It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Death of the Blackhawks
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:24 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
One bad season (well, one bad season, one playoff sweep, and one first-round out) has the organ-eye-zation bleeding money and viewers like a hemophiliac. Hockey is D-E-A-D dead in Chicago, hope everyone finally got what they wanted. Meanwhile, the Big Black Studs down the hall can shit up the joint on an indefinite basis and keep making millions of dollars every year.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/ ... serAgent=1
Quote:
So, what now?

"We're not going to have a knee-jerk reaction," Wirtz said. "You can't let your emotions be in control." Crawford "tells me he's okay. We'll see."

Overall, "I think the team will be fine." But, "if things are off at the beginning of the year, that's a different story. . . .Nothing lasts forever."

Asked if that means changes could occur right after the holiday season if the team is doing poorly, Wirtz had a short answer: "Yes."

The Blackhawks' owner conceded that the price of not winning has started to hit his pocketbook. As my colleague Danny Ecker previously reported, team ratings are down, and Wirtz confirmed season ticket renewal rates are off, too. Last year at this time, it was 99 percent, with all but "one person who went to jail and another one who moved out of town," Wirtz quipped. This year, it's 85 percent, despite a price hike, high enough to enable the team to fill slots with people on the waiting list and high enough that all games still are sold out—but still, not 99 percent.

Losing 15% of your season ticketholders is catastrophic, no two ways about it. We'll never go back to the Dark Ages, but it's going to be pretty dim between now and when the kids who grew up with the championship teams can buy tickets of their own -- provided they haven't quit on the NHL like everyone else to beat off to Stephen Curry or whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Damn.... that's quite a drop.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:28 pm 

Days like today are the ones I'm happiest that Jason Goff got kicked off the radio so that I don't have to listen to him YEH YEH YEH all over the Hawks' grave.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Well its not like they'll fold the franchise. If anything this keeps the motivation to win that much higher.

da da dada da dada da dadadada

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:33 pm 

America wrote:
Well its not like they'll fold the franchise.

If Bill didn't die when he did, the franchise was gonna go into the league's receivership like the Coyotes and Expos did. It was like weeks away from what I understand.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:39 pm 

I appreciate the seemingly honest assessment of the situation.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Curious Hair wrote:
If Bill didn't die when he did, the franchise was gonna go into the league's receivership like the Coyotes and Expos did. It was like weeks away from what I understand.

Can you explain this a little. Does the league say you stink and we are taking your toys away or does OrganIzation determine they no longer can carry expenses...other...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:52 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Can you explain this a little. Does the league say you stink and we are taking your toys away or does OrganIzation determine they no longer can carry expenses...other...

If the Wirtzes had said they couldn't pay their bills anymore (which they were close to not being able to doing because the Blackhawks hardly had any revenue by 2007), the rest of the league would have bought the franchise at a fire-sale price and operated it until selling it. This is what happened with the New Orleans Hornets circa the Chris Paul trade veto: the owner ran out of money and threw the keys on the desk.

What happened with the Coyotes was a little different, now that I think about it: the team declared bankruptcy, Jim Balsillie tried to buy them in bankruptcy court so he could move them to Hamilton, the NHL went DEFCON 1 on the thought of a team in Hamilton, and somehow got the court to rule that sports teams are not transferable in bankruptcy because such a sale would circumvent the approval of the other owners. Then the NHL bought the team.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Could an owner technically throw in some say liquor business money and keep it afloat if it wanted to hold onto the franchise? Based solely on the product and the perceived organizational dysfunction I always assumed that was what was going on. I couldn't see how the franchise made any money on its own from about 2003 - 2006.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Ticket prices are too damn high.

Same issue with the Cub. Even though they're a WS contender I'm getting marketing e-mails from the Cub saying weekend Pirates tickets are available.

A lot of words to a simple problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:09 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
Could an owner technically throw in some say liquor business money and keep it afloat if it wanted to hold onto the franchise? Based solely on the product and the perceived organizational dysfunction I always assumed that was what was going on. I couldn't see how the franchise made any money on its own from about 2003 - 2006.

Almost all NHL teams act as loss leaders this way. You get the master lease to an arena and make the real money on concerts, touring shows, parking, and concessions. (This was the undoing of the Atlanta Thrashers: the Hawks didn't need the hockey team to keep the lease, so they got rid of them. On the other hand, the Florida Panthers' ownership can't control the arena without owning the team, so they stay.) In the case of the Dark Ages Blackhawks, they had their 50% of the United Center, but were moving money from Judge & Dolph to the Blackhawks to keep them afloat and had gotten tired of loaning to themselves with no foreseeable end in sight.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:55 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Kirkwood wrote:
Ticket prices are too damn high.

Same issue with the Cub. Even though they're a WS contender I'm getting marketing e-mails from the Cub saying weekend Pirates tickets are available.

A lot of words to a simple problem.

Agreed. The few STH I know were undecided if they were going to renew when I last spoke to them and the reason was simple- the prices were too damn high. For them, they understand the team would not be contending for Cups indefinitely so it wasn't a question of jumping off a bandwagon. Plus, they can hardly sell the tickets nowadays when they can't make a game.

Personally, I haven't gone to a game since 2010 when I last thought the tickets were reasonable. I'd rather spend the couple hundred dollars it would take to go with my wife and spend it on other things and watch the game at home.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:17 pm 

I don't know how the Blackhawks can make the live experience better, but they have to. It's a dreadful atmosphere.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:20 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Curious Hair wrote:
I don't know how the Blackhawks can make the live experience better, but they have to. It's a dreadful atmosphere.

How much more can you change a live hockey game?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:21 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Octopus, lots of octopi

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:23 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
RFDC wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Octopus, lots of octopi

Seriously :lol: there is only so much time to squeeze in the intros, anthem, rock music, blimps and all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:33 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
I dunno I had a blast last game I went to. Everyone was going nuts. It was fun.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
It isn't a good atmosphere for the most part. Maybe if prices come down and fans go again then it will change.

I'd like season tickets. If they get to me it's bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:25 pm 

Darkside wrote:

Were the Hawks trailing at any point? Because they trailed for about 48 minutes of the game I was at and you could practically hear the drink orders from the club seats across the ice. Nothing but grim resignation. I'll never forget the silence eventually being broken by a man yelling "YOU SUCK, ROZSIVAL!"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:43 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:44 pm 

Rozsival didn't even do anything wrong (at that moment). The guy just had to get it out of his system.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:49 pm 

I felt his pain. I'd have understood if he yelled at Seabrook too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:55 pm 

This was 2015. Seabrook was still useful.

Also in that article, Rocky said that giving Toews, Kane, and Keith so much money was the right thing to do at the time, "but now they have to earn it." Damn, dude. Kane and half of Keith were some serious collateral damage on blowing up Toews like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:57 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Curious Hair wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Were the Hawks trailing at any point? Because they trailed for about 48 minutes of the game I was at and you could practically hear the drink orders from the club seats across the ice. Nothing but grim resignation. I'll never forget the silence eventually being broken by a man yelling "YOU SUCK, ROZSIVAL!"

To be fair, they were playing Ottawa.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:58 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
This was 2015. Seabrook was still useful.

Also in that article, Rocky said that giving Toews, Kane, and Keith so much money was the right thing to do at the time, "but now they have to earn it." Damn, dude. Kane and half of Keith were some serious collateral damage on blowing up Toews like that.

Keith shouldn't have been in that comment at all. His cap hit was bargain for a number of years. He's still not the problem. Did he forget Seabrook?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:05 pm 

What could they have done though? Those contracts killed us in some ways but that's what the market was. Hossa contract is hurting them too. They won 3 and really should have won 4 (2014).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:09 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
What could they have done though? Those contracts killed us in some ways but that's what the market was. Hossa contract is hurting them too. They won 3 and really should have won 4 (2014).

There is no excusing the Seabrook contract and all the no-trade clauses. Why does Anisimov have a fucking no-trade clause?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

Almost all NHL teams act as loss leaders this way. You get the master lease to an arena and make the real money on concerts, touring shows, parking, and concessions. (This was the undoing of the Atlanta Thrashers: the Hawks didn't need the hockey team to keep the lease, so they got rid of them. On the other hand, the Florida Panthers' ownership can't control the arena without owning the team, so they stay.) In the case of the Dark Ages Blackhawks, they had their 50% of the United Center, but were moving money from Judge & Dolph to the Blackhawks to keep them afloat and had gotten tired of loaning to themselves with no foreseeable end in sight.

Yep, all of this.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:13 pm 

I have a feeling the Hawks overpaid for Toews and Kane by a little bit to demonstrate that they weren't going to do anything but take care of their franchise players. They weren't going to let themselves look like the bad guy in Toews/Kane negotiations gone awry, and Toews, as a prominent union figure, was never going to do anything but get every cent out of the team (as he should).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:15 pm 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

Yep, all of this.

It's why WirtzDorf was so keen on giving DePaul the UC rent-free: another downtown arena drives down rent or loses arena dates altogether.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.