It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kitchen Fired
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:41 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I'm hearing Ted Dent from Rockford may be given the job. Nothing solid on that, but the younger guys know/respect him. Dent has always been the loyal soldier in Rockford putting development ahead of win/loss record. that's one of the reasons the Blackhawks/Rockford relationship has worked out so well.

I kinda figured it would be Dent getting the callup, hence my oblique suggestion that Eaves come in to coach Rockford in his stead. The farm team is in kind of a bad place right now: their job is to incubate talent first and win games second, but right now, it doesn't appear they're doing either. The once-strong defense in particular has been lost to graduations, trades, and AHLers going elsewhere, and is now a complete mess. I have it in my mind that a college coach would be a good guy for the job. NCAA and AHL players are similar in terms of age and trajectory; it's probably a better transition than NCAA to NHL.

Cashman wrote:
I would assume, he is a Bowman guy?

Quick check of his hockeydb suggests that he isn't -- his first year with the organization was the last year of the affiliation with Norfolk. I'm sure Bowman approves of him for him to have been here for eleven seasons, but he's not a Bowman Guy the way, say, Barry Smith is.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I'm hearing Ted Dent from Rockford may be given the job. Nothing solid on that, but the younger guys know/respect him. Dent has always been the loyal soldier in Rockford putting development ahead of win/loss record. that's one of the reasons the Blackhawks/Rockford relationship has worked out so well.

Ted Dent just got whacked in Rockford.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:15 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Ogie not hearing very well, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

:lol:

https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/news/bla ... -289080102

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
pittmike wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/news/bla ... -289080102

so I was way off on this one. Literally 30 minutes after I post it he gets shitcanned.

Sorry Ted, I'll take the blame for that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:00 am 

I kind of feel bad for Ted Dent. It's not his fault he had shit for goaltending in Rockford.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
You can't just ignore failing to win the Illinois Lottery Cup or whatever that made-up Wolves/Icehogs shit was.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:15 am 

Ted Dent did a terrible job developing defencemen in Rockford. Can't even tell you how many young defensive prospects fizzled out at the Rock.

I honestly don't listen much-Reared On The Score Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:38 am

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:35 pm 

Would love to see Trent Yawney come back and work with the pk and defense. Had a great influence on Duncan Ketih early in his career.

Also, it might be time to bring back a face-off coach. Didn't Yannick Perrault help in this area years ago, when we were having issues in this area?

I honestly don't listen much-Reared On The Score Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:38 am

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:48 pm 

I view face offs like free throws. There is no excuse not to get better with good coaching, practice or strategy.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:20 pm 

the ghost of t-dub wrote:
Would love to see Trent Yawney come back and work with the pk and defense. Had a great influence on Duncan Ketih early in his career.

Also, it might be time to bring back a face-off coach. Didn't Yannick Perrault help in this area years ago, when we were having issues in this area?

Is that you Barry? Oh my God, Rozner had a Trent Yawney chubby back in the day.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:11 pm 

Perreault is still in the organization. I have no burning desire to bring Trent Yawney back.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?aggregate ... ort=pkPctg
Kill rates over the last three seasons. I guess you'd have to look at former Hawk Steve Smith down in Raleigh.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I kind of feel bad for Ted Dent. It's not his fault he had shit for goaltending in Rockford.

Kind of hard to believe that anyone would think that Dent would get promoted. The Hawks talent development at Rockford has been poor to fair over the last three years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:46 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Perreault is still in the organization. I have no burning desire to bring Trent Yawney back.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/team?aggregate ... ort=pkPctg
Kill rates over the last three seasons. I guess you'd have to look at former Hawk Steve Smith down in Raleigh.

I'd like all of the centers to spend a few weeks with Perrault just working on faceoffs. That's his specialty. I'm tired of getting killed at the dot.

I'd also be happy if Toews stopped taking the fucking fake supplements he's getting from the likes of Mercola. That guy is a fucking quack selling snake oil. Do some real training Toews. Stop taking these bullshit supplements from "doctors" who have been fined millions by the FDA.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:58 pm 

In addition to Toews, another endorser of Onnit supplements who gives me great pause is Joe Rogan, a cross between Jon Stewart's "ON WEEEEEEED" character from Half Baked and Wayne Stylie. Onnit can't be good if that DMT-obsessed meathead endorses it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:26 pm 

Read Rozner's article today. First he calls Toews "smart". Then he prints Toews' quotes saying the Hawks played with effort. Barry goes on to dispute that assessment with ample Keith and Seabook quotes. So how exactly is Toews smart when he can't recognize the obvious?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:18 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
In addition to Toews, another endorser of Onnit supplements who gives me great pause is Joe Rogan, a cross between Jon Stewart's "ON WEEEEEEED" character from Half Baked and Wayne Stylie. Onnit can't be good if that DMT-obsessed meathead endorses it.

The Onnit shit can go with the Mercola shit as well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Falcos
Rockford has been abysmal the last few seasons, no surprise. Also when Darling bolts this organization we will have Crawford and nobody else. Crawford usually gets hurt at some point each year for a week or two.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Curious Hair wrote:

I was listening to a clip of Penn Jillette on Opie & Anthony's old Sirius show, I think while playing Diablo III, and Joe Rogan was also in the studio that day with the guys. So Penn starts doing his thing, telling great stories, and Joe keeps interrupting with the standard, high-as-shit soliloquies that he thinks are dovetailing perfectly with Penn's stories, but are just derailing the entire conversation. Somehow--well, not somehow, Joe brings it up--"Alpha Brain" gets brought into the discussion, and Rogan just dives into all these factoids about our brains and the physical processing of information in our brain folds and how we store memory and all that shit. I remember being so taken aback by it--I like Joe Rogan, and heretofore only heard snippets of his podcast when he's really on point about a social or political topic--that I thought "how can a man sound well reasoned in one breath and hopelessly stoned-stupid in another?" After I returned back to the Bastion's Keep (it was Act III of D3) I checked the page of the YouTube video I was watching, and someone had asked pretty much the same question vis a vis Joe Rogan, well-reasoned, and his fascination with Alpha Brain, and the reply was perfect:

Joe will believe anything you tell him once.

And it clicked. Joe Rogan just wants to believe so badly that humans are better than what we are now, that he's willing to believe almost anything--that, plus the weed--and that makes him the perfect mark for Onnit and Alpha Brain charlatans, but I don't think he's a snake oil salesmen himself, not in the truest sense. He's just a hopeless romantic when it comes to the human condition.

/sini.conduit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:48 pm 

Who could have guessed that the wisecracking janitor from Dave Foley's old sitcom would go on to be the north star for numerous communities of internet cranks?

EDIT: this nails it better than I can

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Barraco's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

The Onnit shit can go with the Mercola shit as well.

Adam Carolla and Dr. Drew were really big on that Onnit stuff over the summer. They essentially showered in MCT oil. I'm a little surprised somebody within the organization didn't step in at a certain point and ask Toews what he's thinking with that stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:20 pm 

ChiefWampum wrote:
Adam Carolla and Dr. Drew were really big on that Onnit stuff over the summer. They essentially showered in MCT oil. I'm a little surprised somebody within the organization didn't step in at a certain point and ask Toews what he's thinking with that stuff.

Doesn't matter. Toews is one of the biggest union hardliners in the league. If management tells him to do something, he's likely to do the opposite. This is where you need the NHLPA to care about the health and wellness of its players, not just their salaries. Someone on that side needs to say "hey, don't take magic brain pills endorsed by irreverent podcast hosts."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Barraco's
Curious Hair wrote:
ChiefWampum wrote:

Doesn't matter. Toews is one of the biggest union hardliners in the league. If management tells him to do something, he's likely to do the opposite. This is where you need the NHLPA to care about the health and wellness of its players, not just their salaries. Someone on that side needs to say "hey, don't take magic brain pills endorsed by irreverent podcast hosts."

I agree - would be nice if the PA had some common goals here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:32 pm 

Well, we saw it with Fehr's MLBPA as well: guys can put whatever shit they want into their bodies as long as they make more money. So it is here: all that counts is how much money comes in. The NHLPA has been intransigent on the issues of fighting and headshots because injuries mean more people get NHL pay. When Torres wrecked Hossa in 2012, the union should have stood by Hossa. They stood by Torres. So that's just how it is.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Hockey Gay wrote:
Yea, for sure.

I get it though. This is Bowman basically letting Q know that he is on a tight leash next season.

I'm sure Q lost a lot of say on roster decisions as well.

THIS.
Next year's roster will be very telling. They have to stop bringing in aged defensemen and get younger, faster.
Fels and clowns were saying on their podcast that Q's handling of Kempny was the last straw. It makes sense...hate to agree with them but I do in this situation.

Bowman has a real mess to cleanup. 1 or 2 of the high salaries has to go. They have to have a younger roster where Q has no choice but to put them on the ice. Problem is....very few of those contracts have trade value.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Sorry but Kempny didn't impress me at all .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:16 pm 

Kempny was okay with the puck but got lit up in his own end as bad as TVR did, if not worse.

They're in way too deep on the TVR/Kempny thing. As I've pointed out before, Sam will always fawn over European projects and shit on high-floor-low-ceiling North Americans. TVR is bad in anything less than a sheltered #6 role, but Kempny was far from perfect. If anything was a mistake, it was replacing Kempny with Oduya, as it turns out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:43 pm 

wdelaney72 wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:
Yea, for sure.

I get it though. This is Bowman basically letting Q know that he is on a tight leash next season.

I'm sure Q lost a lot of say on roster decisions as well.

THIS.
Next year's roster will be very telling. They have to stop bringing in aged defensemen and get younger, faster.
Fels and clowns were saying on their podcast that Q's handling of Kempny was the last straw. It makes sense...hate to agree with them but I do in this situation.

Bowman has a real mess to cleanup. 1 or 2 of the high salaries has to go. They have to have a younger roster where Q has no choice but to put them on the ice. Problem is....very few of those contracts have trade value.

Bowman is wise. He had to have seen what the Penguins did. After floundering after their 09 Cup doing fill in and aging stop gaps they finally fired the GM and the coach and brought in the kids. What makes Bowman start is he will do this before getting himself and Q fired. But if necessary Q will go before Bowman.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:44 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Kempny was okay with the puck but got lit up in his own end as bad as TVR did, if not worse.

They're in way too deep on the TVR/Kempny thing. As I've pointed out before, Sam will always fawn over European projects and shit on high-floor-low-ceiling North Americans. TVR is bad in anything less than a sheltered #6 role, but Kempny was far from perfect. If anything was a mistake, it was replacing Kempny with Oduya, as it turns out.

Regardless of what we thing of the younger defense now we have to play them. They can hardly be worse than the old crap we have after 2, 4 and 7. And I am giving 7 a very wide latitude to be a 4, 5 or 6.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:05 pm 

We need to pray that Forsling gets real good, real fast. He showed promise but was definitely a wispy little rookie.

We'll probably have Campbell back. He wasn't bad enough to be jettisoned (Rozsival was, but still wasn't) and will probably come back for very little. The Panarin-for-Hanifin trade I see bandied about looks better and better. Plug in DeBrincat and/or Fortin to get fat off Kane's points and you might not miss a beat.