It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
The Hawks negligence in handling the Kyle Beach abuse allegations and the NHL's even weaker response has exposed hockey's seedy culture of ignoring abuse by coaches, a culture that starts in youth hockey and continues all the way to the NHL.

The league had an opportunity to make a strong statement by slapping huge penalties on the Hawks, but instead fined them less than they have fined other teams for draft violations. The ongoing investigation has not even reached the point where the team provided a recommendation for a know sexual predator allowing the predator to gain employment where he would have access to an even more vulnerable group of victims.

Seeing now that sponsors are pressuring Bettman to do something, anything to address this issue. Attendance is plummeting, not just at Hawks games, but leaguewide.

The Hawks organization is sinking toward irrelevance and they have not hit rock bottom yet. Find it highly unlikely that ownership did not know anything about the issue, if it gets out that they lied, like Q, and a bunch of the other front office types did, we are looking at a NBA like forced ownership change.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:35 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
could be...i believe that hockey has other hurdles that always pushes hockey as 4th on the sport list on the 10 pm news - more so in today's era.

i believe a canadian-style drinking culture is way more prevalent and not helpful, but it appears the media is making a correlation between lower hawks' attendance and the video coach scandal. the club is crap and i believe that is the reason, but the media will be relentless in pushing their narrative.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
All this because some dude couldn't admit he liked getting sucked off by another dude. The Hawks are yet another victim of toxic masculinity.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

i believe a canadian-style drinking culture is way more prevalent and not helpful, but it appears the media is making a correlation between lower hawks' attendance and the video coach scandal. the club is crap and i believe that is the reason, but the media will be relentless in pushing their narrative.

Which media specifically is pushing this "narrative?'" What I hear is that it is a combination of their terrible start, Covid concerns, and the abuse scandal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:03 am 

Quote:
Blackhawks’ attendance plummeting as fans grapple with sexual-assault scandal
Large swaths of the United Center sat vacant as the Hawks drew officially only 15,946 and 16,449 fans to their home games this week.

By Ben Pope@BenPopeCST Nov 6, 2021, 6:30am CDT

how's that for a direct correlation?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
I'd guess the lower attendance is due to them playing badly more than the abuse scandal.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
Quote:
Large swaths of the United Center sat vacant as the Hawks drew officially only 15,946 and 16,449 fans to their home games this week.

how's that for a direct correlation?

Do you mean an example?

Did you read the article? In addition to the sex scandal, Pope cited the losing, Covid concerns, and how the sell-out streak ended before the sex abuse report was released. Pope isn't relentlessly pushing some narrative.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:32 am 

ok...you asked which media is correlating dwindling hawks attendance and the video coach scandal.

i posted the headline that explicitly makes a direct correlation.
Quote:

the sun-times, print media.

dan bernstein on the radio...well. that's 2 examples. print and radio.

obviously, you don't believe the media is making that correlation. it's ok, just say that.

i'm not sure what other proof i can offer to buttress my position.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:33 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Bernstein was out to get the Hawks before the scandal even happened. Doesn't count.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:35 am 

Whoever led the push for hockey at ESPN has to be concerned about job security.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:40 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Regular Reader wrote:

The rank and file at ESPN have always wanted hockey back. It was one executive who wanted to replace the NHL with movies and reality shows, but he's gone now, as is the guy who wanted to do Deadspin TV with Katie Nolan and Bomani Jones.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:44 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

The rank and file at ESPN have always wanted hockey back. It was one executive who wanted to replace the NHL with movies and reality shows, but he's gone now, as is the guy who wanted to do Deadspin TV with Katie Nolan and Bomani Jones.

Linda Cohn is probably the only person there who wanted it back. No show there commits any time to the sport. The last discussion was when they inked the deal and crickets ever since.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:45 am 

here's another from the usa today.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/blackhawks/2021/11/04/blackhawks-scandal-kyle-beach-whats-next/6258964001/

Quote:
Blackhawks 'have a lot of work to do' to repair image in wake of sexual assault scandal

Kenny Copeland was the type of Chicago Blackhawks fan who set Google alerts for team news, and who scrolled to the bottom of each article about every offseason trade rumor.

Now? He has no interest in watching them play.

"I haven’t really been wanting to since the allegations had come out," the 31-year-old father from Spring Grove, Illinois, told USA TODAY Sports.

Copeland attended the championship parade in 2010 and in 2013. (He did not make it to the 2015 party.)

"Just thinking back to that is kind of tarnished," he said.

Copeland may not be the only fan who has lost interest in the team. Prior to the investigative report's release, the Blackhawks' sellout streak that began in 2008 ended at 535 games. They won their first game of the season Monday, 5-1 against the Ottawa Senators, to move to 1-7-2 on the season, the second-worst record in the league. The announced attendance was 15,946.

if that isn't a direct correlation between dwindling hawks attendance and the scandal, i don't what is.

the usa today is a member of the national print media?

so, local and national media are making direct correlations.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Attendance is down because the team sucks and Covid restrictions are a burden to attend to watch Seth Jones get burned in his own zone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/blackhawks/2021/11/04/blackhawks-scandal-kyle-beach-whats-next/6258964001/

Quote:
Blackhawks 'have a lot of work to do' to repair image in wake of sexual assault scandal

Kenny Copeland was the type of Chicago Blackhawks fan who set Google alerts for team news, and who scrolled to the bottom of each article about every offseason trade rumor.

"I haven’t really been wanting to since the allegations had come out," the 31-year-old father from Spring Grove, Illinois, told USA TODAY Sports.

Copeland attended the championship parade in 2010 and in 2013. (He did not make it to the 2015 party.)

Copeland may not be the only fan who has lost interest in the team. Prior to the investigative report's release, the Blackhawks' sellout streak that began in 2008 ended at 535 games. They won their first game of the season Monday, 5-1 against the Ottawa Senators, to move to 1-7-2 on the season, the second-worst record in the league. The announced attendance was 15,946.

if that isn't a direct correlation between dwindling hawks attendance and the scandal, i don't what is.

If the Blackhawks were 7-1-2, the place would be sold out and that guy would still be paying attention.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Attendance is down because the team sucks and Covid restrictions are a burden to attend to watch Seth Jones get burned in his own zone

Plus the high ticket prices make it harder to watch a team that blows.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
The team sucks. Hockey is my second favorite sport, but bad hockey is impossible to watch. I sampled plenty this year, and I would rather have diarrhea.

Plus there was a relatively fun MLB playoffs, nearly always must watch NFL games, and an enjoyable Bulls team to watch instead.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:17 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

Quote:

If the Blackhawks were 7-1-2, the place would be sold out and that guy would still be paying attention.

agreed.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Beach has nothing to do with the attendance.

1. They are absolutely terrible
2. Mandates
3. Real life GTA getting to and from the game

Its about 95 percent 1

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Baraccos
They stink and will for awhile. Should have dealt Kane and/or Toews when they had value.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
They can't even do a proper rebuild thanks to lispy's parting gifts. Traded away lottery picks for Seth Jones and then cap fucked them by signing him to that insane deal.

That figurative cocksucker did more damage to the organization than the literal cocksucker.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
They can't even do a proper rebuild thanks to lispy's parting gifts. Traded away lottery picks for Seth Jones and then cap fucked them by signing him to that insane deal.

That figurative cocksucker did more damage to the organization than the literal cocksucker.

Those moves had to be deliberate so that nobody else would want the job. They made no sense at the time, and make less sense now.

Hopefully they can keep Fleury healthy and unload him before the deadline to a team in contention, and let Lankinen go back to being the #1 goalie.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:02 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

The pick they got from the Hawks in June will likely win ROY

oh and they will get another top ten in 2022.