It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chelios
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
#7 to be retired.

Pearl Jam breaking news

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

Post subject: Re: Chelios
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:57 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Should have been out of circulation before Seabrook got to it but now we'll get to retire it for both.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
What's that, 6 or 7 retired numbers?

I don't know if I'd retire 7 for Seabrook, I'm still pretty mad at him and then you consider the players on the championship teams...do you retire all those? Does Chelios warrant it?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:42 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:26 am 

pizza_Place: Baraccos
Frank Coztansa wrote:
#7 to be retired.

Pearl Jam breaking news

Phag vibe.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Rico's Lansing, IL
For me personally it's a no-brainer for a double retirement, Chelios and Seabrook. Whatever you think of Seabrook's last contract (and we all know it was an albatross on the salary cap,) we don't win all 3 Cups without him.
2,4,19 & 88 in due time.
Real question is double retirement for #10, Sharpie and D. Hull???
50??? Only goalie in Hawks' history with 2 Cups.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
fab4fan wrote:
For me personally it's a no-brainer for a double retirement, Chelios and Seabrook. Whatever you think of Seabrook's last contract (and we all know it was an albatross on the salary cap,) we don't win all 3 Cups without him.
2,4,19 & 88 in due time.
Real question is double retirement for #10, Sharpie and D. Hull???
50??? Only goalie in Hawks' history with 2 Cups.

Sharp was great, but not number-retirement-level great.
EDIT: Ehhhhh, maybe he was…

Not so sure about Crawford.
EDIT 2: Ehhhhh…OK, I can kind of see this one, too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
i wouldn't retire sharp's & crawford's numbers.

chelios' is tough. won a cup early. traded to chicago simply because savard is a french name. played very well here, no cup. resurgence and renaissance with the wings. i suppose there are arguments both ways. i remember ron hextall wanted him dead. the same flyers who loved kenny linseman.

had a coffee with him at o'hare years ago. he was going to san diego and i was going to europe. his forearms were bigger than most peoples' thighs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:33 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Fuck Sharp, no way he deserves that honor.

I think I summed up Patrick Sharp perfectly with my one sentence scouting report from back in his prime:

Patrick Sharp is the worst good player in the NHL.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:36 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
I don't know if I'd retire 7 for Seabrook, I'm still pretty mad at him and then you consider the players on the championship teams...do you retire all those? Does Chelios warrant it?

Chelios is one of the greatest players of all time and was so for his hometown team for a good stretch of his career. Absolutely.

As for the rest of the retired numbers, 19, 88, 81, 2, 7 again, 4.

There's a lot to love about Crawford's numbers but I can't get over the fact that he wouldn't have put up those numbers without elite backups spelling him often and at critical junctures. If he had to put up Marty Brodeur minutes with someone like Michael Leighton backing him up, the Hawks don't win either year (and don't come within a hairsbreadth of the 2014 Final, either).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:29 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Chelios is one of the greatest players of all time and was so for his hometown team for a good stretch of his career. Absolutely.

As for the rest of the retired numbers, 19, 88, 81, 2, 7 again, 4.

There's a lot to love about Crawford's numbers but I can't get over the fact that he wouldn't have put up those numbers without elite backups spelling him often and at critical junctures. If he had to put up Marty Brodeur minutes with someone like Michael Leighton backing him up, the Hawks don't win either year (and don't come within a hairsbreadth of the 2014 Final, either).

He's up there in all time wins, save %, and minutes played, and they wouldn't have won in 13 or 15 without him, I don't think. It was debated at the time in 2013 if he should have gotten the Conn Smythe trophy. The argument against is all his issues injuries and personal, good backups, and the d in front of him was outstanding. I feel like the defense bailed Crawford out at times and yet he bailed them out too. His absence in the few years after was really noticeable. I'm on the fence about him but see the argument for both sides.

Jersey retirement should be for the elite and major franchise players. No question 19, 88, fit that bill - probably 2 and 81 or at least fine with it. I don't know if 7, 50, and 4 do. Chelios was here for about 1/3 of his career - I get the connection and hometown thing though.

Sharp can go in the HoF for hotness and being chased by women but little else. It was like he aimed for the goalie's logo when he shot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:38 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
It was like he aimed for the goalie's logo when he shot.

Great way to set up an offensive-end faceoff with a favorable line change. Less great when you already have Sharp on the ice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:01 am 

I don't think that's what he was doing. He did it all the time in shoot outs when he was up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 1:03 am 

Spaulding wrote:

He's up there in all time wins, save %, and minutes played, and they wouldn't have won in 13 or 15 without him, I don't think. It was debated at the time in 2013 if he should have gotten the Conn Smythe trophy. The argument against is all his issues injuries and personal, good backups, and the d in front of him was outstanding. I feel like the defense bailed Crawford out at times and yet he bailed them out too. His absence in the few years after was really noticeable. I'm on the fence about him but see the argument for both sides.

Jersey retirement should be for the elite and major franchise players. No question 19, 88, fit that bill - probably 2 and 81 or at least fine with it. I don't know if 7, 50, and 4 do. Chelios was here for about 1/3 of his career - I get the connection and hometown thing though.

Sharp can go in the HoF for hotness and being chased by women but little else. It was like he aimed for the goalie's logo when he shot.

amongst contemporaries tuuka rask, jonathan quick, halak, lundqvist, mike smith, c. price...crawford has a worse playoff save %. crawford and roberto luongo have the same career playoff save % of .918. the blackhawks were a powerhouse and didn't need a hasek-quality (.925 career playoff save %) goaltender. i can't remember too many playoff games where the 2010-2015 blackhawks would get out-shot by the opponent and needed a superb effort from the goaltender to pull a game out. it was usually the inferior club that got a superlative effort in goal and beat the blackhawks in a game/series. the hawks were winning lots of series, but crawford usually seemed the second best goalie in most series. crawford was brutal in 2012 against phoenix...OT game winning goal for the coyotes in game 3 from the goal line extended.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:28 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
19, 88, 2, 81, 7 (Seab), 50, and 4 all should be retired.

19 and 88 get statues

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

Wasn't Eddie Belfour better than Crawford?

Especially when you consider it was easier to SCORE in the 1990s.

So if Belfour doesn't have his number retired, neither should Crawford. Some will use the 2 Cups thing in his favor, but I wouldn't.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:11 am 

eddie also had his moments too. good with the hawks, even better with dallas. HOFer. hawks had 2 HOF goaltenders on their roster in the early 90s. the cup final and the spectacular goalie play between dallas and buffalo was tough to take.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 12:08 am 

here are the 2 HOFers in game 4 of the finals at the stadium. eddie gave up a soft goal and got pulled by keenan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-44i5nZTinY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 6:50 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
You have some kind of wall of fame with plagues for guys like Crawford, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, Sharp, Roenick, Belfour, ect.... Keith, Kane, and Toews get their jerseys retired. I can go either way on Hossa. His best years were before he came to Chicago but they don't win 3 Cups without him.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:44 am 

I think that's right.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 7:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
There is no fucking way on gods green earth Niklas hjalmarsson’s number should be retired. Nor should Sharp’s. Kane , Toews, Keith from those teams . Thats it .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:15 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
badrogue17 wrote:
There is no fucking way on gods green earth Niklas hjalmarsson’s number should be retired. Nor should Sharp’s. Kane , Toews, Keith from those teams . Thats it .

That kind of response makes it evident that you don't realize how great Hjalmarsson was defensively. I'm not advocating for his number to be retired but the idea of it is not crazy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 8:44 am 

DAC wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

That kind of response makes it evident that you don't realize how great Hjalmarsson was defensively. I'm not advocating for his number to be retired but the idea of it is not crazy.

No , the fact that anyone thinks he’s in the same class as Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Tony Esposito , Denis Savard as far as being great enough that no one should ever wear that number again IS crazy. He was a
nice player on great teams . Thats all.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:08 pm 

chelios gets his big chicago day today. the past few days, some good stuff on the score from eddie o, d. wilson and roenick.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:30 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
DAC wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

No , the fact that anyone thinks he’s in the same class as Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Tony Esposito , Denis Savard as far as being great enough that no one should ever wear that number again IS crazy. He was a
nice player on great teams . Thats all.

The Hawks, despite their reputation for being an offensive team, led the league in fewest goals allowed in '13 and were second in '15. I don't think you get there without Hjalmarsson damn near being a second goalie. He was arguably the best stay-at-home D in the league in the mid-2010s. I wouldn't say a banner is a sure thing, but there's a very strong case.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:31 pm 

I didn't realize this will be the first time Kane will be back at the UC since being traded.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Nice ceremony.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:08 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Was he sober?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:08 pm 

I am in attendance

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:15 pm 

loved it...great to see roenick/amonte and keith/sharp with all the others. 90's montage was neat.

his main focus was that he's a chicagoan to the core and he got that message across. i had a coffee with him at o'hare in the fall of 1993 and he treated me like i was the hockey all-star.