It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: @ Wild: It’s Over
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
A quick 2-0 defecit, followed by a failed 5-3 advantage for nearly two minutes.

It sure was fun while it lasted. :cry:

Post subject: Re: @ Wild: It’s Over
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:41 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Yea, I wasn't expecting a ton this year but the drop off has been pretty eye opening.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
I admit I cashed-out after the first goal.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I’m watching but I’m not engaged with it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

How does a team go from the #1 seed last year to missing the playoffs the following year?

With the same core. That's amazing.

I doubt any NBA or NHL team has done that. Witch the same core of stud players. Bulls did it after 98 but we all know why that happened.

8 teams make it and they dropped this much as a regular season team?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:52 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Beardown wrote:
How does a team go from the #1 seed last year to missing the playoffs the following year?

Lose a Vezina-level goalie to a concussion and one of the best backcheckers of all time to skin failure.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
At least this happened now so they can dump as much of this shit sandwich off as they can at the deadline as opposed to after they traded away some assets to make a run.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Curious Hair wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Lose a Vezina-level goalie to a concussion and one of the best backcheckers of all time to skin failure.

Well, besides that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:55 pm 

Beardown wrote:

With the same core. That's amazing.

I doubt any NBA or NHL team has done that. Witch the same core of stud players. Bulls did it after 98 but we all know why that happened.

8 teams make it and they dropped this much as a regular season team?

The Bruins won the President’s Trophy in 2014 and missed the playoffs the next 2 years. They are back to contention status.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:07 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Curious Hair wrote:
Beardown wrote:

However, weren’t they also the first 1 seed in NHL (and NBA) history to get swept by an 8 seed, and that was WITH said goalie and backchecker.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:19 am 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Beardown wrote:

But the goalie loss shouldn't mean they're not at least an 8 seed. And they had Crawford for the first 20 games or so. Right now they're not even a 10th in their conference. I mean if Crawford is that important then why are you paying Kane and Toews 10 million. If it's all about the great goalie.

I'm not saying they should be great. Just an 8 seed, at the very least, for the love of God. It doesn't make sense.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:53 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Beardown wrote:

However, weren’t they also the first 1 seed in NHL (and NBA) history to get swept by an 8 seed, and that was WITH said goalie and backchecker.

The Hawks get off on a technicality because there aren't "8 seeds" in the NHL anymore, just second wild cards, even though we all know the last team into the conference playoffs is the 8 seed -- not that that's keeping anyone any warmer at night.

Quote:
I mean if Crawford is that important then why are you paying Kane and Toews 10 million. If it's all about the great goalie.

As the Hawks evolved (or devolved?) from a possession offense to more of a run-and-gun offense largely due to a weakened blue line that couldn't flip the ice as effectively as it used to, Crawford has been called upon to do more and more, and for the most part he has. The expectation with Scotty Bowman in charge would be that the Hawks goalie would always be a Chris Osgood who only had to be good enough to manage a low number of shots on goal against. Of course, once the defense was down to 2, 7, 4, and some picked-over bones, it didn't turn out that way. Fortunately, Crawford -- who, lest we forget, was drafted out of the trial-by-fire Q with a fair bit of pedigree early in the loaded '03 draft -- was up to the task and has earned his pay.

Now, can the Blackhawks draft/develop their way back to getting by with an Osgood goalie? I don't think so, and that's not an indictment of the Blackhawks, that's just the NHL we have now. As someone who lived through the Dead Puck Era, I want to skin myself alive for saying this, but...the game has gotten too fast. The game more than ever is built around speed and maximizing shot attempts, and while those sound like good things on paper, it has led to a certain artlessness: you're not watching the Red Army out there playing with finesse and creativity, it's just a lot of dump-and-chase back and forth with shot attempts from anywhere you're standing. Patrick Kane is no Connor McDavid in terms of raw speed; the reasons Kane will eventually be the greatest American player of all time are his hands and his elusiveness. That's generational stuff and I don't think Hockey Canada or USA Hockey are teaching or nurturing that skill set. Rather, they seem to be assembly lines for the guys you saw jumping from Wilkes-Barre to Pittsburgh who are fast and north-south but don't have a great deal of creativity. But it works (at least when Sidney Crosby is there). If everyone is gonna be sprinting and puck-chucking for the next few years, you're not going to be able to hide a merely adequate goalie in net.

As for Toews and Kane making too much, they do, and there's no excuse for Toews being as bad as he is, but I will say that the Canadian dollar took a precipitous drop that no one seemed to see coming or could hedge against pursuant to the CBA, so giant chunks of league revenue have been disappearing into thin air on the exchange rate and suppressing the cap. Not much you can do about that unless you're Tampa Bay and you're apparently such a motherfucking wonderland that elite/generational players will leave millions of dollars on the table to play there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:22 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
None of them make too much. They have given their fans more than any other team in this town and they make peanuts in comparison to them. The cap is a fucking joke in this league.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:17 am 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
None of them make too much. They have given their fans more than any other team in this town and they make peanuts in comparison to them. The cap is a fucking joke in this league.

Agreed.

Sad to see what they are this year. But their run over the last few years have been one of the more enjoyable sports times of my life.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz

You can't look at their contracts without the context of the salary cap. Seabrook's contract is the worst in the NHL and Toews is getting there.

And let's not forget that the Hawks in addition to losing Crawford have lost two defensive studs in Hossa and Kruger. Kruger routinely took 2 slugs and treaded water on the 4th line. Plus, Saad has been a failure and you gave up a 70-pt player in the process. And I don't want to hear any more about Hammer. He would not have solved this problem. Possession-wise, Murphy has easily been the best dman on the Hawks this year.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:05 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Lazerus is such a water-carrying, team apologist. I stopped following him on Twitter a while ago but someone retweeted his bullshit and I couldn't help myself.

I get it, Lazerus. The players are friendly with you because they are generally decent human beings so you think you are their friend. They gave you some interviews which allowed you to write a book so you think you owe them. But stop going on Twitter and defending the team and the overpaid core. It's really pathetic and a horrible look for a beat writer.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
The Athletic (I finally subscribed, it is Ogie's fault) had a table describing how the defensemen fare when trying to move the puck from their own zone. It was pretty ugly, and everyone besties Keith and Oesterle were basically fuck ups.

This is a team with one top row defenseman, one or maybe two second row guys, and six replacement level guys trying to fill the other three spots.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:52 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's

I do not like living with contracts for past performance....Toews hasn't been worth his contract since the last cup.

the Germans HAVE bombed Pearl Harbor...it IS over.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.