It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:44 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Two firsts, a prospect who should be a third-line winger, your #1 center, #3 center, and #6 defenseman all for Dougie Hamilton was so outrageous that I couldn't even get angry at it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:44 pm 

Mad Online should be considered its own dialect at this point:

Quote:
Secondly, we know the NHL isn’t that well run. Even if the first part wasn’t as big of a concern as it could be, you’d have to wonder if a possible professional women’s league that can’t really ever seem to unfuck itself.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:25 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
I hope their articles are better than their podcasts because their free agency and draft podcasts were pathetic. Why does McClure brag about not knowing anything about prospects? If you're going to be a Hawks podcast/blog, know your shit or at least fake it. While Zawaski can be a little boring at times, I appreciate his work on his podcasts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:41 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
DAC wrote:
I hope their articles are better than their podcasts because their free agency and draft podcasts were pathetic. Why does McClure brag about not knowing anything about prospects? If you're going to be a Hawks podcast/blog, know your shit or at least fake it. While Zawaski can be a little boring at times, I appreciate his work on his podcasts.

Listen to Puckin Hostile's podcast aka The Blackhawks Rinkcast

Good articles on their website also https://www.the-rink.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:22 am 

FrankDrebin wrote:
DAC wrote:

Thanks. I'll have to save that link.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
DAC wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
DAC wrote:

Thanks. I'll have to save that link.

You'll be glad that you did, solid work and they actually cover the minors in depth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
thanks, sir! We try.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
PuckinHostile wrote:
thanks, sir! We try.

PuckinHostile cares more about the board than Len Kasper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:16 pm 

If you did Sam Fels Bingo, the free space would be "these stupid players stopped going to school in 7th grade."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:45 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
If you did Sam Fels Bingo, the free space would be "these stupid players stopped going to school in 7th grade."

I was listened too.

What struck is me the tired criticism of sarcastically calling McDonough a "hockey guy." The guy has been the team president for over 10 years. I understand that he wasn't trained in hockey and wasn't a player or coach but he has been immersed in the game for over a decade and has been in professional sports for over 40 years. I tend to feel he has a little more insight about the team than several bloggers that like to rant with their buddies. I don't care for McDonough either but come up with legitimate criticisms.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:06 pm 

Like I was saying in another post (or maybe it was a PM?) the hivemind has come to love decidedly Didn't Play The Game guys like John Chayka (who has done fuck-all, by the way, and now his team's ownership is out of money again), or the legions of wunderkinds with fresh MBAs who get to run MLB and NBA teams now. If the line of thinking is that it's better to have a trained business mind running hockey operations than some concussed ex-player who STOPPED GOING TO SCHOOL IN SEVENTH GRADE, then why not the trained business mind of John McDonough? You can't have it both ways, where people who lived and breathed the game don't know it well enough to manage it, but bean counters who didn't live the game have no business getting involved, either.

I think they would be perfectly happy with someone who just stood before a podium and whispered the word "analytics."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:43 pm 

"Mac put me on the air a bunch of times but now I'm going to sell his ass out so that girls on Twitter will like me."

Mac deleted the tweet but someone caught it:

and new friend of the forum Cheryl Ring showed up to condemn him for it too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Exile on Route 41 wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
They love any Euro player with good tools who gets knocked over in a stiff breeze because Don Cherry wouldn't.

and then Jay Zawaski will come along and copy their "analysis" as his own. Since he works at 670, no one can call him out on it as no one there knows what icing is.

Reminds me of when Jesse Rogers was doing the postgame during the early 2000s Hawks dark ages and someone made the following call:

Caller: can you tell me what icing is?
Jesse: You don't know what icing is?
Caller: No, can you tell me?
Jesse: You seriously don't know what icing is?
Caller: Yeah, I want you to tell me because you don't know, because you're a fucking idiot. (they didn't hit the dump button in time)

Thanks for this. I heard it too. The 670 hockey coverage at the time was funbad. I used to listen while cooking. Caught the infamous Foley rant live too. Couldn't believe it. Shortly after I picked up the book ripping billfold wirtz called Career Misconduct. The pounding that team gave itself during that stretch was something to behold. It is amazing they emerged from that dark period with the franchise not changing hands or being moved.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:28 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
It is amazing they emerged from that dark period with the franchise not changing hands or being moved.

Had Bill not died when he did, he would have had to give the franchise back to the league, and my wild unfounded conjecture is that Reinsdorf would buy it for pennies on the dollar (as he tried to do with the Coyotes a few years later: I believe his scheme there involved establishing a TIF district around the arena that would pay for the purchase), not given a shit, and let the bad times keep rolling. Probably would have made his Bulls look like the Spurs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:21 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:

"...he has no place in today's sports world."

These SJWs actually think they can un-person someone for saying something they don't like. I'm constantly offended by Fels. How about that?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:44 am 

It's amazing the bridges they are willing to burn, and the fact that they see no potential for blowback by pushing this middle-aged white men are evil dogma.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:00 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
It's amazing the bridges they are willing to burn, and the fact that they see no potential for blowback by pushing this middle-aged white men are evil dogma.

I think it's refreshing. If you're a quasi-racist, homophobe, Trump-supporter, they have no use for you. It's probably not the best business decision since they want paid subscribers and it is hockey after all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:30 pm 
Site Admin

It's crap, is what it is. What moral standing does Sam Fuckin' Fels have to sit in judgment of anyone? What makes people like that believe they are the arbiters of what's offensive? Because in my world- which admittedly is the world of the middle-aged white man, something beyond my control and something that is fast approaching for the likes of Sam Fels- calling for the un-personing of someone who helped promote you and your fucking fanzine for no other reason than to signal your own "virtue" on Twitter is a far more egregious offense than posting an unfunny gay joke.

Further, these people aren't really offended by homophobic jokes as proven by their celebration of Stephen Colbert and Chelsea Handler in spite of their homophobic cracks regrading Trump and Putin because #RESIST. So spare me your phony moral high ground.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:37 pm 

Fels is one of the extremely online people who took Jason's firing harder than Jason did. This was largely because the Team Bernstein guys are the ones who are willing to put him on the air to talk shit about the Blackhawks for their amusement, and no Jason in afternoon drive means no exposure in afternoon drive. He still gets hits with Laurence and Julie, though. You don't have to like everything Mac does, but if he did that much for you, then you owe him the minor courtesy of, I dunno, not calling for his exile from all media.

It's an interesting parallel to Jason, too, because they were both Heavy Fuel Crew chronics who graduated into full-fledged Chicago sports media personalities. And both of them sold out Mac when it appeared expedient to do so. But their efforts to dispose of Mac haven't worked out, inasmuch as the person with no place in sports is hosting afternoon drive and Fels and Jason are the ones trying to find a place.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:43 pm 

I'm not sure what the intent of the Buck/Rodgers tweet was. It is to make fun of the way broadcasters slobber over Rodgers? It seems likely. As Jorr alluded to, it's fine to call Trump Putin's cockholder if you are Colbert. Retweet a mildly offensive joke- there is no place for you.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Why does that meme have to be linked to homophobia?

It could be Rodgers making googoo eyes with JDC. That'd be kinda funny too.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:55 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
Why does that meme have to be linked to homophobia?

It could be Rodgers making googoo eyes with JDC. That'd be kinda funny too.

If it was JDC no one other than us would know who it is. And it would be considered fat shaming.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Fels is one of the extremely online people who took Jason's firing harder than Jason did. This was largely because the Team Bernstein guys are the ones who are willing to put him on the air to talk shit about the Blackhawks for their amusement, and no Jason in afternoon drive means no exposure in afternoon drive. He still gets hits with Laurence and Julie, though. You don't have to like everything Mac does, but if he did that much for you, then you owe him the minor courtesy of, I dunno, not calling for his exile from all media.

It's an interesting parallel to Jason, too, because they were both Heavy Fuel Crew chronics who graduated into full-fledged Chicago sports media personalities. And both of them sold out Mac when it appeared expedient to do so. But their efforts to dispose of Mac haven't worked out, inasmuch as the person with no place in sports is hosting afternoon drive and Fels and Jason are the ones trying to find a place.

I hate to keep coming back to it but did Fels call for the exile of Lil Danny after he tweeted about not being interested in a female broadcasters opinions because she had a giant rack?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I kinda like anything that makes fun of Joe Buck.

I'm not so surprised that there are people that think like Fels but I'm surprised at how common and main steam their beliefs are becoming. On Thanksgiving I got into 2 discussions. On was with my aunt who was railing against I don't know what but I stopped and told her if she feels that way she should sell her lakehouse. Her response/logic was she pays taxes. I said I have no idea what that has to do with anything and there is probably no better example of white male privilege than her husband and 4 sons. They are the patriarchy and they will feel the most negative impact if this movement succeeds. She said she's gonna think about that. The other was a close friend whose job had him dealing with some of the society worst case scenarios. His view of the world is that women should live in constant fear, are relativity powerless, and most people in general need protection. I couldn't really wrap my head around that belief. I see myself and the women I know as mostly self determining. I have rights and opportunities that aren't found in a large number of places in the world. If I were to give up that belief I would be powerless. There are victims in life but a large majority aren't and I don't know why you'd choose to live as one. You might have short term gains but it's detrimental in the long run.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:35 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
I hate to keep coming back to it but did Fels call for the exile of Lil Danny after he tweeted about not being interested in a female broadcasters opinions because she had a giant rack?

No. And is there no place in sports media for Terry Boers, the guy who had a long-running bit about pretending to own a gay sports bar? Then Sam would have to stop doing his Terry Boers impression every day, and then what?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:09 pm 

This guy needs his own thread that goes 756 PAGES. What an epic douchebag.

I find this more "offensive" than the Dan McNeil retweet.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:14 pm 
Site Admin

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
This guy needs his own thread that goes 756 PAGES. What an epic douchebag.

I find this more "offensive" than the Dan McNeil retweet.

There's no place for heartless shitheads like that on Twitter. Oh wait, yes there is.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:18 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
He has to have a real job right? A pay per blog/newsletter and twitter aren't paying the bills. Maybe someone should @ his real work?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:35 pm 

pittmike wrote:
He has to have a real job right? A pay per blog/newsletter and twitter aren't paying the bills. Maybe someone should @ his real work?

Rich dead parents

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Rich dead parents

That explains it. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next