It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: 2019 Off-season
PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Byram is a LH shot, so drafting him would have reflected more on how poorly the Hawks view a guy like Beaudin or Dahlstrom. And they got Vlasic in the 2nd round anyway.

They already have RH D prospects in Boqvist and Mitchell. One of the 3 players was relatively expendable, or at least worth dangling to see what you can get. I'm not sure if they return is what you wanted, but at some point you have too many of one thing you have to balance out your future rosters.

This is a good article (which even admits the Hawks might not have won the trade): https://theathletic.com/1070234/2019/07 ... -nylander/

Quote:
Chicago said as much, with its head scout Mark Kelley telling The Athletic’s Mark Lazerus before the draft: “With all these defensemen we’ve drafted, it’s not our plan that they’re all going to play for the Blackhawks.”

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
I am not as pissed as yesterday, and I am being optimistic about what he is doing post Q..... I am just having a problem if this guy projects to a Hammer type player when we just traded and have 3 guys making $4mill per year. You could of played him, not traded for 1 of the Dmen, and addressed another position. Zawaski(not that I like him), was saying they(hawks) told him early on, they thought he was limited in his growth(jack of all, master of none), and maybe his attitude played a factor. That he was more of a Q defensemen rather than one that fits the current coach.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I'd like to see them unload at least one of the $4mil guys. I'm guessing they will. Stan is not finished.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:44 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
GoldenJet wrote:
I'd like to see them unload at least one of the $4mil guys. I'm guessing they will. Stan is not finished.

It has to be Anisimov because if they now trade Murphy then that will basically cancel out the de Haan acquisition. Taking last year's shitty defense and adding a bonafide top 4 dman and a borderline top 4 dman greatly strengthens their blueline. Hell, even if the Hawks received slightly below-average defensive play that would be a significant improvement from last year. Then add in the improvement of Lehner over Ward/Delia and you have a great shot at making the playoffs.

Keith, Murphy, de Haan, Gus, Maata, Seabrook is not terrible. But if you remove Murphy and put in Dahlstrom or Koekoek and you'll have problems.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
DAC wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

It has to be Anisimov because if they now trade Murphy then that will basically cancel out the de Haan acquisition. Taking last year's shitty defense and adding a bonafide top 4 dman and a borderline top 4 dman greatly strengthens their blueline. Hell, even if the Hawks received slightly below-average defensive play that would be a significant improvement from last year. Then add in the improvement of Lehner over Ward/Delia and you have a great shot at making the playoffs.

Keith, Murphy, de Haan, Gus, Maata, Seabrook is not terrible. But if you remove Murphy and put in Dahlstrom or Koekoek and you'll have problems.

I completely agree.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:27 am 

I really liked the Anisimov acquisition as he was one of my favorite non-Hawks. I really thought he'd bring a lot of size and consistency to one of the top lines for years to come. I do truly think he made Kane and Panarin a lot better that first season, but it has been a struggle since.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:04 pm 

Quote:
The Chicago Blackhawks announced today that they have acquired forward Zack Smith from the Ottawa Senators in exchange for forward Artem Anisimov. Smith's contract has an AAV of $3,250,000 and is signed through the 2020-21 season.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:09 pm 

Excellent, I love losing trades.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:16 pm 

$1.3mil/yr back into the bank over the next two seasons.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Seems like more a physical player for the 4th line, which is fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:33 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
IMU wrote:
Excellent, I love losing trades.

That's a rather strong take. What do you know about Zack Smith that makes him so much worse than Anisimov especially when Smith has a cap hit 1.3 M less than Anisimov?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:41 pm 

Maybe only Curious Hair and a few others here watch more hockey than me. I won't claim the same knowledge that I claim with the other 3 sports, but I'm not a casual Blackhawks fan. Zack Smith isn't some young prospect...he has been around, even if has been for mostly forgettable Senators teams.

He won't help you put pucks into the net. If we want more physicality just to say we improved in that area, mission accomplished. But the Hawks have already had long stretches during the season where they aren't scoring and this can only exacerbate that. In fact...one area where Smith surpasses Anisimov is faceoffs and if Smith is on the wing in a scenario Dach is with the team all season, you don't even use that skill very often.

I'm an Anisimov fan.... I'm a little biased and I haven't hidden that. The writing was on the wall and I knew the Blackhawks were looking to move him. But I can't see how this was the best deal.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
In addition to his physicality he adds is a good defensive forward and is solid on the PK (which is something this team has been awful with recently).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Trading Anisimov was the right move here. We get a better faceoff guy and a guy who is better suited for a bottom 6 role. Anisimov just isn't a good bottom 6 player, but at this stage of his career that is what he needs to be. I'm going to sound like Don Cherry here, but he's a soft Russian.

The Hawks now actually have true center depth for the first time since 2015. You have 4 guys who can actually win faceoffs and even some wingers who have experience playing some center.

Scoring goals wasn't this team's problem last year. Defense was, and defense is not just the responsibility of your blue liners, but is also the responsibility of your forwards, particularly the centers. There is a reason wingers never win the Selke.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Scoring goals wasn't this team's problem last year. Defense was, and defense is not just the responsibility of your blue liners, but is also the responsibility of your forwards, particularly the centers. There is a reason wingers never win the Selke.

THIS...and it will be an even bigger problem should they make the playoffs.

No wow factor to the trade...not a big win, but it wasn't a loss either. Cap relief and there is benefit. I'll take it.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:54 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
My guess is new coach would rather larger sized centers for the speedy scoring wingers. That can be my only guess with this and the draft pick. Or Anisimov was really showing decline and possibly in addition to the coach felt he is a nuisance?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:57 am 

pittmike wrote:
My guess is new coach would rather larger sized centers for the speedy scoring wingers. That can be my only guess with this and the draft pick. Or Anisimov was really showing decline and possibly in addition to the coach felt he is a nuisance?

OO explained it well, just a couple posts above.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
GoldenJet wrote:
pittmike wrote:

OO explained it well, just a couple posts above.

Yeah I should have added I agreed with him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
It's prospect camp and the talent he is going against isn't great, but Dach looks like a 3rd overall pick.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:44 pm 

:king:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:02 am 

https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/news/blo ... -308396290

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 201 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7