It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Franson signs PTO
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
The PTO is just a formality as he likely has a deal in place but can't sign it until the day they put Hossa on LTIR due to the cap.

Post subject: Re: Franson signs PTO
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:19 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
He's not bad as far as longtime project players go. Can't hurt, could help.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:24 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
He's not bad as far as longtime project players go. Can't hurt, could help.

He would help the power play and would replace some depth on the D. He's not a top 4 guy, but he's a reliable 3rd pairing piece and an upgrade over whoever would be there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:36 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
I like it. A little bit of insurance for the 3rd pairing so Rosy can be in the box for 60 games.

Keith/Murphy
Seabrook/Kempny
Franson/Forsling

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
They are bidding on another young Ruski but Pens are as well.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:53 pm 

Every time I see Connor Murphy's name, my blood pressure spikes. Traded one of the most important players IN FRANCHISE HISTORY for a guy who hasn't done shit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:01 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Every time I see Connor Murphy's name, my blood pressure spikes. Traded one of the most important players IN FRANCHISE HISTORY for a guy who hasn't done shit.

We all love Hammer, but 1: this was about cost control with the cap and 2: Hammer's decline will happen soon and it will be ugly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:02 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

We all love Hammer, but 1: this was about cost control with the cap and 2: Hammer's decline will happen soon and it will be ugly

And most important in franchise history is a bit much. :lol:

The Russian I was thinking about is Danis Zaripov.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:03 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

For the millionth time, they cost about the same, and when Hjalmarsson's contract is up, then you let him go and die somewhere else. He took a contract under market value to play here, something no other core member could bother to do. We should have gotten everything we could out of him, and that doesn't mean trading him to a country club for an unproven 24-year-old.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:06 pm 

pittmike wrote:

He was the best suppressor of offense on three/50% of the franchise's championship teams. At worst, he's the 4th best defenseman in franchise history if you want to slot Chelios above him for being the best American hockey player of all time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:07 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

For the millionth time, they cost about the same, and when Hjalmarsson's contract is up, then you let him go and die somewhere else. He took a contract under market value to play here, something no other core member could bother to do. We should have gotten everything we could out of him, and that doesn't mean trading him to a country club for an unproven 24-year-old.

Murphy is controlled longer so he gives you stability with the cap space moving forward. If you wait for Hjammer to walk, then you let him go and receive nothing in return. At least this trade allows them to get a top 4 guy back. You wouldn't be able to sign a guy Murphy at this price on the UFA market in 2 years.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:11 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

He was the best suppressor of offense on three/50% of the franchise's championship teams. At worst, he's the 4th best defenseman in franchise history if you want to slot Chelios above him for being the best American hockey player of all time.

I love Hammer. Keith, Seabrook, Chelios, Wilson, Pilote, Magnuson and even first run Campbell are ahead of him.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:15 pm 

MAGNUSON?!? I mean, good guy, bought drinks, but all he did on the ice was start fights and lose. He's rightly beloved for having an enormous heart and being fiercely loyal to the organization when few others were, but he's not on the Cup three times.

Campbell was important in his three years but not as important as Hjalmarsson in his nine. Again, three rings, and by no means a passenger on any of them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:17 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
MAGNUSON?!? I mean, good guy, bought drinks, but all he did on the ice was start fights and lose. He's rightly beloved for having an enormous heart and being fiercely loyal to the organization when few others were, but he's not on the Cup three times.

Campbell was important in his three years but not as important as Hjalmarsson in his nine. Again, three rings, and by no means a passenger on any of them.

Yeah I have to admit he was just a favorite but you get my point.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:22 pm 

Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't say he's the best Blackhawk defenseman ever, because it's self-evident that that's Duncan Keith, but the Hawks won two of their three expansion-era championships in large part by leading the league in fewest goals against, and when you talk about going above and beyond in preventing goals, you have to talk about Hjalmarsson. Pierre Pilote was a great player, and Doug Wilson had a hell of a career with the Hawks, but it's hard to look past the defensive cornerstone of what's, at least in the popular imagination, an offensively gifted series of teams.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:33 pm 

Now they are saying Rozsival still have symptoms from the April sucker punch.

I guess he's going to be LTIR'ed as well, but will stick around to mentor Kempny

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2017/9 ... punch-2017

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I love Hammer. Keith, Seabrook, Chelios, Wilson, Pilote, Magnuson and even first run Campbell are ahead of him.

Whaddya got on Battleship Bob Kelley?

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:28 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Murphy is controlled longer so he gives you stability with the cap space moving forward. If you wait for Hjammer to walk, then you let him go and receive nothing in return. At least this trade allows them to get a top 4 guy back. You wouldn't be able to sign a guy Murphy at this price on the UFA market in 2 years.

Agree with Ogie on this one. Hawks will probably lose this trade in year 1 but down the road it will look better and better.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
I also don't have a problem with the Hammer trade. I like that we are finally being proactive and trying to get ahead of our cap issues before they happen.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Anyone that watched the Hawks last year knows that Hammer's decline began before the All Star game and spiked during the playoffs.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Sorry, CH....but the others are correct. Takes nothing away of the importance of Hammer. When he declines, it's going to be ugly, costly, and instant. The Hawks HAD to get in front of this one to have any chance.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
wdelaney72 wrote:
Sorry, CH....but the others are correct. Takes nothing away of the importance of Hammer. When he declines, it's going to be ugly, costly, and instant. The Hawks HAD to get in front of this one to have any chance.

Ya, I guess. Though, Stan is stuck with two anchors in Seabrook and Toews. Would've liked to see Hawks continue going all-in (keep Hammer) before Seabs/Toews continued erosion becomes really bad.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:04 pm 

Reading about the trade, it came about because Oliver Ekman-Larsson, now feeling himself as team captain in Phoenix, specifically requested Hjalmarsson as his defensive partner. That makes one wonder if the Hawks couldn't have gotten more for someone being demanded like that than what we got: an AHLer and a failed prospect from a country club market. I haven't watched the preseason but reports on Murphy are, uh, well, folks...

I agree with Kirkwood. This team isn't built for perpetual "reloading" anymore. You gotta run this thing into the ground like Detroit did.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:27 pm 

While Seabrook will continue to decline, I would say Toews is primed for a rebound year. He has only played 2 preseason games, but has looked great in each.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:29 pm 

The reports on Seabrook's preseason have been somewhat rosy, too (but not Rozsy).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:29 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
The reports on Seabrook's preseason have been somewhat rosy, too (but not Rozsy).

I also think in Seabrook's case, he has been saddled with some weak partners the last few years.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:33 pm 

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/ohl ... ks-top-six

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Who is the rookie D-man who is doing pretty well? He seems like he might break camp.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:08 pm 

Cashman wrote:
Who is the rookie D-man who is doing pretty well? He seems like he might break camp.

Gustav Forsling? He split last season between Chicago and Rockford. Pretty high ceiling for him: think a Nick Leddy who won't be given up on. He was a little rough last year because it was his first season on 200'x85' ice and that's a pretty big adaptation for a young defenseman to make.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:50 pm 

Cashman wrote:

Jan Rutta is the rookie who has looked pretty good but he is 27 and was playing in the Czech league. Forsling has had a poor camp and had a terrible game against Boston. I would be surprised if he makes the opening roster.