It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
https://www.tsn.ca/alleged-assaults-of-chicago-blackhawks-players-an-open-secret-source-1.1659115

I can't figure out why they kept Aldrich around or why they'd give any sort of recommendation to a high school.

I also don't understand why it would be the Blackhawks responsibility to report it to the police, wouldn't the victim have to do that?

Police would've probably laughed louder than the locker room when they saw Beach next to Aldrich.

You're killing me with this line of reasoning to be honest. It's a bit much. But let's say things unfolded how you think they should have. Beach beats this guy up... and Ends up with a criminal battery charge. Is that what should have happened?

I can't put myself in Beach's skates. But I can be sympathetic to Beach while still not thinking a bunch of eighth grade graduates, many of whom were only a few years older than Beach himself, and all of whom were part of a "world of men" subculture for most of their lives are monsters for making some gay jokes.

Aldrich had some pretty strong cache with Quennville. He could have easily destroyed Beach's career. And threatened to do exactly that.

And I think you are missing the broader point.

It was well known apparently, but somehow Toews didn't hear about it until the 2011 season? It's obvious now he was lying. As were others apparently.

Puts the gay jokes in a different light.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:17 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
On M&H this morning, they played a clip from the TSN interview where Beach said something to the effect of ‘everybody knew - players, coaches, staff, media…’

M&H used that clip in the context of a discussion about what the players should’ve done. I thought it was odd that the media around the team seemed to be be aware (according to Beach) but never said a word.

It is easy to look back now and make judgments on what should have been done.

But lets be real. Anyone that has worked in any type of place with lots of people know that you hear all types of things about people. Some of it is true, some of it is false but for the most part people stay out of it and leave each to their own, especially when it is involving 2 adults. And 11 years ago that was even more true than it is today.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:19 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I can't put myself in Beach's skates. But I can be sympathetic to Beach while still not thinking a bunch of eighth grade graduates, many of whom were only a few years older than Beach himself, and all of whom were part of a "world of men" subculture for most of their lives are monsters for making some gay jokes.

I think it's interesting that Kyle Beach, by virtue of getting non-consensual gay oral sex, is the first hockey player that the prestige-tier sportswriters have treated as a decent human being. He certainly wouldn't have come about it any other way. Hockey players are never afforded any sort of nuance, certainly not on par with the tortured intellectuals who make up the NBA. Sam Fels's entire career, such as it is, has been about reveling in how hockey players are a bunch of drug-addicted sexual degenerates who dropped out of middle school and how superior everyone else is to their dumb evil white asses. Kyle Beach, a guy who hit puberty fast, lived in the junior leagues too long, and probably has a comfortably sub-100 IQ, would be precisely the kind of empty-headed, toxically masculine dudebro that the league needs to get rid of to be more like the NBA. He may never have made the NHL, but maybe he'll get to write for Defector.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
https://www.tsn.ca/alleged-assaults-of-chicago-blackhawks-players-an-open-secret-source-1.1659115

I can't figure out why they kept Aldrich around or why they'd give any sort of recommendation to a high school.

I also don't understand why it would be the Blackhawks responsibility to report it to the police, wouldn't the victim have to do that?

Police would've probably laughed louder than the locker room when they saw Beach next to Aldrich.

You're killing me with this line of reasoning to be honest. It's a bit much. But let's say things unfolded how you think they should have. Beach beats this guy up... and Ends up with a criminal battery charge. Is that what should have happened?

Aldrich had some pretty strong cache with Quennville. He could have easily destroyed Beach's career. And threatened to do exactly that.

It was well known apparently, but somehow Toews didn't hear about it until the 2011 season? It's obvious now he was lying. As were others apparently.

I doubt the front office would have looked kindly on Quenneville trashing a first round pick. In fact, I think the way he failed to develop players was part of the reason he ended up on the outs. Maybe one of the hockey guys can confirm.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
RFDC wrote:
On M&H this morning, they played a clip from the TSN interview where Beach said something to the effect of ‘everybody knew - players, coaches, staff, media…’

M&H used that clip in the context of a discussion about what the players should’ve done. I thought it was odd that the media around the team seemed to be be aware (according to Beach) but never said a word.

But lets be real. Anyone that has worked in any type of place with lots of people know that you hear all types of things about people. Some of it is true, some of it is false but for the most part people stay out of it and leave each to their own, especially when it is involving 2 adults. And 11 years ago that was even more true than it is today.

I’d buy that if it was known but thought to be consensual. Maybe that’s the case? Idk, I haven’t really followed this all that closely. That’d explain the gay jokes from the players.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:32 pm 

RFDC wrote:

I’d buy that if it was known but thought to be consensual. Maybe that’s the case? Idk, I haven’t really followed this all that closely. That’d explain the gay jokes from the players.

I would just about guarantee that there was talk of it being consensual. I don't see how there would not have been.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Darkside wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

If he is physically prevented from leaving, then yes, knock the burrito's teeth out. It's what I would honestly expect from someone who has such a clear physical advantage over the predator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:39 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:

Yeah...I kinda figured he meant the broadcast teams.

They wouldn't though. This happened late during the playoffs and local broadcast stops covering after the 1st round as it goes national TV only then

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:42 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I doubt the front office would have looked kindly on Quenneville trashing a first round pick. In fact, I think the way he failed to develop players was part of the reason he ended up on the outs. Maybe one of the hockey guys can confirm.

Hey, I get to roll out the Joel Quenneville defense again. Party like it's 2014.

During Quenneville's tenure with the Blackhawks, I think there was precisely one coach in the league who could be trusted to do the general manager's bidding with regard to playing players while contending for championships, and that was Darryl Sutter, who may not have been quite right in the head ever since the time he fell off his roof. No one else was willing to take that risk. Any other coach playing for the Cup leaned hard on his veterans to a fault. Bylsma did it, Julien did it, Tortorella, Babcock, Hitchcock, Cooper, Boudreau -- the universal lament of online hockey fans has always been that the coach doesn't play "the kids" enough. Quenneville didn't play the kids enough for some people. I think, all things considered, he did better than he got credit for. He played Saad, Shaw, Kruger, and others once they earned his trust.

No, management wouldn't have looked fondly on Q trashing a first-round pick, but also, by the time spring 2010 rolled around, I think they knew they guessed wrong on the guy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:42 pm 

RFDC wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I would just about guarantee that there was talk of it being consensual. I don't see how there would not have been.

As far as the players knew, there were 2 stories, the one Aldrich told and the one Beach told. Players would probably think Beach got caught so of course he would deny it was consensual and would call him a burrito.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:43 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Spaulding wrote:

I think Q's inability to develop draft picks in Chicago had more to do with the draft picks Stan provided him (although Beach was a Tallon pick). Q has done a wonderful job developing a young team in Sunrise.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The event happened back in 2010, a year during which Bernstein would've used "gay" drops to describe Aldrich and Beach.

And had a producer nicknamed "Count Fagula"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:48 pm 

DIDN'T DESERVE SEXUAL ASSAULT: Kyle Beach
DID DESERVE SEXUAL ASSAULT: women who attended a victory parade

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:51 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

I forgot about that. Good memory :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking of which, I wonder how Ice Girl is doing. Is she with hubby, Matt, or a 3rd man?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
FrankDrebin wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The event happened back in 2010, a year during which Bernstein would've used "gay" drops to describe Aldrich and Beach.

People can change. Or I should say some can.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:58 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
RFDC wrote:
RFDC wrote:

As far as the players knew, there were 2 stories, the one Aldrich told and the one Beach told. Players would probably think Beach got caught so of course he would deny it was consensual and would call him a burrito.

Former Blackhawks video coach Bradley Aldrich’s alleged sexual assault of two Hawks players in May 2010 was known about by the entire team during the 2010 playoffs, according to a report Friday by The Athletic.

‘‘Every single guy on the team knew,’’ an unidentified player from the 2010 Stanley Cup-winning team told The Athletic.

Nick Boynton, a defenseman on the 2010 team, told The Athletic he was aware of the incident and trusted then-skills coach Paul Vincent to alert upper management and take the necessary steps to remedy the situation.

Vincent told TSN this month that he informed then-president John McDonough, general manager Stan Bowman, executive Al MacIsaac and skills coach James Gary about Aldrich’s alleged assault at a meeting in 2010, but that the group of Hawks executives rejected his request to report the incident to the police.

Brent Sopel, another defenseman on the 2010 team, tweeted Friday that The Athletic’s report was ‘‘accurate.’’

‘‘The front office staff should be in jail,’’ Sopel said in a separate tweet. ‘‘The NHL is showing [their] true colours. . . . This is absolutely disgusting that the NHL is doing nothing.’’

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.

I have to listen to that again. The context I got out of that was there were homophobic comments made in full view of coaches and media, not that the coaches and media knew about the assault.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:07 pm 

Darkside wrote:

I have to listen to that again. The context I got out of that was there were homophobic comments made in full view of coaches and media, not that the coaches and media knew about the assault.

You’re correct, but I thought the context was that it was an open secret (i.e., everybody around the organization understood why Beach was being called a burrito).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:09 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

or they quickly change and then quickly change back.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:10 pm 

Darkside wrote:

You’re correct, but I thought the context was that it was an open secret (i.e., everybody around the organization understood why Beach was being called a burrito).

That's damning if true.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Name a male dominated industry where that wouldn’t have happened .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:12 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

The comparison is the behavior at the same time though, right? Not that one person changed over the past decade and the other didn’t - that both had the same starting point around the time of the events?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:15 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:16 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

The comparison is the behavior at the same time though, right? Not that one person changed over the past decade and the other didn’t - that both had the same starting point around the time of the events?

Absolutely...I was in my prime during that era and remember it well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Hey, I get to roll out the Joel Quenneville defense again. Party like it's 2014.

During Quenneville's tenure with the Blackhawks, I think there was precisely one coach in the league who could be trusted to do the general manager's bidding with regard to playing players while contending for championships, and that was Darryl Sutter, who may not have been quite right in the head ever since the time he fell off his roof. No one else was willing to take that risk. Any other coach playing for the Cup leaned hard on his veterans to a fault. Bylsma did it, Julien did it, Tortorella, Babcock, Hitchcock, Cooper, Boudreau -- the universal lament of online hockey fans has always been that the coach doesn't play "the kids" enough. Quenneville didn't play the kids enough for some people. I think, all things considered, he did better than he got credit for. He played Saad, Shaw, Kruger, and others once they earned his trust.

No, management wouldn't have looked fondly on Q trashing a first-round pick, but also, by the time spring 2010 rolled around, I think they knew they guessed wrong on the guy.

Yeah.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:19 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Darkside wrote:

That's damning if true.

I guess it goes back to whether it was widely understood as non-consensual (vs. something Beach regretted doing).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:20 pm 

Regretted?
Who regrets getting a blow job?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:22 pm 

Someone pulled up Fels old tweets about Beach and compared them to the pearl clutching he was doing yesterday about poor Kyle Beach . #evolved

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:32 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
the pearl clutching he was doing yesterday about poor Kyle Beach . #evolved

If you are in "the media", or just random guy on twitter, it's very easy to bash everyone on the blackhawks right now for how this was handled. There is no downside to all the people saying they are burning Toews jersey's, "will never root for the team again", etc.

There's aren't that many actual "die hard" blackhawks fans to begin with, and the team currently on the ice is awful, so nobody wants to watch them anyway. I'd be curious to see how many of the "never wearing the jersey again" people would be saying that if the 2021 team was a Stanley Cup favorite.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:20 pm 

Bernstein really wants this to be Penn States. It's not Penn State, no matter how much he wants it to be. Penn State was an adult predator preying on kids who had no means of defending themselves and were from underprivileged homes where no family could back them. This was a case of a 5'5 queer and a 6'3 pro athlete with the full ability to kick his ass.

Again, the real failure by the Hawks was the fact they let him get a job somewhere else where he could victimize kids ala Sandusky. The queer should've been blackballed from hockey and getting any job. Although, I guess the "hockey is for everyone" crowd would probably take issue with that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 420 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next