It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
I get it but it still sucks.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Any word on how that impacts the salary cap?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:08 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I don't think it will unless he files for retirement, which would trigger the recapture penalty. Nothing's really stopping him from continuing to collect a salary.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:16 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I don't think it will unless he files for retirement, which would trigger the recapture penalty. Nothing's really stopping him from continuing to collect a salary.

They got relief this year, if I recall.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:22 pm 

Yeah, there's already a precedent for this through Chris Pronger, Johan Franzen, and Pascal Dupuis, who were all "no longer playing hockey" without retiring. The Hawks will continue to work around his full cap hit on LTIR than take on the slightly lower but non-negotiable dead cap space. I think even trading his contract would trigger recapture, too.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I missed him this year.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:55 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
I missed him this year.

He was easy to like. Just went about his business. Strong with the puck. Great sniper. And responsible from a defensive perspective. It’s a shame players have to get old.....

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
The HOF is waiting

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 3:59 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
The HOF is waiting

Yup. Anyone who disagrees needs to be blasted right in the face. No debate nonsense. Just as soon as they finish their thought your fist connects with their face.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:00 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
I missed him this year.

He was easy to like. Just went about his business. Strong with the puck. Great sniper. And responsible from a defensive perspective. It’s a shame players have to get old.....

So many times we'd use him as an example of what to do or just comment on great plays. Great to watch.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:07 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
denisdman wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
I missed him this year.

So many times we'd use him as an example of what to do or just comment on great plays. Great to watch.

Yeah for hockey families, he has to be a model of a great two way player. He just did it all and with class.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
I didn't follow him closely before coming to the Blackhawks. He seemed snakebit. He comes here and for 4 of 5 years or thereabout he gave exactly what was needed on a given shift. It was amazing. He single handedly impacted the on ice momentum of the game. His loss last year spoke volumes to bow important he was to the team's success.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:24 pm 

I don't want to be a prick here, but calling Marian Hossa "defensively responsible" is an understatement akin to saying Brett Hull "chipped in on offense." As fine a scorer as he was, maybe his greatest strength was chasing down opposing puck carriers like they were international fugitives and springing possessions off takeaways. He was a huge contributor to all three championship teams, of course, but it was 2010 when it felt like he was some kind of unstoppable cyborg creating goals out of nowhere. And that's just his Chicago years, not counting his run with the Senators and god year with the Wings.

Without question, the best two-way winger of the last 15-20 years (Bergeron and Sakic are centers, and Sakic was winding down as Hossa was heating up), and "best two-way winger since _______" is something I can't go back far enough to fill in. His goal against Nashville in the playoffs coming out of the box (another one where, if I remember correctly, he willed a goal out of nothing) is an all-time great Blackhawks moment, up there with Kane's Cup-winner, 17 Seconds, and Seabrook vanquishing Detroit, rank as you please.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:34 pm 

Well said, CH, but don't forget his best few years were wasted on the Thrashers. They made the playoffs one of those years just to get swept in the first round if I recall correctly.

Greatest two way forward I've ever seen play.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:34 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
I didn't follow him closely before coming to the Blackhawks. He seemed snakebit. He comes here and for 4 of 5 years or thereabout he gave exactly what was needed on a given shift. It was amazing. He single handedly impacted the on ice momentum of the game. His loss last year spoke volumes to bow important he was to the team's success.

The year he was with the Red Wings is when I started watching hockey. I'd get so mad because he was always fucking up the Blackhawks. That fucking guy! We got Hossa'd! I was so glad to have him here in 2010 and so happy he finally won a cup.

Even when at games, I'd follow his play and not the puck.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:40 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:
Well said, CH, but don't forget his best few years were wasted on the Thrashers. They made the playoffs one of those years just to get swept in the first round if I recall correctly.

Greatest two way forward I've ever seen play.

I was trying to ignore the atrocity of Hossa's 100-point seasons being wasted on that garbage organization. And yes, they won the division in 2007 and got swept by the Rangers. It all went downhill from there for them. Maybe Ottawa wins the Cup in '06 or '07 if they had Hossa instead of Heatley (who was a fine scorer in his prime then, but no Marian Hossa).

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:30 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
http://committedindians.com/thank-marian-hossa/

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 1:58 am 

It's a shame that the Selke has been virtually limited to centers, other than Jere Lehtinen, who was a fine player, but no Marian Hossa. Toews won it in 2013 when he centered Saad and Hossa on their path of first-line two-way destruction, and at the peril of inviting more "AHH YOU HATE TOEWS" stuff, you could have made a case for either Toews or Hossa on that one. Tie goes to the centerman, I suppose.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

Is he gonna try to come back? Is his skin problem cured with treatment and a year off?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:49 pm 

You guys want to buy his condo?

https://chicago.curbed.com/2018/5/15/17 ... o-for-sale

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:51 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Is he gonna try to come back? Is his skin problem cured with treatment and a year off?

Are you even paying attention? He said he can't play anymore and is moving back to Slovakia.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Phils' on 35th all you need to know
Curious Hair wrote:
I don't want to be a prick here, but calling Marian Hossa "defensively responsible" is an understatement akin to saying Brett Hull "chipped in on offense." As fine a scorer as he was, maybe his greatest strength was chasing down opposing puck carriers like they were international fugitives and springing possessions off takeaways. He was a huge contributor to all three championship teams, of course, but it was 2010 when it felt like he was some kind of unstoppable cyborg creating goals out of nowhere. And that's just his Chicago years, not counting his run with the Senators and god year with the Wings.

Without question, the best two-way winger of the last 15-20 years (Bergeron and Sakic are centers, and Sakic was winding down as Hossa was heating up), and "best two-way winger since _______" is something I can't go back far enough to fill in. His goal against Nashville in the playoffs coming out of the box (another one where, if I remember correctly, he willed a goal out of nothing) is an all-time great Blackhawks moment, up there with Kane's Cup-winner, 17 Seconds, and Seabrook vanquishing Detroit, rank as you please.

I remember the one he knocked down with his hand and slapped into the net wile the puck was about knee high.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:00 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Are you even paying attention? He said he can't play anymore and is moving back to Slovakia.

:lol:

Dont take your anger out on spaulding

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:06 pm 

That's not Spaulding, that's Beardown!

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
RFDC wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Beardown wrote:

:lol:

Dont take your anger out on spaulding

Wow.

You're in trouble.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah, there's already a precedent for this through Chris Pronger, Johan Franzen, and Pascal Dupuis, who were all "no longer playing hockey" without retiring. The Hawks will continue to work around his full cap hit on LTIR than take on the slightly lower but non-negotiable dead cap space. I think even trading his contract would trigger recapture, too.

Trading does not trigger recapture so long as he doesn't sign his retirement papers.

AZ may trade for him as they only have to pay $1MM to get $5.3MM counted towards their floor