It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fire Derek King
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:38 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
He sucks, just like Frank.

Last edited by Caller Bob on Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Fire Jeremy Colliton
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Favorite Pizza Place
Caller Bob wrote:
He sucks, just like Frank.

Yes. His experience is highly questionable. There are a handful of players on the Hawks roster older than he is, and his only coaching experience is a couple seasons coaching in the AHL. This opportunity was given to him WAY too soon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:40 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I must be an amazing tenant because I occupy a lot of real estate in Bob's tiny brain.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
I am 100% on board of getting rid of this coach now.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:51 pm 

Cashman wrote:
I am 100% on board of getting rid of this coach now.

Absolutely. Like I say, he was given this opportunity way too prematurely after only coaching a couple seasons in the AHL. He is in way over his head, and not really his fault. He was set up to fail from the start.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:33 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
He came into a bad situation and arguably made it worse, but I wouldn't say he was set up to fail. He was the heir apparent from the day Stan plucked him out of Sweden, we all knew it. I really don't think he got the job with the expectation that he would be this bad at it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Stan put him in a terrible situation. He either has to play shitty, washed up players or lose the dressing room by not playing them. Seabs while awful is still very well respected in that dressing room and his double scratch has surely pissed the guys off. Stan fucked this entire situation up and he needs to fix it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:28 pm 

I would like to know if he is the one making the decision to play Crawford.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:04 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
I'm not a fan of the defense; 44 SOG for LA so far.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:19 am 

Cashman wrote:
I would like to know if he is the one making the decision to play Crawford.

I am sure there is some pressure from above to play him. Crawford is in the final year of his contract and becomes a free agent next year. Thank goodness. This Crawford downfall fiasco will be off of our plates next year.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:27 am 

It was a road back-to-back, Crawford was going to start against the weaker team.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
Even apologist fanboy Zawaski is calling for Colliton's head now. Lol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:41 pm 

ZaTwatski stealing my ideas. :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Crow starting vs a Canucks team that has been hot on the PP. It's worth noting Crow has been abysmal in goal on PK's

Tonight could be a disaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Exile on Route 41 wrote:
Even apologist fanboy Zawaski is calling for Colliton's head now. Lol

His wife told him to say it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Frederic McLaughlin would be rolling around in his grave if he knew the kind of stupidity that comes out of this organization these days. You had a chance to be the Detroit Red Wings and now you are the Detroit Lions. If I were Kane I would retire because he is never winning anything with this third rate franchise. Coach Q would have burned the whole place down before he let this happen.

They need to sell this team to someone like Steve Ballmer or Mark Cuban or the owner of the Nets from Russia who actually know how to build championship teams.

Just get it over with and move this team to Indianapolis.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:31 pm 

They never had a chance to be the Detroit Red Wings. The salary cap put a cab-bosh on that.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
This needed to be bumped.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Toews threw him under the bus yesterday. I think Toews wants Babcock behind the bench.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:25 pm 

Well, according to 'Rouge an ZaTWATSki, Babcock will provide no upgrade!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:24 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Toews threw him under the bus yesterday. I think Toews wants Babcock behind the bench.

Yep. I would guess that Keith does too.

If the Hawks had gotten rid of Quenneville at the end of last year, or even not committed to Colliton as more than an interim coach, I wonder whether they would have picked up Dave Tippett, who had been sitting around as Vice-President Of Thinking Vaguely About Hockey for the gestating Seattle team and has gotten the Oilers into first place. I hated his work with Phoenix, where he just had everyone dropping back into six-goalie and didn't have scoring beyond 50-year-old Ray Whitney, but he had a lot of really good years with Dallas. Like Quenneville, another one of those old Hartford guys.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:23 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
Caller Bob wrote:
Well, according to 'Rouge an ZaTWATSki, Babcock will provide no upgrade!

Lol. You do wonder why Zawatski did a hard 180 on Babcock so fast. Probably didn't want to lose a source.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I saw two things on Babcock today:

1. He's getting paid for two more years, and the NHL won't let coaches take minimum deals and make the original team pay the rest. So he is off skiing until Seattle eventually gives him $4M

2. A story that Babcock's assholiness is legendary and that most of his current and former players hate his guts and tell other players about his transgressions.

I don't see McDonough allowing them to spend $4M/year to bring a raging penis behind the bench. Goes against the brand.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:17 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
the NHL won't let coaches take minimum deals and make the original team pay the rest.

Source, please; I don't think there's anything in the CBA or by-laws governing coaching contracts, hence Babs getting so much money in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:19 pm 

This is all you need to know about him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc9oYfQbNy4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Cashman wrote:
This is all you need to know about him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc9oYfQbNy4

Yeah, maybe find another source than Mike Commodore... Dude's got a serious agenda.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Curious Hair wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
the NHL won't let coaches take minimum deals and make the original team pay the rest.

Source, please; I don't think there's anything in the CBA or by-laws governing coaching contracts, hence Babs getting so much money in the first place.

I was browsing through stuff online and didn't save it. If it was in Chrome and not off of FB I will try to find it later.

ETA: actually found a better explanation https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/qui ... don-keefe/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:42 pm 

Quote:
Now, Babcock can’t simply ski and hunt his days away and watch the money pile up. The onus is on him to at least try to find employment.

“You can’t just sit back on the couch and collect,” Glasberg explains. But: “He could say, ‘I spoke to three general managers, and there are no openings, and I’m not going to accept a lesser job, so I’m going to accept a lateral or progressive job, and those jobs don’t come available very often.’ ”

When a head job does open up, a delicate negotiation begins. Say, purely for example, a team like Vancouver or Calgary comes knocking. If they low-ball Kyle Dubas and offer to pay Babcock $2.5 million, Dubas could hang up the phone or get the league involved. Glasberg has seen that happen before.

Glasberg says the next club to hire Babcock must pay “a market-representative salary,” and — even though his reputation has just taken a hit — Babcock’s closest comparables would be Claude Julien and Todd McLellan, each of whom earns about $5 million.

Some owners might insist the interested new employer take on all of the coach’s salary or nothing at all.

“It’s not the right approach, but sometimes emotions get in the way. I’ve had this happen where I’ve literally had to negotiate with both sides,” Glasberg says. “The challenge is, he’s very expensive. He’s at least a $4 million guy or a $4.5 million guy.”

That price tag alone eliminates a swath of teams, especially if they still have an outstanding tab on their current coach. (Not a problem for Seattle, but it doesn’t play games until 2021.)

“Most teams aren’t going to get in the way of a guy getting another job, unless they’re in the same conference,” Glasberg says. “Then it starts to get a little bit uglier.”

First of all, I'm not sure they're right when they say there's any onus on a coach who has been relieved of his duties to find work while under contract. I'm far from a contract lawer, but I don't believe that's the way pay-or-play contracts work. If Toronto does not want him to do the job they hired him to do anymore, then they have to pay him to stay home. It never comes up in real life because these guys are all sociopaths who aren't alive if they're not wearing tracksuits and yelling at people and they all find work before their contracts elapse, but how would Babcock be in breach of his contract if he did just sit on the couch? They can't reassign him to scouting, middle management, or janitor duty without his consent and say he's insubordinating.

Even so, none of this sounds prohibitive to the Hawks. I'm sure they're paying Failed 2003 Draft Pick next to nothing to coach, and the giant contract the Panthers gave Quenneville should offset whatever was left on the books, so if they wanted Babcock, they could swing it. If McDonough did call the Leafs and offer to take half their Babcock money off the books and no one else offered something better, I doubt Shanahan or whichever one of Toronto's twelve vice-presidents is holding the phone that morning would run and cry to Gary Bettman about it. The Leafs were the ones who blew the lid off the head coaching market with that contract and fucked the whole bottom third of the league in the process; what pity do they get?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
I'm pretty sure if Babdick has $10mil coming the next 2 seasons, he can sit at home and collect. If he signs on with another team for $8mil, the Leafs still owe him the difference...He definitely doesn't get paid on top of the $10mil.

I've never heard that a fired coach has to actively shop himself or the team that fired him doesn't have to pay guaranteed money.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:04 pm 

I have never heard that either. You can't afford to take yourself off the carousel like that, anyway. Even Dave Tippett had some phony-baloney consulting job between the Coyotes and Oilers.