It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:33 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Yeah, it's these cocksuckers again. Again. And they're really bad now! The Preds come in colder than the Hawks are hot, with seven straight losses against our six straight wins. Between injuries and trades, they've pretty much packed it in for the year, and despite their Gritty Grindy Try-Hard reputation, they don't seem to be trying terribly hard at all. That or they're just that shitty. Which is totally possible. Gaze upon their roster and see that their scoring leader is David Legwand with 11 and 12 -- basically Bryan Bickell.

Nashville is mathematically eliminated from postseason play. Conversely, the Hawks are mathematically eliminated from finishing in any other position than first, baby, woooooo. With this in mind, and the end of the 23-man roster restriction, it's maintenance days ahoy! Ray Emery is a scratch, with Carter Hutton up from Rockford to back up Crawford. Michal Rozsival has the night off, which is fine by me as well; I'd rather have him resting now than in the playoffs. Sharp is still out.

With seeding sewn up and the President's Trophy likely, I would be fine with the Hawks emptying out the farm for a few of these final games. I want to see some minutes logged for forgotten folks like Brandon Pirri and Dylan Olsen, not to mention Morin and Hayes, plus rest everyone who needs resting before the Stanley Cup starts. One guy I'd like to see a little of is Drew LeBlanc, the guy the Hawks just signed out of college. He's ineligible for the playoffs: players need to be one of 50 contracted players, or one of 25 drafted-but-unsigned players before the trade deadline in order to play. The Hawks have him for the next six games and then that's it. However, having signed him now means that the Hawks will hold his RFA rights in the summer. If some other team wants to snatch him up, it'll cost them a draft pick, and while it wouldn't be a good one, the Hawks need all the picks they can get this summer. There's no harm in showcasing him, then, either for baiting the rest of the GMs or for the sake of his own development.

The only players to watch out for on the remnants of the Predators are Shea Weber as usual and Filip Forsberg (no relation that I know of), who came over from the Caps in the Martin Erat trade, which experts say was a huge overpayment on the Caps' part. Other than them, it's the usual bunch of has-beens, won't-bes, and roster-hole-plugging Milwaukee Admirals.

It's Pat Foley Night! Expect to hear "BANNERMAN!!!!!", various "Hawks win!" calls, a re-enactment of him calling the Stanley Cup goal since he never actually did, and under no circumstances the Alexander Karpovtsev rant. He's earned his night.

Hawks are 33-5-4, adjusted 27-5-10, just about two points above expectation
Preds are 15-21-8, adjusted 13-23-8, 1.5 points below expectation

Hawks are 2nd in the league in goals scored with 3.167 per game and 1st in fewest allowed at 1.976 (I get itchy about a team GAA below 2; it's like you're tampering in God's domain)
Preds are 30th in the league in goals scored with 2.227 per game and 17th in fewest allowed at 2.659

Let's drop by SportsClubStats and take a look at Eighthwatch '13 again:

Detroit: 31.8%
Dallas: 28.7%
Columbus: 18.7%
Minnesota: 13.5%
St. Louis: 3.1%
Phoenix: 1.8%
San Jose: 1.1%
Vancouver: 0.9%
Los Angeles: 0.4%

Phoenix lost two games while teams above them won; their chances of making the playoffs are infinitesimal. If only their chances of not moving were that low.

Kings and Sharks seem like they'll finish 4th and 5th, or 5th and 4th.

Columbus should run out of gas in these last three games and they'll need help to stave off the teams with games in hand. You've gotta think it's either Dallas or Detroit when all is said and done, with the edge to the Wings for not having a roster full of whosits. I'd say to keep an eye on Minnesota, but with remaining games against the Flames, Oilers, and Avs, they'll get the points they need.

Unrelated to anything specific to the Predators, but I wonder how many fights the Hawks have had this year. They rank 3rd in major penalties with 16, trailing Detroit's 14 and Edmonton's 13. I just wonder how many of those were for fighting. Other than that dumb Stalberg fight at the end of the Blues game two weeks ago, it doesn't seem like there's been a great many fights. It certainly seemed like there were early on. I'm glad they've eliminated that aspect of their game. Now to eliminate Brandon Bollig.

Anyway, this team really sucks. Beat them soundly for fun and leisure.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:58 am 

All that matters now is coming away with no injuries in these last few games. I worry about the Canucks coming up and them trying to goon it up. No doubt they remember what Keith did to D.Sedin before the playoffs last season.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Top stars should play 12 minutes or less in the remaining games.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iviLY1RvNc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:44 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:
All that matters now is coming away with no injuries in these last few games. I worry about the Canucks coming up and them trying to goon it up. No doubt they remember what Keith did to D.Sedin before the playoffs last season.

Yeah, I'd bitchproof the lineup so hard for that game that we'd have to call up Kyle Beach to fill a roster spot. Kyle Beach!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Hockey Gay wrote:

That's what its all about.......if Crawford gets hurt :shock: Loved Edzo's play by play...we got it....they got it :D

I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:54 pm 

Nice that a national audience gets to see that CSN Chicago can never keep its onscreen scoreboard from crashing.

Hawks scored on a power play? God, this team really does suck. What the fuck did they extend Weber and Rinne for if they knew they weren't going to have anyone to put around them?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:56 pm 

Notice how they had the guys at the point all set up for one timers on that PP? They're clearly experimenting. Hopefully it's something we see in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:57 pm 

Haha, another deep Kevin Klein goal against Corey Crawford. At least this wasn't from 95' or whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:06 pm 

Why was there no whistle? Refs have x-ray vision?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Saad!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:24 pm 

Rocky Wirtz just said you could only hear WYEN "from Arlington Heights to Arlington Heights." While no, it didn't penetrate the city well, 106.7 is still a 50,000-watt FM signal, which is pretty solid coverage.

jerk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
C Squared hasn't looked sharp......I don't like it

I'm out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:05 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
I get itchy about a team GAA below 2; it's like you're tampering in God's domain

:(

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:50 pm 

My goodness, what a snipe.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
Crawford not looking good this evening. Yikes.

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 pm 

Eddie and Foley might as well start blowing each other.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 pm 

3:15 of 4 on 3. You pretty much have to win.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Old World Pizza in Melrose Park
HOSSA!!!!!

Oh...Eastern Illinois. They contacted me. I didn't take the entrance exam because I had 64 crayons instead of 3. But I loved going through Central Illinois. Watching people on bad cooked up Tide is the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:12 pm 

What a glorious one-timer. Shame it had to take this long, but what a goal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:13 pm 

Another win? Whatever.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:15 pm 

Blues beat the Stars 2-1, taking a big bite out of Dallas's playoff chances and letting the Coyotes squeeeeak right back in.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:16 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Blues beat the Stars 2-1, taking a big bite out of Dallas's playoff chances and letting the Coyotes squeeeeak right back in.

Hawks will put an end to that tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:17 pm 

Yeah, a Hawks win tomorrow + a Wings win pretty much puts the Coyotes away, maybe for good.

Gotta think it's Detroit at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
Darkside wrote:
Top stars should play 12 minutes or less in the remaining games.