad back and couldn’t feel my leg when they shot me in the back,” Hossa said. “Basically, I couldn’t play one of the games. After that, I played on one leg and felt like terrible because I wasn’t good enough. Just in my head, ‘This is not me. Why Joel using me to play hockey game?’

“He knew he needed me for some reason. I didn’t understand why because I’m only like 60 percent when I can be because of my back. He knew and used me when he needed me.”

The Blackhawks clinched the series by taking Game 6 in dramatic fashion in Boston. Hossa played 24 shifts and 17:19 of ice time in that game. After the team’s celebration on the ice, he and Quenneville shared a moment off the ice and Quenneville explained why he continued to play him as he did.

“After, he told me like, ‘Hoss, I needed you even though I knew you couldn’t play full 100 percent,’” Hossa said. “Then I sprayed a full champagne on him and his suit and I know we had a good laugh. I think we had a great picture in that coaching room. Lots of good memories.”

Marian Hossa and Joel Quenneville won three Stanley Cups together. Hossa will also never forget just how excited Quenneville would get after wins. They won a lot together, and there was a lot of high-fiving.

“When he was winning, when he was giving guys high-fiving inside the room right after the hockey game, he was so pumped,” Hossa said. “It was just fun to see coaches being pumped like that. He loved to win hockey games definitely.”

Part of Quenneville’s recipe to winning games was his ability to push his players when it was called for and let up when needed. Hossa reiterated Quenneville’s reputation as a players’ coach.

“He played over 400 or 600 NHL hockey games, right?” Hossa said. “So he knew how the players feel in certain situations. I think he had a feel when it was the right time to give a day off. He knew when it was the right time to have a practice just 20 minutes. You appreciated those things when you’re a player and you travel that much and have so many practices. Sometimes giving guys an off day is more beneficial than just over-skating them or back skate them and have a game the next day. He knew when to use those things to an advantage, and the team responded well most of the times. That was a great combination.”

In Hossa’s individual case, Quenneville was aware of his skin allergy and knew it acted up when he put on his hockey equipment. Quenneville didn’t want Hossa to endure more than he had to.

“He was great at the end of my career when he gave me freedom with the practice or not the practices because of my skin condition,” Hossa said. “He totally understands. He told me, ‘When the situation was bad, Hoss, I don’t need you to practice. I just need you for the games.’ He was great about it.”

Hossa said he hadn’t spoken to Quenneville since Tuesday’s news, but he planned to in the near future. He wanted to give Quenneville his space.

“You know what? I will,” Hossa said. “I know when the craziness goes on you get traded or something happens everybody calls you right away. The last thing you want to do is talk to everybody at once and right away, so I want to wait a couple days and I’m going to reach out to him definitely when he’s more relaxed after everything, when he’s got more time to talk. Sometimes it’s better that way because you have better and longer talk with somebody.”

When they do talk, they may discuss whether Quenneville plans to coach again. To Hossa, Quenneville has to do whatever his body and mind tell him to do.

“It’s up to him,” Hossa said. “I think it’s important either when there’s a coach when he’s older or a player when he’s older, if he still has a drive, I think it’s really, really important. If he does, I hope he coaches because for some reason he’s in the second spot with the winning all time. That’s unreal. If he doesn’t, he deserves to enjoy the retirement because he did so much for the hockey, the players he coached. It’s just up to Joel.”

Whichever way Quenneville goes, Hossa wishes him the best. Hossa doesn’t believe his career would be the same without him. In their first face-to-face meeting, Quenneville promised lots of fun, and that’s what they had together.

“We did have lots of fun,” Hossa said. “We won a lot of hockey games. Going to be with Joel, lots of great memories.”

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:19 am 

Yeo, just got fired in St Louis. Does Q make the move?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:02 am 

Gotta believe he'd hold out for a group of players that's a little less coach-killery. I'd love to see what he could do with a Jets team that's not tearing up the league the way it was supposed to, though I doubt Cheveldayoff has the balls to fire Paul Maurice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
GoldenJet wrote:

Hawks are paying him $6M to do nothing. That goes away if he takes the Blues job.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:17 pm 

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Hawks are paying him $6M to do nothing. That goes away if he takes the Blues job.

Right.

Back to tailgating and concerts for Q.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:39 pm 

It doesn't go away, he's guaranteed that money and whatever a new team pays him is deducted from what the Hawks still owe him. But it's better to sit at home and get paid for nothing than it is to coach the St. Louis Blues.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:58 am 

Coach Q is back!

Your new head coach of the Florida Panthers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:52 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
should have made tallon take seabrook too... he woulda done it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
billypootons wrote:
should have made tallon take seabrook too... he woulda done it.

:lol: at Billy. Nice retirement job for Q.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:47 am 

Quenneville isn't gonna make Barkov and Ekblad stop getting hurt all the time, but it's still a pretty good situation for him. Should be great news for the 5,000 or so die-hard Panthers fans in suburban South Florida.

But I do think it's interesting that the Panthers always seem strapped for cash, letting Las Vegas taking Reilly Smith and Jonathan Marchessault for nothing so the Panthers wouldn't have to pay them, but somehow they found $30MM under the couch cushions for a coach who's not just on the back nine but possibly the 17th hole. The revenue-sharing checks must have been extra-big this year, you're welcome.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
Nice place for him to wind down, going from Cup or bust to every year to the most pressure-free job in the league besides maybe Arizona. And from Illinois taxes to Florida's lack thereof.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:14 pm 

You gotta laugh: does any other league have such a disparity between high-pressure and low-pressure jobs? I'm trying to imagine Mike Tomlin winding up in Jacksonville and everyone going "wow, great move for Tomlin, this will allow him to half-ass his job without anybody caring very much."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
It really doesn't exist in other sports, no. Babcock is under more pressure than Premier League soccer managers, meanwhile the Coyotes and Panthers jobs are like working vacations.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:16 pm 

I never knew about the events leading up to Q being fired with his nephew.

Fucking awful from Stan and Co.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:03 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Stan and Co are indeed awful but that’s a weak ass complaint. Fire him or don’t, waiting a few days or a week doesn’t matter.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:37 am 

KDdidit wrote:
Stan and Co are indeed awful but that’s a weak ass complaint. Fire him or don’t, waiting a few days or a week doesn’t matter.

I think the biggest issue is he was set up to fail with the roster he was given and Stan wanted his fall guy. Somehow despite having zero success in the 3 years that followed, Stan is still running the ship and that's with a major scandal that should have him banned from the game on top of it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next