It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: State Line
Minooka Meatball wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I heard the radio call of most of the first period as Hawks @ Ducks before I fell asleep, along with the last three minutes when I woke up for a second. I thought that Ross did reasonably well for an under-25 year old PBP guy, and Nick O was ok but talked over the call a bit (good TV vs Radio calls have different requirements).

If John W. and hopefully Troy get the TV assignment next year, I could live with these two on the radio call.

I haven’t paid much attention to the Hawks or the broadcasting tryout fiasco this season, but I would not be surprised if Weideman is gone after next season - if not before. The team already stated that he is not getting the gig, and Weideman is apparently doing some national stuff that he will have to be subbed for.

I didn’t realize Weideman was already 60+, so it appears the Hawks want to go younger and most likely, cheaper.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me either. Wiedeman's been around since back when Foley was first forced out when they split the radio and TV broadcasts in 2006 and was doing the Islanders radio for a few years before that.

also, and I might just be reading too much into the tangents Wiedeman tends to go on when the military tributes occur at games, his politics seem to run to the right and that probably rubs Danny Wirtz's woke millennial ass the wrong way.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:06 am 

Clawmaster wrote:
Caught a bit of the thing they did on Foley the other night, brought back a ton of great memories, a little too much Edzo driven for me, but guess he was the most logical guy for the job.

Did come to a few realizations while watching. The fact that Pat was the only way you could follow home games for years was and still is amazing, a sports franchise not showing home games was and will always be one of the strangest decisions of all time. He also did several years solo, he said he would tell them to crank up the crowd sound levels in an attempt to give some type of representation to how loud the old Chicago Stadium would get at times, also remember plenty of Sunday night home games where it seemed, at least on an AM clock radio, that they had an ice level mic behind one of the nets because you would hear the sound of skates and pings off the goal post at times.

Still think Pat and Dale were the best pairing because Dale brought a much more Canadian type analysis than Edzo's NHL on NBC "everyone is a superstar" type half ass analysis.

In his prime Foley was great at giving you a feel for the moment by recognizing when to change tone and cadence to match the importance of moments or plays in the game, this was especially true in the playoffs. You could tell exactly how the game was going by how he called the game.

The team is becoming almost as irrelevant as it was when he first started.

I watched the Foley interview show too. Nice, but...Edzo claiming he remembered listening to Foley and Tallon together....the only problem with that is, Foley and Tallon's first year together was 1984-85, same as Olczyk's rookie year with the Hawks. Foley did radio, occasionally with Dennis Hull on color, for the four years before that while Tallon did TV with Ken Wilson (later voice of the Blues) after Sportsvision signed on in 1982, then Dollar Bill realized Sportsvision was tanking and could save money by firing Wilson and combining the TV and radio broadcasts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Rico's Lansing, IL
Really looking forward to the Tallon broadcast next Sunday!!!

My daughter made it into the Toews' "Thanks for coming out to the game" video from last night. Took a bus from Bloomington, Indiana just to see her boy and grab some swag (puck, poster and shirt.)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Hoping for another wee knee comment

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:29 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Watching because of all the hype. But so far :aaargh:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:49 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Clawmaster wrote:
a sports franchise not showing home games was and will always be one of the strangest decisions of all time.

It was actually fairly prevalent across the NHL. Canadian teams rarely aired their home games. The Jets and Nordiques hardly aired telecasts at all. The Bruins, Red Wings, and North Stars showed road games over the air but aired home games on premium-tier cable, if they did at all. The Senators were airing closed-circuit broadcasts in movie theaters rather than on TV as late as 2008. The idea of treating a hockey team as six months' worth of consistent television inventory didn't really take off until the mid-1980s with SportsChannel and the Islanders, and it took a long time for teams to catch up. Canada didn't even have RSNs until 1998.

The Blackhawks maintained this policy, which was dumb to begin with, long after the rest of the league figured out that it made sense to be on TV.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Amato's
Curious Hair wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
a sports franchise not showing home games was and will always be one of the strangest decisions of all time.

It was actually fairly prevalent across the NHL. Canadian teams rarely aired their home games. The Jets and Nordiques hardly aired telecasts at all. The Bruins, Red Wings, and North Stars showed road games over the air but aired home games on premium-tier cable, if they did at all. The Senators were airing closed-circuit broadcasts in movie theaters rather than on TV as late as 2008. The idea of treating a hockey team as six months' worth of consistent television inventory didn't really take off until the mid-1980s with SportsChannel and the Islanders, and it took a long time for teams to catch up. Canada didn't even have RSNs until 1998.

The Blackhawks maintained this policy, which was dumb to begin with, long after the rest of the league figured out that it made sense to be on TV.

I remember in 1980 when we first got cable. It came with the Madison Square Garden and WOR channels out of NY. Got to see all the Ranger (Esposito, Dugay, Mark Pavelich teams) and whatever Islander games they showed on both channels as well as the big WWF shows at the Garden. Was weird I could watch all the Ranger games and yet only road Hawk games.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I vaguely remember going with my father to a Hawks' playoff game at a movie theater in Berwyn in the 70s, maybe 1973 or 1974. Even then I thought that was strange.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:33 pm 

Peter Puck wrote:
I remember in 1980 when we first got cable. It came with the Madison Square Garden and WOR channels out of NY. Got to see all the Ranger (Esposito, Dugay, Mark Pavelich teams) and whatever Islander games they showed on both channels as well as the big WWF shows at the Garden. Was weird I could watch all the Ranger games and yet only road Hawk games.

Marv was doing some of the Rangers games back then, right?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Amato's
Curious Hair wrote:
Peter Puck wrote:

Marv was doing some of the Rangers games back then, right?

Marv was doing radio I believe. It was Jim Gordon when we first started getting those channels and then Sam Rosen (pre his ESPN days I guess). Remember Jiggs McDonald doing the Islander games.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:01 pm 

I wonder how many more years Sam Rosen has left in him. Jiggs used to pop back up well into the 2010s to fill in for Howie Rose.

We're really running out of classic hockey voices. The Danny Parkinsization of the NHL blows.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:22 pm 

a genius wrote:
Watching because of all the hype. But so far :aaargh:

Tallon sounded like he didn't know what to say during the first period but got more comfortable as the game went on. I wish they had told more stories from the past instead of focusing on the meaningless game involving the current shitty ass team, and the old clips with the Halloween masks and the forklift breaking down the locker room door in St. Louis had already been shown in the weeks leading up to this. But it was nice to hear them together again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:35 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

The Hawks actually showed home games in Sportsvision's first few seasons, there's evidence on Youtube. But it was an expensive premium channel that nobody had and the city itself wasn't even wired for cable yet. Eventually it was made a basic cable channel ca. 1985-6 and $Bill stopped showing the home games.

Oh and don't forget Hawkvision, which bombed after '92 because they didn't get out of the first round the next two years. So there were games in the '95 and '96 playoffs that weren't televised in Chicago at all.

I also remember that when ESPN's broadcasts of Hawks home games would override the local blackout once or twice a year in the 90s, the Hawks would air the game on Sportschannel as well, probably trying to sabotage ESPN's ratings out of pique.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:27 pm 

Well into the 2010s, there were games where neither team produced a telecast. Think Predators-Hurricanes, Coyotes-Panthers, games like that. You could watch the games on NHL Gamecenter, but it would just be the arena feed with the radio play-by-play if someone bothered to sync it. It felt very AHLy. Now it seems absurd to do anything less than broadcast a full schedule.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
i remember back in 83-84...you'd mess with the antenna and this and that, and you'd get 4 seconds of clear hockey and then back to fuzz. you'd catch esposito and bannerman fishing and swatting pucks out of the net after the edmonton players scored on them.

a few years later, hawks were a goon team. no playoffs...until, keenan and alain chevier and the run to the conference finals against calgary. by then, most bars had dishes and would get the opponent's feed or the canadian feed. you could watch hawks playoff games, but, not at the comfort of your home. good times, lots and lots of hockey/hawk fans packing bars on spring playoff nights.

2 seasons later, i paid for hawkvision and playoff hockey.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:23 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
i remember back in 83-84...you'd mess with the antenna and this and that, and you'd get 4 seconds of clear hockey and then back to fuzz. you'd catch esposito and bannerman fishing and swatting pucks out of the net after the edmonton players scored on them.

a few years later, hawks were a goon team. no playoffs...until, keenan and alain chevier and the run to the conference finals against calgary. by then, most bars had dishes and would get the opponent's feed or the canadian feed. you could watch hawks playoff games, but, not at the comfort of your home. good times, lots and lots of hockey/hawk fans packing bars on spring playoff nights.

2 seasons later, i paid for hawkvision and playoff hockey.

I remember the having to go to the bar for opponent feed or bootlegged SV to see my heroes. Secord, Savard, Larmar.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:11 am 

yes, good times. it wasn't as if you wanted to watch a live spartak moscow football match in 1979. easier to to go and hang with friends when you in your early 20s. remember how all the bars/clubs were packed? everyone made plans surrounding each game. spring nights and blackhawk hockey....good times for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
wasnt there a specific bar that pirated the in-stadium tv feed somehow from the concourse tvs and played the games inside the bar and Bill Wirtz was threatening to take them to court or something? might be mis-remembering that

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:54 am 

i believe that was after hawkvision, 1992....some bars did not pay, other bars purchased it, but claimed it was for residential use. don't remember how much more it would have been for commercial use. prior to that, if a bar or club had a satellite, nothing dollar bill could do. some bars played the opposing feed, others, turned the sound off and we'd get foley-tallon.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:55 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
ahhh. got it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:44 pm 

There were stories about Wirtz sending goons to bars to pull plugs but I'm not sure how true they were. at any rate, I grew up too far south for him to bother so I got to see some games on the big ugly dish on Sunday afternoons, the bar my dad frequented would let kids in before I think 7 or 8 PM? Then as the 90s went on more feeds got encrypted, the small dishes replaced the big ones and the Hawks weren't worth watching at any rate.

on the Hawks message board I frequented during the dark ages, one guy was actually somehow using a grey-market Canadian dish to get around the blackout. I think it might have been an expatriate Canadian living in Chicago who gave the company his old address in Ontario. Lot of effort to watch Kyle Calder and Mark Bell.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: John's

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:10 am 

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
ahhh. got it.

i'm not an expert on the case between dollar bill vs. sam malone....but i believe the clear issue was that many bars were paying the residential rate (around $30 a month) for hawkvision and not the commercial rate. a bar may generate thousands of dollars a night during the playoffs, but they were paying peanuts for the games. you know that pissed off the wirtz corporation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:37 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Caller Bob wrote:

That's really gotta grind your gears- huh?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:13 pm 

22 seconds in. ugh

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
The effort and or skill on defense is beyond atrocious. Caleb, Gus and Stillman can all fuck off in to AHL obscurity next season. Seth can feed the puck but he is kind of a pussy in the defensive end. He got knocked on his ass tonight and just stood up and skated away. Hold your fucking ground man. McCabe hasn't done shit either. What a horrific unit.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:59 pm 

Do not drink every time they tell you the Joneses are brothers. You'll be hammered.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:07 pm 

Exile on Route 41 wrote:
Tonight (while celebrating 1000 games of Toews by losing at home to the fucking Coyotes, at least as of the 2nd period) they announced two things regarding the broadcasts:

1) new TV voice of the Hawks is Chris Vosters. He looks about 19 years old and I can't remember a single significant thing about him amid the 700 hacks they've had doing games this year, but at least it's not the guy who sounds like a cross between Professor Frink and HHH.

2) one last Foley and Tallon broadcast together next Sunday.

I don't like Vosters.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:33 pm 

Yeah, he's underwhelming, but so is everyone these days. They're all just made in a vat.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:28 pm 

Quote:
Blackhawks are expected to send franchise icon Patrick Kane to the New York Rangers, and a trade call with the league is planned for Tuesday night, according to Frank Seravalli of Daily Faceoff.

In return, the Blackhawks will receive a conditional second-round pick in 2023 and a fourth-round pick. The second-round pick could turn into a first-rounder in 2024 or 2025 if the Rangers make the Eastern Conference Final this season.

The Blackhawks will retain 50 percent of Kane's salary to make the deal work, and the Arizona Coyotes are involved as the third-party broker to eat another 25 percent, per ESPN's Emily Kaplan.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 366 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next