It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2017 Offseason
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:05 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Different types of game but after being optimistic about Andrew Brunette and Brad Richards....no thank you on Sharpie.

Old blood guys like Hoss and Jagr being contributors are the exception.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:26 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
wdelaney72 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:
Losing Hammer hurts....but I get selling high....

If we sold so high, why did we only get an unproven second-pairing defenseman at a near-identical cap hit?

I don't mean selling at the peak as high....I mean selling before he takes a very quick descent into bad.

Something of value had to go...that's just cap reality. Sucks it was Hammer, but the logic / rationale is understandable.

Please God, NO, on Sharp and Campbell.

I think this is gonna be the end for Q. JMO He is not gonna like this change, he is gonna resist it, by overplaying the vets. I hope we do not have a repeat of Daley.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
I think 1 veteran defenseman is needed correct? And I'm not talking about a Rosival-type. Right now it is Keith, Seabrook, and Murphy as the only known Top 6. Oduya & Campbell are FAs (don't want them back) and TVR is gone.

Looking at the free agent list, I see Dan Girardi, Dennis Wideman, Michael Stone, Dmitry Kulikov, Michael Del Zotto, & Cody Franson as some potential targets. The only questions are will they fit into an acceptable salary slot and are they good fits?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:02 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Girardi will be too expensive because guys on the Rangers, America's Second-Round Out, are inherently overvalued. Wideman blows, Del Zotto blows, Franson drifts around the league being kinda good, and Kulikov is a spaz. That pretty much leaves Franson. Whaaaaaatever.

I'll co-sign that this is the end of the road for Quenneville. And in some sense, that's too bad, because I've always been more of a Q defender than a lot of people here, but he lost a lot of capital this offseason (though not as much as you might think -- he did get yet another ex-Whaler to coach with him, and Brandon Saad made it to the Circle Of Trust at like age 21) and I don't think it's going to suit him well.

Also, this team is probably gonna suck some ass. We already lost a Hall of Fame two-way forward and our best defensive player, and we'll probably lose another elite defensive player in Kruger as well. Saad will be back with Toews, but Hossa won't be, DeBrincat might not necessarily be Panarin II, the blue line is a shambles, and we don't have the #1A goalie that Crawford needs to keep him around 58-60 games. I don't think they'll finish in the bottom without consciously deciding to self-destruct (and could they if they wanted to? Everyone else seems nailed down), but we're probably looking at yet another first-round out at best and if the Coyotes decide to quit playing cap games and get serious and the Jets and Stars learn how to keep pucks out of their nets, they'll probably miss the playoffs altogether, and because we're not the Coyotes who let Dave Tippett get five DNQs in a row before firing him, two firsts and a miss or even three firsts will be the end of Quenneville. That's about what ended things for Bylsma, Sutter, and Babcock, and so it will here too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Unless this team gets some major surprises from the young guys, they just won't have the depth to compete. I agree the blue line will be the biggest problem, but I also see a lot of stretches where they won't score.

At least Q will have to play kids now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:38 pm 

This is the board's monthly reminder that no NHL coach wants to play the kids.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:40 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

And thus the Hawks were the oldest team last year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:59 pm 

Pittsburgh was second-oldest, despite all their Wilkes-Barre callups immediately coming to mind, and they won it all. I don't think it was the difference between an average of 28 years and 62 days versus 28 years and 94 days. My point is no head coach in the league sees himself in the player-development business. That may change in Phoenix if Chayka can replace Tippett with some sort of Stepford Coach who will follow his every command, and then the internet fans will beat their dicks raw, but even successful coaches associated with elite youth have their pets and make their young guys earn trust. Is what it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:08 pm 

And run Leddy out of town. But heck you got Seabs who can't hit or skate.

Last edited by denisdman on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:10 pm 

denisdman wrote:
And run Leddy put of town. But heck you got Seabs who can't hit or skate.

I think that is the difference you are seeing more clearly with the cap situation. The coach wants his grizzled vets, and the GM was youth infusion. My guess is Q goes 1st, and Stan finds a coach who will use the kids. The Daley trade still doesn't sit well with me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
denisdman wrote:

Leddy would've been just as exposed against Nashville than every other defenseman was.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:30 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Curious Hair wrote:

Curious you have no idea how full of shit you are. The only reason the Pens won last two is they fired coach midstream and hired the minor coach (that year before was with Hawks) and he trusted kids.

Pens went from 2009 to 2016 doing bullshit. Scotty is recognizing sooner.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:31 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Leddy would've been just as exposed against Nashville than every other defenseman was.

I honestly think that series was less about some age or talent differential than pure heart. The Hawks were strong for the majority of the regular season and won all games against the Preds if memory serves. They simply didn't show up at any point in that series and were beated by a hungrier group.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:44 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Curious you have no idea how full of shit you are. The only reason the Pens won last two is they fired coach midstream and hired the minor coach (that year before was with Hawks) and he trusted kids.

The "only reason"? The Baby Pens came up big but they also traded for ten-year veteran Phil Kessel, plus Bonino and Hagelin, neither of whom are exactly kids, because Rutherford is seemingly able to get people to trade him value for crap. That includes us and the terrible Daley-for-Scuderi trade.

Conor Sheary looked great on a line with the best player in the world. I hope Alex DeBrincat looks even better alongside one of the best playmakers in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
denisdman wrote:

Leddy wasn't run out of town. They were against the cap so it was Leddy or Oduya (and Leddy probably would've priced himself out anyway after his contract was up) so they traded him and ran Oduya into the ground the next year for Cup #3.

Do you think the Hawks beat Anaheim and Tampa in 2015 if they dump Oduya and Leddy has to skate 25+ minutes a night because they basically had 4 Dmen?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:12 pm 

The Leddy trade wasn't that bad. It was the right thing to do, just a shame Ville Pokka turned out to be a bust. You don't want to lose a trade to Garth Snow.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:14 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

The "only reason"? The Baby Pens came up big but they also traded for ten-year veteran Phil Kessel, plus Bonino and Hagelin, neither of whom are exactly kids, because Rutherford is seemingly able to get people to trade him value for crap. That includes us and the terrible Daley-for-Scuderi trade.

Conor Sheary looked great on a line with the best player in the world. I hope Alex DeBrincat looks even better alongside one of the best playmakers in the world.

You are right and you are wrong. The biggest thing was Sullivan came in with Murray and said I give zero fucks about Fleury, Letang and lazy Malkin let's win.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:16 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
badrogue17 wrote:
denisdman wrote:

But Hammer...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:05 pm 

Rasmussen non-qualified, whatever, bye.

Blues non-qualified Nail Yakupov. I'd take him at $600,000 or whatever, why not.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:17 pm 

I have no memories of him on the ice.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Falcos
So there's still rumors out there with Bowman shedding the Hossa salary. I'd rather see Sam Gagner then Sharp and would love it if the Karl Alzner rumor came to fruition...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:42 pm 

denisdman wrote:
I have no memories of him on the ice.

Me neither. I thought "didn't he once DOGPOG a puck 180 feet in the other direction?" but I realized that was Joakim Nordstrom, the other gangly Swede we had at 13th forward. I have no memories of Rasmussen.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:52 am 

Nico Toscani wrote:
So there's still rumors out there with Bowman shedding the Hossa salary. I'd rather see Sam Gagner then Sharp and would love it if the Karl Alzner rumor came to fruition...

I am wondering if there is some type of deadline for another trade. I know he isn't done.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Well, every single time Zawaski has been on the air (podcast or radio), he has been saying the Hawks will be signing a goalie once FA begins. He said all that was needed was to do a little research and connect the dots.

Well.....

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account
@TSNBobMcKenzie
Follow
More
Bob McKenzie Retweeted Jon Rosen
What @lakingsinsider said, that is Cal Petersen has committed to sign with LAK on July 1:

Jay Zawaski‏Verified account
@JayZawaski670
Follow
More
Jay Zawaski Retweeted Bob McKenzie
This is the goalie I predicted the Hawks would land. Doh.

No Jay, you did not predict the Hawks would sign him. You stated it as a fact.

You are truly Jay ZaGoff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:26 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Zawaski is a joke of an insider. I'd bet the Hawks gaslight him for fun given the place he works for.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:39 am 

After this trade for Saad, why would they need to sign an NHL Goalie?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:19 pm 

Because we still don't know what Forsberg is and Crawford can't start 60 games.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Jagr says no one has called him. Guy still puts up points. Could Blackhawks become interested?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Falcos
I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Niemi back in town. I was hoping for Keith Kinkaid who just got resigned by the Devils.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:52 pm 

No way, man, Niemi is forked. He's probably headed for Europe so he can be Finland's backup goalie in the Olympics.

I don't trust Jagr to do anything with expectations on him. All he wants to do is fuck around.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 326 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next