It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:14 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
denisdman wrote:
I am on record as not being a big Q fan. He did way too much line flipping, had no use for young players, ran through assistant coaches like crazy, and generally had a crappy power play for the level of talent.

1) this is every coach
2) this is every coach
3) This is interesting because I haven't given it much thought. If anything, I thought he stuck with guys too long. He started with Torchetti and Haviland, whom he inherited from Savard. Rick Dudley left for Atlanta after 2010 and took Torchetti with him, then everyone in coaching and management got purged by the Winnipeg ownership at the end of the year, whoops. Quenneville brought in his longtime buttmonkey Mike Kitchen to replace Torchetti and he was there for what seemed like forever. When he was fired in 2017, that came from Bowman, not Quenneville, because everyone was in a tizzy that the Hawks broke their chain of command. He was replaced by another ex-Whaler in Ulf Samuelsson who was fired at the same time as Q.

Haviland got sent off in 2012 because if I remember correctly there was some issue with him being a management spy and the players mutinied. Jamie Kompon replaced Haviland and no one seemed to like him much, he went off to go run a team in the Dub and no one exactly stood in front of the door. Kevin Dineen was available after getting fired in Florida and you can't say no to yet another ex-Whaler. He lasted till Q got fired.

So in one assistant slot you have three guys over 10+ seasons with tenures of 2 (inherited), 7, and 1+ (fired en masse), and in the other you have 4 (inherited), 2, and 4+ (fired en masse). I think that's reasonable turnover for assistant coaches.

I think the real indictment of his assistant coaches would be what they go on to do when they leave. Torchetti has bounced between AHL head and NHL assistant as many do. Haviland's been at Colorado College, I think. Dineen's star has tumbled since his second season in Florida and the shame of it is he doesn't even have a Hartford Whalers to go back to as Vice-President of Hangin' Out and Doin' Stuff. Mike Kitchen is probably cleaning Joel Quenneville's house right now. Hockey doesn't have quite the same tradition football has of coaching trees, but no NHL team sought any of these guys out for promotions.

4) yeah that drove us all nuts but at least a good penalty kill correlates with postseason success better than a good power play does

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
DAC wrote:
We know that Q had no use for Kempny and Daley and they went on to contribute to Cup winners after leaving Chicago.

THIS is the only real criticism of Q.
We'll see what happens with the rest of this season, but it's still likely to miss the playoffs, which would have happened if we kept Q. This hot streak is a dollar short and a day late.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
wdelaney72 wrote:
DAC wrote:
We know that Q had no use for Kempny and Daley and they went on to contribute to Cup winners after leaving Chicago.

We'll see what happens with the rest of this season, but it's still likely to miss the playoffs, which would have happened if we kept Q. This hot streak is a dollar short and a day late.

The players criticized his line flipping all the time. I read the beat reporter articles on every game, which have the player quotes. Sometimes it was obvious criticism and other times subtle. It was apparent that players were frustrated with the changes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:33 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
If he stuck with lines that weren't working through losses he'd get blasted for that too. This is Baby's First Hockey Fandom stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
wdelaney72 wrote:
DAC wrote:

He blew the series versus LA too. Fucking Handzus with Kane for half the series. When he finally relented and put Kane with Shaw and Saad they went nuts. I don't think he used Teravainen as best he could either.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I really hope they can unload Gus for something of value. There has to be some team that values a PP QB enough to do it even though he defends like shit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
DAC wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:
DAC wrote:

He blew the series versus LA too. Fucking Handzus with Kane for half the series. When he finally relented and put Kane with Shaw and Saad they went nuts. I don't think he used Teravainen as best he could either.

I'd also say that Q killed the Hawks PP over the last several years. Just look at how it is producing now vs. it did when Q was here. He was running a tired system.