It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: John McDonough
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:31 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Not the same but even Theo says 10 years at a job is probably enough.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Then Toews should become a decent hockey player again. He only has himself to be pissed at. The Captain has been crap for several years running.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
denisdman wrote:
Then Toews should become a decent hockey player again. He only has himself to be pissed at. The Captain has been crap for several years running.

CTE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:40 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I don't really follow hockey but I have a Hawks guy with a lot of connections. As I'm sure most of you guys know, the writing for Q was on the wall once Kitchen got the axe.

Anyway, my guy says that Toews and Kane were almost as pissed as Q was. He said he will not be surprised if Kane requests a trade at the end of the season.

Then Toews hid it well, because while Kane sounded legitimately upset about it and beat himself up over it in remarks to the media, Toews was just like "well, you hate to see that, huh." I know, they're different people, but Kane, to whom I think we've all ascribed the depth of a puddle, at least came up with "what if I had played that game in Vancouver, what if I had tried harder," which is at least something.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:45 pm 

pittmike wrote:

Enough for Stan, maybe. The Danault and Hjalmarsson trades should have punched his ticket out (to say nothing of the Seabrook extension).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Cashman wrote:
but Stan has handed out terrible contracts, and the rumor was Seabrooks deals was McD's idea.

If that's true, then it adds to my theory that McD has some pull in Hockey Ops (which he should not), and if there is any truth to that rumor, then Stan should not be held accountable for the Seabrook deal.

This is increasingly sounding like the Crane Kenney/Sweaty Teddy sitch all over again.

I know the Hawks fans hate Stan these days, but the revisionist history on his tenure is laughable. Yes, he has made some bad deals - all GMs do, but he also came into a nearly impossible situation in trying to clean up Dale Tallon's salary cap mess.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Enough for Stan, maybe. The Danault and Hjalmarsson trades should have punched his ticket out (to say nothing of the Seabrook extension).

Your Danault and Hammer love is blinding reality. Danault has done nothing this year, and as expected, Hammer only played half the season last year, and yes, his specialty is shot-blocking, but he is on pace for 5 whole points this season, provided he plays for 82 games.

Stan swung and missed on these deals, which were, again, cap-driven. He hasn't gained much (if anything) from them, but also really didn't lose much, either.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Shouldn't the bigger issue be, Rocky doesn't seem to know enough about hockey? And that until he does, the Bowmans will be here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:47 pm 

Minooka Meatball wrote:
Your Danault and Hammer love is blinding reality. Danault has done nothing this year, and as expected, Hammer only played half the season last year, and yes, his specialty is shot-blocking, but he is on pace for 5 whole points this season, provided he plays for 82 games.

Stan swung and missed on these deals, which were, again, cap-driven. He hasn't gained much (if anything) from them, but also really didn't lose much, either.

The Danault trade cost them this year's second-round pick in addition to depriving the Hawks of a center when they've been notoriously thin at center. That was not a cap trade, that was a shore-up-for-the-playoffs trade, and neither player in the return delivered. I'll give Quenneville some of the blame in never finding a place for Weise, but ultimately you can't call it anything but a bad trade. Hjalmarsson for Murphy was a "cap trade" that still brought back about 90% of Hjalmarsson's cap hit for someone who's not 90% the hockey player, who still has not dressed for a game this year and at this rate may not at all. That was Stan making the common mistake of thinking production on a bad-record southern team is ever anything but fool's gold.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:49 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I am not fight for Stan. Not much I can do about it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:03 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:

The Danault trade cost them this year's second-round pick in addition to depriving the Hawks of a center when they've been notoriously thin at center. That was not a cap trade, that was a shore-up-for-the-playoffs trade, and neither player in the return delivered. I'll give Quenneville some of the blame in never finding a place for Weise, but ultimately you can't call it anything but a bad trade. Hjalmarsson for Murphy was a "cap trade" that still brought back about 90% of Hjalmarsson's cap hit for someone who's not 90% the hockey player, who still has not dressed for a game this year and at this rate may not at all. That was Stan making the common mistake of thinking production on a bad-record southern team is ever anything but fool's gold.

I give Q 90% of the blame of that trade. The 2 players Stan traded for played on the same line together. They were supposed to protect TT and elevate his game. Q, decided to throw them in the dog house as soon as they were acquired.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:22 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Minooka Meatball wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Danault is an above-average, 3rd line center but he is definitely not the one you cry for as the one who got away. And you're right about Hammer. Love the guy but he was hurt and bad last year while Murphy was arguably the Hawks best dman in spite of Q's vindictive deployments. If those are the worst mistakes that Bowman made then he's looking pretty good.

By the way, Duclair is having a nice season in Columbus. 12 pts in 19 games while getting 3rd line minutes. I'm so glad that Hawks saved that cap space that they are not using instead of keeping him. I know he make the unforgivable sin of making a comment about his minutes to the press.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:38 am 

I wish they would of just traded Hammer for picks, just so they would of had the cap flexibility.