It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4/14 Pat Foley
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Last game tonight. Don't know if I'll make it because I have to go to work but hope it's a good one.

Post subject: Re: 4/14 Pat Foley
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Why isn't he finishing out the season? (Or at least through the final home game.)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:31 pm 

Because everything about the Blackhawks sucks right now? Idk. There have been articles and interviews the last few days and I like hearing the old calls. Especially the ones I missed first time around or actually remember. BANNERMAN! reminds me of my uncle.

It's a huge connection, even bigger than the players.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:32 pm 

pizza_Place: The Forum
The pregame highlights included an excellent "Bannerman!"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Why isn't he finishing out the season? (Or at least through the final home game.)

He was canceled by the Libs

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:13 pm 

Is Rocky sick?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Spaulding wrote:
Is Rocky sick?

I don’t think it’s any of your business. You don’t work for the company. And I think you should get on to the next subject.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:46 pm 

I didn't appreciate Doc until he was gone. He's adorable.

Joe Buck is insufferable. Yuck.

The Sharks game was selected as Foley's last game has something to do with Doug Wilson being sick...I'm not clear on why...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:21 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Very entertaining broadcast. I'm going to miss Foley

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Glad he went out with calling a W

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
cant wait for the Fels article trying to remind us why he hates foley.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Spaulding wrote:

The Sharks game was selected as Foley's last game has something to do with Doug Wilson being sick...I'm not clear on why...

I think that they originally planned on Wilson for being there to honor his HOF induction when they set the schedule up, then Wilson got sicker and took leave.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Something was a bit off, heard Pat say something like, "when it was decided this would be my last year", or something similar, never once heard him say it was his idea. He kept it classy, thanking the Wirtz family repeatedly, but kept wondering why they didn't do something similar that the Sox did with Hawk and let him do select home games for another year or two, because although he was a bit off from his prime, he still was better than anyone else you hear doing play by play.

Had not watched the team much this year and was struck by how much they suck, and there is not much in the way of young talent that makes you optimistic for a turnaround anytime soon. There is almost no forecheck with this group, rarely see forwards on an NHL team play as soft as the Hawks play, they are a long way away from being competitive, maybe that made it easier for Pat to step away.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:40 am 

a genius wrote:
Very entertaining broadcast. I'm going to miss Foley

I didn't want to see the game. I kept thinking talk to whoever is visiting the booth or show more videos.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:51 am 

I don't recall ever seeing the full inside of their booth before last night. What struck me was that Pat and Eddie appear to be practically on top of one another -- very little space between them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:18 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
a genius wrote:
I don't recall ever seeing the full inside of their booth before last night. What struck me was that Pat and Eddie appear to be practically on top of one another -- very little space between them.

I think they’re vaccinated .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:43 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:

Quote:
Again, Foley was one of us, literally. It was as if the Hawks had just plucked some fan out of the second deck of the old Chicago Stadium and put him behind a mic, because they basically did. Foley was from here and grew up a Hawks fan. To say he perfectly represented what hockey at the Old Stadium felt like would do both a disservice. There really is no way to perfectly sum it up in words.

They basically didn't. He went to school for broadcasting and was fundamentally really good at his job. He wasn't just some random drunk. Speaking of:

Quote:
As I wrote in my book, you’ll never convince me that the makeup of those Stadium crowds for hockey games wasn’t 15,000 people who were kept in a dungeon underneath the Stadium at all times except for when they were let out to attend Hawks games upstairs. You never saw these people at the grocery store or on the L.

Once again, Sam believes that all Hawks fans except for himself are white trash that must be hidden away from society. You never saw "these people" because you went to Francis Parker. Normal people just knew other normal people who liked hockey.

Quote:
In my previous life when I wrote about the Hawks exclusively, I was harsh on Foley at times.

You did nothing but shit on him, call him a drunk, brag about how you watched the games on mute, and were otherwise uncharitable. Pat Foley "was harsh on Alexander Karpovtsev at times."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:14 pm 

He's one of the last, truly iconic broadcasters. I'm really curious to see which of the newer guys can grow up in those guys' shadows.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Curious Hair wrote:

Quote:
Again, Foley was one of us, literally. It was as if the Hawks had just plucked some fan out of the second deck of the old Chicago Stadium and put him behind a mic, because they basically did. Foley was from here and grew up a Hawks fan. To say he perfectly represented what hockey at the Old Stadium felt like would do both a disservice. There really is no way to perfectly sum it up in words.

They basically didn't. He went to school for broadcasting and was fundamentally really good at his job. He wasn't just some random drunk. Speaking of:

Quote:
As I wrote in my book, you’ll never convince me that the makeup of those Stadium crowds for hockey games wasn’t 15,000 people who were kept in a dungeon underneath the Stadium at all times except for when they were let out to attend Hawks games upstairs. You never saw these people at the grocery store or on the L.

Once again, Sam believes that all Hawks fans except for himself are white trash that must be hidden away from society. You never saw "these people" because you went to Francis Parker. Normal people just knew other normal people who liked hockey.

Quote:
In my previous life when I wrote about the Hawks exclusively, I was harsh on Foley at times.

You did nothing but shit on him, call him a drunk, brag about how you watched the games on mute, and were otherwise uncharitable. Pat Foley "was harsh on Alexander Karpovtsev at times."

glorious grabs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
Clawmaster wrote:
Something was a bit off, heard Pat say something like, "when it was decided this would be my last year", or something similar, never once heard him say it was his idea. He kept it classy, thanking the Wirtz family repeatedly, but kept wondering why they didn't do something similar that the Sox did with Hawk and let him do select home games for another year or two, because although he was a bit off from his prime, he still was better than anyone else you hear doing play by play.

Had not watched the team much this year and was struck by how much they suck, and there is not much in the way of young talent that makes you optimistic for a turnaround anytime soon. There is almost no forecheck with this group, rarely see forwards on an NHL team play as soft as the Hawks play, they are a long way away from being competitive, maybe that made it easier for Pat to step away.

Kirby Dach is beginning to look like a wasted pick and the rest of the young talent was traded away by lucky sperm asshole Stan for Seth Jones.

From what's been rumored, I wouldn't be surprised if Foley brought up the idea of picking his own schedule and the Hawks were like "no, fuck you, you're done, we'll hold a months-long audition for your replacement." But yeah, he already broadcast during one era where the team was awful, irrelevant and boring so I doubt he'd be inclined to stick around for another one.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:21 pm 

What was rumored?

He doesn't sound like he wanted to be done and I think he would have done all the games this year. This makes less sense for the Blackhawks, imo, from a consumer point of view. Something doesn't add up.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:26 am 

I think it was a big overreaction to the comment he made last year about rather putting a bullet in his head than travel with all the covid restrictions. I think they chose to cancel him rather than risk him again saying something that someone might take offense to.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/b ... story.html

Plus it seems their new President of Business Operations is going after the younger demo. Maybe Foley was too old school for that vision?

https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/team/jaime-faulkner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:59 am 

a genius wrote:
I think it was a big overreaction to the comment he made last year about rather putting a bullet in his head than travel with all the covid restrictions. I think they chose to cancel him rather than risk him again saying something that someone might take offense to.

Yeah, that was another thing where Fels was calling for Foley's head, but only because he loves him so, definitely not because he needs to demonstrate righteous indignation online at his blog job

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
Curious Hair wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

haha, i guess. from 88-91 i probably went to 20-25 home games a year, 2nd balcony - standing room..west end. the goal the hawks shoot at in the 1st and 3rd periods. took off work for home playoff games..good times. i actually believe we felt that our presence at a game would propel the hawks to victory. everyone hated greg millen, but loved ron tugnutt's name. i suppose we'd be ok with living in a dungeon if we could relive troy murray's ot goal against the leafs....game after game after game.

i stopped going and paying for tickets, parking or chipping in for parking, beer and maybe some food due to wirtz' hawkvision. i did get a generous patch from wirtz, celebrating the stadium's 50th anniversary.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Spaulding wrote:

While I always like him, I didn't truly appreciate Doc until he was on the Score and they played a highlight clip of him making all the big calls during the Hawks Cup run. He was the voice of those Cup wins and the majority of all the big playoff moments. It was a trip down memory lane.

Joe Buck is pretty damn good. If you listen to him on podcasts you learn that he is a very likable guy.

In terms of Foley, I haven't liked the Foley/Edzo broadcast for a long time. Too silly and Edzo says the same shit every game. But Foley is the voice of the Hawks in my mind. He should have been able to do the job until it was clear he was finished. Doc started to slip and he left at a good time. Foley has a couple more years left.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:59 am 

a genius wrote:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/b ... story.html

Plus it seems their new President of Business Operations is going after the younger demo. Maybe Foley was too old school for that vision?

https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/team/jaime-faulkner

Could be. I like that Foley would say stuff like that though. I like his honesty and every once and a while you'd get a little look behind the curtain. It's not like we really want to hear about the team much over the last 3 years anyway.

Attracting the younger demo is a great way to get nobody to want to watch your product.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:26 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
I like that Foley would say stuff like that though. I like his honesty and every once and a while you'd get a little look behind the curtain.

I liked when he called out the league for those ridiculous 8 p.m. Central puck drops. Howie Rose was a similar broadcaster with the Islanders, where he would poke fun at "this league's strange concept of .500." He's gone, too.

Quote:
Attracting the younger demo is a great way to get nobody to want to watch your product.

"no cap, bruh, it's called the Carousel. it goes forward. it goes back. it's bussin."

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:34 pm 

It goes backwards, and forwards… it takes us to a place where we ache to go again. It’s not called the wheel, it’s called the carousel. It let’s us travel the way a child travels - around and around, and back home again, to a place where we know are loved.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:32 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Spaulding wrote:
It goes backwards, and forwards… it takes us to a place where we ache to go again. It’s not called the wheel, it’s called the carousel. It let’s us travel the way a child travels - around and around, and back home again, to a place where we know are loved.

That was an incredible scene.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Curious Hair wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
I like that Foley would say stuff like that though. I like his honesty and every once and a while you'd get a little look behind the curtain.

I liked when he called out the league for those ridiculous 8 p.m. Central puck drops. Howie Rose was a similar broadcaster with the Islanders, where he would poke fun at "this league's strange concept of .500." He's gone, too.

was there a 9pm start down in Nashville as well? It was nuts and stupid. He was absolutely right to complain about that and the NBC guys going off on him was ridiculous. The game, like baseball, is a local game. Went to one the St. Louis vs Hawks games when they lost in 7. Holy hell it was late when I headed back to western Illinois.