It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:
He has to have a real job right? A pay per blog/newsletter and twitter aren't paying the bills. Maybe someone should @ his real work?

Rich dead parents

That explains it. :lol:

Yeah, he regularly tweets about watching Champions League soccer live on weekdays often with implied day drinking. No way he has a 9-5 gig.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:19 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I just found this, what a huge Who You Crappin'

https://faxesfromuncledale.com/the-unfa ... of-it-all/

Quote:
Which led me to the next train of thought, as I watched Brent Seabrook waddle his way through another clanger of a game. Because the story continues, and because of the inherent stupidity/unfairness of the NHL system, players like Seabrook are held up for treatment and scorn they should never have to deal with.

I’ve listened to far too many people honestly discuss a trade of Duncan Keith. Just as we did last season with Jonathan Toews. We’ve heard the lamenting of Seabrook’s contract. And to me it’s dispiriting at best, disgusting at worst.

All sports are moving this way now, and have for a while, but the NHL’s hard cap system forces fans to see players as only parts, or assets. Brent Seabrook is no longer Brent Seabrook. He’s Brent Seabrook’s contract. Duncan Keith is Duncan Keith’s trade value/possibility. It may not be long before Patrick Kane (setting aside all the other issues for a minute) or Corey Crawford become What They Can Be Cashed In For.

It’s not fair to the players, but it’s also not fair to the fans. No longer will any player aside from a very select few get to finish their careers with one team, unless they do some curtain-call like Patrick Sharp’s last year which felt sort of empty. It only happened because no one else would have wanted him. It’s a sideshow, not a swan song or farewell.

Seabrook, Keith, and Toews in the past have done far too much for the Hawks and the fans to have to deal with being seen as merely what they can return in trade or absence. While they’re paid professionals and it’s part of the job, it’s harder on fans whose memories get more and more sullied by views of the players who provided them now.

I don’t like hating on Seabrook. In fact, it hurts at times. And I or many others wouldn’t if his contract weren’t such an obstacle. We can’t help but see it that way because of the things the Hawks must do to rise again. Why is this working out for anyone? We should see what the players are now of course, but we shouldn’t have to turn on them because a team decided to give them a lot of money. They didn’t force anyone to do that.

Yes, Seabrook and Keith have culpability in how they’re perceived. Seabrook through his fitness levels and Keith through the lack of adjustments in his game as he ages. That doesn’t mean they should go from hero to wares in the span of a few seasons.

Of course, any of this would require an actual spine from the players’ association, who would probably have to strike to get it. Instead they’ll just roll over again to get their bellies tickled when the new CBA rolls along. And players like Seabrook and Keith will get hammered for what they used to be, and their paycheck.

The same guy who has been calling Seabrook a fat piece of shit for years now, even when the team was winning the Stanley Cup, is now all "O this cruel world we live in, try to remember the human being." That's to say nothing of the contempt he regularly shows for all players, at least any player who's not a bantamweight from Europe or is P.K. Subban, who are all spoiled rich kids, middle school dropouts, probably untalented, likely rapists, definite cokeheads, and in all ways inferior to NBA players. But now we're supposed to lament that the hard cap makes us resent our players? Where were you on this, like, eight to ten years ago? And why is it unfair to do this to fans? You think any fans who don't post on Twitter with you are just as shitty as the players they like. Ugh.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:35 pm 

And ending with "Rise, oppressed proletariat! You have nothing to lose but your chains!" :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:52 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
That is some all-time Tournament of Bad, right there.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:04 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Here's puberty opt-out John Pullega with trade proposals that would get you banned from HFBoards:

Quote:
Package both first-round picks, Ejdsell, and Schmaltz for Calgary’s Dougie Hamilton. Throw in Rutta, and Anisimov and his 11 power play goals if you can get him to waive his NMC.

Package their #8 pick, Artem Anisimov, Victor Ejdsell, and Vinnie Hinostroza for Justin Faulk.

All that for Justin fucking Faulk?!? What has he ever done besides be a good puck-mover on teams that are poor in both goals scored and goals allowed and finish 9th or 10th? Be American?

Dougie Hamilton?!?! :lol: :lol: :lol:

UPDATE: Dougie Hamilton and the great Justin Faulk have the Hurricanes in 6th in the wild card. The Flames got rid of Hamilton and lead the Pacific.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Curious Hair wrote:
I just found this, what a huge Who You Crappin'

https://faxesfromuncledale.com/the-unfa ... of-it-all/

Quote:
Which led me to the next train of thought, as I watched Brent Seabrook waddle his way through another clanger of a game. Because the story continues, and because of the inherent stupidity/unfairness of the NHL system, players like Seabrook are held up for treatment and scorn they should never have to deal with.

I’ve listened to far too many people honestly discuss a trade of Duncan Keith. Just as we did last season with Jonathan Toews. We’ve heard the lamenting of Seabrook’s contract. And to me it’s dispiriting at best, disgusting at worst.

All sports are moving this way now, and have for a while, but the NHL’s hard cap system forces fans to see players as only parts, or assets. Brent Seabrook is no longer Brent Seabrook. He’s Brent Seabrook’s contract. Duncan Keith is Duncan Keith’s trade value/possibility. It may not be long before Patrick Kane (setting aside all the other issues for a minute) or Corey Crawford become What They Can Be Cashed In For.

It’s not fair to the players, but it’s also not fair to the fans. No longer will any player aside from a very select few get to finish their careers with one team, unless they do some curtain-call like Patrick Sharp’s last year which felt sort of empty. It only happened because no one else would have wanted him. It’s a sideshow, not a swan song or farewell.

Seabrook, Keith, and Toews in the past have done far too much for the Hawks and the fans to have to deal with being seen as merely what they can return in trade or absence. While they’re paid professionals and it’s part of the job, it’s harder on fans whose memories get more and more sullied by views of the players who provided them now.

I don’t like hating on Seabrook. In fact, it hurts at times. And I or many others wouldn’t if his contract weren’t such an obstacle. We can’t help but see it that way because of the things the Hawks must do to rise again. Why is this working out for anyone? We should see what the players are now of course, but we shouldn’t have to turn on them because a team decided to give them a lot of money. They didn’t force anyone to do that.

Yes, Seabrook and Keith have culpability in how they’re perceived. Seabrook through his fitness levels and Keith through the lack of adjustments in his game as he ages. That doesn’t mean they should go from hero to wares in the span of a few seasons.

Of course, any of this would require an actual spine from the players’ association, who would probably have to strike to get it. Instead they’ll just roll over again to get their bellies tickled when the new CBA rolls along. And players like Seabrook and Keith will get hammered for what they used to be, and their paycheck.

The same guy who has been calling Seabrook a fat piece of shit for years now, even when the team was winning the Stanley Cup, is now all "O this cruel world we live in, try to remember the human being." That's to say nothing of the contempt he regularly shows for all players, at least any player who's not a bantamweight from Europe or is P.K. Subban, who are all spoiled rich kids, middle school dropouts, probably untalented, likely rapists, definite cokeheads, and in all ways inferior to NBA players. But now we're supposed to lament that the hard cap makes us resent our players? Where were you on this, like, eight to ten years ago? And why is it unfair to do this to fans? You think any fans who don't post on Twitter with you are just as shitty as the players they like. Ugh.

Shit, I missed this.

What the fucking fuck! Fels et al owe Seabrook a huge apology before even thinking about writing that piece.

WYC is spot on.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:
He has to have a real job right? A pay per blog/newsletter and twitter aren't paying the bills. Maybe someone should @ his real work?

Rich dead parents

Lucky for them, they don't have to read his shit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:01 am 

Fels tweeted that he cried watching Wrestlemania :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:03 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Exile on Route 41 wrote:
Let me guess....he was on the right side of history with Kofi winning a predetermined match that everyone knew he would win weeks ago?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:23 am 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Exile on Route 41 wrote:
Let me guess....he was on the right side of history with Kofi winning a predetermined match that everyone knew he would win weeks ago?

Of course. By Becky's match he tweeted that he was too drunk to cry.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:32 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
I would never pay for what those guys offer. They are just a step above guys at the bar talking about the Hawks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:43 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Exile on Route 41 wrote:

I cried when Mankind lost to the Undertaker in Hell in a Cell.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:21 pm 

Now they did a podcast together with Zawaski and Neveau. Must not be a lot of people ponying up the $5 a month.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:07 am 

Gotta laugh at their promoting 40% off memberships that includes draft coverage. These are the same guys, specifically McClure, who brag about not knowing anything about prospects. Earlier this year they kept saying it was a 1-player draft, it isn't, and now they can barely mention a couple prospects the Hawks will take at #3.

While their willingness to criticize the Hawks and their anti-fanboy blogger nature initially was attractive to me, I have really grown tired of their shtick. McClure is a bumbling, Dennis Miller wannabe who should spend more time reading about the league if he wants to be some expert rather than focusing on his nicknames and over-the-top hyperboles. You really take away from the comedic impact when you stumble over your words and have trouble making your obscure references. And their blog is looking more and more like a collection of First Take-style articles in order to justify their subscription. Just this week I see a headline of them proposing the Hawks go after PK Subban. Are they off the Karlsson train?

I am just about done listening to their podcast. The Madhouse Hockey Podcast is a much better listen.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:11 am 

P.K. Subban is the best player in hockey according to Julie's hijab wearing friends on Twitter. So based on that it's going to be tough to acquire him.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:16 am 
Site Admin

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
P.K. Subban is the best player in hockey according to Julie's hijab wearing friends on Twitter. So based on that it's going to be tough to acquire him.

That was before he yukked it up with Barstool.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 11:23 am 

Not "that site". He's canceled. I admittedly know very little about hockey, but on the transitive rule of white sports, and that he's currently dating Tiger's ex Lindsey Vonn, I am guessing P.K.'s career is not in an upward trajectory.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:03 pm 

People in the Nashville office/dressing room are getting tired of Subban's crap, the same way people in the Montreal office/dressing room got tired of his crap. I want hockey to have big personalities as much as anyone, but in my heart I know that fostering larger-than-life characters in as full a team game as hockey is kind of like getting a dog to walk on its hind legs. Shit just doesn't work if you aren't willing to put the greater good first.

As for the notes of desperation wafting from this blog, well, I think anyone could have told them that they were overestimating the overlap between hockey fans and devoted, Twitter-forged culture warriors. And that's not a slam on the sensitivities of hockey fans vis-a-vis fans of any other major sport, but rather an observation that living in certain corners of Twitter skews your perception of reality. There aren't even enough people who care enough about MeToo to get Joe Biden to stop groping little girls. How are there going to be enough people who pay to read, I dunno, some guy screaming about John McDonough being insufficiently inclusive of women? In short, what's the market for what he's selling?

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 12:11 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
People in the Nashville office/dressing room are getting tired of Subban's crap, the same way people in the Montreal office/dressing room got tired of his crap. I want hockey to have big personalities as much as anyone, but in my heart I know that fostering larger-than-life characters in as full a team game as hockey is kind of like getting a dog to walk on its hind legs. Shit just doesn't work if you aren't willing to put the greater good first.

As for the notes of desperation wafting from this blog, well, I think anyone could have told them that they were overestimating the overlap between hockey fans and devoted, Twitter-forged culture warriors. And that's not a slam on the sensitivities of hockey fans vis-a-vis fans of any other major sport, but rather an observation that living in certain corners of Twitter skews your perception of reality. There aren't even enough people who care enough about MeToo to get Joe Biden to stop groping little girls. How are there going to be enough people who pay to read, I dunno, some guy screaming about John McDonough being insufficiently inclusive of women? In short, what's the market for what he's selling?

There is no market for it.

I was only half joking about Subban. Being a diva doesn't seem to work as well in physical team sports were you have to rely on the your teammates to protect you and work in precession with you. He's wearing a scarf, a purse and hanging out at the French Open with Lindsey Vonn.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:58 pm 

What does "The South" have to do with this? Preds fans are miles up their own asses about how good they are for supporting PK Subban and seem to be bummed about the loss and the paltry return (compare with being sad to lose franchise player Shea Weber but holy shit getting PK Subban). The only problem is that their ass mileage can't compete with that of Sam Fels.

Also, why is it impossible that Subban wears out his welcome? And furthermore, why undermine your position about racism in hockey by falsely arguing that Roman Josi sucks? He's very good. Leave him out of this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:21 pm 

Horrible analysis from McClure in their latest podcast. He was proposing the Hawks sign 2 of Pavelski, Lee, or Nyqvist. First off, there is no way in hell the Hawks do this. Secondly, how do you suggest that without stating what it would cause the Hawks to do next offseason when Debrincat and Strome are due a new contract? It is obvious he has not looked at their salary cap. They'd have to trade Anisimov and probably Murphy to sign two of those UFAs and then next season they would have to clear 10 M in cap space to sign 'Cat and Strome. So think Saad, de Haan/Maata, and spend less on goalie. Is it possible? Sure but there is no fucking way the Hawks will do that. What a garbage discussion. It was the kind of shit that gets ignored on the HF Forum.

Zawaski and Neuveau don't cuss or play cool music but their analysis and insight on the Madhouse Chicago podcast is spot-on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Tab Bamford has excellent takes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:30 pm 

https://faxesfromuncledale.com/you-want ... ight-here/

Quote:
Local artists: At this point, if you’ve had season tickets you can recall the UC playlist from heart. The Hawks have come out from intermission to Foo Fighters and “Riding The Storm Out” for all 11 seasons I’ve had seasons. Just put a modicum of effort into this one.

Music during stoppages and TV timeouts should slant, though not be entirely, from local bands and musicians. There should be more Chance, Lala Lala, Vic Mensa, Pelican, Lupe Fiasco…fuck this list could go on forever.

I agree that game presentation has gotten very stale in Chicago, but Lupe Fiasco?

The rest of it is just being a WWEaboo and whining that they don't use Becky Lynch's entrance music.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Quote:
You can’t get more generic than the Hawks at the UC, at least after the anthem. It’s either the scoreboard coercing everyone or Tommy Hawk and his tambourine into a “Let’s Go Hawks!” chant. We can do better.
Take one section of the 300 Level, preferably behind the goal the Hawks attack twice. Dedicate it to your biggest fans, a la supporters sections you see in MLS. Charge a certain few with coming up with unique chants and songs tailored to the Hawks and their players specifically. Give them a couple months to get everyone in the arena to learn them and get on board

a window into fels' soul. this piece of shit wants to be the sworn leader of the "ULTRAS" section. and be the one to come up with "clever" chants and songs. fuck this guy and his starvation for attention.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:00 pm 

Winnipeg fans come up with chants organically and I think he still bitches about them and sneers that their team will move to Portland.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:00 pm 
Site Admin

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
Charge a certain few with coming up with unique chants and songs tailored to the Hawks and their players specifically.

LOCK HIM UP! LOCK HIM UP!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
He wants to become soccer Nashville. Burrito

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:03 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
He wants to become soccer Nashville. Burrito

I think one of the things that annoys me most about this emergent big-tent "nerd" culture -- comic books, Star Wars, wrestling -- is the constant and imperious demand to be acknowledged, to be referenced to. Not referred to, rather appeased with references to their content. Like, the problems facing NHL fandom? It's not that regular-season tickets cost way too much for a product that the league almost revels in declaring worthless, it's that eighty people aren't singing the lyrics to wrestling entrance music on penalty kills.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:07 pm 

For the record, to improve DA ATMASFEER at Hawks games, I would throw Frank Pellico's five-song-knowing ass* out on the street and get an organist like Dieter from the Dodgers and Kings who is excellent at bringing a broad repertoire into the classic sound of a sporting event. Hockey games are hockey games, not talent shows for nerds. Play music on an organ and leave singing about Seth Rollins to Raw crowds. And no "Kick Push," either.

*the Rocky theme, Eye of the Tiger which is also a Rocky theme, the whimsical song that plays when someone gets KTFO, Here Come the Hawks, it might actually be only four

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
My god that sounds like something written by Jules.....if she did a quick fact check and spell check of her work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next