It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The Draft
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Curious Hair wrote:
DAC wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Wahlstrom probably headed to the Isles with one of their two in a row.

Dobson and Wahlstrom would be quite the coup for the Islanders.

Everything's coming up Islanders. Just gotta get Tavares signed now.

Tavares is signing with the Hawks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:58 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I would love that, because Tavares is one of my favorite players in the league, but it's hard to see him leaving.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:01 pm 

Well, no one will mistake Jamie Benn's draft position for his IQ, holy shit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:41 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Would love for Berggren at 27. Let's keep drafting Swedes!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:50 pm 

27 might get traded.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:32 pm 

Two defensemen under 6'. Not feeling great about the Hawks making it back to the playoffs, was really hoping a trade could get a roster player.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:35 pm 

4 smallish dmen at the tops in the last 2 drafts. Quantity has a quality all its own.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:58 pm 

Great day 2 of the draft. Wise could be an absolute steal at 69. I saw several projections having him go in the 1st round. He was someone that I thought about 28. To get him at 69 more than makes up for the slight reach of Beaudin. Nordgren and Kurashev sound as if they have a lot of upside and were drafted much higher than their rankings.

Detroit killed it! Zadina, Veleno, Berggren, and McIsaac in the first two rounds was stellar.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:33 pm 

Hawks really botched this draft if they came away with two first-round picks who are 3+ years from contributing if they even do at all (the Q is not known for producing defensemen, or really, anything anymore, it's a dead league). The team needs immediate help, whether from a guy you took eighth overall in a strong draft or from a trade for a roster player. But hey, maybe that 5'11" defenseman from a league of turnstiles will show up big in 2022 in time for Jonathan Toews to donate his brain to science!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:19 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Seems like the picks of a GM who isn't going anywhere.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:29 pm 

Excellent observation. No desperation to these picks at all. It makes sense that Quenneville is in clearer danger than Stan, but we just saw Stan consolidate his power in the eternal power struggle with Quenneville and all the Hawks did was have their worst season since the old man was alive. I'm not sure how much longer he should have if the Hawks can't get good fast.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:05 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Hawks really botched this draft if they came away with two first-round picks who are 3+ years from contributing if they even do at all (the Q is not known for producing defensemen, or really, anything anymore, it's a dead league). The team needs immediate help, whether from a guy you took eighth overall in a strong draft or from a trade for a roster player. But hey, maybe that 5'11" defenseman from a league of turnstiles will show up big in 2022 in time for Jonathan Toews to donate his brain to science!

While you can question the direction of the team, the Hawks had a very solid draft. I too wanted the Hawks to make a trade for a top 4 defensemen but considering the lack of movement, I'll assume a deal wasn't available. Did you want to trade the #8 for 2 years of Faulk? I would have traded it for it for Hamilton but Calgary was looking for more. How about Saad for Faulk? I'll pass there. Sure, I preferred Wahlstrom over Boqvist but he's not starting this season in the NHL. Maybe he could pull a Kreider at the end of the season but that would be a best case scenario.

And I am not worried about Q with any of these picks. Q's time in Chicago is just about done. Hell, he's gone by New Years if the team gets off to a bad start. Bowman has made these picks without any consideration to what fits Q's system. Maybe Bowman throws Q a bone by going after Orpik after he is bought out.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:39 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
DAC wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

While you can question the direction of the team, the Hawks had a very solid draft. I too wanted the Hawks to make a trade for a top 4 defensemen but considering the lack of movement, I'll assume a deal wasn't available. Did you want to trade the #8 for 2 years of Faulk? I would have traded it for it for Hamilton but Calgary was looking for more. How about Saad for Faulk? I'll pass there. Sure, I preferred Wahlstrom over Boqvist but he's not starting this season in the NHL. Maybe he could pull a Kreider at the end of the season but that would be a best case scenario.

And I am not worried about Q with any of these picks. Q's time in Chicago is just about done. Hell, he's gone by New Years if the team gets off to a bad start. Bowman has made these picks without any consideration to what fits Q's system. Maybe Bowman throws Q a bone by going after Orpik after he is bought out.

I think why people are pissed at the draft is because we see the window closing, and the draft really didn't help it stay open. If Stan is staying longterm, has he excepted the cup run is over? If so, what is he going to do with a JT and Seabrook?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:05 am 

Cashman wrote:
DAC wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I think why people are pissed at the draft is because we see the window closing, and the draft really didn't help it stay open. If Stan is staying longterm, has he excepted the cup run is over? If so, what is he going to do with a JT and Seabrook?

I think the window is closed. Maybe there is a 10% chance that everything aligns and they make a run to a WCF. The major wildcard in all of this is Crawford. There is absolutely no chance of a run unless he comes back close to 100%. Maybe the Hawks have no confidence in Crawford returning to his former self. They're not going to say it. They are drafting like it. Inquiring about Grubauer suggests it. And there is nothing you can do with the Hawks core right now. You're not trading Seabrook or Toews. They all have NMCs and ridiculous money and term on their contracts. From a business standpoint, they're going to keep things status quo and not commit to a full rebuild. It's not a great time to be a Hawks fan but with 3 Cups no one is going to feel sorry for us.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:06 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
The Keith, Seabs, Toews window is boarded up and closed forever. I'd rather start framing out a new window around Kaner, Debrincat, Schmaltz and all these new guys. They have enough young defensemen to take keith and seabs out behind the barn and put them down eventually. Now figure out how to bury their contracts with them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:12 am 

I know Toews, Seabs and Keith are probably not going anywhere unless it is the dream scenario. Barstool Chief who seems to know a little more than he lets on, doesn't think Crow's issue is substance abuse. I unfortunately, do. I think McD is preventing him from trading some of these bigger named guys. And because of that, I think they are going to lose guys like DeBrincat.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:15 am 

Cashman wrote:
I know Toews, Seabs and Keith are probably not going anywhere unless it is the dream scenario.

A bus crash?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:47 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Cashman wrote:
I know Toews, Seabs and Keith are probably not going anywhere unless it is the dream scenario.

A bus crash?

IF I knew John Tavares would sign, I would of used 1 if not both 1st rd picks to deal Toews to Montreal or Ottawa.