It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Nov. 19 Hawks vs. Sabres
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 4:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
read that mrazek is starting. recently said he's the healthiest he's been in a few years. ok. good to hear and know. no need to see soderblum leaking and dropping rebounds, failing to corral/freeze pucks in front of his goal. hopefully, the rotation will end - still have a sneaking suspicion the hawks will try and shoehorn soderblum in more games with an eye towards next season. has to work on his rebound-control.

buffalo is interesting. young talent that's rated by most of the nhl media, failure on the ice. hockey hotbed in the 70s, they now throw a party if the arena is 80% filled.

going to play the over (6.5/-120) in tonight's game. hawk offense is due. believe that bedard will get at least 2 points on the PP tonight. kurashev doing ok, reichel still too soft.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 5:04 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
buffalo is interesting. young talent that's rated by most of the nhl media, failure on the ice. hockey hotbed in the 70s, they now throw a party if the arena is 80% filled.

Buffalo was one of the league's strongest markets until only a few years ago, when the ineptitude of the organization and the bad economy finally combined to be too much. I think it was the Jack Eichel trade that did it. Hope they can put it back together soon; those Pominville/Briere/Miller teams right out of the lockout were fun.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 6:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Sam’s - Oglesby, IL
Hockey Fights Cancer night at the UC. I have my scarf from last year’s game.

I think Reichel gets one tonight…

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
The Division wrote:

With Bedard and Kurashev tonight. Different...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:10 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
The Division wrote:

yeah, the issue will be, will anyone take a run at those guys?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:13 pm 

The Division wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
The Division wrote:

yeah, the issue will be, will anyone take a run at those guys?

Yeah, that's a legit concern.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
bout time they put Reichel up with Bedard and Kurasev.

Makes it a lot easier to watch the team when the only 3 forwards worth a damn are all on the same line.

Next order of business: get Jones and Hall off of PP1 and replace them with Korchinski and Kurasev.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: John's
So the Hawks appear shitty again

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:10 am 

Caller Bob wrote:

they'll be shitty for at least 2 more seasons while they load up on prospects. Then probably a 3 year run of escalating playoff success before they are ready to contend.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:19 pm 

More tanking fuck that shit

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:20 pm 

shakes wrote:

Makes it a lot easier to watch the team when the only 3 forwards worth a damn are all on the same line.

Next order of business: get Jones and Hall off of PP1 and replace them with Korchinski and Kurasev.

yeah, i think kurasev has replaced foligno. could see foligno back on it if reichel keeps producing zeroes. looks like perry isn't getting moved off of it.

the hawks have the semblance of a #1 line, but, that's it. the rest are 3rd liners at best, decent 4th liners if we are being honest.

in a perfect hockey world, the 2 veterans on D should be moved down one notch on the pecking order. murphy can't be on a 3rd D pairing with that salary, though he plays like it. when the hawks get good, i don't expect to see murphy on the roster.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 1:49 pm 

shakes wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

they'll be shitty for at least 2 more seasons while they load up on prospects. Then probably a 3 year run of escalating playoff success before they are ready to contend.

i'm thinking that bedard's people or bedard himself, will let the hawks know that he's not going to wait 6 years to play for a legit club.

the hawks have 6 picks (2 in 1st round) in the top 3 rounds of next year's draft. the hawks have 5 picks (2 in 1st round) in the top 3 rounds of the 2025 draft. hawks can look to trade some of those picks for established FWD talent. start isolating clubs that may be looking to tank/dump salary and go from there. some examples here is W johnny hockey on columbus or D zadorov and W huberdeau on the flames.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:21 pm 

shakes wrote:

I think Kurashev was on PP1 last night. I think it was Jones, Bedard, Kurashev, Reichel and maybe Perry?

Yeah, time to give Korchinski PP1 duties, agreed.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:22 pm 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
shakes wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

i'm thinking that bedard's people or bedard himself, will let the hawks know that he's not going to wait 6 years to play for a legit club.

the hawks have 6 picks (2 in 1st round) in the top 3 rounds of next year's draft. the hawks have 5 picks (2 in 1st round) in the top 3 rounds of the 2025 draft. hawks can look to trade some of those picks for established FWD talent. start isolating clubs that may be looking to tank/dump salary and go from there. some examples here is W johnny hockey on columbus or D zadorov and W huberdeau on the flames.

Wasn't Zadorov already on the Hawks? If that's the same guy, I'll pass.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:47 pm 

yes, same guy.

zadorov has publicly stated he wants out of calgary and yes, he seems like a problem child. could all be moot, as maybe zadorov wouldn't want to come back here.

zadorov's salary/cap hit is similar/lower to connor murphy's and as the flames still have playoff aspirations, i'm thinking murphy and a 2nd round pick for zadorov. much better hockey player/defender than murphy. can also play the PP, shot that is far superior to murphy's. 2 years younger, i believe.

here's scouting reports & grades on both players from the same source:

zadorov:

Quote:
Position scouted: Left Defense
Age when scouted: 28
Trending: Under NHL Contract
Projection: Second Pair
Birthday: Apr. 16, 1995
Height: 6' 5 | 198 cm
Weight: 236 lbs | 107 kg
Drafted: 16 overall, 2013 round 1 (Logo of the Buffalo Sabres BUF)
Contract: $7,500,000 over 2 years (Cap hit: $3,750,000)
In his last 6 game segment, Zadorov has averaged between 15:33 - 20:21 TOI
The bulk of his ice time comes at ES and PK. He's contributed 1G - 3A offensively, and he's a (+2). He's also been credited with 9 hits and 5 shot blocks.
Describing Zadorov as a 'Shut Down D' is not factual. He's much more of a '2-way D'. He scored 14G last season, and has shown he has the ability to lead the rush, direct pucks on net from range, and pinch down to extend plays in the offensive zone.
He absolutely brings a physical element. He's dished out 181 and 174 hits the past two years.
An area to monitor is when he gets caught standing still. It can happen in any zone. His read/react is sometimes off. Resulting in him defending / chasing his check from behind.
Stats Powered by Elite Prospects
SEASON TEAM LEAGUE GP G A P +/- PIM
2022-23 Calgary Flames NHL 82 14 7 21 10 80
2021-22 Calgary Flames NHL 74 4 18 22 11 77
Compete/Consistency: 85
Defensive Zone Starts: 88
Hockey IQ: 79
Offensive Zone Starts: 75
Penalty Kill: 86
Power Play: 5
Physicality: 90
Puck Moving/Passing: 79
Shot: 88
Skating: 85
Weighting
20%: Compete/Consistency, Hockey IQ, Skating
12%: Puck Moving/Passing
8%: Shot
4%: Defensive Zone Starts, Offensive Zone Starts, Penalty Kill, Power Play, Physicality

murphy:

Quote:
Position scouted: Right Defense
Age when scouted: 30
Projection: Third Pair
Birthday: Mar. 26, 1993
Height: 6' 3 | 193 cm
Weight: 212 lbs | 96 kg
Drafted: 20 overall, 2011 round 1 (Logo of the Arizona Coyotes ARI)
Contract: $17,600,000 over 4 years (Cap hit: $4,400,000)
Bouncing between second and third pairing to start the 23/24 season
Big body. Right shot. Average plus skater. Average plus distributor making outlets from his zone.
Deployed mostly at ES and PK. Very rarely used on the PP. Provides some depth offense.
Defending detail ranges. He's around the play but his body positioning / ability to contain opponents and direct them away from his net is average.
Some bump / push back physically. Also willing to block shots.
Works / competes to the best of his ability . A bottom pairing option on most teams in the NHL.
2022-23 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 80 7 6 13 -10 69
2021-22 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 57 4 6 10 -14 47
Compete/Consistency: 79
Defensive Zone Starts: 72
Hockey IQ: 78
Offensive Zone Starts: 62
Penalty Kill: 70
Power Play: 10
Physicality: 72
Puck Moving/Passing: 75
Shot: 65
Skating: 75
Weighting
4%: Defensive Zone Starts, Offensive Zone Starts, Penalty Kill, Power Play, Physicality

these guys are with me in that they don't rate murphy at all. i'm thinking jones (r)/korchinski (l) and zadorov (l)/vlasic (r) as the top 2 D pairings.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:29 pm 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
yes, same guy.

zadorov has publicly stated he wants out of calgary and yes, he seems like a problem child. could all be moot, as maybe zadorov wouldn't want to come back here.

zadorov's salary/cap hit is similar/lower to connor murphy's and as the flames still have playoff aspirations, i'm thinking murphy and a 2nd round pick for zadorov. much better hockey player/defender than murphy. can also play the PP, shot that is far superior to murphy's. 2 years younger, i believe.

here's scouting reports & grades on both players from the same source:

zadorov:

Quote:
Position scouted: Left Defense
Age when scouted: 28
Projection: Second Pair
Birthday: Apr. 16, 1995
Height: 6' 5 | 198 cm
Weight: 236 lbs | 107 kg
Drafted: 16 overall, 2013 round 1 (Logo of the Buffalo Sabres BUF)
Contract: $7,500,000 over 2 years (Cap hit: $3,750,000)
In his last 6 game segment, Zadorov has averaged between 15:33 - 20:21 TOI
The bulk of his ice time comes at ES and PK. He's contributed 1G - 3A offensively, and he's a (+2). He's also been credited with 9 hits and 5 shot blocks.
Describing Zadorov as a 'Shut Down D' is not factual. He's much more of a '2-way D'. He scored 14G last season, and has shown he has the ability to lead the rush, direct pucks on net from range, and pinch down to extend plays in the offensive zone.
He absolutely brings a physical element. He's dished out 181 and 174 hits the past two years.
An area to monitor is when he gets caught standing still. It can happen in any zone. His read/react is sometimes off. Resulting in him defending / chasing his check from behind.
2022-23 Calgary Flames NHL 82 14 7 21 10 80
2021-22 Calgary Flames NHL 74 4 18 22 11 77
Compete/Consistency: 85
Defensive Zone Starts: 88
Hockey IQ: 79
Offensive Zone Starts: 75
Penalty Kill: 86
Power Play: 5
Physicality: 90
Puck Moving/Passing: 79
Shot: 88
Skating: 85
Weighting

murphy:

Quote:
Position scouted: Right Defense
Age when scouted: 30
Projection: Third Pair
Birthday: Mar. 26, 1993
Height: 6' 3 | 193 cm
Weight: 212 lbs | 96 kg
Drafted: 20 overall, 2011 round 1 (Logo of the Arizona Coyotes ARI)
Contract: $17,600,000 over 4 years (Cap hit: $4,400,000)
Bouncing between second and third pairing to start the 23/24 season
Big body. Right shot. Average plus skater. Average plus distributor making outlets from his zone.
Deployed mostly at ES and PK. Very rarely used on the PP. Provides some depth offense.
Defending detail ranges. He's around the play but his body positioning / ability to contain opponents and direct them away from his net is average.
Some bump / push back physically. Also willing to block shots.
Works / competes to the best of his ability . A bottom pairing option on most teams in the NHL.
2022-23 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 80 7 6 13 -10 69
2021-22 Chicago Blackhawks NHL 57 4 6 10 -14 47
Compete/Consistency: 79
Defensive Zone Starts: 72
Hockey IQ: 78
Offensive Zone Starts: 62
Penalty Kill: 70
Power Play: 10
Physicality: 72
Puck Moving/Passing: 75
Shot: 65
Skating: 75
Weighting

these guys are with me in that they don't rate murphy at all. i'm thinking jones (r)/korchinski (l) and zadorov (l)/vlasic (r) as the top 2 D pairings.

I remember Zadorov running around like a clown trying to hit anything that moved when he really should be picking his spots and playing actual defense. Maybe he's changed since he left, I don't know. But if the Hawks are getting the goof who was running all over the place, I say pass. They can try to dump Murphy, I have no issue with that. Maybe a separate deal to get rid of Murphy.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:59 pm 

you don't have to lose sleep. reports are the leafs are trying to get zadorov and tanev from the flames - the leafs want permission to talk to zadorov about an extension before any trade done.

flames are asking for a 'high pick' and a fwd? both zadorov and tanev are D-men, are the flames as well-stocked in promising D as the hawks? looks like the leafs have circled the flames as a club willing to dump salary/tank and moving fast. tanev's contract is more than zadorov's and similar to connor murphy's.

i do believe the hawks have to take a few spins of the wheel. no way will bedard stick around waiting for hawk picks in 2024-2025 to develop by 2028-2029.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:02 pm 

What is the ETA on Moore and Nazar? Of course you are counting on them developing which is no sure thing but Id rather see young guys who might develop into something than what's out there now. Size is a problem there though with Nazar in particular. Eventually the free agent game is going to have to be real targets instead of guys at the end of their careers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:01 am 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
you don't have to lose sleep. reports are the leafs are trying to get zadorov and tanev from the flames - the leafs want permission to talk to zadorov about an extension before any trade done.

flames are asking for a 'high pick' and a fwd? both zadorov and tanev are D-men, are the flames as well-stocked in promising D as the hawks? looks like the leafs have circled the flames as a club willing to dump salary/tank and moving fast. tanev's contract is more than zadorov's and similar to connor murphy's.

i do believe the hawks have to take a few spins of the wheel. no way will bedard stick around waiting for hawk picks in 2024-2025 to develop by 2028-2029.

No sleep loss here. Whether Zadorov or Murphy (or both or neither) are on the team, it won't change their outlook the next two years.

I do agree that Kyle from Chicago will need to use "assets" and that cap space to get Bedard some help.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:05 am 

The Division wrote:
shakes wrote:

I think Kurashev was on PP1 last night. I think it was Jones, Bedard, Kurashev, Reichel and maybe Perry?

Yeah, time to give Korchinski PP1 duties, agreed.

no, they had Hall on PP1.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:05 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
What is the ETA on Moore and Nazar? Of course you are counting on them developing which is no sure thing but Id rather see young guys who might develop into something than what's out there now. Size is a problem there though with Nazar in particular. Eventually the free agent game is going to have to be real targets instead of guys at the end of their careers.

I'd say two years at the earliest. I guess it depends on if they want to develop them in the NHL or the minors. And when they sign their pro contracts. I would guess Nazar signs his after his current season is complete. Not sure about Moore.

Agree with your last statement. I'd like to see him make a few Patrick Sharp like trades. Of course, that's a gamble but a gamble worth taking. They have a bunch of D prospects and not all will make it to the Hawks. Trade some of those D prospects for forwards with upside.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:10 am 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

why wouldn't he? that's 5 years. How many other superstar #1 draft picks made their teams contenders in a quicker time frame than that? McDavid sure hasn't yet he's still in Edmonton.

Only took Kane a few years, but he came in with another hot shot rookie in Toews and already had building blocks in place in Keith, Seabrook, Sharp etc.

Took Michael Jordan 7 years.

As long as the team continues to improve every year I wouldn't worry about Bedard wanting out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:05 am 

Fuck that I'm not waiting 5 years for a rebuild. We got Gretzy Jr let's win now

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:06 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
Fuck that I'm not waiting 5 years for a rebuild. We got Gretzy Jr let's win now

Took the actual Wayne Gretzky 4 years before he touched the Cup. 5 if you include the year he spent in the WHA.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 3:06 pm 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

well, as it turned out, zadorov traded to the canucks for 2 cheaper picks. a 2024 5th round pick and a 2026 3rd round pick. the canucks feel as though they could challenge for the conference, the flames look to dump salary. looks as a rebuild, not a re-tool, is in the immediate cards for calgary.

again, i'd take zadorov over murphy any day.