It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 4/14 Pat Foley
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:08 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I don't remember 9, but it's possible that one was as late as 8:30 (figure a game takes ~2:30 and the East Coast game starts at 6 our time). I can check the box scores if you really want.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Curious Hair wrote:
I don't remember 9, but it's possible that one was as late as 8:30 (figure a game takes ~2:30 and the East Coast game starts at 6 our time). I can check the box scores if you really want.

Really don't care. Anything after 7:30 is ridiculous for a matchup in the central or eastern time zones.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
On quick check, because I'm bored, game three was an 8:30 start in 2017 vs Preds as was game 4 vs blues in 2016 at the the UC. I don't think puck drop was on time for that Blues game. I think that was the game that shaw called someone a "burrito" or some other non pc thing and Crawford attacked someone in the corner for something. Maybe I'm not remembering right. All I really remember was them them loosing, watching the game with my brother at the game and getting home really late.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:19 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
On quick check, because I'm bored, game three was an 8:30 start in 2017 vs Preds as was game 4 vs blues in 2016 at the the UC. I don't think puck drop was on time for that Blues game. I think that was the game that shaw called someone a "burrito" or some other non pc thing and Crawford attacked someone in the corner for something. Maybe I'm not remembering right. All I really remember was them them loosing, watching the game with my brother at the game and getting home really late.

Those late starts used to piss me off. So you anger 2 fanbases which makeup the majority of the viewers just so some West Coast viewers can watch the game as it doesn't conflict with the early starts? I never even tried to watch those games at night. I would DVR the game and wake up at 4 AM to watch them before work. I remember one of the OT Nashville games that I had to FF to get to the end but it sure as hell was better than staying up way past midnight watching the game live.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:13 am 

I think the idea was that they didn't want to cannibalize their audiences in Eastern and Central Time. They didn't want people watching the Hawks instead of the Penguins, for example, when they could watch one and then the other. But that just doesn't work. No one really thinks that way. I'll watch the Bruins for like an hour to get in the mood and then switch over to my own team.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
If you really are trying to appeal to the younger audience it's stupid. I might let my 8-12 yo stay up til 10 or 11. I'm going to say no til staying up til 12 am or 1. Some of those games went long too. I wasn't a fan of late starts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
a genius wrote:
I think it was a big overreaction to the comment he made last year about rather putting a bullet in his head than travel with all the covid restrictions. I think they chose to cancel him rather than risk him again saying something that someone might take offense to.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/b ... story.html

Plus it seems their new President of Business Operations is going after the younger demo. Maybe Foley was too old school for that vision?

https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/team/jaime-faulkner

It makes little sense given the fact that Foley added a bit of gravitas to the broadcast with his unique presentation, most of the NHL play by play guys all sound exactly the same, in fact when you watch local broadcast highlights on NHL Network the cadence and lack of attention to detail makes it difficult to tell the difference between the broadcast teams. It's as if they all went to the same broadcast school and all are trying to mimic what they think a national broadcaster would sound like. Guys like Foley, Hawk, or Harry Carey were unique and had no interest in doing anything other than a locally focused broadcast specifically for the teams fanbase. If you want a completely failed attempt at doing a national type approach with a local team watch the Cubs half assed Marquee crap which is nothing more than a cure for insomnia at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
I mostly agree, although that is why I miss Doc Emrick so. Even though he was national he had his own unique style. Contrast that with Kenny Albert, who does little more than repeat the score, how many shots each team has, and how much time is left in the period.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Yeah, Doc's descriptions were always fairly random and hilarious.

"ohhhh....a Datsuykian flair and flung from the far side"

"shashay'd from the half board up to center ice"

"ohhhh, glorious maneuver by Kane"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:04 pm 

My personal favorite was "elevatored across," seemingly with no idea of the directions in which an elevator can move.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:25 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Really don't care. Anything after 7:30 is ridiculous for a matchup in the central or eastern time zones.

I can understand that from a TV perspective but a few years ago I went to what (I believe) was a 8:30 midweek puck drop. I swear to god all 20k people in attendance showed up with a BAC of .25. It was a really fun game to attend.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:30 pm 

One Post wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I can understand that from a TV perspective but a few years ago I went to what (I believe) was a 8:30 midweek puck drop. I swear to god all 20k people in attendance showed up with a BAC of .25. It was a really fun game to attend.

That may have been a Canucks or Oilers game where Rogers can swing its dick around for its Wednesday night national telecast. I remember one of those too.