It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cancel Pat Foley !!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
GoldenJet wrote:
Fuck

No that would be if Jason Benetti was the front runner to replace him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:32 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Caller Bob wrote:
They got him!

Doubtful. The mob doesn't wait for over a month to get a head on a stake.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
It's been a long road with a few bumps. I think Foley probably decided it was time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
It is time. I used to love Pat when I mainly listened on the radio as a kid (no home games on tv), and he was awesome. But his act has been tired for a while, and him and Eddie are in such a routine that each game sounds the same with their little act. “Tired players on the ice”, “three, three, three”, “shoutout to our great crew”, or commenting on a kid eating an ice cream cone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
When you get cancelled you don't get to work NEXT season.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:02 am 

I was hoping that when the Hurricanes refused to give John Forslund a reasonable contract that the Blackhawks would find a way to have him split between NBC national and Chicago, and let Pat broadcast a lot less.

But no, they let him go to the fucking Kraken.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:05 am 

pittmike wrote:
When you get cancelled you don't get to work NEXT season.

And you get canned immediately. Thom Brennaman.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I'll miss him. Bummer. Hope the next guy doesn't suck. Put Roenick in!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:07 am 

Spaulding wrote:

I will too. Only Hawks TV announcer I've ever heard.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
denisdman wrote:
It is time. I used to love Pat when I mainly listened on the radio as a kid (no home games on tv), and he was awesome. But his act has been tired for a while, and him and Eddie are in such a routine that each game sounds the same with their little act. “Tired players on the ice”, “three, three, three”, “shoutout to our great crew”, or commenting on a kid eating an ice cream cone.

tough call, but, i believe you are correct. was a breath of fresh air when he first started - hawks had a good team with a terrible owner. unfortunately, they were in the same conference with the oilers. he personally built the tiny, but loud bannerman cult - who was a mediocre goaltender.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:38 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I was hoping that when the Hurricanes refused to give John Forslund a reasonable contract that the Blackhawks would find a way to have him split between NBC national and Chicago, and let Pat broadcast a lot less.

i'd have accepted him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:41 am 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

i'd have accepted him.

It's amazing how bad most small market NHL pbp guys are. I don't even know who the front runner could possibly be, if they are planning on hiring someone this off-season.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:46 am 

agreed.

i was always a fan of the late dave strader. i felt him and foley were the best americans doing play by play. strader was with the red wings in his and foley's early days.

was a treat when strader did hawk playoff games for the network.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: State Line
GoldenJet wrote:
It's been a long road with a few bumps. I think Foley probably decided it was time.

and he is almost 70 anyway, right? Not every broadcaster is going to be Vin Scully or Bob Uecker working into their 80s.

I agree he was better back in the day with Tallon as his partner instead of Olczyk, who I'm glad beat cancer but I've always found terribly overrated as a broadcaster. Wiedeman and Murray have always been the better serious hockey broadcast. Nonetheless, Foley being gone will suck.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Exile on Route 41 wrote:

I agree he was better back in the day with Tallon as his partner instead of Olczyk, who I'm glad beat cancer but I've always found terribly overrated as a broadcaster. Wiedeman and Murray have always been the better serious hockey broadcast. Nonetheless, Foley being gone will suck.

Agreed. Olczyk has been better during these playoffs. The show with Kenny Albert and Brian Boucher has been very good. Why did it take so long to tale Pierre McGuire off the the #1 crew? But I agree Olczyk is way overrated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:19 pm 
1000 CLUB

The first time with Tallon was an amazing listen...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Spaulding wrote:

Isn't he still cancelled for openly hoping for a threesome?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
If your a long time Hawks fan you know that there is no one better at realizing key moments and building emotion/excitement at key points in the game. He is one of the few US based play by play guys that will rip the effort from players on his team. This got him fired by Wirtz back in the day, but it gave him credibility with many.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:08 pm 

Agreed. Won't ever be a equal replacement.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:18 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
First of all, this sucks so much. His retirement statement is very oddly worded. Something's up.

John Wiedeman and Troy Murray should get promoted to television. Wiedeman kind of sounds like Pat, he's great at his job, and I think letting the pictures speak for him will open up more space for Troy, who has gotten really good over the years and can be Pat's successor in terms of ripping these guys when they suck. As for who would do radio, who knows? Pull Judd back from Boston, bring Jason Shaver and Bill Gardner up from Rosemont, or just do a simulcast. Hockey on the radio seems to be just about dead anyway. The Kings and Devils don't even have stations anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:29 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
You truly are all dumb.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:36 pm 

pittmike wrote:
You truly are all dumb.

Please enlighten us, Mike.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:41 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Why would he want to stick around in this environment? Take your money and run. No room for people with a personality in 2021.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:04 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
First of all, this sucks so much. His retirement statement is very oddly worded. Something's up.

John Wiedeman and Troy Murray should get promoted to television. Wiedeman kind of sounds like Pat, he's great at his job, and I think letting the pictures speak for him will open up more space for Troy, who has gotten really good over the years and can be Pat's successor in terms of ripping these guys when they suck. As for who would do radio, who knows? Pull Judd back from Boston, bring Jason Shaver and Bill Gardner up from Rosemont, or just do a simulcast. Hockey on the radio seems to be just about dead anyway. The Kings and Devils don't even have stations anymore.

No simulcast. Simulcasts generally suck, not enough detail for radio/audio streams, too much detail for TV.

Personally, I haven't watched Pat more than a couple of times since I moved away because I don't pay for the NHL.TV feed. Instead, I listen to John/Troy on the WGN app on my phone while I work around the house or cook or something similar. That may change this year if I can get Hawks TV games on ESPN+ at the base $7/month rate, but we will see how that shakes out. I may like John more than Pat right now, and I definitely like Troy more than Edzo and especially Konroyd.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:10 pm 

Wiedeman is technically sound, but has less edge than a butter knife. Sometimes I think after the game is over, he retires to a pod and powers down until the next game. But that's the way it's going. "We need hockey broadcasters to have personality!" "man if I had to go through what the players went through, I might kill myself." "NOT LIKE THAT!"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:13 pm 

No simulcast. Simulcasts generally suck, not enough detail for radio/audio streams, too much detail for TV.

I usually agree. Dallas did it for a long time and their fans never stopped jerking themselves off over how good their broadcast crew was, but Stars fans as a general rule never stop jerking themselves off over anything. I think it works for Buffalo, though, where it's more a radio broadcast that happens to be on TV than a telecast that's also on radio.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:17 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Wiedeman is technically sound, but has less edge than a butter knife. Sometimes I think after the game is over, he retires to a pod and powers down until the next game. But that's the way it's going. "We need hockey broadcasters to have personality!" "man if I had to go through what the players went through, I might kill myself." "NOT LIKE THAT!"

i'm not the biggest fan. his play by play is overload and overkill. has to frantically say "he shoots and scores", when you heard the goal horn sound off and the fans cheering/fan murmur 2 seconds earlier. i do like troy murray with the color.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:28 am 

pizza_Place: State Line
Curious Hair wrote:

I usually agree. Dallas did it for a long time and their fans never stopped jerking themselves off over how good their broadcast crew was, but Stars fans as a general rule never stop jerking themselves off over anything. I think it works for Buffalo, though, where it's more a radio broadcast that happens to be on TV than a telecast that's also on radio.

It worked for Foley and Tallon for many years. I'd rather they simulcast Wiedeman and Murray than have Kendall Coyne Schofield and Generic Joe Buck Soundalike #7286 on TV, or Konroyd and whoever once Edzo decides to follow the horses full-time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Exile on Route 41 wrote:
It worked for Foley and Tallon for many years. I'd rather they simulcast Wiedeman and Murray than have Kendall Coyne Schofield and Generic Joe Buck Soundalike #7286 on TV, or Konroyd and whoever once Edzo decides to follow the horses full-time.

I completely agree with this. I want someone with personality that is entertaining. I'm already watching the game, I don't need a detailed description or the generic analysis which EO gives us every game. Someone on the HF board suggested Versteeg and while that is a meatball choice, it is intriguing. A former player with energy and a little silliness sounds good to me. The Hawks are not going to be good for a while so have a fun broadcast with a lot banter. Plus, former players get the best interviews. Imagine Versteeg or Sharp interviewing Kane, Debrincat, Keith, ect. Make it an easy listen where I am entertained even though the Hawks just lost 6-2.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:27 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Kap just used the term “ forcing your HoF play by play broadcaster to the sidelines “ when discussing the forthcoming sexual abuse scandal .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next