It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:11 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
My god that sounds like something written by Jules.....if she did a quick fact check and spell check of her work.

If she hasn't written "Listen Up, Hawks: It's Time To Start Playing Beyonce During Stoppages" by now it's only because Sam did first

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:42 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
My god that sounds like something written by Jules.....if she did a quick fact check and spell check of her work.

If she hasn't written "Listen Up, Hawks: It's Time To Start Playing Beyonce During Stoppages" by now it's only because Sam did first

I’m sure Beyoncé and Chance would go over well with a Blackhawks crowd.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: State Line
Curious Hair wrote:
For the record, to improve DA ATMASFEER at Hawks games, I would throw Frank Pellico's five-song-knowing ass* out on the street and get an organist like Dieter from the Dodgers and Kings who is excellent at bringing a broad repertoire into the classic sound of a sporting event. Hockey games are hockey games, not talent shows for nerds. Play music on an organ and leave singing about Seth Rollins to Raw crowds. And no "Kick Push," either.

*the Rocky theme, Eye of the Tiger which is also a Rocky theme, the whimsical song that plays when someone gets KTFO, Here Come the Hawks, it might actually be only four

Pellico has to be nearing retirement age anyway. He used to be good when he'd throw in stuff like the Phantom of the Opera theme, the old Hamm's beer jingle and the personalized songs like the Dallas theme for JR and Zorba the Greek for Chelios, but that was forever ago.

Lowering ticket prices so the diehard fans that got priced out after 2010 could come back more than once a year would be the best way to improve atmosphere but we know that ain't happening.

Anyway, fuck Fels. Go watch women's wrestling and the fucking Fire if you want instead of trying to turn the Hawks into that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
So I guess they had a podcast where they talked about the Sox and sprayed to some other fields. Why the fuck do I want to hear them talk about anything other than the Hawks? We already know they are unprepared and are just bullshitting with their Hawks topics so I want to hear them talk about the Sox rebuild which is not their area of expertise? I’d rather torture myself and listen to Bernstein and McKnight before them. And all their wrestling and high brow music topics- keep it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:25 am 

Great podcast today.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:52 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Great podcast today.

:lol: We all know you have shitty taste and are a troll.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:41 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I70p8QPq0k4

In dubious support of my argument for more/all theater organ, kindly enjoy this rendition of "Chicago" that merely aspires to swing like a goddamn barn door.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:47 am 

Pat Foley is cancelled

https://faxesfromuncledale.com/its-prob ... ley-to-go/

Quote:
Believe me, I know all the arguments that are coming from the people who I would bet good money own a pair of Zubas or six. “It was just a joke.” “It’s Pat Foley, he’s old.” “Well, that does sound like a shortstops name!” Heard it all before, will hear it all again.

At the base of it, however innocent or off the cuff it was, it reinforces that if you have a Hispanic last name, hockey isn’t for you. You don’t belong. However softly it might do that, it still does that. Which seems like maybe not the best method of carrying out, “Hockey is for everyone.” Certainly, participation in hockey faces what we’ll call an uncertain future if they don’t engage with and get Hispanic kids involved. Also, the best player on the league’s signature team is Hispanic (Auston Matthews). Hockey is already seen, and often is, as a whites-only-and-keep-it-that-way. That doesn’t fly in this day and age.

Now, is this alone a fireable offense from Foley? I struggle to get there, but I could see where people might. I think an earnest apology on the next game broadcast would suffice, along with an acknowledgment from the Hawks themselves. The Hawks do a fair amount of outreach with minority communities here in town, and this would run counter to that and something they definitely should want to get out in front of to not undo any of that work. Though man would I want to be a fly on the wall with whatever team employee has to tell Foley to do this.

Everyone loses the fastball. Throw some casual racism on this pile, and what you’re left with is something the Hawks simply don’t need anymore, and could enhance. It’s time.

"Is this so bad that he should be fired? I won't say so directly, but I'll let other people say so. But I don't like him in the first place, so it's okay if he does get fired. And if you disagree, you're white trash."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Oh please. Those shitbags can't go away soon enough.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Harry Caray wrote:
How can a guy from Mexico lose a ball in the sun ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:01 pm 

He's such a little worm for saying that he doesn't think it's a fireable offense, no no, not him, but others might, but at the end, "it's time." At least have the courage to be the sniveling little unappointed hall monitor that you are.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:02 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Pat Foley is cancelled

https://faxesfromuncledale.com/its-prob ... ley-to-go/

Quote:
Believe me, I know all the arguments that are coming from the people who I would bet good money own a pair of Zubas or six. “It was just a joke.” “It’s Pat Foley, he’s old.” “Well, that does sound like a shortstops name!” Heard it all before, will hear it all again.

At the base of it, however innocent or off the cuff it was, it reinforces that if you have a Hispanic last name, hockey isn’t for you. You don’t belong. However softly it might do that, it still does that. Which seems like maybe not the best method of carrying out, “Hockey is for everyone.” Certainly, participation in hockey faces what we’ll call an uncertain future if they don’t engage with and get Hispanic kids involved. Also, the best player on the league’s signature team is Hispanic (Auston Matthews). Hockey is already seen, and often is, as a whites-only-and-keep-it-that-way. That doesn’t fly in this day and age.

Now, is this alone a fireable offense from Foley? I struggle to get there, but I could see where people might. I think an earnest apology on the next game broadcast would suffice, along with an acknowledgment from the Hawks themselves. The Hawks do a fair amount of outreach with minority communities here in town, and this would run counter to that and something they definitely should want to get out in front of to not undo any of that work. Though man would I want to be a fly on the wall with whatever team employee has to tell Foley to do this.

Everyone loses the fastball. Throw some casual racism on this pile, and what you’re left with is something the Hawks simply don’t need anymore, and could enhance. It’s time.

"Is this so bad that he should be fired? I won't say so directly, but I'll let other people say so. But I don't like him in the first place, so it's okay if he does get fired. And if you disagree, you're white trash."

Foley should not even apologize. Goff had an entire segment on how the NHL could not connect with people because it was too white. Not a peep. Foley tells a dad joke, and he needs to be fired.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:03 pm 

Thing of it is, hockey does have serious problems with many would-be players feeling unwelcome. It's because they can't afford to participate, not because Pat Foley made a dumb joke on a preseason hockey game no one watched.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Recently in the news...
Quote:
A North Shore club that sued to gain entrance to the top tier of Illinois youth hockey has failed to sway a federal judge, who dismissed the case this week but will allow the club to try again.

The Reapers Hockey Association said the Amateur Hockey Association of Illinois, or AHAI, refused to grant a charter that would allow the startup club to join the elite level known as Tier 1. AHAI, which serves as the state’s affiliate for governing body USA Hockey, allows only four clubs to participate at Tier 1, and those slots are already full.

The Reapers filed an antitrust lawsuit claiming that the rule allows the existing clubs to charge a premium to players who aspire to play in college and professionally. They said the rule also means that many players who are good enough to play at the sport’s top level are being denied the opportunity.

But Judge Manish Shah didn’t buy the argument. In an opinion issued Thursday, he wrote that those players haven’t been locked out entirely from the sport.

The complaint "offers no reason to believe that an amateur hockey player living in the North Shore suburban region of Chicago (the apparently harmed consumer according to the complaint) has no options among economic substitutes — other sports, other states, other ways to play hockey that are challenging and satisfying,” Shah wrote.
---------------------------
AHAI beat back a similar lawsuit earlier this year. Rink operator Black Bear Sports Group accused AHAI of preventing it from forming a travel team in a facility it owns in Glen Ellyn. A judge tossed out the complaint, saying Black Bear hadn’t filed an application with AHAI before turning to the courts. The company is appealing

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Where I always get lost in these situations is how easily people make the leap from What pat said was stupid or insensitive to Pat said it's whites-only-and-keep-it-that-way sport. There is no grey area. One group are complete victims and the other is beyond redemption when it's really pretty innocuous.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:10 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Kirkwood wrote:
Recently in the news...
Quote:
A North Shore club that sued to gain entrance to the top tier of Illinois youth hockey has failed to sway a federal judge, who dismissed the case this week but will allow the club to try again.

The Reapers Hockey Association said the Amateur Hockey Association of Illinois, or AHAI, refused to grant a charter that would allow the startup club to join the elite level known as Tier 1. AHAI, which serves as the state’s affiliate for governing body USA Hockey, allows only four clubs to participate at Tier 1, and those slots are already full.

The Reapers filed an antitrust lawsuit claiming that the rule allows the existing clubs to charge a premium to players who aspire to play in college and professionally. They said the rule also means that many players who are good enough to play at the sport’s top level are being denied the opportunity.

But Judge Manish Shah didn’t buy the argument. In an opinion issued Thursday, he wrote that those players haven’t been locked out entirely from the sport.

The complaint "offers no reason to believe that an amateur hockey player living in the North Shore suburban region of Chicago (the apparently harmed consumer according to the complaint) has no options among economic substitutes — other sports, other states, other ways to play hockey that are challenging and satisfying,” Shah wrote.
---------------------------
AHAI beat back a similar lawsuit earlier this year. Rink operator Black Bear Sports Group accused AHAI of preventing it from forming a travel team in a facility it owns in Glen Ellyn. A judge tossed out the complaint, saying Black Bear hadn’t filed an application with AHAI before turning to the courts. The company is appealing

Judge was corrrect. Tier 1 is for elite players. Try out. If you don't make it, there are other options....no shortage of clubs.
I can assure you the number of hockey clubs is not the problem. There is however, a HUGE, shortage of available ice to rent. A New club would be gasoline on that fire.

Been there, done that. My AHAI days are OVAH!

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:32 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
Curious Hair wrote:
He's such a little worm for saying that he doesn't think it's a fireable offense, no no, not him, but others might, but at the end, "it's time." At least have the courage to be the sniveling little unappointed hall monitor that you are.

Why does he even bother? It's clear he literally likes nothing about the current Hawks or their fans. Go start a wrestling or soccer blog instead.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:41 pm 

I think he would love to quit but has already taken people's money for annual subscriptions and has locked himself in, which, say what you will, is more honorable than Julie squatting on sustaining donations and doing nothing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:23 am 

Quote:
– If you’re a “stick to sports” kind of fella (and you absolutely are a fella if that’s your mind-set, and if you don’t like that assumption, fuck you), skip this bullet. Or better yet, don’t.

Pat Foley is the voice many of us have followed forever and ever now. We were all pissed when the Hawks flicked him like a well-rolled booger back in the dark days, and we were overjoyed to have him back initially. But it’s probably time for this motherfucker to go.

At the tail-end of the first period, Nick Gismondi did a nice spot about how 35 Olympian women hockey players were playing a four-team tourney at Fifth Third Arena (or whatever corporate horseshit it’s named after). He mentioned that the morning before today’s game, they were skating with about 65 girls, aged 5–16, and that the tourney was to raise awareness and support of women’s hockey. Gismondi said that Hilary Knight made a comment about maybe having Foley and Edzo call a couple of their games. After sharing a laugh, Foley said, “Well, that’s be the best-looking team we’ve ever covered.”

That’s grade-A, unfiltered horseshit.

I’m sure Foley thought it was a cute compliment. It isn’t. These are Olympic athletes, some of whom have won gold motherfucking medals. They take their sport seriously and are doing their absolute best to make others take it seriously too. To have someone as well-known as Pat Foley minimizing what these women are doing by commenting foremost on their looks is a waste of everyone’s time. Foley’s job, whether you like it or not, is to inform people who are listening about the intricacies of the game. By minimizing these women’s accomplishments to make what he likely thought was a cute joke, he’s established that this tournament is a joke, which is unfiltered dogshit.

As a professional broadcaster, a person whose sole job is to communicate expertise to people who might not otherwise know better, Foley should absolutely know better. Fuck you if you think it’s innocuous, because it isn’t. Framing women’s hockey as a glorified peep show isn’t something we need or want (and again, if you think this isn’t a big deal, I can’t suggest that you fuck yourself more than I am right now).

While I’m pretty sure it was just Foley being out of touch, rather than consciously shitty, it’s inexcusable.

If there’s one positive that came out of this dick tripping, it’s the exasperation that came from Edzo, who tried to cover for his out-of-touch partner as much as possible with a “You hope everyone gets a chance to watch” comment immediately after.

Women aren’t just things to look at. Believe it or not, they’re living, breathing, shitting fucking people with goals, ambition, and aspirations. Foley either needs to either get with it or hang it fucking up.

I remember reading something somewhere many years ago about how "this is unforgivable" is a big trope in Japanese works: literature and film, but also video games and animation. I probably read about it in regard to Final Fantasy VI. While the phrase sounds silly and puffy to American ears, it's gravely serious business in Japanese culture, because they tend to believe in forgiveness over time and in being careful with their words, so the idea that someone or something is truly beyond forgiveness speaks to an enormity that we simply tend not to conceptualize. I'm thinking about that in the context of Pat Foley joking that women hockey players look better than the game's scraggly-bearded men do, and how that, to this junior Drew Magary and his xerox of the shit-shit-fuck-fuck-women-are-precious shtick, cannot be excused. If he stopped for a second to think about who said what here, he would probably realize the folly of his tirade.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:28 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Curious Hair wrote:
Quote:
– If you’re a “stick to sports” kind of fella (and you absolutely are a fella if that’s your mind-set, and if you don’t like that assumption, fuck you), skip this bullet. Or better yet, don’t.

Pat Foley is the voice many of us have followed forever and ever now. We were all pissed when the Hawks flicked him like a well-rolled booger back in the dark days, and we were overjoyed to have him back initially. But it’s probably time for this motherfucker to go.

At the tail-end of the first period, Nick Gismondi did a nice spot about how 35 Olympian women hockey players were playing a four-team tourney at Fifth Third Arena (or whatever corporate horseshit it’s named after). He mentioned that the morning before today’s game, they were skating with about 65 girls, aged 5–16, and that the tourney was to raise awareness and support of women’s hockey. Gismondi said that Hilary Knight made a comment about maybe having Foley and Edzo call a couple of their games. After sharing a laugh, Foley said, “Well, that’s be the best-looking team we’ve ever covered.”

I’m sure Foley thought it was a cute compliment. It isn’t. These are Olympic athletes, some of whom have won gold motherfucking medals. They take their sport seriously and are doing their absolute best to make others take it seriously too. To have someone as well-known as Pat Foley minimizing what these women are doing by commenting foremost on their looks is a waste of everyone’s time. Foley’s job, whether you like it or not, is to inform people who are listening about the intricacies of the game. By minimizing these women’s accomplishments to make what he likely thought was a cute joke, he’s established that this tournament is a joke, which is unfiltered dogshit.

As a professional broadcaster, a person whose sole job is to communicate expertise to people who might not otherwise know better, Foley should absolutely know better. Fuck you if you think it’s innocuous, because it isn’t. Framing women’s hockey as a glorified peep show isn’t something we need or want (and again, if you think this isn’t a big deal, I can’t suggest that you fuck yourself more than I am right now).

While I’m pretty sure it was just Foley being out of touch, rather than consciously shitty, it’s inexcusable.

If there’s one positive that came out of this dick tripping, it’s the exasperation that came from Edzo, who tried to cover for his out-of-touch partner as much as possible with a “You hope everyone gets a chance to watch” comment immediately after.

Women aren’t just things to look at. Believe it or not, they’re living, breathing, shitting fucking people with goals, ambition, and aspirations. Foley either needs to either get with it or hang it fucking up.

I remember reading something somewhere many years ago about how "this is unforgivable" is a big trope in Japanese works: literature and film, but also video games and animation. I probably read about it in regard to Final Fantasy VI. While the phrase sounds silly and puffy to American ears, it's gravely serious business in Japanese culture, because they tend to believe in forgiveness over time and in being careful with their words, so the idea that someone or something is truly beyond forgiveness speaks to an enormity that we simply tend not to conceptualize. I'm thinking about that in the context of Pat Foley joking that women hockey players look better than the game's scraggly-bearded men do, and how that, to this junior Drew Magary and his xerox of the shit-shit-fuck-fuck-women-are-precious shtick, cannot be excused. If he stopped for a second to think about who said what here, he would probably realize the folly of his tirade.

Seems like they are still pissed that nobody reads their rag anymore because the Hawks became successful. If I want that type of commentary, I'll turn in and listen to a cookie-cutter like ZZ do the Cubs.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:05 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
Quote:

I don't think he would. He's adopted a stupid pose and he's committed to it.

And of course women are "things to look at". So are men. That's why we buy the products we do. Although I can understand why a guy who looks like he does wishes it weren't true.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:56 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Jesus, what a unnecessary rant over a small joke. And the edgy language has become unreadable

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:44 am 

What is hockey other than "a thing to look at"?

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:49 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:

I just don't like the pretense and phoniness. He acts like he doesn't have any preferences in how a woman looks. As if there was a pile of dogshit that liked the Pixies, the Cubs, and social justice he would want to stick his cock in it. It's just horseshit he uses to make himself seem better than others.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:54 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:

I just don't like the pretense and phoniness. He acts like he doesn't have any preferences in how a woman looks. As if there was a pile of dogshit that liked the Pixies, the Cubs, and social justice he would want to stick his cock in it. It's just horseshit he uses to make himself seem better than others.

It's phony self-loathing playacting. He admits he's just a mediocre white man. So he's better than the other mediocre white men.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:19 pm 

Fels is pretty plainly gunning for Foley's scalp and it's disgusting.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:01 am 

It’s one thing to be politically correct but to be so ultra-sensitive and brash about it is ridiculous. I’m more liberal/PC than most on this forum and I can’t decide if that is even an insult from Foley. I still listen to their podcasts but I have unfollowed all of them on Twitter and definitely will never pay for any of their products.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:18 am 

Didn't Hilary Knight pose nude for the ESPN magazine, and doesn't she generally trade on her appearance in ways that most women hockey players do not? I thought she was kind of the hockey Alex Morgan, the Cute Girl We Can All Agree On lest everyone think women's sports are just for ill-tempered lesbians. So of course, the immediate response to "Hilary Knight wants you to call her games" is almost supposed to be "oh good, she's pretty."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
DAC wrote:
It’s one thing to be politically correct but to be so ultra-sensitive and brash about it is ridiculous. I’m more liberal/PC than most on this forum and I can’t decide if that is even an insult from Foley. I still listen to their podcasts but I have unfollowed all of them on Twitter and definitely will never pay for any of their products.

An insult to the Male hockey players, perhaps.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:41 am 

Yeah, that was how I read it: the old joke about hockey players is that they're missing their teeth, fer cryin' out loud.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next