It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:24 am 

pizza_Place: geno's
I feel there is a "I am white with predominately white peers, therefore I'm a Blackhawk/Cubs Fan" thing happening in chicago.
Its funny, but once you move away from chicago (meaning totally from the midwest) how completely different "the likely race of a team fan" is.
Granted, after a million years in existence, Hockey still has a large white fan base (which no one can explain why that is)..And there are people that appear to be cub fans all over the world...Its clear that there are cub fans, and then there are those that buy the hat, because its a trendy thing to do.

Im not speaking about that second set of cub "fans"
I mean, the ones that actually are fans...watch the games...when they lose or win...

They seem to be one and the same with the blackhawk fans. And now that we have social media, we see those same people with like 90% white peers, despite the fact of living in the ultra diversified Chicago area..

You know Chicago isnt the only city with multiple races in it. So the idea that it would be somehow "natural" for segregated pairing up wont fly.

I expect to see interracial dating, and such, like I do in New York, Florida, and Arizona (Ive lived in all three)

And only my hometown of Chicago seems to be doing this in sports...

But whenever I see a social media account and they have Cub fam stuff, and they are saying things like "I bleed cubby blue" I KNOW that they are also blackhawk fans.

However, someone that is really into the bulls and Sox, could literally be anyone. Hispanic, black or white...Which is logical to see in a very mixed environment...

this is what causes me to feel being a blackhawk/cubs fan has become some kind of "I am a white Republican" subculture.
I expect a bunch of negative back. But That wont change what I am seeing and have seen for decades. If you disagree, tell me, since youre a blackhawk fan, are you ALSO a Cub Fan? are you white? On social media, are almost ALL of your friends online, white as well? Are you GOP?

If you answered yes to all of those questions, can you really debate back? What I would like to know is why its happening...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:19 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Maybe I am missing the point, but are you saying that no white sox fans are also hawks fans?

Or is John McDonough a stronger common denominator than Gene Honda?

30 years ago I married a (white) white sox fan who is also a blackhawks fan. I am a cubs fan. She has since converted to the Cubs but has remained a hawks fan. She is definitely NOT GOP. I may be, a little.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:46 am 

It's funny how much I disagree with your perception of Chicago and some suburbs being "ultra diversified".

With rents and home prices the way they are, not to mention an ugly area history and continuing practice, I don't think things have changed much since the seventies.

Area residents love to tout food as proof of such. Imo you don't have to look any further than the barbeque and pizza threads to see how separate we still are. Which still isn't the world's biggest deal, just evidence of differences. And even though there are never more than 3 or 4 Blacks posting here are at a time, I don't think the numbers would change much for the larger area and people. Certainly not favorably.

I've lived here my entire life and probably never come across 2/3rd of many of the places or local pursuits talked about here. And I probably have more expansive travels in the area than 95% of the people that I've known through life here.

Edit: this isn't made as an indictment of anyone, but just an observation on our separateness.

Last edited by Regular Reader on Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
The mult-to-actual-poster ratio is getting dangerously high lately.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:57 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I'm a Cub fan and I couldn't care less about hockey.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:01 am 

I wore hockey jerseys in the 80s and 90s and still have a Hawks sweater.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:34 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
It's always seemed to me, a Cub fan, that most Hawks fans were Sox fans...at least at the games. Maybe that's just because I always sit in the 300 level.

Where I live, North Shore, it's mostly Cub fans to begin with...and hockey is big...so locally, it's a Cubs/Hawks thing. You go out to Naperville and it reverses.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:54 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
The black Sox hats look great with the red Blackhawks sweater.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:32 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
GoldenJet wrote:
It's always seemed to me, a Cub fan, that most Hawks fans were Sox fans...at least at the games. Maybe that's just because I always sit in the 300 level.

Where I live, North Shore, it's mostly Cub fans to begin with...and hockey is big...so locally, it's a Cubs/Hawks thing. You go out to Naperville and it reverses.

I know all the good high school hockey teams are on the North Shore, but the North Shore also feels like the cradle of Jews who wax intellectual about the NBA and think hockey is barbaric, so it's complicated, I guess. But I might be wrong, maybe Dan Bernstein was the only one.

Anyway, flawed premise, the Hawks have always had a big south-side base, it's just that there are more Cubs fans to draw from than Sox fans. There are also plenty of Hawks fans who are all-in on hockey and don't give a shit about any other team in town.

themic wrote:
this is what causes me to feel being a blackhawk/cubs fan has become some kind of "I am a white Republican" subculture.

Sorry, Bernie, it was great, but I like the Blackhawks and Cubs, so...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
that's weird. most hawks fans i use to know were almost all wsox fans.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Fuck the Cubs. Go Hawks.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:29 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
don't you remember that when old man wirtz (autocorrects to "worst") kicked the bucket the blackhawks blitzed all of the other major sporting teams in town with ads for the hawks during their ONE GOAL era?

shit, I remember going to a sox vs cubs game right after they won their first cup and not only did they trot out the whole damn team with the cup for a first pitch photo-op, but I must have heard that Chelsea dagger song at least 15-20 times throughout the night. so combine that marketing push (no doubt helped along by former cubs marketing guy John mcdonough) with the bandwagon coming along with the cup wins and thereyago... I don't think it's necessarily a big racial thing unless you wanna stump about the cubs being white republicans like that ome Tribune guy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:33 am 

sinicalypse wrote:
shit, I remember going to a sox vs cubs game right after they won their first cup and not only did they trot out the whole damn team with the cup for a first pitch photo-op

I remember that game! That was the one where the Sox had the WGN cast, they came out of some tape of Lou Piniella and/or Ozzie Guillen complaining about something and Hawk said "I love Tabasco sauce. ... ... ... ...and we'll be back."

But yes, there was a definite attempt to make the Blackhawks the winter continuation of the Cubs in terms of the convivial atmosphere and all that, but I don't think it ever quite took: pushing "they may lose but it's still fun to hang out" was never going to work on an indoor winter sport where the team had already been doing a great deal of losing with no fun to be had. They revised their approach to "if we contend for championships every year, we might get more attention than the Bulls shitting their pants."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:08 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:14 pm 

Minooka Meatball wrote:

Does Hoffy even sleep anymore?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:54 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Curious Hair wrote:
sinicalypse wrote:
shit, I remember going to a sox vs cubs game right after they won their first cup and not only did they trot out the whole damn team with the cup for a first pitch photo-op

I remember that game! That was the one where the Sox had the WGN cast, they came out of some tape of Lou Piniella and/or Ozzie Guillen complaining about something and Hawk said "I love Tabasco sauce. ... ... ... ...and we'll be back."

But yes, there was a definite attempt to make the Blackhawks the winter continuation of the Cubs in terms of the convivial atmosphere and all that, but I don't think it ever quite took: pushing "they may lose but it's still fun to hang out" was never going to work on an indoor winter sport where the team had already been doing a great deal of losing with no fun to be had. They revised their approach to "if we contend for championships every year, we might get more attention than the Bulls shitting their pants."

Pretty much right on target, Cubs/Hawks bandwagon is tied into the experience of attending games and has nothing to do with actually following the results of games. Know people that name pets after Cub players, but if you ask them about the closer situation they well give you a blank stare and go on and on about how much fun they had drinking at Wrigley field. Really can't hate on the teams for creating this type of fandom because it's pretty lucrative, appeals to women, and they really don't have to put out a winning product to have people come to the games for the experience and buy the merchandise to fit in with the group. You also get a ton of corporate sales as companies can dole out Cubs/Hawks tickets to clients or use them as rewards for employees.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:46 am 

Clawmaster wrote:
Pretty much right on target, Cubs/Hawks bandwagon is tied into the experience of attending games and has nothing to do with actually following the results of games.

You think Bulls fans don't just go to games and not follow the results? How come the Bulls can shit up the joint year-in-year-out, sell out nevertheless, but never get tagged with the "shitty fake fans" label that the Cubs and Hawks get? And what about Chicago's favorite hit TV show, The Bears?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:54 am 

You'd be more accurate if you said Cubs/Bulls. The attempt to make hockey attendance more about the bells and whistles surrounding the game rather than the game itself is not working as well as hoped.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:34 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
A lot of bandwagon Hawk fans became bandwagon Cubs. Or maybe it's the whole subtle racism vibe of the Cubs and hockey.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Douchebag wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:

Does Hoffy even sleep anymore?

Sleep is a bad habit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:00 am 

pizza_Place: Favorite Pizza Place
I am assuming the OP does not live in Chicago.

This has to be one of the most ignorant and ridiculous threads ever started.

The majority of his statements are all off base, and he is making HUGE generalizations about a city of almost 3 million, and a metro population of almost 10 million.

Come live in our city for a while, and maybe you will change your attitude.

:roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:49 am 

PortageP_Chi wrote:

The majority of his statements are all off base, and he is making HUGE generalizations about a city of almost 3 million, and a metro population of almost 10 million.

Don't bump your terrible mult posts, mult.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: Favorite Pizza Place
Douchebag wrote:
PortageP_Chi wrote:

Don't bump your terrible mult posts, mult.

This is not my post, and wtf is a mult?