PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Colorado? Maybe Calgary, if they can convince him to play north of the border

Post subject: Re: Goodbye Crawford
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:08 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Caller Bob wrote:
Good riddance

What the fuck are you talking about? He’s been a great Hawk.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:13 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Bob's still mad there's no high school football and taking it out everywhere.

This sucks a lot. He was frustrating at times, for sure, but an integral part of a run of great teams. Couldn't have done it without him. Hope he can be of use to someone for one more year and then retire.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:19 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Yep so long Crow thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:08 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
His "concussions" over the last few seasons were peculiar as has been discussed here previously....still....he covered up for some real bad defensive play when he was on the ice.

Crow was awesome.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Favorite Pizza Place
He had a great run. This is happening a season or 2 too late anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
2 cups, thanks for the service. i wouldn't say the hawks couldn't have done it without crawford.

during the last decade of playoff hockey - hawks dominated the first 5 years of the decade and i'd say the overall talent of the hawks top 3 lines and top 2 defensive pairings were mainly responsible. i tried to catch as much TSN (tv and radio) out of canada during those years and the general feeling was that the hawks were stacked and corey would usually be the 2nd best goaltender in most playoff series.

stats don't lie. in 70 less playoff starts, mike smith has one less playoff shutout and a better save % and GAA than corey.

my pet peeve with corey were the penchant for soft goals in playoff games. i felt his best season was his first season after winning the cup with niemi in goal.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:11 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Just signed with the Devils: 2 years at 3.9M per.

https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2020/10/09/de ... -7-8m/amp/

Good for him.

:lol: for the Devil.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:38 am 

"Fuckin' right Newark and other outlying cities" doesn't have the same ring to it.

I think he can give them one strong year if they keep him around 50 games. That was always the catch with Crawford: as good as he was, he could never handle the true 60+ workload of an elite #1 goalie. He always needed a strong backup to thrive -- whether that was Emery, Raanta, or Darling, someone always had to swoop in and pick up the slack. I think in the second year he'll be stealing money.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:12 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Reading Probert's biography gives one a glimpse into why these guys struggle with addiction, they leave home to play junior, while away they start drinking frequently with the other players who are all in the same situation. Their entire lives are based on hockey, so they do whatever it takes to be ready to play, there is not backup plan because they have spent the formative years of their lives away from school and other social structures. There are some that can handle this, but many of the NHL guys develop serious addiction issues because they do not know any other way of life other than to be one of the boys in the locker room.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
On an indefinite leave of absence from Devils. So he’s either maladjusting to the scenery change, rethinking his long term health with the concussions or the always popular rehab rumors. Players quoted about it would lean towards the first two with remarks about him having to want to come play or something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:09 pm 

Clawmaster wrote:
Reading Probert's biography gives one a glimpse into why these guys struggle with addiction, they leave home to play junior, while away they start drinking frequently with the other players who are all in the same situation. Their entire lives are based on hockey, so they do whatever it takes to be ready to play, there is not backup plan because they have spent the formative years of their lives away from school and other social structures. There are some that can handle this, but many of the NHL guys develop serious addiction issues because they do not know any other way of life other than to be one of the boys in the locker room.

What's the solution? I'm not asking rhetorically, we really need one. It's not the NCAA. People like Sam Fels go on about how basketball players are public intellectuals because they "went to college" while hockey players all "dropped out of school in 8th grade," but, like, it wasn't until Derrick Rose got to the Bulls that he learned that gummi worms did not constitute a food group. At the same time, NBA players don't seem to be such pitiful addicts as NHLers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:16 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

What's the solution? I'm not asking rhetorically, we really need one. It's not the NCAA. People like Sam Fels go on about how basketball players are public intellectuals because they "went to college" while hockey players all "dropped out of school in 8th grade," but, like, it wasn't until Derrick Rose got to the Bulls that he learned that gummi worms did not constitute a food group. At the same time, NBA players don't seem to be such pitiful addicts as NHLers.

Oh I would bet there are just as many addicts in the NBA. I would also guess that the NBA players also don't have any skills or social structures outside of basketball. The elite are essentially on the pro path by middle school.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:40 pm 

I'm not so sure about that one, I feel like alcoholism is really an area of white excellence.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:59 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I'm not so sure about that one, I feel like alcoholism is really an area of white excellence.

Vin Baker would like a word with you. And while the drugs might be different I would guess that drug use is similar across professional sports leagues.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:04 pm 

I'm not saying it can't affect all races, just that northern/western Europeans seem to have made outstanding achievements in the field of alcoholism. Isn't there an imaginary line that runs across Europe delineating where all the drunks come from?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Any east Asian (japs/chiners/flips/kims) I've hung out with could drink any round-eye gweilo under the table and still score top quartile on their quant sat if you gave it to em right then

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:25 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Curious Hair wrote:
Isn't there an imaginary line that runs across Europe delineating where all the drunks come from?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:48 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Hussra wrote:
Any east Asian (japs/chiners/flips/kims) I've hung out with could drink any round-eye gweilo under the table and still score top quartile on their quant sat if you gave it to em right then

except for red wine...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:20 pm 

Hussra wrote:

My sophomore year roommate was a bit different than that. No tolerance and one sip would turn him bright red. The Norwegians I knew on the other hand.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Hussra wrote:

My sophomore year roommate was a bit different than that. No tolerance and one sip would turn him bright red. The Norwegians I knew on the other hand.

A guy from graduate school was Filipino. He told the story of being 13 and wanting a beer because his father and uncle would spend the evening downing a 24 pack at the kitchen table. The classic "I'm old enough" story. So of course dad teaches the kid a lesson and makes him drink an entire six pack. Which of course led to vomit and massive headaches.

But man, this guy could put away half a fifth of bourbon and still function. We spent a lot of Thursday nights in the city while his wife was away working in a different city, and I'm not sure how he ever managed to make his flight the next day to go see her.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:36 pm 

And retired. Probably the right move with his recent injury history.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:42 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
After taking a personal leave after missing two days of practice?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Clawmaster wrote:

Bob was one of the kindest and most gentle human beings I ever had the pleasure of working with.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Seacrest wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Bob was one of the kindest and most gentle human beings I ever had the pleasure of working with.

More than one person has said that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:58 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Clawmaster wrote:

dont forget a lot of those kids get molested or raped when they leave home. usually by the caretaker or staff. and of course they excuse it as a 'hazing ritual' and have to act all cool after it like 'hey bro, i got laid, it was awesome'.

i really wonder if those kids really wanted to get forced into sex with some woman who could be their mother or older. contributes to getting really fucked up in the head like you described.