It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:09 pm 

I blame Stan solely for the contract but hopefully a day or two off can help the aging vet get something back in the tank.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:10 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I am not sure what surprises me more. The contract Stan gave or the cliff he fell off of so fast. Unless the Hawks said Seabs gets the thank you contract don't question it.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
pittmike wrote:
I am not sure what surprises me more. The contract Stan gave or the cliff he fell off of so fast. Unless the Hawks said Seabs gets the thank you contract don't question it.

Put me down for the latter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
(entirely wrong thread to post about the Bears press conference .... I'll see myself out)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
pittmike wrote:

Bigger problem was he was already falling off the cliff when he he was given the contract.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I just watched Q's mid day press gathering. Talked around it for a while but made it clear that 7 has been passed up by multiple defensemen.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:50 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Bigger problem was he was already falling off the cliff when he he was given the contract.

Definitely. It's on the short list of worst contracts in the NHL and might be the worst.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:37 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
I blame Stan solely for the contract but hopefully a day or two off can help the aging vet get something back in the tank.

Why? What if it came from a higher position than Stan?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:53 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Cashman wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

Probably some truth to that. There are probably 4-5 players on this dynastic era of the team that are not only untouchable but get or will get paid in this manner. Maybe upper management never wants to have a pr blunder for fan feelings like losing a Hull, Savard or Roenick again.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
pittmike wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

Probably some truth to that. There are probably 4-5 players on this dynastic era of the team that are not only untouchable but get or will get paid in this manner. Maybe upper management never wants to have a pr blunder for fan feelings like losing a Hull, Savard or Roenick again.

I think Seabrook was all McD. I think the $10mill a year contracts given to Tazer and Kane were also, but I can not blame him. Unless Seabrook is traded without retaining salary or does a Hossa, I think this is the end of the cup pursuit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Notice how great the PP was on a night where neither 2 nor 7 were used on it. Just keep using 82 and 44 on the PP, perhaps 42 as well

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:49 am 

Cashman wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Hawkeye Vince wrote:

I think Seabrook was all McD. I think the $10mill a year contracts given to Tazer and Kane were also, but I can not blame him. Unless Seabrook is traded without retaining salary or does a Hossa, I think this is the end of the cup pursuit.

I will say the Toews and Kane contracts made sense at the time as the NHL just signed the huge Canadian TV deal and expectations were for the cap to explode int he following years. No one could have foreseen the collapse of oil prices and their role in sinking the Canadian dollar. If that doesn't happen, you'd see those deals as bargains today.

The Seabrook extension is of course bad and most of us said that when it was signed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:14 am 

I think that's the key point. You could see Seabrook at the extension being a 3/4 defensemen but with the contract signing you had to move several to keep him around.

yes, this was all about the optics to the public. What happens when they are forced to trade a Patrick Kane or Toews to be able to pay some other young players?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:53 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Notice how great the PP was on a night where neither 2 nor 7 were used on it. Just keep using 82 and 44 on the PP, perhaps 42 as well

Keith does NOTHING on the PP. Can't enter, can't shoot accurately, can't get his shot through, tries these damn shot-passes or shots off the board that never work. He is so indecisive. Nothing is ever quick.

Oesterle was getting his shot through and moving the puck around. Keep him there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I will say the Toews and Kane contracts made sense at the time as the NHL just signed the huge Canadian TV deal and expectations were for the cap to explode int he following years. No one could have foreseen the collapse of oil prices and their role in sinking the Canadian dollar. If that doesn't happen, you'd see those deals as bargains today.

The NHL's cap system is broken in a number of ways, but being subject to the fluctuations of Canadian currency is probably second-biggest behind working off an arithmetic mean with major outliers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:27 am 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/for ... -contract/

Lazerus hit a new low with this article.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:31 pm 

DAC wrote:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/for-blackhawks-brent-seabrooks-value-goes-beyond-55-million-contract/

Lazerus hit a new low with this article.

So can we send him to go tend to Crawford's boo-boo and keep him off the ice for a while?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:49 pm 

I'm going to say it, but Seabrook needs to lose the "A". There is no excuse for him quitting on the play because he assumed icing would be called. The arm of the linesman never went up and there was no whistle. You can't quit until the the whistle is blown. Give the "A" to Kane.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:20 pm 

Seabrook needs to be shot in the kneecap and take two or three years on LTIR to fully recover.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
We all wish we had the old Toews.