It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:46 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I guess we're starting to see the trickle-down of interest in the quasi-dynastic Blackhawks, because I think Illinois finally passed Pennsylvania in people signed up with USA Hockey. From what I understand, Minnesota's numbers are lower than they should be (but still forever safely in first place) because the high school leagues aren't affiliated with USA Hockey so not everyone gets counted or something? I don't know. Here's the list for 2015-2016:

Minnesota 57107
Michigan 50022
New York 49921
Massachusetts 49067
Illinois 31558
Pennsylvania* 30799
California 28296
New Jersey 18978
Wisconsin 18529
Ohio 14954
Colorado 13777
Texas 13384
Florida 13276
Connecticut 13175
Virginia 10291
Maryland 9588
Washington 9015
Alaska 8755
Arizona 7510
Missouri 7284
North Carolina 6730
Maine 6688
North Dakota 6461
Indiana 6371
New Hampshire 6000
Vermont 4618
Montana 4583
Rhode Island 4535
Utah 4144
Tennessee 3662
Iowa 3603
Idaho 3372
South Dakota 2933
Oregon 2647
Georgia 2080
Wyoming 2055
Nebraska 1931
South Carolina 1914
Kentucky 1611
Alabama 1564
Kansas 1546
New Mexico 1373
Nevada 1305
District of Columbia 1159
West Virginia 1134
Oklahoma 1113
Delaware 949
Louisiana 511
Arkansas 421
Mississippi 242
Hawaii 22

*USA Hockey divides Pennsylvania into Western and Eastern, where it's 16,930 and 13,869, respectively, go Pens.

Virginia having more players than Maryland mildly surprised me given how much of Virginia is outside the BosWash corridor (viz., virtually all of it) but it goes with my theory that Capitals fans tend to be in Northern Virginia while Maryland leans toward the Wizards.

Nevada has goddamn no one playing hockey but the NHL can't wait to get into Las Vegas. Meanwhile, Wisconsin, Washington, and Connecticut will be told to fuck off forever. That's our league.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Looking forward to the Bernstein then Baffoe column on this . Thats a lot of families who are "part of the problem".

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
What about unregistered hockey players? What about the ice show loophole? Face it America, we have a hockey player obsession and without stricter hockey control you're going to keep seeing icing (what is icing? Don't tell me I'll forget) and offsides.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:55 am 

It cracks me up that Hawaii even bothers.

Arizona passing Missouri is a little embarrassing for Missouri. I know hockey interest in Missouri is severely limited, giving way to high school basketball and varmint-shootin' slightly west of St. Charles County, but still, come on, Arizona.

America wrote:
(what is icing? Don't tell me I'll forget)

A simple and intuitive rule that nevertheless, hockey fans cannot explain to non-fans without sounding like drunken copyright lawyers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
This reminds me, my USA Hockey registration needs renewal.

Laughably I'm moving from a decent hockey state to one with under 1,000 players in the next year. I guess I can bumslay

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:41 am 

Boy, do I hope it's Louisiana or Hawaii.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
America wrote:
what is icing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7sm5mbt9w4

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Curious Hair wrote:
I guess we're starting to see the trickle-down of interest in the quasi-dynastic Blackhawks, because I think Illinois finally passed Pennsylvania in people signed up with USA Hockey. From what I understand, Minnesota's numbers are lower than they should be (but still forever safely in first place) because the high school leagues aren't affiliated with USA Hockey so not everyone gets counted or something? I don't know. Here's the list for 2015-2016:

Minnesota 57107
Michigan 50022
New York 49921
Massachusetts 49067
Illinois 31558
Pennsylvania* 30799
California 28296
New Jersey 18978
Wisconsin 18529

Nevada has goddamn no one playing hockey but the NHL can't wait to get into Las Vegas. Meanwhile, Wisconsin, Washington, and Connecticut will be told to fuck off forever. That's our league.

I think the chances are slim to none for Wisconsin to get an NHL franchise but with the Bucks getting a new stadium by 2018-19 I would say that an
actual case could probably at least be made for one. They have the Admirals of the AHL but I highly doubt they draw very well, probably even less
than the Wolves. Badgers hockey is relatively popular up here.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:03 pm 

The Admirals recently moved back to the MECCA because Bucks ownership doesn't want an NHL team sharing their new arena. The Bradley Center already dismantled its ice plant. I caught a couple minutes of Wolves-Ads the other night and was pleasantly surprised by the new setup. It does seem more right-sized for them than the Bradley Center was, which was built for an NHL team that never came.

If Milwaukee had gotten an NHL team before, which they should have (think the 98-99 slot that went to Nashville), it probably would have overstressed the market and sent the Bucks out when things got rough. It'd be just as well, because Milwaukee would more appreciate a team that's pretty good every year over one that's pretty bad every year. Plus basketball in Wisconsin is oversaturated to begin with between Madison, Marquette, and kinda-sorta UWM, and there are lots of hoops fans who love college basketball but for some reason I can't put a finger on, don't care quite as much for the NBA! How about that, Douchebag?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I've never been to an NHL game. Been to a Wolves game back in the mid-90s when they were the new and hot thing to do.
As for the Bucks I was just talking to a buddy about going to a game one more time at the Bradley Center. I'm convinced that
it isn't worth going to see a game unless I am in the lower bowl and I can't sit behind a basket. The ticket is going to be a little
spendy but I've sat in about the 20th row even with the free throw line a few times and I just love to watch a good NBA game.
Need to see the Greek Freak and getting tickets at the new stadium are going to be a tough get at first. I would agree with you
that where the Admirals are at now appears to be a perfect place for them.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Definitely seeing a trickle down effect from the Hawks. My brother coaches at Highland Park High School. This year they had to put together 3 JV teams because they had so many freshman trying out. These are 14 year olds who were around 6-8 years old when the Hawks won their first Cup, perfect time to start someone in hockey.

Other high schools also have multiple varsity and JV teams when in the past they just had 1 of each.

On the other end of the spectrum, ever since the Hawks there has been an explosion in new adult players picking up the sport for the first time. MANY rinks have adult novice programs and adult rec leagues designed for new players.