It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Offseason
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:35 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hope you're ready to be a bomb-ass shutdown center, Tanner Kero!

Is there anything coming back in this trade but the cap space? I know Kruger ain't what he used to be and TVR, as per Big Chief Sits-to-Pee Matt McClure, is everything wrong with the game of hockey, but neither one is at such Bickell-level negative value that all we get for one is not having to have the other.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
If it helps us sign Panarin and keep Crawford I'm all for it.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:39 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I assume it is just for space. Last I heard we are signing yet another young European defense man.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Rumors are the cap will not change, putting the Hawks several million over the cap. Need to cut where they can. TVR and Kruger probably not enough. Someone else will probably need to go, too.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:45 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Rumors are the cap will not change, putting the Hawks several million over the cap. Need to cut where they can. TVR and Kruger probably not enough. Someone else will probably need to go, too.

Motherfucker. Peg the Canadian dollar to the US dollar so this shit stops happening.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:57 pm 

There’s little need to mince words here. If the NHL salary cap holds steady at $73 million for the 2017-18 season, as deputy commissioner Bill Daly said is possible Monday, then the Chicago Blackhawks are in big trouble. Yes, they’ll still find a way to ice a team next season, but you may not like what they’ll be required to do to achieve it.

Right now, the Blackhawks have a total cap hit of $77.52 million for next season with a full roster and a $3.558 million cap overage, per Cap Friendly. Daly said that the cap could increase to as much as $77 million if the NHLPA uses its full five percent escalator clause, but that’s highly unlikely.

Last year, the cap only went up 2.2 percent from the previous season. Part of the tricky situation for the NHLPA is that salary cap increases have a negative impact on escrow. That’s a more complicated situation than I can detail here, but the succinct point is that the players have a downside to maxing the cap increase.

And it appears that with the Vegas Golden Knights providing more jobs and more available money to players this offseason, it’s possible they’ll vote for no increase in the salary cap and lower escrow.

If they matched last year’s 2.2 percent increase, the cap would go up to $74.6 million. Either way, it’s going to be an issue for the Blackhawks.

The reality is that trades will need to solve this issue. The Blackhawks are going to lose someone in the expansion draft, but most likely, that’s Trevor van Riemsdyk, who has a $825,000 cap hit. Marcus Kruger is the ideal expansion casualty for Chicago with a $3.08 million cap hit, but the odds aren’t great that Vegas will want him at that cost. According to The Athletic’s Scott Powers, the Hawks may need to attach a prospect or pick to Kruger in order to shed his whole contract.

Kruger has a partial no-trade clause on his contract starting with the 2017-18 season, so he can block trades to a list of seven teams starting on July 1. Presumably the Hawks will treat that as a soft deadline for making sure to get out of his deal before he can submit a block list.

But even after the Hawks move Kruger, which seems like a near-certainty at this point, they’ll still have more work to do to get under the cap. Moving Kruger and replacing him with someone on an ELC like Alex DeBrincat would only save the team a little over $2 million in cap space. They’d still be millions over the cap.

That means more trades are coming, whether you like it or not. Brent Seabrook seems like the ideal candidate, although his no-movement clause and onerous contract make it possible the Hawks can’t find a suitor. In that case, they may need to turn to someone with a partial no-trade clause (Corey Crawford, Niklas Hjalmarsson, Artemi Panarin). The loss to the Hawks’ roster would be significant, but it’s not like there’s an alternative to icing a team below the salary cap.

So it might be time to start admitting this offseason has greater urgency than we might’ve expected. The Blackhawks are already in a major cap crunch before the summer has even started, and with so many no-movement clauses, a difficult situation becomes even more trying.

The NHLPA hasn’t voted on the escalator clause yet, so it’s still possible they decide to increase the salary cap, even if it’s not by the full five percent. At this point, the Blackhawks will use any help they can get.

http://www.secondcityhockey.com/2017/5/ ... ree-agency

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:08 pm 

Time to empty out the remains of the Blackhawks bandwagon. Chicago has been dying not to care about this team/sport anymore and the opening has never been wider.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 7:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Falcos
I'll always love Brent Seabrook but holy shit that contract is BRUTAL!!!! You're getting murdered by the NMC. You probably need to go trade Panik as well and hope Rasmussen is ready to be Kruger.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I'm just going to roll my eyes every time someone says Seabrook is getting moved. His contract is awful and he has a NMC. Do you honestly think he's going to waive that NMC? You can want to trade him, but he's going nowhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Agreed on Seabrook's contract...no team is taking that bloated contract.

At this time, I have to agree with CH. The glory days are over. The hole is way too deep.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:08 pm 

Jon Toews is Captain Planet.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:10 am 

Quote:
(CBS) The Blackhawks have signed 26-year-old free-agent defenseman Jan Rutta, according to multiple reports.

Rutta was a headlining free agent on the international scene after playing for Pirati Chomutov in the Czech Republic last season. He had eight goals and 24 assists in 46 games last season.

Rutta, a native of the Czech Republic, signed a one-year deal, the Sun-Times reported.

The addition of Rutta comes as Blackhawks defensemen Johnny Oduya and Brian Campbell enter free agency. It’s also possible that Trevor van Riemsdyk could be nabbed in the expansion draft by Las Vegas.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
RFDC wrote:
Quote:
(CBS) The Blackhawks have signed 26-year-old free-agent defenseman Jan Rutta, according to multiple reports.

Rutta was a headlining free agent on the international scene after playing for Pirati Chomutov in the Czech Republic last season. He had eight goals and 24 assists in 46 games last season.

Rutta, a native of the Czech Republic, signed a one-year deal, the Sun-Times reported.

The addition of Rutta comes as Blackhawks defensemen Johnny Oduya and Brian Campbell enter free agency. It’s also possible that Trevor van Riemsdyk could be nabbed in the expansion draft by Las Vegas.

The rumor right now, TVR exposed in expansion draft as long as they trade for Kruger.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:53 pm 

Meanwhile, the Hawks have likely found their replacement for assistant coach Mike Kitchen in former NHL defenseman Ulf Samuelsson, a source said. Multiple reports said Samuelsson accepted the job.

The Tribune reported last month Samuelsson was the leading candidate to replace Kitchen. Samuelsson is a former NHL defenseman and should make head coach Joel Quenneville comfortable behind the bench after Bowman fired Kitchen, Quenneville's good friend, in April. It was a move that surprised and angered Quenneville.

But Quenneville will have familiarity with Samuelsson — he and Samuelsson were teammates with the Hartford Whalers for parts of six seasons from 1984-1990.

Samuelsson is likely to handle the duties Kitchen vacated, which includes overseeing the defensemen and the Hawks' penalty kill. A source added the Hawks may not be done adding to Quenneville's staff.

Samuelsson was most recently coach of the Charlotte Checkers, the AHL affiliate of the Hurricanes after he served as an assistant with the Rangers from 2013-16. He was also head coach of Modo Hockey in the Swedish Hockey League from 2011-13 and prior to that was an assistant with the Coyotes from 2006-11.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:44 pm 

Per Hockey cuck Jay Zawaski.

A core player is getting moved and it won't be Toews.....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:08 am 

Seabrook if they can swing it or Panarin/Anisimov if either is considered core. If it's somehow Hjalmarsson, forget about contending.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:56 am 

Nico Toscani wrote:
Per Hockey cuck Jay Zawaski.

A core player is getting moved and it won't be Toews.....

I don't think Zawaski has sources anymore (and all the other beat writers were quiet) which tells me someone was pulling his leg.

Would anyone be surprised if someone at the Hawks was just fucking with him given 670's relationship with the Hawks?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:39 pm 

Kruger to Vegas, which probably means TVR is also gone via expansion draft

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:49 pm 

Cuck Zawaski did say it would be a damaging short term move which means it could be Hjam which would suck. He is the best defensive d-man they have and still a pretty friendly contract. It really has to be Seabrook but if it was Anisimov I'd be ok. He can't play 82 games and can't win a draw. Pat Kane would almost have to play with Captain Planet full time then and every other center is a 4th liner.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:27 pm 

Stan Bowman better do something creative. It's now officially the offseason...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:03 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Something drastic has to happen....Kruger to Vegas hurts, but not what I'd call "drastic". My list of "drastic":
1. Toews
2. Kane
3. Crawford
4. Keith
5. Hammer
6. Seabrook

Out of these, I'd take Seabrook. Keith isn't much cap relief. The only argument I could see for Hammer is that his style of play it might be wise to sell high. Once he starts to decline it will be a fast decline. I don't buy this, but that's the only logic.

I don't see them dealing any of these guys. The "drastic" is Kruger.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:06 am 

I read Seabs wouldn't waive his clause to go to a Canadian team.

I think Hammer gets moved, Kruger, and TVR go. Johnny better pick his game up, and The Bread Man better pick up the playoff games and stop sucking there. This almost might be last year all over again. Are we just waiting for Hossa's contract to end? Toews as well?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
wdelaney72 wrote:
Something drastic has to happen....Kruger to Vegas hurts, but not what I'd call "drastic". My list of "drastic":
1. Kane
2. Hammer
3. Crawford
4. Keith
5. Toews
6. Seabrook

More like it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:43 am 

I cannot stress enough how much you can't trade Hjalmarsson.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Curious Hair wrote:

Well unless you get Towes to say he wants to play out his days in Winnipeg or Hossa to say he wants Vegas or Phoenix you are limited.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:47 am 

pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Well unless you get Towes to say he wants to play out his days in Winnipeg or Hossa to say he wants Vegas or Phoenix you are limited.

Hossa aint gonna happen because of the recapture aspect.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:50 am 

Panarin or Anisimov can go if someone has to, and I believe both make more than Hjalmarsson, who prevents more goals against than any other skater. If I thought he were just any old meatbag who can get hit by shots so they don't go in, I'd say anyone in Rockford could do it, but his defensive abilities go way beyond the blocks. He's indispensable to what the Hawks do, he's a bargain at that, and nothing you'd get in return would be as good as keeping him. Forget about playoffs if he's gone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Time to plant some coke on Seabs and terminate his contract.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Curious Hair wrote:
Panarin or Anisimov can go if someone has to, and I believe both make more than Hjalmarsson, who prevents more goals against than any other skater. If I thought he were just any old meatbag who can get hit by shots so they don't go in, I'd say anyone in Rockford could do it, but his defensive abilities go way beyond the blocks. He's indispensable to what the Hawks do, he's a bargain at that, and nothing you'd get in return would be as good as keeping him. Forget about playoffs if he's gone.

Yup, although I think his career arc may have peaked - he's getting older, and all of those rockets he takes off the lower legs can't be helping any.

I have a feeling that the cap issue is going to be huge from the owners' side come the next CBA. I mean, over 1/3 of the teams are in cap hell, which I guess is currently the cost of doing business for teams that actually want to compete. Bettman's lust for league parity is going to cost the league in the long run, although his defense may be the higher Cup Final ratings over last year.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I'd think you'd get back more for panarin than anisimov but maybe not. Both would free up cap space and Panarin is gone in two years any ways as the cap situation is years away from stabilizing without serious movement of the long term high dollar contracts. That Seabs contract is just brutal. It goes on forever.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next